Samsung GX-SM530CF - CableCard tuner and media streamer - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #61 of 459 Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

The Guide does not work, OSD displays "The guide is currently unavailable because the system info is being updated. please try again later"

This is the messaging i'm getting, but I'm on channels where I am subscribed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 459 Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSF View Post

It's pretty annoying that you can't view the guide with just your favorite channels. In fact, I see little point at all in marking any channels as favorites, as it doesn't appear you can sort by them, or pick them quickly. The only place I see any 'favorite' indication is when you press info.
I just picked up one of these on ebay today to replace the STB in my master bedroom. The wife uses that box and wouldn't have a clue about favorite channels or any of the other bells and whistles. I just want a box that can tune to the channels we subscribe to without paying the full rental fees for the HD box.
post #63 of 459 Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Mine lost the data too today. Quickstart is on and all that but it apeared it lost the data I set so I also just went back into setup and gave it my zip and provider again. It looked like the guide was loaded imediately again and everything was listed when I hit the guide button. Maybe it's a flaw in the box or maybe it doesn't have a good backup system if it looses power for a sec or something. At least the channels seem to stay loaded as they all worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 459 Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can someone that has this see if the Plex app is available in smarthub?
post #65 of 459 Old 11-28-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

Can someone that has this see if the Plex app is available in smarthub?

Yes, The SM530 found my plex server on it's own first time I started it up...however, when I clicked on the Plex App, the server's monitor displays a pop-up that it has crashed. I have not had time to go any further than "Oh Well"...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #66 of 459 Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed tonight after eating turkey and coming home the guide was gone again so I tried a few things and noticed if I just power cycled it the guide was loaded when the power came back on after a few seconds, or if I just started to redo the setup page without actually doing anything and it looks like it's tied in with the network being active, so maybe if the network gets powered down on it's end when it goes into whatever sleep mode it has after a while it looses the guide till it sees the network again.
I also noticed one of the lights to tell you it's got something going on is out and the display is blank when the guide doesn't load at first, so maybe not quite as big a deal as it seems. We'll have to play with them and see how it goes but I think mine's staying and will probably be moved into the other bedroom so we can have decent cable in there again and the Motorola will stay out in the main room so we can get the free on demand stuff still seeing how they aren't charging me for it.
post #67 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

it pays for itself in six months - but the real feature for me is the compact size allows it to be used where I don't want a full size cable box.

post #68 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got mine today. It's a used one I picked up on ebay. Setting up the cablecard over the phone with Verizon using the automated menu was a breeze. It's funny because I set up my Ceton InfiniTV 6 earlier this morning, which freed up the 2nd cablecard to use in the Samsung. FedEx showed up at my door with the Samsung about an hour after getting the InfiniTV 6 working.

I got it set up and working on the downstairs TV and then transferred it up to the master bedroom. When I went to show the wife how to use it I got the guide data message. I tried power cycling it via the remote as well as unplugging it and the results were random at best. I went into the setup screen and toggled Quick Start off and the guide data came back. I shut the unit off with the remote and when I turned it back on, no guide data. I toggled Quick Start back on and it came back once again. I just told the wife to leave the box on 24/7. I figure it's still consuming less power than the Verizon Motorola box.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well as searching the web for any info regarding the guide data issue. If the wife has to deal with it she ain't gonna be happy, which means I'm not gonna be happy. frown.gif
post #69 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 349

Used ones showing up already :confused:

It would be nice for anyone with a Kill-a-watt(or similar device) to post the power consumption for ON and OFF for this box. I also wouldn't think it would draw more than 7 or so watts on, .x watts off, but then I could be wrong too and it might be higher.

post #70 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

He MIGHT have gotten the one that was at a Pawn Shop with a great starting bid that appeared complete, yes there are a few out there already. Most are new though and going for more then you can buy them for at wally world or Amazon and right now Amazon has the best price on them. I got mine at Walmart because they started taking Pay Pal and I had enough saved up.
post #71 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's correct. I got it from a pawn shop that was selling it on ebay. It came with everything except the Quick Start guide. One thing that was weird was that the manual was missing pages 17 thru 32. They weren't torn out, it was just assembled that way. I found the complete manual at the Samsung website in pdf format. Apparently this unit had never been registered with Samsung so I was able to register it and get three extra months on the warranty. What was really interesting was that on the registration page they had a drop down list of vendors where the purchase was made and ebay was on the list.
post #72 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was watching that one but decided I wanted new and RIGHT NOW so I did Wally world. I hope you got it for close to the opening bid as that was a smokin deal even if it was missing a few minor paper work items. More then likely you should be able to register it too if whoever turned it in never bothered so you'd have the whole factory warranty.
It seems like a nice unit with a few minor issues that at least I can live with. Mine had FW 119 n it and it updated to 125 and hasn't gotten anything newer since. Was using it to surf You Tube a few times and it even has the play to feature and once I set it up was playing ALL the videos I saved without thinking about it.
And I just noticed you did get it reged so even better deal cool.gif
post #73 of 459 Old 11-30-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked it up for $91 with free shipping so it wasn't a bad deal. It's only been available since October, IIRC, so it's practically brand new. I was only the 2nd bidder and I sniped it right before it ended. I notice that Samsung has it for sale directly from their website for less than $130, but I don't know if there are shipping charges included.
post #74 of 459 Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Does it have discreet power on and off? That would make it very nice for my setup, but then it sounds like it might be good to leave it on all the time.
post #75 of 459 Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Only via the remote. There is no physical on/off switch on the unit.
post #76 of 459 Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post

it sounds like it might be good to leave it on all the time.

