post #2821 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post
Do you verify that KVCW is on the air with ATSC 3.0? Or at least their ATSC 1.0 signal has disappeared.
At 10 am, ATSC 1.0 sub-channels departed and we just have to assume that their 3.0 counterparts moved into their new digs on RF 29 virtual 33. I have been able to verify that the departed subs are now being hosted elsewhere by the channel add menu of my LG tv. Checking the 3.0 situation will have to await a receiver or digital box later this year.

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
At 10 am, ATSC 1.0 sub-channels departed and we just have to assume that their 3.0 counterparts moved into their new digs on RF 29 virtual 33. I have been able to verify that the departed subs are now being hosted elsewhere by the channel add menu of my LG tv. Checking the 3.0 situation will have to await a receiver or digital box later this year.
Thanx. I just updated my post with a spectrum plot I got from a friend that lives in Las Vegas.
rdvegas and Falcon_77 like this.

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #2823 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 917
I sure hope that the TSR software incorporates ATSC 3.0 in the very near future.

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2824 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Here it is.
It still amazes me how sharp the filtering is on 3.0. It makes a 1.0 signal look so wastefully round.

I hope to see it appear in LA and/or Seattle by the time I expect the 3.0 HDHR to come to me (July).
post #2825 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Atsc 3.0 has zero visibility to consumers, I mean zero.
Ask your family, friends, heck frennimies !
I certainly agree with the premise of your statement.

I saw a demo from I think "Antenna Man" on youtube ~6 months ago who had borrowed an ATSC 3 laptop dongle and showed how much better ATSC 3 performs with a weak signal, deals with multipath issues and works when moving around in a car. Compared to ATSC 1, just these improvements makes it a great technology - especially for those who currently live in fringe reception areas. 4K and HDR may be slow to come over ATSC 3 broadcasts, but the improved transmission can potentially help people who need to utilize OTA for financial or other reasons.

Now we just have to hope that we're not blocked from generating DVR recordings and other uses with ATSC 3 that we're currently able to do with ATSC 1. If the major broadcasters and affiliates begin to do that, OTA is dead in my opinion.

Anyway, to your point, if ATSC 3 it does improve reception, I bet that people who live in "fringe" areas will begin to tell their neighbors that ATSC 3 stations can finally be received- and from that, the word of mouth will begin.
Rgb, aaronwt, Tschmidt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by pnkflyd51; 05-26-2020 at 11:48 AM.
post #2826 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post
Now we just have to hope that we're not blocked from generating DVR recordings and other uses with ATSC 3 that we're currently able to do with ATSC 1. If the major broadcasters and affiliates begin to do that, OTA is dead in my opinion.

I doubt most stations would want to prevent DVR recordings for the majority of their shows because DVR recordings represent a significant part of the ratings, and ratings are what drives advertising rates. If they block DVR recordings, they run the risk of dropping their income.
aaronwt and Ted99 like this.

Bed-roomVizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p), Xfinity XG1v4-A (HD DVR), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
PC roomLG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Xfinity Internet, Roku Ultra with Netflix & Xfinity Beta Streaming channels.
post #2827 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post
It still amazes me how sharp the filtering is on 3.0. It makes a 1.0 signal look so wastefully round.
Actually, it's an intrinsic property of OFDM. You're just seeing the edge of the first and last active carrier. Here's an SDR generated DVB-T2 signal with no filtering at all. The spike on the right is the DC offset of the SDR transmit mixer shifted out of the signal passband.

However, over time there is some splatter out of the channel. So you still need a channel mask filter for TV applications. Here's the same signal with max hold enabled on the spectrum analyzer.

Falcon_77 likes this.

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net

Last edited by dr1394; 05-26-2020 at 11:58 AM.
post #2828 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I saw a demo from I think "Antenna Man" on youtube ~6 months ago who had borrowed an ATSC 3 laptop dongle and showed how much better ATSC 3 performs with a weak signal, deals with multipath issues and works when moving around in a car. Compared to ATSC 1, just these improvements makes it a great technology - especially for those who currently live in fringe reception areas. 4K and HDR may be slow to come over ATSC 3 broadcasts, but the improved transmission can potentially help people who need to utilize OTA for financial or other reasons.
I can't wait to test it myself, but yes, if it's as good as they say then it will be well worth it; especially in markets like Seattle where reception is so difficult in many areas that are far from rural.

