Samsung GX-SM530CF - CableCard tuner and media streamer - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #421 of 454 Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Prowler View Post
Well this is bull***** and completely unacceptable. I have had two boxes for two years and probably only reached the break even point. I give a rat's tutu about the smart media functions. I purchased them for their cable card compatibility alone. Without the guide, as limited as it is, I would have been better off just sucking it up and renting two boxes from the cable co. Samsung really needs to address this issue asap. Looking around, I see I have quite a few Samsung devices, but I'd really think long and hard before considering anymore future Samsung purchases. There hardware is usually good, but their support seems to come from North of the 38th Parallel.
I agree. For what its worth I power cycled both of mine yesterday. The updating guide please wait popup has been showing ever since when I press the guide button. I despise Samsung now because they are notorious for making decent hardware but when they decide to no longer support the software thats it, your only alternative is either no support or go elsewhere. Or you can always buy their latest and greatest version......their mobile devices in particular. I am done giving this sorry company my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 454 Old 08-22-2016, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Prowler View Post
Well this is bull***** and completely unacceptable. I have had two boxes for two years and probably only reached the break even point. I give a rat's tutu about the smart media functions. I purchased them for their cable card compatibility alone. Without the guide, as limited as it is, I would have been better off just sucking it up and renting two boxes from the cable co. Samsung really needs to address this issue asap. Looking around, I see I have quite a few Samsung devices, but I'd really think long and hard before considering anymore future Samsung purchases. There hardware is usually good, but their support seems to come from North of the 38th Parallel.

Agree 100%. My triple play ends in December and if I had my way I would cut the cord but my family is not interested. I am looking into a company called SNF TV now out of Georgia which has a beta streaming service. 1080p/60fps and 9.25Mbps bitrate MPEG 2. Should be comparable in picture quality to FIOS. They are having some issues with sign ups but are great at communication and reach out to me often. I can actually talk to someone who knows what is going on. I tried PS Vue for a month and I had frame issues on the PS3 which Playstation CS knows nothing about but it is a known problem on forums and reviews. Samsung is no different. It is a hocus pocus show after the sale. They do make great televisions and I have had few issues with them but when I did support was a joke just like with these cable boxes. I really like the boxes but a guide is a essential part of the box. I have two DHG HDD 250 boxes which lost their guide ability because Rovi stopped supporting tv guide other then internet. Sony left myself and a whole lot of folks out to dry.
post #423 of 454 Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't get Bright house networks to show as a valid choice of providers. Anyone know of a fix for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 454 Old 08-23-2016, 06:56 AM

Oh by the way my wife just told me this morning the guide is again working for us. I would really like to know who at Samsung said it is no longer 'supported' because they are rubbish.
post #425 of 454 Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
Agree 100%. My triple play ends in December and if I had my way I would cut the cord but my family is not interested. I am looking into a company called SNF TV now out of Georgia which has a beta streaming service. 1080p/60fps and 9.25Mbps bitrate MPEG 2. Should be comparable in picture quality to FIOS. They are having some issues with sign ups but are great at communication and reach out to me often. I can actually talk to someone who knows what is going on. I tried PS Vue for a month and I had frame issues on the PS3 which Playstation CS knows nothing about but it is a known problem on forums and reviews. Samsung is no different. It is a hocus pocus show after the sale. They do make great televisions and I have had few issues with them but when I did support was a joke just like with these cable boxes. I really like the boxes but a guide is a essential part of the box. I have two DHG HDD 250 boxes which lost their guide ability because Rovi stopped supporting tv guide other then internet. Sony left myself and a whole lot of folks out to dry.
Sony left us out to dry as well by no longer supporting the html5 youtube updates on my smart tv. I stopped giving a crap about these smart apps on the tvs and boxes. My Samsung smart tv does seem to get more updates though, but I just hook up a Chromecast and done. A lot cheaper to replace a plug-in dongle than an entire tv set. Now if the media companies would be more open to casting.
post #426 of 454 Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieZero View Post
I can't get Bright house networks to show as a valid choice of providers. Anyone know of a fix for that?
I opened a ticket with Samsung internal ticket # 2147688236.

It doesn't look like they support Bright House as a valid provider in the set-up list for any zip code.

I am returning this thing.
post #427 of 454 Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabooher View Post
Oh by the way my wife just told me this morning the guide is again working for us. I would really like to know who at Samsung said it is no longer 'supported' because they are rubbish.
I see the guide is also functioning again on both of my boxes. The box in the bedroom will lose connectivity to the server from time to time. I fixed that issue by picking up a cheap digital timer at Harbor Freight, and I have it disconnect the box from the AC for 5 minutes each day while I not viewing.

