PVI VeCOAX MicroMod - Experiences? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #121 of 180 Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
Thanks. I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll give that a shot on Monday
I thought this might be the problem, but I was adjusting the setting in the wrong direction (eg. 19500), thinking I was increasing the maximum allowable bitrate, and of course it wasn't helping. As you can tell, I don't know a great deal about AV . I'm learning something new everyday though.
You can keep max 19500 video bitrate in QAM mode, where max video bitrates are below 28Mbps and 40Mbps for 64QAM and 256QAM respectively.

Btw, QAM mode is selected in this modulator by setting DVB-C mode using front panel, power cycling and then ensuring modulation is set to J.83b via web interface.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by esdwa; 07-09-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 180 Old 07-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
LOL. All I can say is that it would be hard to know less about this than I do .
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll give that a shot on Monday.
As far as the signal strength difference you see, I think your meter may read dB millivolts whereas the setting on the MicroMod is in dBm. It says in the manual that the -10dBm max setting setting is equivalent to +45 dB millivolts.
When one buys an HHGregg special, one doesn't get a manual!
I'll bet the bitrate others have mentioned is probably the real issue.
post #123 of 180 Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 PM

There is no need to bet.
My unit came with manual.

And the manual describes limits of this product ,like internal MPEG encoder max bitrate of 19500.

Parsing encoded stream from USB directly to modulating section for example is a different story and different rules as it bypasses encoder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 180 Old 07-09-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 221
In a 6mhz us cable channel (per ANSI/SCTE 07 2000) Usable bit rate is:

64-QAM = 26.970 mb/s
256 QAM = 38.811 mb/s

Any thing higher may work but will result in video breakup due to over-subscription of the mux.
Which is what some of you have seen when this unit is in ATSC mode with the video rate too high.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #125 of 180 Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
When one buys an HHGregg special, one doesn't get a manual!
I'll bet the bitrate others have mentioned is probably the real issue.
Mine's an HHGregg special too, but the seller was able to provide a copy of the manual. He told me that one of the units he bought came with a USB drive taped to the back, which contained the manual and some sample configuration files. If anyone wants a copy of the files he sent me, just PM me with your e-mail address and I can e-mail them to you.

Can anyone tell me what the Channel 4 LED is indicating on these? The Channel 4 LED is always lit up green on mine.
markrubin likes this.
post #126 of 180 Old 07-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,
I have an older channel plus system that takes composite videos and puts every input on their own RF channel. This is then combined with off the air antenna and distributed throughout my house. In addition I had some converters that converted HDMI to a composite signal with some signal degradation. All was working well for several years until recently due to a lightning strike. I have been looking at replacing them with some type of HDMI to RF modulator and have read through this thread. Now I am confused on if ATSC or QAM is the way to go. Most all of my televisions are only a couple of years old except for 2 that are about 7 years old. I have found 2 PVI VeCoax units on Ebay that may work but I don’t know the difference between them. One is model number PRO4-MS-HD-A ATSC and the other is PRO4-MS-HD-A ATSO. I have never heard of ATSO. Does anyone know about ATSO? I appreciate any help or recommendations. I can't post links yet but the ebay item numbers are 132201704878 and 282518110381
post #127 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 05:16 AM

It's obviously a mistype.
This 2-ch PVI micromod on eBay is a steal, you can't get better that this. I have two TV, both 7+ yrs old and they both are ATSC compatible and work like a charm.

post #128 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post
This 2-ch PVI micromod on eBay is a steal, you can't get better that this. I have two TV, both 7+ yrs old and they both are ATSC compatible and work like a charm.
Yes they are..Tho not exactly a breeze for a novice to setup.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #129 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the Channel 4 LED is indicating on these? The Channel 4 LED is always lit up green on mine.
From what I learned so far, the platform used for PVI MM2 is 4-channel ready, however stripped down to 2 encoders for this model. The configuration also seem universal showing options for 4 channels total while only 2 primary are actually utilized.

However, yesterday I managed to use 3rd RF channel and route USB into it using mux tab and setting. It worked. I guess, I can do the same for ASI as well for ch 4 for example and get total of 4 programs on my TV.

Anyone tried that also?

Last edited by esdwa; 07-10-2017 at 06:05 AM.
post #130 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
, I can do the same for ASI as well for ch 4 for example and get total of 4 programs on my TV.

