Cheyenne, WY: Best Antenna for Me? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Cheyenne, WY: Best Antenna for Me?

I saw someone else posted this question and I didn't want to hi-jack that thread but here's the TVFool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c155c3af688f3

What are the best options?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Depends on what your requirements might be. You'll have to tell us what those are.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 4342
Please put a location in the title of all antenna help threads. See the sticky.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Depends on what your requirements might be. You'll have to tell us what those are.
I want CBS, FOX and NBC mainly. Anything else is just a bonus. CBS being the most important and of course HD.

I would also like to keep it as cheap as possible but I don't really have any expectations or understanding of typical costs. Say, under $200?

Thanks for the quick reply.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 66
IIRC, KLWY carries FOX and ABC and KGWN has CBS and NBC and both transmit on UHF....so almost any UHF centric antenna will work for you.

Here's a basic antenna that should meet your needs:
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-EA...866V30XSQG7AAN
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post
IIRC, KLWY carries FOX and ABC and KGWN has CBS and NBC and both transmit on UHF....so almost any UHF centric antenna will work for you.

Here's a basic antenna that should meet your needs:
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-EA...866V30XSQG7AAN
Thanks Charles! Much appreciated gentlemen.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterss View Post
Thanks Charles! Much appreciated gentlemen.
Just realized that was an outdoor antenna, is it sturdy enough to withstand very high winds? Is there an indoor option that would be equivalent or is this one better than any indoor ones?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
So FOUR Networks are carried on the TWO Strong stations on Ch27 and Ch30, which have NM greater than 50 dB...which means an INDOOR Antenna will "probably" work just fine....and in the Attic would be even better.

Since you ONLY need UHF for the Major Networks (Hi-VHF would be needed for Ch8 & Ch11), pretty much any of the better NON-AMPLIFIED Indoor Antennas mentioned in the fol. thread should work, including Mohu Leaf, Winegard FlatTenna, WallTenna and other various "Flat" Panel Antennas. Old Fashion VHF-Rabbit-Ears+UHF-Loop has lower UHF Gain, but MIGHT work, and would be better choice for Ch8/11:
www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/1744218-i-m-still-using-rabbits-ear-antenna-my-hdtv-need-better-stronger-antenna-signal.html

Eagle-Aspen 2-Bay Bowtie with Screen Reflector is NOT Optimized for the NEW UHF Band (Ch14-52)...it appears to be the same size as the OLD DB-2, which seems designed for the REALLY OLD UHF Band (Ch14-80+) that was recently cut back to 800 MHz Max (our old Ch69) in Europe....so it's TWO Generations out of date. Nonetheless, it's about the least expensive Antenna (esp. OUTDOOR) you can get your hands on and although not IDEAL, it still has usable Gain in UHF Band, but is very poor for Hi-VHF with more Gain to the REAR. BTW: NONE of those FLAT Indoor Antennas is Optimized for New UHF Band either...and NONE are designed for Hi-VHF Band, so you get what you get. However with the Reflector, the Eagle-Aspen probably has 3 dB higher Gain than any of them....if you can find a place indoors for it....and MUCH BETTER if Outdoors ("typically" 13 dB +/- 7 dB higher signal levels Outdoors than Indoors...on the Average....YMMV).

OTOH, I recently uploaded Analysis and Dimensions for H2 (11x12) DIY Project, a 2-Bay Bowtie (NO Reflector) OPTIMIZED for Ch14-51 with significant Ch7-13 Gain but Excessive SWR in that Band, which runs circles around ANY of the above as well as DIY or Commercial 2-Bays and is VERY SIMPLE to build with either Wire or Metal Foil or Aluminized Tape on a Clear Plastic Sheet or Posterboard....and can be hung on the wall, HIDDEN behind a Poster or photo collage:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/uhf2bays
And here is Re-Optimized H2 (9.5x12) with 24"x24" Screen Reflector (36"x36") in process...will upload soonish:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/2bayrefl

I also uploaded Analysis and Dimensions for RLH2 (10.5x8.75) and RLH2 (12x10) DIY Projects, 2-Bay Bowties with a Rectangular Loop Hi-VHF Resonator (NO Reflector), which are OPTIMIZED for Ch14-51 as well as Ch7-13 Hi-VHF Band...with LOW SWR:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...rectloopnorefl
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...lh212x10norefl
Each has their own set of PROs and CONs....

