The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 61 Old 11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExigeS View Post

It will not take a cable card, it's too old. I am looking for a solution that does not cost me a monthly fee. Thanks for looking into it smile.gif

The Sony DHG can take a cablecard. Used to be Verizon gave the first card free. I don't think that's the case anymore. $5/month, I believe. But you probably would not get much use out of the DHG as even with a cablecard, you'd get no EPG and the clock would be messed up for manual recordings. Sorry. Gotta look elsewhere.

Reunite Pangea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2090 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Updated the first post a little, adding the Samsung Media Player and TiVo Roamio.

Feel free to add suggestions and updates and I'll keep it updated as best I can.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #33 of 61 Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I did not see the CM-7500 DVR+ on the list unless I missed it. And the PHD-208 from ePVision. And the PHD-VRX has now been replaced with the VRX2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not happy with the Prime DTV PHD 208. While it has good HD picture they have a design flaw in that HDMI audio output only does stereo and to get 5.1 you have to connect a toslink optical cable. Okay but many receivers like my Onkyo 807 ignore anything else when HDMI audio is detected as HDMI is expected to be highest quality. To work around this design flaw I had to connect the tuner directly to my projector then just the optical cable to the receiver. Means another 20' hdmi cable : ( And customer service assumes their customers are clueless when I probably know more that they do. And they won't refund my money. If you're just hooking up to a little old tv with stereo speakers this tuner will be fine.

Onkyo TX-NR1030 rec'r
Panasonic PT7000 proj.
Hsu 11.3 speakers
Emotiva UPA-200 amp
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 BD player
PHD-208 HDTV antenna tuner
post #35 of 61 Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice/help please?!

Ok, I could use some help/expertise here. I currently have a home theater with a projector, etc. I have Time Warner Cable, and use one of their HD STBs to watch tv on the projector (rarely). I'm currently trying to cut back on my TWC bill. Going to get rid of the box, and telephone, and just go with straight basic cable and internet. But, if I do that, then I have NO way to watch TV on the projector. I just bought a Vizio TV to use in my kitchen, it tunes in everything that I'd like to be able to watch. NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM. What STB has anyone had good luck with hooking up to cable, having HDMI output, and being able to tune in all those options? Thank you to EVERYONE for your help!
post #36 of 61 Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codysharp View Post
Ok, I could use some help/expertise here. I currently have a home theater with a projector, etc. I have Time Warner Cable, and use one of their HD STBs to watch tv on the projector (rarely). I'm currently trying to cut back on my TWC bill. Going to get rid of the box, and telephone, and just go with straight basic cable and internet. But, if I do that, then I have NO way to watch TV on the projector. I just bought a Vizio TV to use in my kitchen, it tunes in everything that I'd like to be able to watch. NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM. What STB has anyone had good luck with hooking up to cable, having HDMI output, and being able to tune in all those options? Thank you to EVERYONE for your help!
And I don't mind paying for this requested device, but I want something that does not require a subscription. Defeats the purpose of what Im trying to replace! DVR is not important, but not a deal breaker.
Thanks!
post #37 of 61 Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2951 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by codysharp View Post
And I don't mind paying for this requested device, but I want something that does not require a subscription. Defeats the purpose of what Im trying to replace! DVR is not important, but not a deal breaker.
Thanks!
It's doubtful TWC has any clear QAM left. If they do, a $35 iView STB3500 will work. If they don't, you must have a cable card device, of which you have two subscription-free options: Samsung cable card tuner (~$130) or PC based tuner ($80-$200 depending on number of tuners). Last time I checked, a cable card from TWC ran about $2. So dropping a box saves you about $8/month. That means you'd break even on the Samsung in about a year and a half. PC based option is cheaper and gives you tons more features plus DVR and free guide. I've been doing that for years with great success. Works with a regular remote, so to the end user it works just like a cable box.

Technically, Tivo with lifetime is also subscription-free and will run you about $300 for a decent used older model, $600+ for a new one. Really long payback time going that route, 3 years plus, but the easiest solution.

