PVI VeCOAX MicroMod - Experiences? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #61 of 180 Old 06-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
New toy on the shelf... Vecoax Micromod-3 single channel modulator (note: not MiniMod series)

I wonder if this one supports VCT which is important for some non-TV based tuners to properly tune to station, asked distributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 180 Old 06-25-2017, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post
I owe 2-CH VeCOAX for few days now and I shared my learning curve under link below........
I've been thinking of getting one of these but am a bit concerned about lack of software and other support from PVI. Are they pretty straightforward to set up? Can you change outputs in the menus, or do you have to use software on a USB drive like the one channel version?
post #63 of 180 Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
I've been thinking of getting one of these but am a bit concerned about lack of software and other support from PVI.
I have other PVI units as well, so I have an account with them. I have filled out 2 techsupport requests on this unit so far with no response.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 180 Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I have other PVI units as well, so I have an account with them. I have filled out 2 techsupport requests on this unit so far with no response.
How different are these units from the current MicroMod 2 shown on the PVI website? http://www.provideoinstruments.com/v...FQQpaQodAXAFjA

I have a manual for the one on the PVI website, but am not sure how relevant this will be to the eBay units, as I notice from the pictures that they are not the same. For example, the control panel is much closer to the front of the unit on the eBay ones.

Tech sales at PVI told me the eBay units were designed specifically for a particular customer, have been discontinued, that their support team would not be able to support used equipment, and that these would be hard to set up (without documentation & support). Of course they're trying to sell me a MiniMod 2, so discouraging me from buying one of the eBay ones is perhaps a little self-serving . Having two channels would be pretty sweet though, so I'm sorely tempted to try one.
post #65 of 180 Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, I suspected that they were a custom run based on comparing the pictures.
I have only had a little time with poking around in my units. There are some peculiarities I have found,
since I deal with such things on a daily basis, one should be able to overcome them.
However, as is the case with most commercial equipment, I'd say the setup is not for the casual user.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 06-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.
post #66 of 180 Old 06-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
I've been thinking of getting one of these but am a bit concerned about lack of software and other support from PVI. Are they pretty straightforward to set up? Can you change outputs in the menus, or do you have to use software on a USB drive like the one channel version?
I am going to repeat. This product has built-in web server along with the entire set up in it so there's no need for any type of software. You hook up the modulator to the home network and you access it through web browser where you can see and set all its parameters using very clear interface. There's no software that comes with it, everything is built in. That's the beauty of it.

The tech support is there and so far they solved all the problems I had maybe because I purchased directly from them brand new unit with a five year warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
post #67 of 180 Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I am going to repeat. This product has built-in web server along with the entire set up in it so there's no need for any type of software. You hook up the modulator to the home network and you access it through web browser where you can see and set all its parameters using very clear interface. There's no software that comes with it, everything is built in. That's the beauty of it.

The tech support is there and so far they solved all the problems I had maybe because I purchased directly from them brand new unit with a five year warranty.

Thanks. That is pretty neat.
post #68 of 180 Old 06-27-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Yea, I suspected that they were a custom run based on comparing the pictures.
I have only had a little time with poking around in my units. There are some peculiarities I have found,
since I deal with such things on a daily basis, one should be able to overcome them.
However, as is the case with most commercial equipment, I'd say the setup is not for the casual user.
Thanks for the reply.

Are these eBay units capable of handling 4K? The reason I ask is the photos show the model number as MICROMOD-TWO-Q - 4k. Also the seller told me they were pulled from retail electronics stores, where they were being used to feed the walls of HD 4k TVs, and it seems unlikely they would be feeding them just 1080p. I know it says 1080p on the case, but PVI tech sales told me they were modified units (perhaps 4k was one of the mods?), not standard MicroMod 2s, so perhaps they just used the standard cases rather than make new ones.
post #69 of 180 Old 06-27-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seeing as the VCT's programmed in these units say "HHG1"..I'd hazard a guess they cam from HHGregg..