But w/o marketing it's going to be a hard sell by word-of-mouth alone, though 1.0 seems to have done pretty well (mostly) by it, after a number of years.
post #2829 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
I doubt most stations would want to prevent DVR recordings for the majority of their shows because DVR recordings represent a significant part of the ratings, and ratings are what drives advertising rates. If they block DVR recordings, they run the risk of dropping their income.
It likely won't be up to the affiliates but to the networks. As broadcast TV now gets a boatload of fees from both internet tv packages (YouTube TV, Hulu Live etc.) and old style cable tv packages, it's hard to know how they're going to treat free-to-receive OTA. I hold my breath- they may decide to kneecap it.

My hope is that with a greater reach of ATSC 3 + better streaming packages, "the big cable bundle" dies. The only thing keeping it alive are sports- regional sports networks and nationwide pay sports such as what's on ESPN. Once those are offered outside of bundles, the bundle is dead except to old people who won't bother to change. It will be interesting to see how big sports salaries (to owners and players!) can continue to be paid if say only 20% of the former population who paid for RSNs continue to do so at some point in the future.

Anyway, I digress- but I think ATSC 3 can help play a little part in killing the bundle should the signal indeed work better in fringe areas- and even better if SFN takes off:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-frequency_network

Last edited by pnkflyd51; 05-26-2020 at 12:14 PM.
post #2830 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, it's an intrinsic property of OFDM. You're just seeing the edge of the first and last active carrier. Here's an SDR generated DVB-T2 signal with no filtering at all. The spike on the right is the DC offset of the SDR transmit mixer shifted out of the signal passband.
Thank you and this makes me want to get serious about ATV (Amateur Television) if we are using DVB-T2 on it! It's one of the many facets of amateur radio I haven't dabbled in yet (analog ATV didn't interest me at all).

I have seen this on some EU SDR's as well and LTE. Makes sense for ATSC DTV to get up to speed!
post #2831 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
It likely won't be up to the affiliates but to the networks. As broadcast TV now gets a boatload of fees from both internet tv packages (YouTube TV, Hulu Live etc.) and old style cable tv packages, it's hard to know how they're going to treat free-to-receive OTA. I hold my breath- they may decide to kneecap it.
I agree. I've never understood how the incentives align with 3.0. To me, the interest of the broadcaster is to get retrans fees, and transmit the minimum OTA signal to keep them legally and contractually viable as a network station.

Quote:
My hope is that with a greater reach of ATSC 3 + better streaming packages, "the big cable bundle" dies. The only thing keeping it alive are sports- regional sports networks and nationwide pay sports such as what's on ESPN. Once those are offered outside of bundles, the bundle is dead except to old people who won't bother to change. It will be interesting to see how big sports salaries (to owners and players!) can continue to be paid if say only 20% of the former population who paid for RSNs continue to do so at some point in the future.
I think sports are going to be in for a very, very rude awakening after COVID. There will be some segment of the market that is thirsty to go back to their favorite team/sport, but many will not, and this will further fuel cord cutting.
pnkflyd51 and pachinko like this.
post #2832 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
"The NBC channel is taking the NBC mezzanine level standard 1080i feed, and with professional equipment is being converted to 1080p with sampling conversion to HDR via SL-HDR1. So the NBC programming will actually come across with TV sets that support HDR and SL-HDR1. Those devices will display HDR."
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/ai...h-in-las-vegas

There you have it. The Sinclair owned NBC station (KSNV) in Las Vegas is running SL-HDR1 for HDR content at launch. I'd say that is a pretty clear indication of what Sinclair may do in other markets.

