Frozen LNB update? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm located in Cleveland, OH. We've had a large amount of snow recently, and when I went to watch the National Championship game tonight, I noticed that no local HD channels were working due to the Searching for Signal (771) error. I went to settings and enabled the SD channels in the guide as well, and the SD channels (local) come in. Some other HD channels get the same error, some don't. (ie: ESPN HD is okay, cartoon network HD is not).

I searched and read that people were having problems with the LNBs freezing during bad weather and figured that was what I was dealing with but wanted to get someone else's feedback on the issue. I only have one HD receiver at the moment, so I can't check availability of HD channels on another receiver. I'm almost 100% certain that this may be the issue.

Also, I have good signal strength on all except 18 which is reporting zero. I can't remember offhand, but I don't think its ever been zero before. I looked and 17-24 appear to transmit local channels is that correct?

Thanks for any help anyone is able to give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Have you knocked the snow off your dish?

Some the the HD channels are the first to go when my Slimline-5 gets snow-covered.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

There was no snow on there yesterday, or at least minimal that I couldn't see. Tried to fire up the TV this afternoon and no channels worked. Went out and its pretty much covered. Dish is about 20ft up on the roof, so I'll be without TV until it warms up I guess. Can't risk a fall off my extension ladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I duct-tape a broom to a 10' PVC pipe to sweep mine off...
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My old 3 lnb used to freeze up in below zero but the slimline 5 has not and we have had 25 to 30 below zero weather for about a week. Got clear up to -5° yesterday. If you have an LNB cold weather problem, the quickest, easiest solution is to get 4-6 foot heat tape with a thermostat in it and wrap it and some narrow fiberglass insulation around the LNBs. I suppose D* will swap out, but I did the former with my old dish.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jce_54 View Post

Dish is about 20ft up on the roof, so I'll be without TV until it warms up I guess. Can't risk a fall off my extension ladder.

Rabbit ears and scan for the locals. Good back up when you have dish problems including rain fade. Plus I like the OTA local picture better.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up being snow on the dish and not a frozen LNB. The day after I posted it was really sunny, but still cold. Seemed to be able to melt all the snow from the dish though. Haven't had problems since. My next house I should hook a windshield wiper and fluid dispenser to my dish I guess. Oh well, fixed now. Thanks for the input.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM

There are several dish heater products commercially available that are specifically designed to keep snow and ice from building up on satellite dishes. Some have built-in thermostats, some don't. Just do a google search on "satellite dish heaters" and you will find several companies that sell them. Of course, I like the "duct taped broom to the 10' pvc pipe" solution as well! Good luck.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can get a cover for the disk to prevent snow/rain from causing reflection problems from the disk to the LNB(s). But more importantly it will prevent snow or ice from collecting on the LNB(s) them selves which is normaly what caues the reception problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page