Samsung GX-SM530CF - CableCard tuner and media streamer - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #451 of 459 Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Dusted this thing off after Amazon pulled their app off of my 5-year-old Vizio TVs. Surprisingly, it still works just fine, though I'm only using it for streaming....

A cautionary tale for those considering a "smart" TV. I mean, I could understand if they just changed something and the app quit working, but pulling an app off your own equipment??

To be fair, Micro$oft has done this sort of thing more than once with WMC, although at least with a computer, there are workarounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 459 Old 08-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
I honestly imagine any "smart" TV will reach a point where it's unsupported and - as technology progresses - its firmware and apps will cease to function. Setmakers would rather you buy a whole new set than to continue supporting something they haven't manufactured in 6 or 7 years. But you're right. It's Microsoft, Apple... they're all very much into planned obsolescence.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #453 of 459 Old 08-31-2017, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Yes, I've seen that happen with YouTube apps that are sometimes built into DVRs and the like. Google changes something, and old apps may break. If the device is no longer getting firmware updates, then you just can't use it for YouTube anymore. Have to go back to your trusty PC, tablet, or smart phone.

That doesn't surprise me, but it certainly surprised me that anyone would reach out and completely delete an app from a consumer device preemptively! Maybe they figured if it was going to break, it's better to delete it than to have folks calling Vizio complaining that their Amazon Prime app had quit working; but then, your Samsung tuner still works, and it's even older - so what could Amazon change that would break the Vizio app but not the Samsung one? (OTOH, it's possible that Amazon hasn't actually made the change yet, and when they do, your Samsung app will indeed break.)

It does make me wonder if Vizio was just trying to get you to replace an otherwise perfectly functional TV. I suppose that might have worked if you didn't own the Samsung tuner, but I certainly would have considered replacing the Vizio with a different brand! No sense rewarding such behavior.

BTW, I've also gotten an "update" for the Facebook app on an old BlackBerry, only to find that the "update" replaced the previous app (which still mostly worked) with a mere browser link to their web site. Took way too much of my time to find the old version of the app so I could download & reinstall it.

It's a bit scary to realize your apps can be yanked off your own devices at any time, pretty much at the whim of the manufacturer - or a hacker.
DrDon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 459 Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaking of hacking...I wish someone would do a 3rd party update for this...
post #455 of 459 Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Code for Funai TV

Does anyone know the remote code for a samsung media player to control a funai TV?

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 01-01-2020 at 07:02 AM.
post #456 of 459 Old 01-31-2020, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more try. Anyone using one of these with a funai TV?
post #457 of 459 Old 01-31-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't think hardly anybody is still using this player at this point. The guide no longer works on mine but it still receives the cable channels with the card and that's about it. I just haven't bothered to dump it seeing how it's in one of the bedrooms and mostly gets used for background noise and news while getting ready for work. There may be some old forums about media players and cable that may have some info but I haven't looked for anything in a long time with the lack of support for years now.
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #458 of 459 Old 02-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
I still have one, but it sits on a shelf as I dropped cable and kept DirecTV.

Don't have a Funai TV, either. Since Funai also makes Sanyo, Sharp and Toshiba stuff, you might try a remote code belonging to those brands.

Just a thought.
HDMI Guy likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #459 of 459 Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I still have one, but it sits on a shelf as I dropped cable and kept DirecTV.

Don't have a Funai TV, either. Since Funai also makes Sanyo, Sharp and Toshiba stuff, you might try a remote code belonging to those brands.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the responses. Mine is in a spare bedroom. I have no idea if the guide works but it still receives my cable channels with a cable card. Much cheaper than a cable box. Streaming in that room is iffy because of distance from router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page