post #1681 of 1691 Old 10-01-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post
That is a small screen. I don't doubt what you are saying, but I still like the Sony better. The Marantz is a fine projector, especially for a backup.
Didn't the guy that restarted this thread say he paid $1800.. Sure the Sony is better.. but for what he paid, he has a great picture with the proper size screen .. ;-)

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1691 Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Didn't the guy that restarted this thread say he paid $1800.. Sure the Sony is better.. but for what he paid, he has a great picture with the proper size screen .. ;-)
I sell the Sony,JVC,Epson,Vivitek the Marantz was worth every penny. 2D and a small screen =
PQ with the lens and iris 1. Of course I would take a 4K Sony instantly.
post #1683 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post
I sell the Sony,JVC,Epson,Vivitek the Marantz was worth every penny. 2D and a small screen =
PQ with the lens and iris 1. Of course I would take a 4K Sony instantly.
Hello Ladies(?) and Gentlemen,
I don't mean to rekindled an old thread but a simple straightforward question.

I have a 130" 2.0 gain silver screen(custom made) in a full light controlled room with Dark matte floors, walls and ceiling shooting from 17.5' away. Would the Marantz VP-15s1 have enough mustard to provide a sharp detailed picture on that screen? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by orunmila4 View Post

I have a 130" 2.0 gain silver screen(custom made) in a full light controlled room with Dark matte floors, walls and ceiling shooting from 17.5' away. Would the Marantz VP-15s1 have enough mustard to provide a sharp detailed picture on that screen? thanks
If your screen is 2.0 gain, you will have good image brightness with the Marantz.
post #1685 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

My concern would be the gain characteristics. 2.0 is a bunch of gain. If you are on-axis relative to the projector then yes it should be more than enough. Off-axis, not so much.

If your room is truly that well controlled, why not something wider angle?

Dan Miller, CTS-D, ISF-C, THX, SMPTE
Field Engineering—Projectors and Professional Display
Visual Solutions Sales Engineering Team
Panasonic Media and Entertainment Company North America
post #1686 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
My concern would be the gain characteristics. 2.0 is a bunch of gain. If you are on-axis relative to the projector then yes it should be more than enough. Off-axis, not so much.

If your room is truly that well controlled, why not something wider angle?
Hello Dan!
Yes it is! No windows, or light whatsoever in the room. Black carpet, black ceiling, and Dark indigo walls in flat finish.
post #1687 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Hello Dan!
Yes it is! No windows, or light whatsoever in the room. Black carpet, black ceiling, and Dark indigo walls in flat finish.
Interestingly enough, I talked to a guy in my area who has been in projectors for 20+ odd years and he still has his vp-11s2 as a reference for sharpness. According to him the minolta optics along with the large dmd chip (and other factors he mentioned) makes it compete with, if not best some of the current entry level 4k projectors today. Granted he is using a 100" screen, I still find that intriguing.
post #1688 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Interestingly enough, I talked to a guy in my area who has been in projectors for 20+ odd years and he still has his vp-11s2 as a reference for sharpness. According to him the minolta optics along with the large dmd chip (and other factors he mentioned) makes it compete with, if not best some of the current entry level 4k projectors today. Granted he is using a 100" screen, I still find that intriguing.
Part of the reasons why it was as expensive as it was. That lens is a backfocus constant aperture design.

But the real question is, if you have that light control, why the high gain screen? High gain surfaces almost always deleterious effects to video (sparkles, hotspotting, angular coverage, color fidelity, to name a few). With that light control you are at the upper end sizewise, but you could still easily use a unity gain material that will prevent any of those things from occuring in the first place.

Dan Miller, CTS-D, ISF-C, THX, SMPTE
Field Engineering—Projectors and Professional Display
Visual Solutions Sales Engineering Team
Panasonic Media and Entertainment Company North America
post #1689 of 1691 Old 10-07-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
For those that don't know, Dan Miller used to work for Marantz projector division. He knows the projectors very well.
post #1690 of 1691 Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Part of the reasons why it was as expensive as it was. That lens is a backfocus constant aperture design.

But the real question is, if you have that light control, why the high gain screen? High gain surfaces almost always deleterious effects to video (sparkles, hotspotting, angular coverage, color fidelity, to name a few). With that light control you are at the upper end sizewise, but you could still easily use a unity gain material that will prevent any of those things from occuring in the first place.
Hello,
The high gain screen is for 3d. Im currently running a three projector setup. I have a Benq hc1200 for 3d. A dpi mvision 260 for sports and a Infocus x10 for movies. All three dlp. One sits in a projector box, the other slides, and the last one is on a ceiling mount. I opted for the high gain silver screen to optimize the 3d performance.

I was actually surprised by the x10 performance. It too has the .95" chip and decent lens. To date it is the sharpest dlp I have owned. Yet, I have heard from very experienced persons that the Marantz, though possibly "dated" is still the cream of crop when considering dlp home projection.

Would the Marantz perform better with a lower gain screen? If so, what finish or shade of color?

In regards to the screen size, im limited to the entry door into the theater. My maximum screen size could be 132" diagonally. I choose to stick with the 130"
post #1691 of 1691 Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Thus far I haven't experienced any problems with the high gain screen such as hotspotting or angle viewing. I will occasional notice a slight sparkle on very bright scenes with bright colors. Nothing too extreme though.

Furthermore, im open to suggestions in relation to screen material or gain. If I pull the trigger on the Marantz I would like to maximize its potential. Again throw distance may range between 17.2" to roughly 17.8." Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page