Me: Will the Zapperbox be compatible with the Technicolor HDR format SL-HDR1 contained within the ATSC 3.0 Standard A/341? Will it be able to output said HDR signal in a PQ/HLG format for TVs that do not contain SL-HDR1 decoding internally?
Zapperbox: Thanks for your email. The M1 will support HDR10 and HLG. We don't believe that it will support Technicolor SL-HDR1 but we need to research this a bit more and will get back to you.
Zapperbox: We did some more research. SL-HDR1 content will only be supported as SDR at this time. The hardware can be upgraded to add full SL-HDR1 support. We're trying to confirm whether this can be a field upgrade or if it can only be supported in new boxes in the future.
Me: Sinclair station KSNV in Las Vegas is deploying SL-HDR1 for HDR content for ATSC 3.0 starting today. That means devices without SL-HDR1 support will just get SDR (such as the Zapperbox M1). I hope you are able to include support for it in the next model.
Zapperbox: The M2 model should definitely have it. Unless this can be a software update for the M1. We got blindsided on this one because we were following the Pearl TV launch spec which does not include SL-HDR1. This is one of the areas where Sinclair decided to do something different, MMT being the other more public one.
We're already in touch with Sinclair, getting sample streams and running them through our boards to see how it behaves. The heavy lift of licensing Sl-HDR1, porting and testing still remains.

So that is a no from Zapperbox on SL-HDR1 support on the M1. Since the Silicon Dust Quatro doesn't have direct playback to televisions, you might only get HDR from a TV or set top box which supports Technicolor SL-HDR1 (which are very few from what I understand)

Last edited by BigJeff; 05-26-2020 at 03:26 PM.
post #2833 of 2995 Old 05-26-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 4424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
I agree. I've never understood how the incentives align with 3.0. To me, the interest of the broadcaster is to get retrans fees, and transmit the minimum OTA signal to keep them legally and contractually viable as a network station.

I think sports are going to be in for a very, very rude awakening after COVID. There will be some segment of the market that is thirsty to go back to their favorite team/sport, but many will not, and this will further fuel cord cutting.
I don't know, high speed internet costs (Be honest the price wars are never coming) are going to make people reconsider cord cutting. It will go the route of dvrs, most people who want to cut the cord have done it. Some people who never had cable only get internet access through their phones.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #2834 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I don't know, high speed internet costs (Be honest the price wars are never coming) are going to make people reconsider cord cutting. It will go the route of dvrs, most people who want to cut the cord have done it. Some people who never had cable only get internet access through their phones.
I'm lucky to live in a town that has two good internet providers (comcast xfinity and verizon fios.) I switch back and forth every year to get my monthly internet only price down to $35-$40 (after one year, both go up to $55-$60.)

Hopefully home fixed wireless 5G will provide that for the majority who don't currently have competition for internet. It can't get here soon enough...
PA_MainyYak likes this.
post #2835 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Does anyone in the US have multiple ISPs both offering separate drops of actual fibre-to-the-home? (Rather than one offering internet over coax cable - using DOCSIS, the other using IP fibre, or DOCSIS over fibre?)

I doubt that many ISPs will invest in providing a second fibre option if a residential location already has saturated fibre connectivity from a dominant ISP already?

The way that some European countries have countered this, to allow for competition amongst ISPs, is that the fibre drops between homes and termination is owned by the local council (i.e. the governing body of a town, city or county) - who pay for the local fibre connectivity, and then lease this at a fixed (not for major profit) tariff to all the ISPs who want to offer IP connectivity in a given region. That allows you to chose whose service (including IPTV) you go with - and whether you want 100/100, 1Gb/1Gb or 10Gb/10Gb (yep - 10Gbs is an option in some places now...)
post #2836 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
@KyL416 posted this info in the Portland, OR HDTV forum:

Quote:
The Portland stations filed their ATSC 3.0 simulcast plans with the FCC last week

KPDX and KRCW will be converting to ATSC 3.0 on July 28th.
KPDX's RF 30 signal will carry ATSC 3.0 simulcasts of KPDX, KPTV and KGW
KRCW's RF 33 signal will carry ATSC 3.0 simulcasts of KRCW, KATU and KOIN

These will be KPDX's ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
49.1 MyNet will be on KPTV's RF 12 signal
49.2 CourtTV Mystery will be on KGW's RF 8 signal
49.3 Bounce will be on KPTV's RF 12 signal
49.4 Grit will be on KGW's RF 8 signal

