Joliet, IL: Setting up a TV Antenna System. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Joliet, IL: Setting up a TV Antenna System.

Hi, I had a working house TV antenna until the super bowl happen and the 19 inches of snow that came with it in the chicago area. Apparently when my dad installed the Antenna a cheap pole was used which got crushed and made the antenna fly backwards breaking about half of the back elements. I am working on saving up for another TV antenna but I figured I would try to see what you guys thought first.

My questions are

What kind of outdoor antenna do I need for best reception?
What kind of Cabling should I get?
Do I need an Amplifier?
What kind of mast should I use?

I need an Antenna that is VHF/UHF to Receive WBBM-DT

Thank you so much for the help. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Here is my TVfool Report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f073f7751324

Last edited by topazcat; 03-15-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a DB-8 & Channel Master 7778 Pre-amp is all you really need. You can get it through antennasdirect.com or Solidsignal.com
post #3 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestion, I added it to my firefox bookmarks to look at later when I get the money. Also do you know what kind of pole would be sturdy to mount it on a roof.

I forgot to mention I need VHF because WBBM-DT is VHF Only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Consider Antennacraft HBU33 or Winegard 7696 for more reliable reception of High VHF at 35 miles, as well as UHF. May be better for WBBM. The CM7778 amp should be ok, or the Winegard LNA200.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-15-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
You don't even need to spend any money on a pre-amp, you don't need one unless there are factors you haven't disclosed. If you're absolutely convinced you need a pre-amp, the $25 RCA one will do the job.

If they're (AntennaCraft) still around when you get enough cash saved up, get an AntennaCraft HBU33. Inexpensive and it will handle what you need.

For a mast, a 10' stick of 1 1/4" EMT from your local home center will set you back about $10. You'll still need to decide how you want it mounted.

Standard RG6 coax from the home center is fine, no need to overpay.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-16-2015, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

The winegaurd antenna was out of stock but I put the AntennaCraft Antenna in my bookmarks also what do you think of this coaxial cable http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Co...XRXHK303P33628 The last time I had a working antenna I had a 100 feet of cable which was too much and I was told it wasn't made very well so I want to get good cabling this time.

Thanks everyone
post #7 of 16 Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Winegard no longer makes the HD7696P so it'll never be in stock. You have to choose between the 7694, 7697 and 7698. I'd go with the 7697. The HBU33 is okay too.

The coax you linked looks fine.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Make sure the mast(s) you get are 16 gauge not 18. Radioshacks are closing all around someone near you may be selling good 16 gauge Easy Up masts they got when buying whole stores inventory cheap.

Last edited by cwpl; 03-16-2015 at 01:29 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The DB-8 will pick up VHF-Hi Channels fine. Your only extra would be a rotor, if you are looking at fine tuning certain channels.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On VHF-12, the DB8 will be at around negative 15-20 dB gain off the front, better reception off the back. If you have sufficient signal margin to tolerate up to -20 dB gain, then it will work. If you do not have sufficient margin at the installation location, reception will fail.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan900 View Post
The DB-8 will pick up VHF-Hi Channels fine. Your only extra would be a rotor, if you are looking at fine tuning certain channels.
I never recommend any DB8 antennas (or DB4, or DB2) for VHF. I tried out my Winegard HD-1080 antenna on VHF, & while it worked ok for WLS-TV when they were on RF 7, it did not work at all on RF 12. The DB8 is still a good choice for UHF, but if the OP wants this antenna, then adding an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 or Y10-7-13 would be a better choice for VHF. Adding a VHF/UHF combiner would also be needed for both antennas. If the OP wants to see if any LPTV stations come in, then a pre-amp is also needed. That is the only reason I have a pre-amp on my Antennacraft CS600 VHF & Antennas Direct DB8 (new version is DB8e) antennas, combined into an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp (model# might be off). The only reason I got the CS600, was because at the time, WOCK-CD carried America One, & I wanted to see that network. Otherwise, I would have bought the Antennacraft Y5-7-13.

