Samsung GX-SM530CF - CableCard tuner and media streamer - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #241 of 454 Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I am not sure about other systems but on Comcast channel names will display from the cable card when tuned to a channel or when info is pressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 454 Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by HDMI Guy 

Thanks. Still thinking about one of these.

If you decide to pick one up, the first thing I'd do (if I could do it all over again) is:

1. Do NOT insert cable card into Samsung device yet.
2. Hook up and power on the Samsung device.
3. Follow on-screen set-up instructions. (Cable card does not need to be hooked up during this process, even though the option is there, just bypass it for now. The key here is to get your STB device connected to your home network.)
4. Once you've set up the Samsung device to connect to your home network, download the latest firmware update.
5. Lastly, insert cable card and repeat step 3 above so it can recognize that a cable card is connected.
6. Call your cable provider to activate cable card.

The reason I suggest this method is to see if the TWC guide will sync up quicker since the device will be fully up-to-date with the latest firmware before the cable card is activated. It's worth a try?
Ok, I finally picked up one of these tonight. $99 on clearance at Walmart. Updated the firmware using wired network. Netflix works great. Now I need to pick up a cable card tomorrow and call Time Warner to activate the card. Thanks for your advice on the setup.
post #243 of 454 Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Set it up on the TV with the wired ethernet so it can update its software. Once you have it set up, you can move it. It'll get its channel set from the CableCard and Tuning Adapter, you just won't have any guide data or, as you noted, streaming capabilities. The Samsung I have in the kitchen has been in a WiFi dead zone (or has a WiFi issue) for weeks and runs fine. Wife has her favorite channels long memorized, so it's only an issue if something's on, say, Nat Geo and she has to grab her tablet to look up the channel number.

Running Cat5 to it, today.
I picked one up tonight for $99 on clearance at Walmart. Connected it with wired ethernet and updated the software. Now I just need to get a cable card and call Time Warner to activate the card. Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Does this Samsung box require a tuning adapter with Charter? They said it did with the TiVo, but not necessarily with the Samsung box. And we do seem to be receiving all channels with just the cable card. Not sure if it is necessary to replace the tuning adapter which will no longer turn on.
post #245 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Does this Samsung box require a tuning adapter with Charter? They said it did with the TiVo, but not necessarily with the Samsung box. And we do seem to be receiving all channels with just the cable card. Not sure if it is necessary to replace the tuning adapter which will no longer turn on.
Yes, it does need a tuning adapter for any SDV system according to page 23 of the manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...imized-Web.pdf

In our market, I've found only about 20 channels out of about 700 on SDV, so you probably just haven't noticed. If you don't care about those channels, just leave the TA unplugged. Whatever you do, you should at least return the dead TA to Charter or you'll get charged when ever you cancel. You can ask them to remove it from your account if you don't plan to ever use one in the future.
post #246 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yes, it does need a tuning adapter for any SDV system according to page 23 of the manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...imized-Web.pdf

In our market, I've found only about 20 channels out of about 700 on SDV, so you probably just haven't noticed. If you don't care about those channels, just leave the TA unplugged. Whatever you do, you should at least return the dead TA to Charter or you'll get charged when ever you cancel. You can ask them to remove it from your account if you don't plan to ever use one in the future.
Has anyone been able to get their EPG (Guide) to match the channel list? I also have missing channels with the cablecard,which when tuned to says scrambled or weak channel even though the blank channels have the same signal level as channels I am able to receive.
post #247 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
My guide and channels match. Always have.
I do still get the occasional "scrambled channel or weak signal" but rocking it up one channel then back down fixes it.

Which cable system are you on? Where are you? Do you have a T/A? Which channels are giving you the error?

I ask because I get that error on the sports package channels and have most of the summer, requiring a lot of conversation with Bright House and the FCC. It all works, now.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #248 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do still get the occasional "scrambled channel or weak signal" but rocking it up one channel then back down fixes it.

Which cable system are you on? Where are you? Do you have a T/A? Which channels are giving you the error?