If you're willing to cut back to basic cable, would you be satisfied with just OTA instead, assuming you get good reception in your area?
post #38 of 61 Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
It's doubtful TWC has any clear QAM left. If they do, a $35 iView STB3500 will work. If they don't, you must have a cable card device, of which you have two subscription-free options: Samsung cable card tuner (~$130) or PC based tuner ($80-$200 depending on number of tuners). Last time I checked, a cable card from TWC ran about $2. So dropping a box saves you about $8/month. That means you'd break even on the Samsung in about a year and a half. PC based option is cheaper and gives you tons more features plus DVR and free guide. I've been doing that for years with great success. Works with a regular remote, so to the end user it works just like a cable box.

Technically, Tivo with lifetime is also subscription-free and will run you about $300 for a decent used older model, $600+ for a new one. Really long payback time going that route, 3 years plus, but the easiest solution.

If you're willing to cut back to basic cable, would you be satisfied with just OTA instead, assuming you get good reception in your area?
I am on Time Warner cable in Nebraska and we still have analog and clear QAM. I have no idea how long that will last but I have had no notification and Time Warner will not say. For what it is worth my local office is very good. I have used cable cards and changed boxes and have had no issues. Very prompt when I have had a concern.
post #39 of 61 Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 PM

Thanks again. I know it seems like a long payoff, but I'm on a bundle right now, with cable box, cable, phone and internet. I want to get rid of everything but the internet and basic cable. Just the local channels that I can tune in with a TV are all I need. The phone I think I am going to replace with something like Ooma, (one time purchase, VERY low monthly fee), and replace the 1 cable box I have from TWC with just a standard tuner, then replace their modem that I now have to pay RENT on (gee, thanks for that), with one of my own. I can lower my bill by quite a bit, plus get a faster internet package. Thanks all for your advice, I'll check it out!
post #40 of 61 Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, I do not get good reception in my area. I'm about 30 miles from the largest city, which has maybe 2-3 stations that broadcast, and 1 of which is a religious channel. The next closest is over 60 miles in multiple directions. I guess I've never tried a good antenna for HD reception. I do have an antenna in the attic that picks up radio for me. Might give that a shot and see what it picks up.
post #41 of 61 Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Supersonic SC58 - Digital TV Converter Box

I bought one of these yesterday from Micro Center. I have been searching here and other places, but I am not finding out much about this unit. It looks like it will record, but only to a USB drive, not to an HDD or else I would have psoted this in the DVR area. Anyway, I am just wondering if anybody here has any furher details on this box?
post #42 of 61 Old 12-28-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I bought one of these yesterday from Micro Center. I have been searching here and other places, but I am not finding out much about this unit. It looks like it will record, but only to a USB drive, not to an HDD or else I would have psoted this in the DVR area. Anyway, I am just wondering if anybody here has any furher details on this box?
It is probably another clone of the iView box. Read about the iView in the DVR thread. If you want a good basic tuner, then the PHD-208 from epVision is a nice unit, or their PHD-8VX. But if you want a decent, mid range DVR tuner, then look at Channel Master DVR+. Now there is a VRX2 DVR from epVision, but it reportedly has problematic issues as a DVR, so I would go with the Channel Master.
post #43 of 61 Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking for an ATSC tuner STB with HDMI output that won't upscale or process the image. I want to run it through my Lumagen processor and have it handle all upscaling/processing. I don't need NTSC/clear QAM or recording. Is there a box that isn't too expensive that does this?

Samsung UN50J6200, Chromapure, i1 Display 3 Pro, Harmony 700 Remote, Lumagen Radiance 2020, Oppo BDP-103, Roku Express
Marantz CD5004, Marantz SR7008, Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds, BIC America F12 Dual Subs
post #44 of 61 Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Pretty much ALL OF THEM.....if 720p is upscaled to 1080i, essentially HALF of the pixels would have to be thrown away....and that is NOT what they do unless you go in and DISABLE 720p output.