As for Antennacraft, they're a subsidiary of Radio Shack. It means that they operate as a separate company from Radio Shack, and will continue to be in business, after Radio Shack closes up for good.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I never recommend any DB8 antennas (or DB4, or DB2) for VHF. I tried out my Winegard HD-1080 antenna on VHF, & while it worked ok for WLS-TV when they were on RF 7, it did not work at all on RF 12. The DB8 is still a good choice for UHF, but if the OP wants this antenna, then adding an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 or Y10-7-13 would be a better choice for VHF. Adding a VHF/UHF combiner would also be needed for both antennas. If the OP wants to see if any LPTV stations come in, then a pre-amp is also needed. That is the only reason I have a pre-amp on my Antennacraft CS600 VHF & Antennas Direct DB8 (new version is DB8e) antennas, combined into an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp (model# might be off). The only reason I got the CS600, was because at the time, WOCK-CD carried America One, & I wanted to see that network. Otherwise, I would have bought the Antennacraft Y5-7-13.

As for Antennacraft, they're a subsidiary of Radio Shack. It means that they operate as a separate company from Radio Shack, and will continue to be in business, after Radio Shack closes up for good.
I agree with your suggestion. I have a roof mounted antenna setup. I use a satellite dish j-mount tube attached directly to the roof trusses, and I braced the j-mount pole with a couple braces, one in each direction. On top the j-mount, I have the Radio Shack rotor. Above the rotor, I have an XG91 UHF antenna, with the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 about 3 1/2 feet above the UHF antenna. The XG91 has got some serious gain, and it picks up the weakest UHF stations. The Y5-7-13 rivals the bigger high-VHF only antennas. The bottom picture is older, but it shows how it's attached to the roof. I used the RCA ANT751 for my high-VHF stations on the bottom picture. I combined the antennas with a UHF/VHF combiner into one coaxial cable.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-17-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 238
By the way, I do structural engineering for my day job, and I took a look at the 10165P AntennaCraft 16-gauge 5' pipe. I couldn't find any specifications on the type of steel that is used to make it, but I would assume 36 ksi steel. It could be a little lower, but I wouldn't think by much lower than that. This is a good low guess, but I'm not 100% certain. The outside pipe diameter is 1.25" and thickness is 0.054". It's also galvanized.

If you mounted an antenna at the very top of the pole, and the bottom was attached to a rotor (or other support), the maximum allowable load that could be applied at the top of the pole would be only about 34 lbs. horizontally (MAXIMUM) before the pipe yields in bending near the bottom. Now if you mounted an antenna at a lower elevation on the pole, that would greatly increase the allowable load that could be applied to the pole. At 3' above the rotor, the maximum horizontal load would be 58 lbs. that the pole could handle. At 1' above the rotor, the pole could handle a load of 174 lbs. But that is the absolute limit, which you don't want to come near.

Keep in mind, the antenna rotors have their limits too. The Radio Shack rotors have the maximum antenna heights listed in the user manual.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-18-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

That's not correct. AC is indeed part of the RS chapter 11 filing as they're a part of TE Electronics which is part of the BK case.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/AntennaCraft-021115 (You can read intro to story, the rest is for subscribers).
http://www.4-traders.com/RADIOSHACK-...lose-19850571/ (Appears to be the full article, reposted)
http://www.kbur.com/2015/02/10/dmco-...ll-be-counted/ (Local radio station article, last paragraph)

I haven't heard or seen anything since the mentioned deadline of last Friday, so their current status isn't known. Give them a call.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-18-2015, 06:58 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
That's not correct. AC is indeed part of the RS chapter 11 filing as they're a part of TE Electronics which is part of the BK case.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/AntennaCraft-021115 (You can read intro to story, the rest is for subscribers).
http://www.4-traders.com/RADIOSHACK-...lose-19850571/ (Appears to be the full article, reposted)
http://www.kbur.com/2015/02/10/dmco-...ll-be-counted/ (Local radio station article, last paragraph)

I haven't heard or seen anything since the mentioned deadline of last Friday, so their current status isn't known. Give them a call.
The article referenced states, "Feb. 11--Des Moines supervisors was given notice TE Electronics, owner of AntennaCraft, at 1719 W. Mount Pleasant St. in Burlington, must sell by March 13 to a "strategic buyer" or "it is likely that the company will be forced to permanently close the facility in its entirety." It makes one wonder if there is a "strategic buyer" who may be looking at a fire sale purchase of AntennaCraft.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Purchased Antenna

Hi, everyone I finally got enough money to save up for the TV Antenna, I went with the winegard one from amazon and bought the coax cable there too. I just have to get the mast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
antenna , mast , television , tvfool , type

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page