These will be KRCW's ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
32.1 CW will be on KATU's RF 24 signal
32.2 Antenna will be on KOIN's RF 25 signal
32.3 CourtTV will be on KOIN's RF 25 signal
32.4 TBD will be on KOIN's RF 25 signal

KOXO-CD (RF 15), KORS-CD (RF 16) and KKEI-CD (RF 36) will also be converting to ATSC 3.0 at some point, with KORK-CD (RF 35) hosting their ATSC 1.0 simulcasts
Based on this, I'm less worried about the HDHR ATSC 3.0 box only having two tuners. The "big" networks are all on two simulcasts. Looking forward to delivery!

Are there any ATSC3.0 HEVC samples available for download? I'd like to see if my HTPC can play them without issues.
post #2837 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Does anyone in the US have multiple ISPs both offering separate drops of actual fibre-to-the-home? (Rather than one offering internet over coax cable - using DOCSIS, the other using IP fibre, or DOCSIS over fibre?)

I doubt that many ISPs will invest in providing a second fibre option if a residential location already has saturated fibre connectivity from a dominant ISP already?
Fiber-to-the-Home is an impossible dream for many (most?) of us in the US. Does anyone have options like that? Maybe in a few cherry-picked apartments in a few cherry-picked cities. Here, it's cable (150/10Mbps) or ADSL (maybe 5/1Mbps). And I have no hope 5G will break the cable monopolies any time soon with all the tin-hatters & NIMBY's around here.

Prices are high and it keeps getting worse as cable companies shift their revenue sources from selling TV packages to Internet packages. No cords are really being cut.

A 2nd fiber option is a pipe-dream since I can't get a first fiber option. Fiber to the node is probably as good as it will get.
nathill and Tschmidt like this.
post #2838 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So here's the thing. That logic about 1TB data caps only applies to a very narrow segment of the user base for whom TV would push them over the 1TB limit. Considering that most of people's watching today is various forms of streaming anyway, that's a narrow niche. And not everyone who cuts the cord necessarily replaces 100% of their cable viewing with streaming viewing. They might view disc-based content, OTA, or do something else entirely. The base price of broadband is irrelevant, since you usually get 1TB bundled in with the broadband, regardless of whether you use it or not.

Consumers who don't have internet at home are generally not the customers who are paying the big bucks for pay TV. I just don't find the broadband cap/cost/whatever argument to hold any logical water except for a narrow set of circumstances, like someone who has the news on all day while they work and would blow up a 1TB limit that they otherwise don't get close to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Yes, but not many. There are some AT&T Fiber/ Google Fiber overbuilds over some decent areas, some greenfield builds with Cox, Comcast, or Altice fiber, and then some one-off flukes like in my town, a local ISP is lighting up a good chunk of the town, and they have a little bit of overlap (read: a few streets) with Frontier's haphazard mostly-unfinished fiber mess. The only decent sized area with two fiber providers would be parts of Metro NY where FiOS is present and Altice decided to overbuild with fiber. There are a few areas with 2 cable providers and a fiber provider, not a large portion of the US by any means, but a number of towns around Metro Boston have that.

Quote:
It depends on local laws for muni fiber providers, or MSOs choosing to move to FTTH.

Quote:
(yep - 10Gbs is an option in some places now...)
We have a couple of areas with 10gbps, ironically from Frontier, which is generally a completely dysfunctional and totally inept company that often can't do the most basic of tasks that would normally be part of the job of running a telecom company.
post #2839 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post
Fiber-to-the-Home is an impossible dream for many (most?) of us in the US. Does anyone have options like that?
My 15+ year old subdivision was wired for FTTP or FTTH about 2 years ago. I have the base plan, about 350 Mbps up and down. In my house there is a fiber converter to "cat 5E" cable going to the same DSL box I had with copper DSL. Service has been flawless, unlike my previous Charter Spectrum which is more prevalent. Neighbors are gradually switching.