The MPEG2 data stream coming in (in whatever format came from the SOURCE) is EXACTLY what is output on the HDMI interface unless you specifically go into the menus to override this normal operation.
post #45 of 61 Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^ That isn't what I'm asking. I'm looking for a tuner with a native output like 720p channels will output at 720p, 1080i at 1080i, 480i at 480i, etc. Most of the tuners I've looked at only have a fixed output. The only ones I've found so far with native output are some of the Tivo tuners, do any of those work for just OTA without paying the subscription fee?

Samsung UN50J6200, Chromapure, i1 Display 3 Pro, Harmony 700 Remote, Lumagen Radiance 2020, Oppo BDP-103, Roku Express
Marantz CD5004, Marantz SR7008, Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds, BIC America F12 Dual Subs
post #46 of 61 Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Tivo is the only tuner I've used that had a native, all others scale the channel to whatever you've set the tuner in the setup. Now there may be other tuners, but not that I've used.
Not sure if it's still viable but people used to purchase a Tivo for just this purpose and never pay for the guide. The Tivo would only record a 1/2hr buffer, not even manual scheduling was allowed, they would also get a nag screen reminding them to activate the box whenever they changed the channel. I'm not sure how the current Tivo's work unactivated but considering the newer boxes are highly subsidized by the guide service it isn't unbelievable they may have shut down this loophole and made them more of a brick without paying for service....I don't know.
I guess you could also just purchase a used Tivo, something with a digital tuner(series 3 or newer) those should work just fine without a sub, at least for the tuner part.
chronoclast likes this.
post #47 of 61 Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Feel free to add suggestions and updates and I'll keep it updated as best I can.
Curious why the cheapos (HomeWorx, Viewtv, iView ,...) aren't on the list?
post #48 of 61 Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
^ That isn't what I'm asking. I'm looking for a tuner with a native output like 720p channels will output at 720p, 1080i at 1080i, 480i at 480i, etc. Most of the tuners I've looked at only have a fixed output. The only ones I've found so far with native output are some of the Tivo tuners, do any of those work for just OTA without paying the subscription fee?
I believe the ePVision units allow you to select the resolution, if I remember correctly. So you could consider the PHD-208 or the PHD- 8VX. I normally choose 1080i and it looks good on both 720p and 1080p displays. The TiVo units also provide this choice as mentioned.
post #49 of 61 Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2090 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller View Post
Curious why the cheapos (HomeWorx, Viewtv, iView ,...) aren't on the list?
Rather than ask, why not just make an entry formatted like those in the first post and I'll go edit it in? LEETLE busy, today. Could use the help. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #50 of 61 Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Rather than ask, why not just make an entry formatted like those in the first post and I'll go edit it in? LEETLE busy, today. Could use the help. Thanks.
I started to (I can see it's a LOT of work!), then I ran into this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...ble-dvr-s.html

Which isn't the same as the thread we're on, so now I'm just confused (Not hard to do.).

The thread above seems to cover all these, which all seem to be clones of one another? (gleaned from Amazon):
Mediasonic HW-150PVR
Viewtv At-163
iView 3500STBII
Generic Digital ATSC
Axess CB-3001
Ematic AT103B
post #51 of 61 Old 01-14-2015, 04:03 PM

The iView(and clones) are kind of a unique product. Off the shelf they are a HD tuner and belong in this thread, by adding a standard USB HDD they become a HD DVR and belong in the link you gave(the 2014 list of consumer available DVR's).
Personally I think they should be in both threads but others may differ.
Either way they are very inexpensive, and worth about what they cost.
post #52 of 61 Old 01-15-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Either way they are very inexpensive, and worth about what they cost.
Thanks. Do you own One? Which one?

Mrs. says some of them are very pretty. Some of them are very ugly. Guess which is most important.
post #53 of 61 Old 01-15-2015, 02:13 PM

I have a couple iViews and while I consider them worth the money, I wouldn't really want them to be my only DVR. They are a bit quirky and occasionally just forget to record for whatever reason. Again they do generally work and maybe if your not real upset if something doesn't record, they may be just fine for you. Me OTOH hate to miss an event which is why I use my Tivo HD almost exclusively(never really misses a recording) and I only use my iViews for overflow recording when my Tivos 2 tuners are busy recording something else and then I use the iView for the least important event.
Another major shortfall for me using the iView almost exclusively is it's inability to record one show while playing back another recorded show. With my Tivo many evenings I'm recording with both tuners while watching something that has already been recorded.

