Looking for outdoor antenna advice, want to pick up LP translator on channel 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently found out that my local cable company (Cox Cable) is carrying a re-compressed feed of NBC affiliate KSBY. KSBY is located about two hours north of me, but is retransmitted by K10PV-D at 0.1 kW about 10 miles away from my location. My indoor Terk HDTVa does fine with everything else except this station, and I'm considering installing an outdoor antenna to receive it.

I was hoping the board might offer some suggestions in picking up this translator, especially if others have had experience with low power high VHF stations.

Here is my TV Fool plot. For a point of reference, I'm able to receive K26FT easily indoors with the Terk.

I'm looking for either a high VHF antenna or a combined VHF/UHF antenna since it looks like I might be moving in 4-6 months and could reuse the antenna in a new location. But at this point I just want K10PV-D and don't want to try and pick up fringe reception from the LA stations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
looks like very good signal level is available.

Have you considered a simple dipole cut for the frequency (72 ohm driving point impedance) of a folded dipole (300 ohm). You can make the folded from old-technology "twin lead", or the standard from a coat hanger or similar. For channel 10, the center is about 196 MHz, wavelength around 1.5 meter so the antenna length overall about .75 meter, 30 inches. Golly, a plain rabbit ears will work.

Look on this dipole antenna site for some general details

http://www.electronics-radio.com/art...le-antenna.php
post #3 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

^ Thanks for the input.

I've been able to use the Terk's dipoles to get a signal lock of 56% off and on. I'm looking for something 99.9% reliable since I want to record HD shows off NBC with the fewest dropouts reasonably possible. There are also a couple trees near by that may be degrading the signal along with the top of a greenhouse.

This is where I'm hoping to locate the antenna. There was an antenna here before with the mount visible at the bottom of the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Your amplified antenna is likely suffering from FM overload from KTYD which is about 30 dB stronger than K10PV.

Go to a simple dipole and add an FM trap.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

^ Went out and bought an FM Trap from the local Radio Shack.

Turning the amp off and including the FM Trap has netted me a signal strength of 52 on the TiVo's scale, with a SNR of 17dB. The picture is fairly stable, but I get TEI errors once every few minutes.

I'd be looking for a signal strength of at least 75 and a SNR of 23 dB to obtain a stable signal.

Here is a TSReader report for K10PV-D (granted the USB stick tuner is weaker than the TiVo's)

post #6 of 14 Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjckc View Post
I'd be looking for a signal strength of at least 75 and a SNR of 23 dB to obtain a stable signal.
I'd consider a Y5-7-13.

When using an amplified antenna, the FM filter needs to be between the antenna and amplifier. There's no way to do that with all the amplified antennas that I've seen.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

^ Y5-7-13 ordered and on it's way. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Y5-7-13 has arrived. Now looking for a balun recommendation (the one from RadioShack doesn't fit the two large 300 uhn lead screws) along with a mounting poll.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The station transmits with only 100 watts? Low power VHF stations have always been allowed 300 watts and will soon be (or maybe it is already in effect) allowed 3000 watts. Would this station have interference issues with KGTV RF10 San Diego or KERO RF10 Bakersfield if they went to 300 or 3000 watts?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!! And now the deadline has been extended again!
post #10 of 14 Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post
The station transmits with only 100 watts? Low power VHF stations have always been allowed 300 watts and will soon be (or maybe it is already in effect) allowed 3000 watts. Would this station have interference issues with KGTV RF10 San Diego or KERO RF10 Bakersfield if they went to 300 or 3000 watts?
you'd be surprised how many stations don't use full power. I have a few stations I'd have better reception wiht if they'd only use full power.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

The antenna was finally mounted this weekend and I'm picking up K10PV-D with a 85-89 signal strength and a SNR averaging 27 dBm. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can you share which outdoor antenna you are using to pick up the KSBY signal via K10PV-D ? I am located 3 miles from the tower, with clear line of sight from my outdoor Vansky non-amplified antenna.
I test using an HD Homerun connected to the Vansky via 25' of coax. Reception of many other channels is excellent (especially if Vansky is aimed at Boradcast Peak). Aiming the Vansky at Gibralter Peak produces good reception on occasion, but rarely when my wife wants to watch (7 to 10 AM). I ordered an FM trap; any other suggestions are welcomed.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinsb View Post
Can you share which outdoor antenna you are using to pick up the KSBY signal via K10PV-D ? I am located 3 miles from the tower, with clear line of sight from my outdoor Vansky non-amplified antenna.
I test using an HD Homerun connected to the Vansky via 25' of coax. Reception of many other channels is excellent (especially if Vansky is aimed at Boradcast Peak). Aiming the Vansky at Gibralter Peak produces good reception on occasion, but rarely when my wife wants to watch (7 to 10 AM). I ordered an FM trap; any other suggestions are welcomed.

Your antenna is generally considered to be junk on here.

According to their web page the antenna does have an amplifier.

I'd try a much better antenna like the Winegard HD7694P.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked: 5014
Old thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page