LCD touchscreen as a remote control? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have a future plan to make a 10.4" LCD touchscreen into a wireless remote, but I got some questions. I wan't it to simply be a remote screen, I have hooked it up to my HTPC and it looks absolutely swell with the media center, it's just the cables that bugs me.

Powering the screen shoudnt be much a problem, some AA batteries hooked in series shoud make the required 12V. I need some fancy electronics in order to charge them though (as I have understood it, these NiMH batteries aren't as easy to recharge as a regular car battery).

What I then need is to wirelessly transmit a USB signal and a S-video signal. I figure this doesn't require much electronics to do since a simple wireless mouse does this just fine. What I really want to know is what kind of components I would need and how expencive they would be if I were to make a small and simple circuit-board which does this? I see people making small FM transmitters for next to no money at all, the analoge S-video signal shoudnt make that much difference, right?

I myself am studying electronics and I'm allmost done with my first semester.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You would REALLY REALLY be better off just buying an ipad or Android tablet and buying a remote control app. Making a tablet by yourself is a daunting task. Apple probably had thousands of people working for over 3 years creating the ipad. I doubt you would be able to make one yourself.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-28-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plecto View Post

Hi. I have a future plan to make a 10.4" LCD touchscreen into a wireless remote, but I got some questions. I wan't it to simply be a remote screen, I have hooked it up to my HTPC and it looks absolutely swell with the media center, it's just the cables that bugs me.

Powering the screen shoudnt be much a problem, some AA batteries hooked in series shoud make the required 12V. I need some fancy electronics in order to charge them though (as I have understood it, these NiMH batteries aren't as easy to recharge as a regular car battery).

What I then need is to wirelessly transmit a USB signal and a S-video signal. I figure this doesn't require much electronics to do since a simple wireless mouse does this just fine. What I really want to know is what kind of components I would need and how expencive they would be if I were to make a small and simple circuit-board which does this? I see people making small FM transmitters for next to no money at all, the analoge S-video signal shoudnt make that much difference, right?

I myself am studying electronics and I'm allmost done with my first semester.

Do some searching here in the remote control area's of the forum, as well as HTPC, there are many posts about what your talking about, search, read, search and read....

Don't let anyone tell you can't do anything, if you have the desire and dedication to do what you want, you can learn the code and program your own lcd touch screen, I have bought a few of the current lcd touch screen remotes, and I have had to learn the code and make my own apps, it take a bit to learn and do the trial and errors, but it can be done, another source is www.remotecentral.com, lot's of info there as well.

It does come down to how much time and effort it will take to build what you want, as the previous poster commented, it's better to buy something already made, where you won't have to take the time and energy of learning the code, trying it, fixing problems, etc, so it all matters what you want to spend and all about your time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page