I ask because I get that error on the sports package channels and have most of the summer, requiring a lot of conversation with Bright House and the FCC. It all works, now.
Ok. I called Time Warner and got the tuning adaptor and cable card activated. When I go to setup and broadcasting, I can not do auto channel scan as it is greyed out. I went into edit channels and from there did a scan. When scan was completed, I can get nothing by using the guide which did populate right away. I get weak signal message. I can select a channel from the channel edit menu but nothing from guide. Channel up and down buttons do nothing. Help!
post #249 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Ok. I called Time Warner and got the tuning adaptor and cable card activated. When I go to setup and broadcasting, I can not do auto channel scan as it is greyed out. I went into edit channels and from there did a scan. When scan was completed, I can get nothing by using the guide which did populate right away. I get weak signal message. I can select a channel from the channel edit menu but nothing from guide. Channel up and down buttons do nothing. Help!
You aren't supposed to do a scan with the cable card. The Card+Tuning adapter tells the box where the channels are and what they are. Which is why scanning is greyed out. Not necessary. Try a cold reboot. If that doesn't fix it, try running setup from the beginning. Sounds like you forced it into Clear QAM mode. Any channels it finds won't match the guide at all.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #250 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cold reboot did the trick. The box is now working great. I am very impressed so far. Thank you so much for the help. I appear to be getting all channels. I don't have the sports package so I can't speak to that. Thanks again.
DrDon likes this.
post #251 of 454 Old 09-24-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another question. I can set up favorites but how do I access my favorites? Guide shows all channels. Can I change the guide to favorites. I can edit my favorites lists but once set up I can't find how to use them.
post #252 of 454 Old 09-25-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Another question. I can set up favorites but how do I access my favorites? Guide shows all channels. Can I change the guide to favorites. I can edit my favorites lists but once set up I can't find how to use them.
I went over to my dad's house to see how this would work for no other reason than curiosity, plus it's my day off today, so...

Here's how it works:

Menu > Settings > Broadcasting > Channel List > Right Arrow Button > Change it from Added Ch. to Favorites 1 (or whatever number your Favorites is saved to) > Exit

As far as I can tell, there is no way for the Guide to show just your favorite channels. I tried, but couldn't figure it out. Also looked in the manual and nothing mentioned there either.

Glad it's working out for you so far.
post #253 of 454 Old 09-25-2014, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm on Time Warner,called them & they had to send another hit to the cablecard so i get all the channels that I subscribe to,no tuning adapter need for me ,but the guide still doesn't match my channel numbers.I asked Time Warner & they said that Samsung provides the guide,which I don't believe.
post #254 of 454 Old 09-25-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dove View Post
I'm on Time Warner,called them & they had to send another hit to the cablecard so i get all the channels that I subscribe to,no tuning adapter need for me ,but the guide still doesn't match my channel numbers.I asked Time Warner & they said that Samsung provides the guide,which I don't believe.
I am on Time Warner in Nebraska. I need a tuning adaptor. My guide matches my channels. I believe that Time Warner is correct in that they do not provide the guide. I am not sure that Samsung does as it could be a third party provider.
post #255 of 454 Old 09-25-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy91 View Post
I went over to my dad's house to see how this would work for no other reason than curiosity, plus it's my day off today, so...

Here's how it works:

Menu > Settings > Broadcasting > Channel List > Right Arrow Button > Change it from Added Ch. to Favorites 1 (or whatever number your Favorites is saved to) > Exit

As far as I can tell, there is no way for the Guide to show just your favorite channels. I tried, but couldn't figure it out. Also looked in the manual and nothing mentioned there either.

Glad it's working out for you so far.
Thanks for the help. That is exactly what I did. I added favorites to Favorites 1 and changed the name. However, once I got it set up I can find no place to get to favorites without going through the menu process.
post #256 of 454 Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. That is exactly what I did. I added favorites to Favorites 1 and changed the name. However, once I got it set up I can find no place to get to favorites without going through the menu process.
I'm not at my dad's at the moment, but I didn't do a thorough check, but I recall after saving a Favorite and changing from "Added Ch." to "Favorites 1" I turned the box off for a bit and then turned it back on to see if it was persistently saved and it did pick up where it left off. Basically the way the Favorites worked from when I did this is if you click the CH + or - button, all of your favorites will be found there in the order that you created for it. However, going to your Guide, it didn't distinguish favorites from non-favorites. So basically I didn't have to go through the whole Menu > process. The TV picked up where it left off after turning it off. The favorites feature feels a bit anti-climactic. It almost feels half-baked to be honest. But yeah, that's what I recall from messing around with it today.

