Upgrading System, advice plz. (pics and TVFool included) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for advice on a new setup. This is a new house so I don't know what is installed but as you can see there are 2 separate antennas with 2 separate rg-59 coax runs. Any ideas what they are?

One antenna receives 9.1, 11.1, 11.2, 29.2 on my Samsung SIR-T451 and 4.1, 9.1, 11.1, 11.2, 12.2, 29.2 on my insignia NS-DXA1-APT. The other antenna receives 2.1, 2.2, 4.1, 23.1, 23.2 on the insignia and nothing on the Samsung.

Here is my tvfool charts:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7d5239bf52be53

Pictures are of my antennas, direction of aim (the top of these trees is where they are currently aimed, 43 degrees) amp and neighbor setup (through trees) that works great (all the red channels I believe) Although it is mounted on top of a 2 story while ours will be on a 1.5 story.

As per suggestion I will be using 300 ohm dual wire to attach the top antenna to the top wingnuts of the bottom antenna then continue to the amp.

Please suggest upgrade options for interconnects, antennas and tuners. Thanks.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
First I would suggest using RG-6 instead of RG-59. quad shield preferably. I'm not the expert but I believe those antennas are stacked too close together. At any rate you're in a very fringe area so those channels are going to be hard to get anyways. Also thosee trees in front of the antenna are going to cause reception problems come spring when they get leaves on them.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is this the correct direction. You may need someone on the roof moving the antenna and someone flipping thru the stations until you are satisfied with the channels you receive. I had to do that in my last house due to trees. I picked the stations I wanted best reception on and didn't worry about the other ones.

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Looking at your TVFool list, your main stations - 2 VHF and 4 UHF from Minneapolis-St. Paul are at 43 degrees, but you also have several stations in the opposite direction... a channel 12 and 43 at 214 degrees and several UHF stations at 233. To get them all, you either need two sets of antennas or a rotor. It looks like you have that already.

The two big antennas you have mounted together (the last photo - another antenna.jpg) should work well for the Twin Cities if coupled together and pointed at 43 degrees. It looks like it's on a rotor so you should be able to tweak them for best reception. You can also swing them around for the other locations, but that second set of antennas, a VHF and a UHF, can be used for that direction. They should be pointed in the direction of 214 to 233. You then need an A-B switch to choose which set of antennas you'll use.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.larrykenney.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.larrykenney.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The stations at 233 are the Godahl towers, north of St James. They are transmitter feeds from the Minneapolis/St Paul stations. I'd suggest aiming at both sets of towers and see which gives you a better signal. The transmitters at 233 degrees are all UHF stations. You could consider using an Antenna Direct XG-91 to acquire these stations. (tilting the XG-91 may help acquire the signal).

Are you down in Minnesota River valley or up on the hill? I grew up near St James and drove through Le Sueur enroute to the Twin Cities during my college days (70's).
post #6 of 6 Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided that the research communication preamp will be the best model preamp for me. Looks like it performs better than the CM7777

Anyone have experience with the 9260A, 9261 9262 or 9270?
Or have a reason I should rethink this?

I am down in the valley mostly but up on a hill there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page