• 1 Post By thool
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cleaning a CM 4228

Hello, I have a ChannelMaster 4228 (the old style, not the "HD" model) that is about 7 years old. Love the antenna! It is mounted on a piece of electrical conduit that I made into a mast, and from the ground, I see a fair amount of rust on the whiskers. I'd like to take it down and clean it, and also service the connectors. A couple stations I normally get from 70 miles have slowly gotten worse, so I suspect corrosion creeping in.

What are some good practices to clean it up? I was thinking of sanding the whiskers and then putting some sort of light coating on them, such as a dielectric grease. Also, the balun to coax interface is not sealed, just screwed in...is there a good tape or sealant for this? Finally, the balun leads to the antenna side is just connected by 2 screws, dielectric grease here?

The location is upstate NY, and we get a decent amount of rain and snow, so I'd like to find a solution that will hold up to the elements. I'd like to get as much in order so that it is down for only a day or so. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2424
IMO... don't worry about the antenna "oxidation".
Concentrate on cleaning the contacts, replacing the balun and properly weatherproofing all connections. Weatherboots and perhaps a dab of silicone can help keeping the weather out on the connectors.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Or just get the new model. It cost you less than $20 a year. Take a nice nap and when the new one comes take the old one down and replace it with the new one. If the antenna had left you out in your weather for 7 years the antenna would replace you.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Or just get the new model. It cost you less than $20 a year. Take a nice nap and when the new one comes take the old one down and replace it with the new one. If the antenna had left you out in your weather for 7 years the antenna would replace you.
Although I thought the old 4228 was actually better than the new Chinese made model? While your correct that a new one isn't that expensive, if it only takes one an hour(very max) to clean the connections, I'd gladly do that for $60+/hr, besides I hate just tossing things that can be easily repaired.....maybe it's just me
Of course if you don't like doing such DIY projects, I agree for <$20/year you can't beat using an outdoor antenna!
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Keep in mind the electromotive series. Two dissimilar metals in contact should be close together in the series to reduce the chance of corrosion. The zinc coating on the steel whiskers and the vertical aluminum vertical phasing line wires of the original 4221 (AKA 3021) and 4228 are close in the series.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ries+corrosion

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 09-30-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I have an old 4228 that is in my tower and has never been outside. The 4228 is mostly a sort of hardware mesh grid of thin metal. It has been a good antenna but I would imagine seven years outside on a pole in New York would constitute its lifespan.

Today I am using an old 4221 inside connected directly to my 2008 Panasonic Plasma and to my HDHR3. Reception is great. I am getting much better reception than I used to get. I have a lot of multi-path signal issue that require trial and error to overcome.

I can remove the 4221 antenna and with just the coax cable get all but the public television stations.

One of the public television stations needs a directional antenna for my coming whole house RG6 coax antenna network. But the 4228 may be of no use for the five drop system. I am still experimenting
noshank likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I don't want to get rid of my 4228, it is a very good antenna.

So my takeaway is to clean the contacts. Rather than boots, I found a coaxial tape, self-bonding silicone tape, that looks like a good solution for the connections. Does the balun really need replacing? I've read some posts about using plasti-dip to cover the terminals.
noshank likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thool View Post
Does the balun really need replacing? .
Is it really that expensive?
While you're up there, just replace it with a new one.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Is it really that expensive?
While you're up there, just replace it with a new one.
Nah, do they wear out or become less effective over time? If not, then why replace?
post #10 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 AM

Anything is possible. Do as you like.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2020, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 343
RF wise, probably the #1 potential problem area other than the actual connection to the antenna leads themselves. An analogy would be; replacing tire valve stems when you get new tires (non-pressure sensing).

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 AM

Whatever he did or didn't do, it's still good advice, even 4 1/2 years later.
DrDon likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page