I like the sticker on the top of it. Something about not stacking things on it and overheating. I pulled it off first thing anyway. I guess they had to add that since they put the ventilation holes on the bottom. Since heat flows downhill I guess that was their thinking...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #77 of 459 Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:

I like the sticker on the top of it. Something about not stacking things on it and overheating. I pulled it off first thing anyway. I guess they had to add that since they put the ventilation holes on the bottom. Since heat flows downhill I guess that was their thinking...
Hmmmmm......last I heard heat actually rises. :/
post #78 of 459 Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oy vey..ya gotta love people who just don't get sarcasm..tongue.gif

Bob

post #79 of 459 Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Oy vey..ya gotta love people who just don't get sarcasm..tongue.gif
I was thinking of responding to your post as well. People don't get sarcasm if you don't use emoticons to indicate it as such. Otherwise, people will take it to be meant exactly as it is stated.
post #80 of 459 Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry redface.gif about that, I'll be more specific here next time. Tho I would think most posters here paid attention in elementary school and learned that heat rises early on. I guess Samsung didn't. And yes, I know there are a lot of Google masters here on this forum that believe and repost everything they see on the internet.rolleyes.gif

Despite the ventilation issue, and it do run a bit warm I think, I like this box. TW's guide still does not work with it despite the trick posted earlier. And there are some channel mapping issues. Oh, and Plex doesn''t work either. But I think I'll keep it.smile.gif it has just been released and is new to the market. So some of this is expected. Despite the fact that heat rises.biggrin.gif

Bob

post #81 of 459 Old 12-11-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any further updates ? Are these things going on ebay or are they working ok ? I'm especially interested if Plex is working as well as the guide etc.

-Ken
post #82 of 459 Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got mine up and running the Friday before last and so far it seems to be working fine. I've got it connected to the wife's TV in the master bedroom and I leave it on 24/7. I kept losing the guide data if I shut it off and I knew the wife would go ballistic if she had to deal with that. She only uses it to watch TV so the other features are wasted on her. I just bought it as a replacement for the HD STB I was renting from Verizon for $11.99 each month. So far she hasn't complained so it must be working OK. If it wasn't, you can bet I'd hear about it.

I just checked ebay and only saw two of these listed. Both were listed for more than what you'd pay if you bought them direct from Samsung (about $127 last time I checked).
post #83 of 459 Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We ended up using mine in the living room as my old 2005 CRT HDTV doesn't recognise PCM through the HDMI jack like my Sony 42EX440 set does. This box will not output analog sound so older HDMI capable sets will not get sound from it. The old comcast HD box we've had for a long time DOES output analog through it's HDMI output so TV gets sound fine with it. Box still looks and works great, I have noticed that if you give it some time to catch up on the data the guide works after a while so maybe like I thought the incoming network goes to sleep when off and it looses data till it updates itself again. Been using it on my wifi too and seems to work fine and even picked up the signal in the master bedroom so seems to work OK but data is faster with wired network if you use the extras a lot.
I do wish their guide listed the year and episode as it makes it harder to buzz through looking for things I haven't seen yet. I found the comcast online channel guide and it does list year and whether it's a repeat or not so I bookmarked it to my tablet and use it instead if I need the extra info, plus the Samsungs guide shows everything you get and not just your favorite channels which I'd like the option to set to favorites only just like you can set channel up and down to tune to instead of all channels.
post #84 of 459 Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't get my unit to stay connected to wifi, anyone else experience this issue ? I updated the firmware hoping that would help and it still disconnects.

Thanks,

Ken
post #85 of 459 Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WiFi's fine for surfing the web, but not so much for streaming media. You'd do better with a hardwired connection. If that's not feasible, you may want to look into a PowerLine setup that uses your AC house wiring for transmitting the signal.
post #86 of 459 Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

WiFi's fine for surfing the web, but not so much for streaming media. You'd do better with a hardwired connection. If that's not feasible, you may want to look into a PowerLine setup that uses your AC house wiring for transmitting the signal.
Or better yet, moca.
post #87 of 459 Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Or better yet, moca.

It's not feasible and it should work about 10 feet away, I just need it for the guide data. Its not a speed issue, the box keeps dropping the connection. I cant use powerline either because those trip the new AFCI breakers in my house which is a new common problem.

-Ken
post #88 of 459 Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2424
What type of wireless? Are you sure it's not something in your home (or your neighbor's) may be interfering?
For a 10' distance, why not just hardwire the connection?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023208&p_id=3436&seq=1&format=2

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #89 of 459 Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

We ended up using mine in the living room as my old 2005 CRT HDTV doesn't recognise PCM through the HDMI jack like my Sony 42EX440 set does. This box will not output analog sound so older HDMI capable sets will not get sound from it. The old comcast HD box we've had for a long time DOES output analog through it's HDMI output so TV gets sound fine with it. .....
HDMI does not and never has output analog sound, it is digital only. Are you thinking PCM is analog, because its not, it's digital. It's the format that audio CDs use.
post #90 of 459 Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well not sure what is going on but HDMI audio worked with the old TV from my HD cable box and doesn't with the Samsung but is fine with the newer Sony LCD set so figured it was outputting some form of digital audio the old set doesn't recognize. Looked all over and tried a bunch of settings with the old set and audio refused to work so just swapped the boxes. Never really reseaqrched what audio format HDMI uses, figured it could do a few formats and I just know everything else worked with the older TV fine. Maybe I have a cable issue or something that makes these two not play nice, guess I'll have to try some other things or maybe there's just something about the Sansung the old Toshiba just doesn't like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page