Anyone tried that also?
ASi to a modulator works fine. You "can" mix it with the internal mods, but it spits out continuity errors,
so best to assign the ASI input to it's own modulator, which works very well.

Bob

post #131 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up buying 4 of the Micromod-2 on Ebay.
Does anyone have a copy of the user manual that they can send to me?
post #132 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It means you exceeded 19.3Mbps bitrate in ATSC mode which causes TS overflow error. This error is clearly indicated in the web interface and also can be read from modulator front panel when red light is on.

Set video bitrate to 18300 or lower in encoder parameter and problem should go away.

Remember, the default encoder bitrate is 19000 which will cause TS error everytime you switch to ATSC. Manual bitrate adjustment solves it.

Thanks. Just tried this and it works perfectly. I still haven't figured out why it thinks I have an input on Channel 4 though (LED lit green). I'm sure it's something in my config settings, but i haven't figured out what yet. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
post #133 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
Quote:
Thanks. Just tried this and it works perfectly. I still haven't figured out why it thinks I have an input on Channel 4 though (LED lit green). I'm sure it's something in my config settings, but i haven't figured out what yet. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
mine also has ch 4 LED on, even though I shut off channels 3 and 4 in the GUI

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #134 of 180 Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
You got that right! (Mr. Novice speaking here)
post #135 of 180 Old 07-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I agree with Mark. Start at default and then see how it reacts from there. I had mine higher but I was feeding my whole house.

cpalmer , are you the same person that messaged me on TiVo Community Forum? If so, I'm not able to reply to you there. I've been banned......don't ask! PM me here if you need to ask me anything more.
Sounds like you have some experience connecting MicroMod to Tivo. I'm curious if you can do this with QAM or only with ATSC? I've got my MicroMod 2 working with my Tivo Bolt in ATSC node, but I can't see any way to make the Tivo scan for cable channels. It simply asks for a provider and provides a list of channels based on that information. It also really wants a Cablecard to be present. While I do have a CableCard, if I use it, the Tivo then wants me to activate it with a provider (which I no longer have). It seems like there should be some way of connecting to the QAM channel coming from the MicroMod, but I'm having problems figuring it out. Or maybe it's just not possible? Any pointers would be most welcome.
post #136 of 180 Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello!

I have had no issues with Roku or DirecTV, but I have one source that refuses to work (Security system NVR, main reason for purchase lol). When the NVR is used, I can sort of make out the image, it just has lines across it at jitters all over the screen. Oddly, it has cleared up and worked beautifully once.

I dont even know where to start looking. NVR is outputting 1920*1080/60Hz, MicroMod2 recognizes signal and displays it at such, but the bitrate goes all over the place. Seems to be even worse at 720p.

Anyone have any ideas for a rookie? I assume the NVR its something with the output format coming from NVR, but I dont know why it all of a sudden worked perfect for about an hour, then went back to its old self. I can literally swap the source and it works perfect again, so im sure its the NVR causing the headaches, probably the 60hz locked setting?

Is it the 60Hz setting messing up that source?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-15_22-43-02.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	2239041  
post #137 of 180 Old 07-16-2017, 05:29 AM

I seem to have solved my issue. I dont know why, but when running a cheap HDMI splitter in between the NVR box and the MicroMod, it works perfect. I hooked my Windows server up to the MicroMod, and it displayed fine at 1920x1080 at both 60hz and 50hz.

The splitter may or may not be known to be HDCP noncompliant..... Could this have been an HDCP issue? I mean I dont know why the NVR would be using HDCP? But thats all I can think of at this point, as the same exact resolution and refresh rate work fine on a PC over same input.

Thoughts?

MicroMod is working awesome! Picture is incredible, no dropouts or anything that ive detected yet.
post #138 of 180 Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
^^^

using an HDMI splitter often solves issues like this: it can maintain the HDMI handshake as the resolution of the source changes

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #139 of 180 Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
mine also has ch 4 LED on, even though I shut off channels 3 and 4 in the GUI
I notice that the Channel 4 light goes off if I turn off RF1. Still no idea why though.
post #140 of 180 Old 07-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Sort of working