Bob

post #70 of 180 Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Seeing as the VCT's programmed in these units say "HHG1"..I'd hazard a guess they cam from HHGregg..
They almost definitely did come from there - a web search for the MicroMod 2 turned up a huge HH Gregg distribution center auction which included a few of them - and the pictures showed the same relocated control panel. Since these actually have 4 RF channel outputs - they may have been used as part of the in-store display system.
post #71 of 180 Old 06-28-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have mine working.I was able to get it to mix in an external ASI source to the output, however it has significant continuity errors when doing so. I can intermittently get it to mux in a USB file to the output, tho this seems to be hit or miss and video/audio would not display.
I plan to use this with my DirecTv and Dish receivers. I'll then use the IP outputs for remote viewing of each on my IPad (if that feature works).

Bob

post #72 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143

Quote:

esdwa:

I just hooked my "HHGregg" VeCOAX MicroMod 2 to my home network.
A network scan shows it's there, and I get a 1 ms ping to the "NMS" address.
I get a small welcome screen on my browser when I type in the the "NMS" address.
It shows:
Sign in to your account
Username
Password
<button>Sign in
Nothing is filled in, and I have no idea where to start.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Nat Hill IV
post #73 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
esdwa:

I just hooked my "HHGregg" VeCOAX MicroMod 2 to my home network.
A network scan shows it's there, and I get a 1 ms ping to the "NMS" address.
I get a small welcome screen on my browser when I type in the the "NMS" address.
It shows:
Sign in to your account
Username
Password
<button>Sign in
Nothing is filled in, and I have no idea where to start.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Nat Hill IV
Try word "admin" for both username and password.

post #74 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try word "admin" for both username and password.

You are DA MAN!
Worked like a charm.
Have a sneaking suspicion this unit has abilities far beyond mine, also think I got the bargain of the century.
bar code stickers refers to it as a "TWO-Q-4k!"

Thanks so much for the quick and very helpful response.
post #75 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

I take it back.
The unit absolutely has abilities far beyond mine, and I am now firmly convinced I got the bargain of the century.
Now that is all assuming I can make it do what I think it's capable of, which is an entirely different story.
These things are all over Ebay. I would guess several folks got them from different HHGregg locations, but that's just a guess.

Thanks again!
post #76 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 AM

You may be able to verify 4K capability by going to the Input tab scrolling page down and checking the resolution drop down list to see something beyond full HD,
let me know, I'm curious. Cheers

post #77 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You may be able to verify 4K capability by going to the Input tab scrolling page down and checking the resolution drop down list to see something beyond full HD,
let me know, I'm curious. Cheers

Unless "auto" can go beyond what is shown, the highest resolution I see listed is 1920*1080_60i.
But I don't pretend to be an expert with this fantastic modulator just yet!
post #78 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
Unless "auto" can go beyond what is shown, the highest resolution I see listed is 1920*1080_60i.
But I don't pretend to be an expert with this fantastic modulator just yet!
To verify this, leave to Auto and feed it with 4K.
I am afraid nothing will go beyound what's on the list. I even found 480p does not...it's not listed either.

post #79 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
I read a note where the 4K capability is via USB only

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 06-29-2017 at 03:22 PM.
post #80 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
To verify this, leave to Auto and feed it with 4K.
I am afraid nothing will go beyound what's on the list. I even found 480p does not...it's not listed either.

On my way out the door for a family vacation, and I don't have a 4K source at hand.
Later!

I will fool with it when I get back late next week.
This is fascinating stuff....
post #81 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I read a note where the 4K capability is via a USB only
Correct.
I have multiple transport streams recorded from various 4k sources on satellite..these will play on a USB stick/hard drive on some Sharp, Sony and other Tv's and 4k Players. I have yet to get any of them to play on the Micromod 2. Maybe its looking for a program stream instead of a transport stream. It does indicate the USB stick is present tho.

Bob

post #82 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Correct.
I have multiple transport streams recorded from various 4k sources on satellite..these will play on a USB stick/hard drive on some Sharp, Sony and other Tv's and 4k Players. I have yet to get any of them to play on the Micromod 2. Maybe its looking for a program stream instead of a transport stream. It does indicate the USB stick is present tho.
Hm... I do not believe 4k can be supported in any way for this modulator version on RF output as ATSC, DVB do not support anything above 1920x1080.

ATSC 3.0 will but firmware is yet to be available for units under active service contract.

It is possible however, the HDMI input except 4K resolution but based on other user input as well as my new unit, the max is full HD.

Lastly, the 4K may be indicating this unit is 4K upgradeable which is something I received as note from the manufacturer just before I purchased the new unit from them. Again I was told the software will be available at the later time with ATSC 3.0 release and most likely would require sending the unit back to them for reflashing.