Last edited by sumguy91; 09-25-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
post #257 of 454 Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
Mine does the same thing as far as a couple of channels not locking in till you go up or down to a working one and come back. I also hope they upgrade their guide to show the year released and whether its a new or rerun show.
I use the TV Guide ap on my tablet for free and it does have those features so it works OK for me but its another step I shouldn't have to do.
I'd use my cable box out here but the bedroom TV gets no sound from the Samsung but does from the cable box and the Samsung only has HDMI out so no other way to get the sound to that TV.
I know this is a really late reply but I just got one of these. Make sure the audio out is set to PCM if you are connecting to a TV.
post #258 of 454 Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know this is a really late reply but I just got one of these. Make sure the audio out is set to PCM if you are connecting to a TV.
So you can't get Dolby Digital with this box connected to a Samsung soundbar with HDMI ARC or optical? The audio settings only have PCM or Bitstream.
post #259 of 454 Old 09-26-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you can't get Dolby Digital with this box connected to a Samsung soundbar with HDMI ARC or optical?
Yes you can. See page 31 of the GX-SM530CF owner's manual.

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 09-26-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #260 of 454 Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you can't get Dolby Digital with this box connected to a Samsung soundbar with HDMI ARC or optical? The audio settings only have PCM or Bitstream.
To get Dolby Digital you must have the GX-SM530CF connected directly to the Soundbar. If you connect the GX-SM530CF to the TV with HDMI and then use HDMI ARC or optical to the soundbar you will not get Dolby Digital with most TVs.
post #261 of 454 Old 09-26-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To get Dolby Digital you must have the GX-SM530CF connected directly to the Soundbar. If you connect the GX-SM530CF to the TV with HDMI and then use HDMI ARC or optical to the soundbar you will not get Dolby Digital with most TVs.
Does it matter if you use HDMI or optical to connect the Samsung box directly to the soundbar?
post #262 of 454 Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does it matter if you use HDMI or optical to connect the Samsung box directly to the soundbar?
If your soundbar does not support Dolby Digital Plus it does not matter. Both HDMI and optical will support Dolby Digital. HDMI will support Dolby Digital Plus. Optical will not support Dolby Digital Plus. Many soundbars will not decode Dolby Digital Plus but some will. If you use HDMI and your soundbar does not support Dolby Digital Plus it will be converted to Dolby Digital.
post #263 of 454 Old 09-27-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The audio settings on this box allow you to select PCM or Bitstream. But there is no option for Dolby Digital. So which is the best setting to choose, and why is there no Dolby option?
post #264 of 454 Old 09-27-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Pretty sure you need to set it to bitstream if you want 5.1 or better out of it. I did finally get the box to play nice with the older Toshiba CRT HD set by trading around HDMI cables some more. Pretty sure I tried all the audio settings the first time as I'm used to newer stuff and all the setting /weirdness it takes to get some gear to play nice together.
SO I now have the Comcast box out front and the Samsung hooked through HDMI and WiFi hooked up to the Toshiba in the bedroom, still working fine but now I get On Demand and the better guide on the main set like I wanted.
As far as I can tell they have never pushed through any more firmware updates for it so guide still doesn't show dates or new or repeat, too bad it's a nice little unit as long as you know the limitations.
post #265 of 454 Old 09-27-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The audio settings on this box allow you to select PCM or Bitstream. But there is no option for Dolby Digital. So which is the best setting to choose, and why is there no Dolby option?
If you are connecting to a device that will accept Dolby Digital set it to bitstream.

See page 31 of the GX-SM530CF owner's manual.
post #266 of 454 Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone found a method to use the favorites on this box once they are set up. I can set them up fine but can't find any way to make use of favorites once they are set up.

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 09-29-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #267 of 454 Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Been a while since I've used mine directly but pretty sure it's in the menu that sets channels and guide settings. One box shows all channels, the other shows just your favorites.
I seem to remember that some of the settings are kinda buried so hunt around in the channel and guide menus.

Last edited by Dartman; 10-04-2014 at 11:43 PM.
post #268 of 454 Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I am not sure about other systems but on Comcast channel names will display from the cable card when tuned to a channel or when info is pressed.
Same thing works on Time Warner Cable. I have mine wired with Ethernet and I am very impressed. Guide works perfect. Once I got it set up I have had zero issues so far.
post #269 of 454 Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSF View Post
It's pretty annoying that you can't view the guide with just your favorite channels. In fact, I see little point at all in marking any channels as favorites, as it doesn't appear you can sort by them, or pick them quickly. The only place I see any 'favorite' indication is when you press info.
At this time this is my only real complaint with this device. Also the apps available are very limited.
post #270 of 454 Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 PM

I ordered this box along with a brand new Samsung 51" F8500 plasma TV. Both will arrive on Wednesday. Now I'll be able to familiarize myself even more with this box instead of going over to Dad's house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page