Well I had a bit of a breakthrough with my HHGregg MicroMod2 today. After struggling to find the cause of an audio dropout I was getting approximately every 4-1/2 minutes, both in QAM and ATSC, I finally tracked it down to the Gen 2 FireTV box that I'm feeding to one of the HDMI channels. There seems to be some sort of audio conflict between it and the MicroMod. I replaced the FireTV with a Gen 3 AppleTV I had lying around, and the dropouts vanished. As well as the dropouts, the audio and video are also very slightly out of sync with the FireTV, and this also vanished with the AppleTV. I did an internet search and there are quite a lot of audio problem reports regarding the FireTV, but no information on a fix that I could find, other than turning off Dolby, which I've already tried unsuccessfully. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Unfortunately you can't load apps on the Gen 3 AppleTV, and none of the Live TV streaming apps I want to use are pre-loaded by Apple, so it looks like I may have to buy a Gen 4 and hope that it too is audibly compatible with the MicroMod.
post #141 of 180 Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just curious if anyone has tried these devices out with standard definition video sources yet? I've got a ton of videotape recordings I have never transferred to DVD because many were recorded in LP or EP modes and swapping discs 3 times is a pain. I'm planning to hook my DVD Recorder/VHS player up to this and modulate the signal into my TiVo. I'll do "manual" recordings for the length of each tape, and then edit on the PC.
post #142 of 180 Old 07-20-2017, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Just curious if anyone has tried these devices out with standard definition video sources yet?.
Works fine.

Bob

post #143 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thndr View Post
Hello!

I have had no issues with Roku or DirecTV .....
Which Roku device are you using? I'm trying to use a Fire TV box, but it's causing audio dropouts. It looks like I may have to buy something else, and it would be nice to try something that someone else has had success with.
post #144 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Which Roku device are you using? I'm trying to use a Fire TV box, but it's causing audio dropouts. It looks like I may have to buy something else, and it would be nice to try something that someone else has had success with.
I tried an XS. I also have a newer model. Ill try them over the weekend and let you know. How freq are your audio dropouts?
post #145 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thndr View Post
I tried an XS. I also have a newer model. Ill try them over the weekend and let you know. How freq are your audio dropouts?
Approximately every 4-1/2 minutes with both ATSC and QAM, so at least it's not one of those really annoying faults that only occurs at lengthy intervals .

I have an older Apple TV (Gen 3), and it works perfectly, so it seems to be an issue with the FireTV. Unfortunately the Gen 3 Apple TV doesn't have all the apps I want to use, and it's a closed system. You can't add apps and, since it's not the current model, it's unlikely Apple will update the included apps.
post #146 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Anyone know best way to setup the 2-CH Micromod to be used along with OTA antenna?

I have tried to lower output level signal to -30 but it still masks some of my OTA channels.
Result is both my LCD TVs (with built in ATSC tuner) are catching the modulator channels but not all OTA ones (less than half which is really bad).

I looked at local channel list on FCC website
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
to set modulator frequencies away from occupied by OTA but this webstite do not show ch.frequencies.

I guess I am missing something here and I appreciate suggestions.
post #147 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Anyone know best way to setup the 2-CH Micromod to be used along with OTA antenna?

I have tried to lower output level signal to -30 but it still masks some of my OTA channels.
Result is both my LCD TVs (with built in ATSC tuner) are catching the modulator channels but not all OTA ones (less than half which is really bad).

I looked at local channel list on FCC website
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
to set modulator frequencies away from occupied by OTA but this webstite do not show ch.frequencies.

I guess I am missing something here and I appreciate suggestions.
I would try more attenuation. If that doesn't work, then the output of the Micromod may be too "dirty". That is, it's signal is not entirely confined to one channel.

http://www.markertek.com/product/ppf...nuator-pad-3db

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #148 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

Thanks Ron,
I see 3, 6 and 12dB models. Should I stick to 3dB or get 6 or 12dB one and then have some leverage on boosting modulator output if signal is too weak?

post #149 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 44
PVI VeCOAX MicroMod - Experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa
Thanks Ron,
I see 3, 6 and 12dB models. Should I stick to 3dB or get 6 or 12dB one and then have some leverage on boosting modulator output if signal is too weak?

I have a bunch of 12db's, will be happy to send some your way
post #150 of 180 Old 07-21-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I have a bunch of 12db's, will be happy to send some your way
So do you think the entire MicroMod output (including the injected OTA channels) is amplified by -30 dBm (or whatever is set), or is the amplification only applied to the MacroMod channels? I'm wondering if the OTA signal will have to be amplified separately to compensate for attenuating the MicroMod output (plus there's a 6 dB injection loss)?

I'm planning to do this myself as soon as the temperature in my attic drops enough to install an antenna up there (probably not 'till fall )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page