ATT is the provider.
post #2840 of 2995 Old 05-27-2020, 02:07 PM

We are waay off topic here in the ATSC 3 thread, but my two cents on multiple FTTH providers- I switch back and forth every year between Comcast Xfinity and Verizon Fios to keep my monthly price between $35-$40. Both providers jump up in price by $20/month after the 1st year. So I happily play their game- takes me about an hour of phone calls to switch.

Anyway, download bandwidth from both are more than sufficient- we have multiple TVs & iPads going with vMVPD and streaming services + youtube. Comcast gives me my monthly usage although I have no data cap- usually I'm between 1.3 and 1.5 TB/month. My Comcast download bandwidth is "just" 100Mb/s and upload bandwidth is 25 Mb/s. For Fios, download and upload are both 200 Mb/s.

I've never had any issues with either service supporting my family of four when we're all watching different internet video (presumably 1080) simultaneously. I will admit that we do very little 4K video right now- I'm not even willing to pay the extra $ for the 4K Netflix tier even though I have two 4K TVs.

The only issue I've had is with upload speed when we're on Comcast when we're travelling and my kids are trying to watch separate movies from my home Plex server on their iPads (this works fine within my home and when I'm on Fios, so it's not my Plex server.) For the years I'm on Fios, the faster upload speed supports > 1 Plex connections just fine. This is a very minor quibble and it's worth it to me to save $250 per year.

So to be short, I don't have any real problems with coax/docsis based internet and I don't feel fiber to the home is absolutely necessary. Perhaps my opinion will change if we start watching more 4K, but there's just not that much 4K content out there right now.
BiggAW and nathill like this.

Last edited by pnkflyd51; 05-28-2020 at 06:15 AM.
post #2841 of 2995 Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So to be short, I don't have any real problems with coax/docsis based internet and I don't feel fiber to the home is absolutely necessary. Perhaps my opinion will change if we start watching more 4K, but there's just not that much 4K content out there right now.
DOCSIS has no issue with 4k, since it's download, the issue is in the upload. Most non-gig DOCSIS plans are 10mbps uploads, and gig plans are typically maxxed out at 30mbps. If the cable providers would invest in mid-split in order to get to 100mbps uploads, I think they'd be competitive for 99% of customers with fiber. However, I have come to the conclusion that cable should also rip and replace their entire networks with FTTH, as HFC is just too unreliable and high maintenance, and they keep throwing more good money at bad versus moving to a modern FTTH architecture, possibly with some HFC using rPHY mixed in for indoor and UG plant only to serve MDUs and newer UG neighborhoods.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2842 of 2995 Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
DOCSIS has no issue with 4k, since it's download, the issue is in the upload. Most non-gig DOCSIS plans are 10mbps uploads, and gig plans are typically maxxed out at 30mbps. If the cable providers would invest in mid-split in order to get to 100mbps uploads, I think they'd be competitive for 99% of customers with fiber. However, I have come to the conclusion that cable should also rip and replace their entire networks with FTTH, as HFC is just too unreliable and high maintenance, and they keep throwing more good money at bad versus moving to a modern FTTH architecture, possibly with some HFC using rPHY mixed in for indoor and UG plant only to serve MDUs and newer UG neighborhoods.
They have huge cashflow with an effective monopoly in many markets.

Few cities have tried to roll out their own but for the most part, they don't face any competition so they have no incentive to make big capital spend on what would be a new buildout.

Only chance is fixed 5G, unless Washington gets a clue and puts policies in which would encourage new telecom infrastructure.

But the industry pays off both parties.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2843 of 2995 Old 05-30-2020, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
They have huge cashflow with an effective monopoly in many markets.

Few cities have tried to roll out their own but for the most part, they don't face any competition so they have no incentive to make big capital spend on what would be a new buildout.

Only chance is fixed 5G, unless Washington gets a clue and puts policies in which would encourage new telecom infrastructure.

