1Likes
  • 1 Post By TeeJay1952

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2016, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Wireless HDMI options

Hello all, I'm looking to see if anyone would have some suggestions for my situation.

My living room on the main floor has our Comcast modem and cable box (currently standard def cable box but looking to upgrade to the X1). Directly below the living room in the basement is my theater room. My AV receiver sits in the corner of the room. There is HDMI cabling run in the walls between the AV receiver and the Projector and HDMI cabling between the AV receiver and a PC in my office. I should also add that the basement ceiling is drywalled so running more wire is not a desired option.

I would like to get HDTV to my AV receiver for watching live sports. What would be my best option for getting the HDMI signal to my AV reciever with as little signal loss as possible? Can I somehow use my computer to pull the signal from the wifi network and send to the AV reciver via the HDMI cable? Do I just use a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver to send the signal from the main floor to the AV receiver?

I'd appreciate any kind of input. I have zero knowledge/experience with sending HD signals wirelessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 4034
Please search for existing threads before starting a new one.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...-wireless.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...hd-signal.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...-basement.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-hom...mi-device.html

I'd have to see your basement to know if there are any other wire-fishing options. Return-air plenums have always been a godsend to me. Were it me, I'd have another coax fished to the basement and a second cable box there.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknope View Post
Hello all, I'm looking to see if anyone would have some suggestions for my situation.

My living room on the main floor has our Comcast modem and cable box (currently standard def cable box but looking to upgrade to the X1). Directly below the living room in the basement is my theater room. My AV receiver sits in the corner of the room. There is HDMI cabling run in the walls between the AV receiver and the Projector and HDMI cabling between the AV receiver and a PC in my office. I should also add that the basement ceiling is drywalled so running more wire is not a desired option.

I would like to get HDTV to my AV receiver for watching live sports. What would be my best option for getting the HDMI signal to my AV reciever with as little signal loss as possible? Can I somehow use my computer to pull the signal from the wifi network and send to the AV reciver via the HDMI cable? Do I just use a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver to send the signal from the main floor to the AV receiver?

I'd appreciate any kind of input. I have zero knowledge/experience with sending HD signals wirelessly.

I never see the suggestion of using Slingbox for this use. Would be less expensive than the extender and I can attest to the fact that it work much better as I have used both. The extenders have picture freezing issues and the Slingbox works perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaub1 View Post
I never see the suggestion of using Slingbox for this use. Would be less expensive than the extender and I can attest to the fact that it work much better as I have used both. The extenders have picture freezing issues and the Slingbox works perfectly.
I am not familiar with the Sling box. Am I able to get all sports events on it?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 4034
Google Slingbox (all one word). It basically streams outbound the output of your cable box.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 163
My son has Slingbox connected to 2nd cable box at home and watches what he want at work. (assembly line)
What a country!
kitti likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 489
A Slingbox attaches to output of Cable Box (or whatever) and SENDS the Hi-Def A/V Signal through an Internet (Internal and/or External) Connection to a remote COMPUTER for display.....not cheap and not what you need.

IF you followed Dr Don's links above, you would find out you have TWO OPTIONS:

1) Pair of WIRELESS HDMI EXTENDERS, such as the following example: https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHD...Bextender+-cat
Note that conformance with HDMI v1.3 (or later) provides compatibility with all HDMI HIGH SPEED Cables and hence "should" also work with v1.4 thru v2.0 HDMI Interfaces.

2) Pair of POWERLINE HDMI EXTENDERS, such as the following example: https://www.amazon.com/HDbitT-Extend...=1&*entries*=0
[Connects via RF Signal running on top of House 120 VAC Wiring]

Since the Wireless Wi-Fi signal would only have to go thru the Living Room's Floor, there shouldn't be ANY connectivity problems.....however, the (more expensive) Powerline solution in some cases MIGHT have connectivity problems since each location probably has a separate 120 VAC circuit running all the way back to the Circuit Breaker Box....and all of the EMI/RFI Filters in various Electrical/Electronic/Surge Protectors on each Circuit can attenuate the Powerline RF signal.

So I advise to use a Pair of WIRELESS HDMI EXTENDERS....and unless you can get a COMCAST Cable Box with R/C via RF Link, you'll also want a WIRELESS IR EXTENDER so you can remotely control the Cable Box in the Living Room:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-109.../dp/B0087S9CJ2

And since COMCAST Cable Box only had ONE HDMI Output Port, you'll want an inexpensive 2-PORT HDMI SPLITTER, with has TWO HDMI Output Ports [lots to chose from]:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+hdmi+splitter

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-10-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Since your projector is connected to your PC another option is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner. It would allow you to use your PC as a cable box and DVR.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #9 of 10 Old 08-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up Splitting FIOS between 2 TV's

This may help you some.
I have a 50" 4k in my family room and a 32" 720 directly on the other side of the wall on my patio. Was looking to use my FIOS box on both TV's and installed a Sewell 1x2 powered splitter using a 10' HMDI from the splitter to the 32". Works like charm. I then wanted to use the extra FIOS remote for the 32" and bought a remote extender from Verizon. Turns out when you plug in the remote extender it disables the FIOS box local remote control sensor. What I did was install a 3.5mm Y splitter coming out of the FIOS box and added a second remote extender so now both remotes work. I also have cable (no box) connected to the 4K and 32" TV's and a new Roku stick at the 32" so I now have multiple viewing options. FYI - I also found that I can use the 4K's streaming, direct cable TV connection and DVD player if the FIOS box is being used for the 32".
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasko View Post
This may help you some.
I have a 50" 4k in my family room and a 32" 720 directly on the other side of the wall on my patio. Was looking to use my FIOS box on both TV's and installed a Sewell 1x2 powered splitter using a 10' HMDI from the splitter to the 32". Works like charm. I then wanted to use the extra FIOS remote for the 32" and bought a remote extender from Verizon. Turns out when you plug in the remote extender it disables the FIOS box local remote control sensor. What I did was install a 3.5mm Y splitter coming out of the FIOS box and added a second remote extender so now both remotes work. I also have cable (no box) connected to the 4K and 32" TV's and a new Roku stick at the 32" so I now have multiple viewing options. FYI - I also found that I can use the 4K's streaming, direct cable TV connection and DVD player if the FIOS box is being used for the 32".
Sewell claims they tested the 1x2 powered splitter for up to 100' using a good HDMI cable. They have a video of it on their web site. I also noticed that they sell the same splitter as a amplified version for the same price. Monoprice recommends using a 22 or 24 gauge HDMI cable when using an HDMI splitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page