4k Viewing Distance? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question 4k Viewing Distance?

I followed this guideline as closely as I could for setting my couch up in relation to my 4k 55" tcl. The room is unusually wide for an apartment, over 12 feet. My ocd and curiosity got to me and I decided to move closer from the original position, about 11 1/2 feet, my msp is now 7'. My first concern is that, for the foreseeable future, most content displayed will be 1080. I have a 4k console and 4k streaming available, but at 7 feet even the 4k seems grainy. I'd appreciate any input or personal experience. Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size (1).png
Views:	137
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2324878  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
^^
Everyone is a bit different. That chart is a guideline, not an absolute. I sit in the 8-9' region from my 65" 4K and both 1080p (real 1080p like a bluray, and streamed conetent, not Comcast's pathetic attempt to declare something 1080p) and 4K content look awesome. Sure, there are those that will argue I need to sit closer to take advantage of the detail in 4K, to which I reply, poppycock. And the closer you get, the grainier everything is going to be. Place your seating where you think it looks best to you, not what some chart is telling you to do.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Those charts are just guides. The ultimate determination is what looks best to you, not what a chart says. Go to a store and watch one of the demo tv's in 4k. Pace off the distance and note how it looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
^^
Everyone is a bit different. That chart is a guideline, not an absolute. I sit in the 8-9' region from my 65" 4K and both 1080p (real 1080p like a bluray, and streamed conetent, not Comcast's pathetic attempt to declare something 1080p) and 4K content look awesome. Sure, there are those that will argue I need to sit closer to take advantage of the detail in 4K, to which I reply, poppycock. And the closer you get, the grainier everything is going to be. Place your seating where you think it looks best to you, not what some chart is telling you to do.
Thanks for the reply. I feel like detail comes at the expense of clarity.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hall View Post
Thanks for the reply. I feel like detail comes at the expense of clarity.
It may to some degree - hence, gotta sit where it simply looks best to you - everything is a compromise of sorts.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Here's a few things I've noticed:

I use my 65" UHD and 3D daily driver panel as a computer monitor 'Desktop' mode (3') and 'Video' mode (10') although I vice versa each - sitting distance and mode. I'd adjust to 8' or 9' if I could. I think 7' is ideal for you. Most say to sit back further when using 3D or UHD and SDR alike. I think they say this because detail flaws are revealed when closer. I think the real answer is to eliminate the flaws and immerse yourself in the higher resolution as it was intended if possible.

What are these flaws? It could be the quality of the display itself. It could be the adjustments in everything involved. It could be your source. It could be your player. You are seeing grain now that you've moved closer. You are going to need to find what is causing it.

The only info you've given is that your source is from a 4k streaming console. Always start 'calibrating' (including adjustments to your other hardware and software) with a perfect source or else you are trying to tailor your system around a possible flaw. A streaming source is not the tip of the sword although it may be your main source. When you see grain, it may have nothing to do with your hardware and everything to do with your source. It may even be how the source was produced. War of the Worlds, one of the grainiest titles I know of looks grainy because that's how it was produced and intended so take this into account. If everything in general looks grainy, use or borrow an actual physical disc and player connected directly to your panel to continue diagnosing. Alternatively, acquire a good source such as the many UHD and HDR test files available and place it on a USB stick and use your TV USB port and internal player with playback compatibility for the type of file you choose. Most panel internal players accept .mkv or .mp4 file extensions.

Now that you have a perfect source, if it looks better you know your streaming source and/or player is at fault which is often the case. You will be instructed to sit back further so you don't notice the flaws and live with it because it's good enough. If that isn't acceptable and you still see grain, etc., you need to adjust your panel, mainly the sharpness control. (You may want to simply start here to begin with).

I notice with HDR titles when sharpness is too high, some hair strands take on a silver sheen and eyes glow. Turning down sharpness adjusts this to a more natural look without actually reducing the sharpness since UHD is so sharp to begin with. My setting is 15 - 21 out of 100. SDR and Blu-ray has its own flaws when sharpness is too high. Facial close ups seem to have large pores. These aren't actual. This is over enhancement of the sharpness and extra info is being added that doesn't actually exist. Do not be fooled into thinking that your picture is so sharp you see extraordinary detail. Artifacts such as grain are also introduced. Try turning down sharpness without destroying the quality of the higher UHD resolution. There are also many patterns to adjust sharpness and your panel probably has one built in if you figure out how to access it.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page