But the industry pays off both parties.
It's not a cashflow issue, it's a long term vs. short term thinking issue. If they were thinking long term, they'd replace with FTTH/FTTB. They are thinking short term, so they continue to milk the coax for all it's worth. I think coax has a lot of future from a bandwidth perspective, but I haven't seen the willingness or ability of cable companies to invest in the preventative maintenance to be able to push 9's on reliability with coax-based systems, and doing so requires a lot of expensive maintenance. The same short-term thinking in a far more extreme fashion is why AT&T and Verizon have been dragging their feet on 100% FTTH/FTTB for 17+ years now. If they had made a decision that they would lay as much fiber as they possibly could starting in 2003 until every building in their territory had fiber, they would be making MASSIVE amounts of money on it today, but they didn't, because they have only ever thought one quarter at a time. That should be a crime for a telco, telcos should be planning for 30 years, not 3 months.

You're correct on political corruption.
aaronwt and nathill like this.
post #2844 of 2995 Old 06-01-2020, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
It's not a cashflow issue, it's a long term vs. short term thinking issue. If they were thinking long term, they'd replace with FTTH/FTTB. They are thinking short term, so they continue to milk the coax for all it's worth. I think coax has a lot of future from a bandwidth perspective, but I haven't seen the willingness or ability of cable companies to invest in the preventative maintenance to be able to push 9's on reliability with coax-based systems, and doing so requires a lot of expensive maintenance. The same short-term thinking in a far more extreme fashion is why AT&T and Verizon have been dragging their feet on 100% FTTH/FTTB for 17+ years now. If they had made a decision that they would lay as much fiber as they possibly could starting in 2003 until every building in their territory had fiber, they would be making MASSIVE amounts of money on it today, but they didn't, because they have only ever thought one quarter at a time. That should be a crime for a telco, telcos should be planning for 30 years, not 3 months.

You're correct on political corruption.

Little Mom and Pop phone company near Bloomington IN many years ago started putting in fiber, now have numerous fiber to the home setups. AT&T still DSL. Guess who people can't wait to sign up with?
aaronwt, BiggAW, pnkflyd51 and 1 others like this.
post #2845 of 2995 Old 06-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
Little Mom and Pop phone company near Bloomington IN many years ago started putting in fiber, now have numerous fiber to the home setups. AT&T still DSL. Guess who people can't wait to sign up with?
Smithville Telephone? I grew up in Bloomington. Moved to MA after I graduated from college in the mid 90s.
post #2846 of 2995 Old 06-01-2020, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Smithville Telephone? I grew up in Bloomington. Moved to MA after I graduated from college in the mid 90s.

You got it! Now just "Smithville"
https://www.smithville.com/

I'll tell you one thing, Bloomington (and Smithville.com) have both changed a LOT since the mid 90s. They offered a TV service for a while, but finally gave it up.
Now if Indianapolis will get around to actually transmitting 3.0, I'll have good Comcast internet and (hopefully) more free TV. Can't get Smithville yet. Sure wish I could.
pnkflyd51 likes this.
post #2847 of 2995 Old 06-01-2020, 06:54 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Anyone have specific dates for ATSC3 going live around SE MI?
lionsnob likes this.
post #2848 of 2995 Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Or specific dates for the Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois area) ? I'm guessing it would be late this year, if not next year.. also of course the Chicago area? Thank you very much,
post #2849 of 2995 Old 06-02-2020, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Isn't it a bit odd that we haven't seen a single informal tweet/post/review from a consumer or media outlet about real word experience watching the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts on a commercial TV set / receiver box in the couple markets its already live? Presumably someone in those markets would have a 2020 model capable of tuning in; though I understand some of the 2020 models will require firmware upgrades for ATSC 3.0 reception (kind of belies the word of all the ATSC evangelists who swore up and down that an internet connection would not be required to tune ATSC 3.0).
nathill likes this.

Last edited by BigJeff; 06-02-2020 at 07:59 AM.
post #2850 of 2995 Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post
Isn't it a bit odd that we haven't seen a single informal tweet/post/review from a consumer or media outlet about real word experience watching the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts on a commercial TV set / receiver box in the couple markets its already live? Presumably someone in those markets would have a 2020 model capable of tuning in...
What about reviews on here? Let me check some of the local HDTV threads to see if there are any reviews/thoughts from early adopters on AVS. I hope to be one next month, but then I will need to find an active signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page