Time will tell, we'll see.

post #83 of 180 Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 PM

As I am using this unit, I learned that it is pretty versatile in terms of handling different modulation standards across the globe. And to me it looks like something called "a version for particular customer" is just a configuration that has been set up before shipping to unit. This way the modulator can be just plugged in and used as intended. This is a standard practice for most vendors who sell modulators just to make sure customer satisfaction.
Just like when I was ordering one they asked me to give them information about my sources and about the TVs I'm going to use so they would send me pre-configured unit to "Plug and Play".

That does not prevent me from altering this configuration through modulator setup menu accessible through web browser with modulator hooked up to home network.

I created multiple configurations for each modulation standard and I saved each one of them in a separate binary file for later use. This helps me to switch the configuration as often as I want in case I have to test different receivers I am working with. This is probably rare occasion to use this modulator in this particular way because most of the customers just set it once and forget. But it is absolutely possible.

post #84 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hm... I do not believe 4k can be supported in any way for this modulator version on RF output as ATSC, DVB do not support anything above 1920x1080.
In this discussion modulation scheme is irrelevant to the transport stream being carried, as long as there is sufficient bandwidth to carry the transport stream. NASA Tv's UHD channel is distributed via DVB-S, most all of the other 4K streams on US C-Band are DVB-S2.

There should not be any issue feeding a 4K stream via ASI to this unit. I have done it with NASA (and a few other 4k streams) via ASI using various commercial decoders and QAM modulators. Sharp's 4k Tv I have and a few other Tv's will play 4k this way just fine.
One could feed same to an ATSC modulator, and decode it using the appropriate commercial decoders. Some 4k Tv's may also work by chance. Both tests are on my agenda when I get time.

I have a Roku 4..I have not yet connected it to the Micromod 2 on the off hand chance that it may then allow 4K input selection in the pull down menu. But I'm not optimistic.

Bob

post #85 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 12:34 PM

There is no 4k in pull down menu on micromod 2ch. There is not even 480p.

Supported input only:
480i
576i
720p50
720p60
1080i50
1080i60
1080p50
1080p60

I do not use ASI and ATSC is not ASI neither vice versa. USB is not an option either.

Interesting to hear some 4k TV with ATSC tuner may pick up 4k. Maybe, but unlikely with this product.

Anyone here with 4k TV to try?

post #86 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've done some experiments with 4K content from YouTube. Unfortunately, the H.264 content on YouTube is encoded with a very high peak bit-rate that makes it difficult to produce a fully compliant Transport Stream.

Although the average bit-rate is around 20 to 25 Mbps, the peak bit-rate can be up to 50 Mbps. The only terrestrial standard that can currently handle that is DVB-T2. With my SDR based modulator, I'm using a modified BBC DVB-T2 profile with 5/6 rate FEC that delivers 50.324472 Mbps.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #87 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 PM

I have been oferred to replace my 2-ch micromod with two 1-ch micromod 3's , which as told support DVB/T/C/T2 and Chinese DTMB nd ATSC.

Anyone have any experience with this model?

post #88 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Just FYI, I'm using a USB dongle for my DVB-T2 experiments. Otherwise, I would have had to import a TV from Europe.

http://www.pctvsystems.com/Products/...B/Default.aspx

I actually had to import my first one. Now, you can buy them in the US.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/websto..._pctv292e.html
markrubin and esdwa like this.

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #89 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 05:13 PM

But that's tuner, not modulator. I get you use this along with modulator to transfer video from ext hdmi source to pc. I used to use Blackmagic with Thunderbolt interface to Mac, cheaper.

For the micromod 3, just realized they stripped Toslink audio input present in 2-ch version. I use it to feed 5.1 AC3 stream demuxed by PS3 from any source above, like HD-Audio (DTS-HD, Dolby-HD, etc.) which my DVHS deck ATSC tuner wont accept directly, unless demuxed to said 5.1 AC3.

So for me it's deal breaker for mm-3.

Last edited by esdwa; 07-01-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #90 of 180 Old 06-30-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
Just FYI, I'm using a USB dongle for my DVB-T2 experiments. Otherwise, I would have had to import a TV from Europe.
Hey Ron, I bought one of those for the same reason a few years ago and have never gotten around to using it.
Maybe one day..

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page