If interested more in the iView or even CM+ you should really post your questions in their appropriate thread as this thread we're in now is more a reference thread stating the various HD tuners
post #54 of 61 Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If interested more in the iView or even CM+ you should really post your questions in their appropriate thread as this thread we're in now is more a reference thread stating the various HD tuners
Agreed. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm interested in.

DVR function is secondary. I can't think of anything we've missed OTA that I can't stream via Kodi at will. And there are also the "Must Watch" programs like Face Off that we can stream after it's been broadcast.

The low price and the slow switching on my TV from HDMI->ANT is are only things that had me looking at these. If I subtract the convenience, it sort of becomes a wash for me.

I guess I was really only looking for a stand-out.

Thanks again.
post #55 of 61 Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2951 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller View Post
Agreed. Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm interested in.

DVR function is secondary. I can't think of anything we've missed OTA that I can't stream via Kodi at will. And there are also the "Must Watch" programs like Face Off that we can stream after it's been broadcast.

The low price and the slow switching on my TV from HDMI->ANT is are only things that had me looking at these. If I subtract the convenience, it sort of becomes a wash for me.

I guess I was really only looking for a stand-out.

Thanks again.
Since you're using Kodi, why not consider a PC or Linux based tuner? That will work much better (multiple tuners, network sharing, guide data, PC recording capability).
post #56 of 61 Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Since you're using Kodi, why not consider a PC or Linux based tuner? That will work much better (multiple tuners, network sharing, guide data, PC recording capability).
I'm running Kodi on a Fire TV. (Amazing little box, really.) Everything entertainment-wise sits in one corner of the den. Actually I was looking at tuner cards when I discovered these. They're cheap enough to more than offset the time/labor of dropping a coax to the PC, not to mention leaving it on just to watch TV.
post #57 of 61 Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi AVS friends!

ive got an older projector and no tv or cable. The pj has a converter from the 15 pin that lets me connect it to an hdmi which goes to the receiver. Im looking for a simple unit that will do air-tuning, dvr (built in OR usb), channel guide etc.
Can you recommend a unit for under $150 that will be fairly simple?

i found the following : Mediasonic HW-150PVR, tivo premiere, phd-208
any better options please?
post #58 of 61 Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi AVS friends!

ive got an older projector and no tv or cable. The pj has a converter from the 15 pin that lets me connect it to an hdmi which goes to the receiver. Im looking for a simple unit that will do air-tuning, dvr (built in OR usb), channel guide etc.
Can you recommend a unit for under $150 that will be fairly simple?

i found the following : Mediasonic HW-150PVR, tivo premiere, phd-208
any better options please?
post #59 of 61 Old 10-02-2017, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
iView flaky

My 3500STBII with HW version ATSC7816XD-01 was made before the hardware 3/4 switch was added. It has software version 20131213 aV13. It can't be counted on to respond to its remote control or record an entire program. Best results are using a hardware switch between its plug and wall outlet and cycle the power when desiring to actually control it.

It came with all Jackcon caps on the I/O board and various junk brand caps on the PS board. I replaced all the PS caps with Nichicons, but it didn't change the behavior.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #60 of 61 Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
My 3500STBII with HW version ATSC7816XD-01 was made before the hardware 3/4 switch was added. It has software version 20131213 aV13. It can't be counted on to respond to its remote control or record an entire program. Best results are using a hardware switch between its plug and wall outlet and cycle the power when desiring to actually control it.

It came with all Jackcon caps on the I/O board and various junk brand caps on the PS board. I replaced all the PS caps with Nichicons, but it didn't change the behavior.
I'm cross-posting your question here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...rs-thread.html

You'll probably get a better response on that thread, although it sounds to me like it's time to replace your iView with a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page