HDMI connection blinks in and out periodically... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-06-2015, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI connection blinks in and out periodically...

I'm having problems that I thought were related to my xbox1 where the screen goes black for a second, I lose sound etc. and within a second it shows the hdmi connection in white text on the top of the screen and the picture/audio loads back up. It's similar to as if I quickly switched to a different HDMI source.

I thought it was a problem on the xbox 1 and that it was dropping the connection so I tried not having it go through my receiver on a separate hdmi cable, no joy. Now my wife pointed that the google chrome does it too so I have 2 hdmi devices, over 2 different hdmi cables to 2 different hdmi ports showing the same problem.

The one is xbox over BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 ft) to tv, the second is google chrome in a yamaha receiver over a BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (25 ft) to tv.

Any idea's? The only one that I can think of is that the hdmi is too long, thoughts? I had thought I had swapped everything and found the problem but I was wrong and now I'm out of ideas on how to identify the problem. Hoping someone else has had and solved a similar problem

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3087 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
A passive high speed hdmi cable can be certified for up to 25'. Don't worry about the cable with ethernet because there aren't any consumer devices that take advantage of that. It won't affect the cable in any way but I wouldn't use that spec as a purchase decision factor. If you purchase a passive high speed hdmi cable, and it's under 25' in length, and the cable has been certified for the length you purchased, you're good to go. Monoprice, Media Bridge or Blue Jeans make great cables and you don't have to pay a premium price

Are you using ARC/CEC on any of your devices? It could be as simple as a CEC incompatibility. If you are, I'd disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and see if the problem goes away.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Just to mention...
If you're running 25' from a device to a switch/receiver and then another 25' from the switch/receiver to the TV, that potentially could be a problem if the switch/receiver is not a repeater/equalizer for a 50' run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Are you using ARC/CEC on any of your devices? It could be as simple as a CEC incompatibility. If you are, I'd disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and see if the problem goes away.
What is this and how would I find out more? I've never heard of it. The TV is a Sony Bravia if that helps
post #5 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
What is this and how would I find out more? I've never heard of it. The TV is a Sony Bravia if that helps
CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) on the Sony is called BRAVIA Sync. RTFM to see if your tv has it and how to disable it. You'll have to read the manuals for your other HDMI connected devices to see how to disable/enable it. If your tv and receiver is ARC (Audio Return Channel) capable it has CEC because they are both associated because they are HDMI mediated.

Ratman brings up a good point. What is the total length of your cable run?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) on the Sony is called BRAVIA Sync. RTFM to see if your tv has it and how to disable it. You'll have to read the manuals for your other HDMI connected devices to see how to disable/enable it. If your tv and receiver is ARC (Audio Return Channel) capable it has CEC because they are both associated because they are HDMI mediated.

Ratman brings up a good point. What is the total length of your cable run?
Disabled it on the TV (it's not even called Bravia sync on the menu's, it's called "control for HDMI") and while it's supported on the yamaha receiver there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it on or off.

Both are direct to TV now, 25ft runs. so total is 25 ft for each, source to TV.

Time to see if disabling the Consumer Electronic Control did it, if there are any other ideas please let me know and thank you for the help.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-08-2015, 08:04 PM

Just disable HDMI control on the tv then. The HDMI input/output on the receiver that is labeled ARC will just function as a uni-directional HDMI input/output. The receiver should be the hub on your HTS. In other words, your devices should be connected directly to the receiver and then a single HDMI cable to your tv for video because audio will be handled by your receiver. The Google Chrome should be connected to an HDMI input on the tv, at least I think that's how you are supposed to connect them. However, without CEC, which allows you to use a single remote for all HDMI connected devices, you will have to use separate remotes to select the correct input for your devices unless you use a programmable remote such as a Harmony which doesn't rely on HDMI at all.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
Disabled it on the TV (it's not even called Bravia sync on the menu's, it's called "control for HDMI") and while it's supported on the yamaha receiver there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it on or off.
On my Yamaha receiver you disable it at Setup>HDMI>Configuration>HDMI Control>Off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page