As for the knucklehead who told you the box was not supported anymore. . . what can you do? Can't fix laziness. It's like the sales floor associate that goes in the backroom to check for an item which isn't on the shelf, but in reality hides behind the backroom door counting to 200 coming back empty-handed without actually looking. . .
post #428 of 454 Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

guide down again on both units.
post #429 of 454 Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I opened a ticket with Samsung internal ticket # 2147688236.

It doesn't look like they support Bright House as a valid provider in the set-up list for any zip code.

I am returning this thing.
So just another update.

I decided to keep the unit.

I get a guide --- its just whatever I choose in set-up other then Brighthouse as BH is not a choice.

I use Peel Smart Remote on my phone --- so it sucks to not have an internal guide, but I can pick my programming from the Peel menu and make due.

I am having an issue getting a wired connection to work which makes no sense as other devices don't have an issue using the same port. Not that it matters anyway as the Plex app is outdated (v1.xx) --- at least the Amazon app works.

Even with these issues -- this device is the best deal out there if you want to cord shave that I can tell --- unless others can tell me otherwise, and the quality is way better than the POS Scientific Atlanta 5250 BH from their graces allowed me rent every month.

I wish Samsung would support their products!!! Geez --- its barely 3 years old. We need updates!!!
post #430 of 454 Old 08-26-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
guide down again on both units.
Hmmm, mine are fine.
post #431 of 454 Old 08-26-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mine is up now. It was not yesterday. Seems hit or miss these days.
post #432 of 454 Old 08-26-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So just another update.

I decided to keep the unit.

I get a guide --- its just whatever I choose in set-up other then Brighthouse as BH is not a choice.

I use Peel Smart Remote on my phone --- so it sucks to not have an internal guide, but I can pick my programming from the Peel menu and make due.

I am having an issue getting a wired connection to work which makes no sense as other devices don't have an issue using the same port. Not that it matters anyway as the Plex app is outdated (v1.xx) --- at least the Amazon app works.

Even with these issues -- this device is the best deal out there if you want to cord shave that I can tell --- unless others can tell me otherwise, and the quality is way better than the POS Scientific Atlanta 5250 BH from their graces allowed me rent every month.

I wish Samsung would support their products!!! Geez --- its barely 3 years old. We need updates!!!

Unfortunately Samsung usually stops support after a year or so. I no longer get any updates on my 2014 Samsung smart tv also. I wish these companies supported their products like Apple does.
post #433 of 454 Old 08-28-2016, 05:20 PM

And once again the guide is not working. I despise Samsung.
post #434 of 454 Old 08-30-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabooher View Post
And once again the guide is not working. I despise Samsung.
My guide is working.
post #435 of 454 Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both mine were down this morning. Will have to check when I get off work in the morning. The guide is a essential part of any cable box and Samsung should support that feature even though they ditched making any more models. It is frustrating and why IPTV needs to get their act together. PS Vue is the best option right now and they are grossly incompetent at supporting and maintaining their apps on the various platforms. I wonder where the best and brightest go to work these days? Not Samsung or any of these large corporations.

Last edited by theroys88; 08-30-2016 at 08:38 PM.
post #436 of 454 Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 PM

I power cycled both of mine and the guide has been "updating" for the last 30 minutes. This lasted for a couple days a week ago.
post #437 of 454 Old 09-02-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both of my units no information on all channels. I am afraid this might be the end of any support for the guide.
post #438 of 454 Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 PM

Both of mine still say guide is "updating", for the past two days.
post #439 of 454 Old 09-04-2016, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Mine lost the WiFi so guide wasn't working at all, finally managed to reset it and get WiFi back up and running and guide works but no program info so only thing you get is whats on, no extra info at all. I guess that's better then nothing and we can use the Android TV guide for the extra info but what a bunch of BS, sell the thing, decide not to fully upgrade the guide stuff, then claim it doesn't support it.
I finally upgraded to a non DVR X1 box a while back so my 530 is in sisters bedroom not used a lot so not critical anymore but sure frustrating to know it keeps actually loosing functionality. I bought a Samsung HD QAM/OTA tuner box years ago and finally returned it just before my 30 days was up because the thing was so slow to do anything and their support was non existent.
The LG 4200a I bought worked perfectly right up to the point Comcast encrypted everything forcing me to upgrade most of my self owned and paid for QAM cable stuff.
post #440 of 454 Old 09-04-2016, 05:00 PM