The 80-degree Hi-VHF Beamwidth for these DIY Projects can facilitate reception of BOTH Ch8 and Ch11, which have 82-degrees Angular Separation. It is also possible to add a Reflector to improve UHF and Hi-VHF Gain and SWR. I'll be adding Fully Re-Optimized versions in the near future....or simply add a Screen Reflector at about 4.5 to 5.5 inches away from the Bowties. Optimum Reflector Size for Hi-VHF performance is 32x32-in or even better 36x36-in, where smaller sizes result in lower UHF Gain and eventually Hi-VHF Gain moves around to the REAR (see my studies for M4 with different sizes of FLAT Screen Reflectors).

Last edited by holl_ands; 02-12-2015 at 08:43 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
So FOUR Networks are carried on the TWO Strong stations on Ch27 and Ch30, which have NM greater than 50 dB...which means an INDOOR Antenna will "probably" work just fine....and in the Attic would be even better.

Since you ONLY need UHF for the Major Networks (Hi-VHF would be needed for Ch8 & Ch11), pretty much any of the better NON-AMPLIFIED Indoor Antennas mentioned in the fol. thread should work, including Mohu Leaf, Winegard FlatTenna, WallTenna and other various "Flat" Panel Antennas. Old Fashion VHF-Rabbit-Ears+UHF-Loop has lower UHF Gain, but MIGHT work, and would be better choice for Ch8/11:
www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/1744218-i-m-still-using-rabbits-ear-antenna-my-hdtv-need-better-stronger-antenna-signal.html

Eagle-Aspen 2-Bay Bowtie with Screen Reflector is NOT Optimized for the NEW UHF Band (Ch14-52)...it appears to be the same size as the OLD DB-2, which seems designed for the REALLY OLD UHF Band (Ch14-80+) that was recently cut back to 800 MHz Max (our old Ch69) in Europe....so it's TWO Generations out of date. Nonetheless, it's about the least expensive Antenna (esp. OUTDOOR) you can get your hands on and although not IDEAL, it still has usable Gain in UHF Band, but is very poor for Hi-VHF with more Gain to the REAR. BTW: NONE of those FLAT Indoor Antennas is Optimized for New UHF Band either...and NONE are designed for Hi-VHF Band, so you get what you get. However with the Reflector, the Eagle-Aspen probably has 3 dB higher Gain than any of them....if you can find a place indoors for it....and MUCH BETTER if Outdoors ("typically" 13 dB +/- 7 dB higher signal levels Outdoors than Indoors...on the Average....YMMV).

OTOH, I recently uploaded Analysis and Dimensions for H2 (11x12) DIY Project, a 2-Bay Bowtie (NO Reflector) OPTIMIZED for Ch14-51 with significant Ch7-13 Gain but Excessive SWR in that Band, which runs circles around ANY of the above as well as DIY or Commercial 2-Bays and is VERY SIMPLE to build with either Wire or Metal Foil or Aluminized Tape on a Clear Plastic Sheet or Posterboard....and can be hung on the wall, HIDDEN behind a Poster or photo collage:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/uhf2bays
And here is Re-Optimized H2 (9.5x12) with 24"x24" Screen Reflector (36"x36") in process...will upload soonish:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/multibay/2bayrefl

I also uploaded Analysis and Dimensions for RLH2 DIY Project, a 2-Bay Bowtie (12x10) with a Rectangular Loop Hi-VHF Resonator (NO Reflector), which is OPTIMIZED for Ch14-51 as well as Ch7-13 Hi-VHF Band...with ACCEPTABLE SWR: [See Option "c", which is compared to M2 versions "a" and "b")
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loop...oopnoreflector

The 80-degree Hi-VHF Beamwidth for either of these DIY Projects can facilitate reception of BOTH Ch8 and Ch11, which have 82-degrees Angular Separation. It is also possible to add a Reflector to improve UHF and Hi-VHF Gain and SWR. I'll be adding Fully Re-Optimized versions in the near future....or simply add a Screen Reflector at about 4.5 to 5.5 inches away from the Bowties. Optimum Reflector Size for Hi-VHF performance is 32x32-in or even better 36x36-in, where smaller sizes result in lower UHF Gain and eventually Hi-VHF Gain moves around to the REAR (see my studies for M4 with different sizes of FLAT Screen Reflectors).
Awesome information, thanks Holl_ands !! Very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page