Yeah the info part of the guide has not worked for months, but now my two boxes wont even update the timeline. I think I am more annoyed at Samsung and their suck support as a company than anything else.
post #441 of 454 Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both guides back up. Called Samsung and as usual they know noting about the issue. Been trialing Vue for a few months and plan to ditch cable and phone. Depends on what I can negotiate the internet too Comcast has offered me 100 speed for 49 dollars a month for two years. Verizon quoted me 64 dollars for 75 speed for two years. At the end of my TP I plan to use Comcast's offer to match or lower my total. Would save me 65 or so dollars and I would have a working guide and a DVR. Both we do not have with these boxes. What gets my goat is that I am paying 3.99 a month each to rent these M-Cards from Verizon. Without all of their discounts I would be paying over 200 dollars for my TP. With them it is around 160 a month. No boxes only 3 of our cable boxes and no movie channels. The special TP prices are for their lowest tier packages.
post #442 of 454 Old 09-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Both guides back up. Called Samsung and as usual they know noting about the issue. Been trialing Vue for a few months and plan to ditch cable and phone. Depends on what I can negotiate the internet too Comcast has offered me 100 speed for 49 dollars a month for two years. Verizon quoted me 64 dollars for 75 speed for two years. At the end of my TP I plan to use Comcast's offer to match or lower my total. Would save me 65 or so dollars and I would have a working guide and a DVR. Both we do not have with these boxes. What gets my goat is that I am paying 3.99 a month each to rent these M-Cards from Verizon. Without all of their discounts I would be paying over 200 dollars for my TP. With them it is around 160 a month. No boxes only 3 of our cable boxes and no movie channels. The special TP prices are for their lowest tier packages.
At least you can get Verizon. Verizon sold us to the worst ISP on the planet, Frontier Communications. My FiOS went from great to lousy with a quickness. Oh and the guide is non-functional again. I give up. I refuse to rent cable boxes and it annoys me having to rent a cablecard just to have non-working Samsung equipment. My next step is to cut the TV cord altogether.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #443 of 454 Old 09-13-2016, 07:22 AM

My guide was missing for a week. I unplugged the power on both the Samsung tuner and the cableco tuner adapter and now the guide is back.
post #444 of 454 Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswarm View Post
My guide was missing for a week. I unplugged the power on both the Samsung tuner and the cableco tuner adapter and now the guide is back.
I think someone suggested having a power timer to do this everyday. It might be an easy fix.
post #445 of 454 Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both mine have been up for the last week. Who knows for how long I stopped calling Samsung because their CS agents are clueless about this box or issues with it.
post #446 of 454 Old 10-12-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did notice back last year when they fixed the guide issue was that if you pushed the info button on the show, the box that originally had the information was blank. Figured they had to do that to make the guide work. Playing around with PS Vue but they have been unreliable so far. Going to use there pricing plus Comcast offer for 100 speed for 49.99 a month to negotiate a double play for 90 dollars. Vue's picture quality is a drop from FIOS. Resolution caps at 720p and bitrate 5.2Mbps. FIOS being MPEG 2 and bitrates run much higher. Spoke to a engineer and he said Vue and other IPTV services would have to up their resolution to 1080i/720p and their bitrate to 9 Mbps to match the video quality of FIOS. FIOS does have a few MPEG 4 channels which Vue and other IPTV services use and I checked them out last week and they did not look as good as the MPEG 2 stations.
post #447 of 454 Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked: 4083
Dusted this thing off after Amazon pulled their app off of my 5-year-old Vizio TVs. Surprisingly, it still works just fine, though I'm only using it for streaming as I've gone full DirecTV after a number of years of having both D* and cable. Was going to sell it.. now I'm not terribly sure.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #448 of 454 Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Dusted this thing off after Amazon pulled their app off of my 5-year-old Vizio TVs. Surprisingly, it still works just fine, though I'm only using it for streaming as I've gone full DirecTV after a number of years of having both D* and cable. Was going to sell it.. now I'm not terribly sure.
Yep, the smart features should work as long as it has a internet connection and it can see your shared stuff on your network too as a basic media player box so not totally useless even if the cable completely stops working. I'm trying to decide if it's cheaper to rent a basic HD box or keep paying the 9 bucks they want to use their digital outlet with the supposedly free cable card. Wish someone would sue them like they did in another area and forced them to drop the bogus extra digital outlet charges.
I've been using Android media player boxes and a couple of Rokus all running Plex and they do it all and Roku even has a free Comcast app that plays any channel you pay for already.
There are a lot of options starting to open up lately.
post #449 of 454 Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked: 4083
Gotta admit, Bright House was good about it. $2 a month for the CableCARD and that was IT. The only problem I ran into was an overzealous accounting employee who'd delete my sports subscriptions at the first of every month saying they didn't support sports packages for CableCARD users. Yeah, I got a lot of free cable after winning THAT argument. Thanks, FCC.
Dartman and JHBrandt like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #450 of 454 Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Gotta admit, Bright House was good about it. $2 a month for the CableCARD and that was IT. The only problem I ran into was an overzealous accounting employee who'd delete my sports subscriptions at the first of every month saying they didn't support sports packages for CableCARD users. Yeah, I got a lot of free cable after winning THAT argument. Thanks, FCC.
Spectrum only charges $2 per month for the cable card. My guide comes and goes but everything else works fine. I removed the tuning adaptor and can't find any missing channels.
DrDon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page