Need OTA tuner with HDMI output - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By Scars
  • 1 Post By Mark12547
  • 1 Post By JHBrandt
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Need OTA tuner with HDMI output

I have a digital flat screen on the wall. The only cord to it is an HDMI from my Denon AV receiver-AVR4310CI. I recently cancelled cable and installed an HDTV Antenna. The coaxial cable runs to the area where my receiver is. I cannot easily extend it to where the TV is mounted.

How do I get the signal from the receiver to my TV over the HDMI? I am under the impression I need some kind of tuner box that takes the coaxial input and outputs to HDMI and that will be my "tuner" instead of the TV??

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I have no personal experience, but there are quite a few digital tuners out there with HDMI out on it. Here is one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-263...tv+tuner&psc=1

I do not own one, so I can't speak to its quality, but it does what you need. There are quite a few other options so I would shop around, I figured this would at least get you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov10mech View Post
I have a digital flat screen on the wall. The only cord to it is an HDMI from my Denon AV receiver-AVR4310CI. I recently cancelled cable and installed an HDTV Antenna. The coaxial cable runs to the area where my receiver is. I cannot easily extend it to where the TV is mounted.

How do I get the signal from the receiver to my TV over the HDMI? I am under the impression I need some kind of tuner box that takes the coaxial input and outputs to HDMI and that will be my "tuner" instead of the TV??

Thanks for your help.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #3 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I did see some of those. I was confused because they said convert digital to analog and my TV is digital, but then it says 1080P output which indicates HD. So any converter box should work as long as it has HDMI out? I see a few of them out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
You want a OTA HD-Tuner (aka Receiver or Converter) with HDMI....which is plugged into AVR...which then feeds HDTV/UDTV. OTA is either 480i (SD, Low Rez), 720p (ABC and some other Sports Channels) or (mostly) 1080i....NOT 1080p. In order to NOT degrade OTA PQ, ensure that Receiver is set to pass-thru the original signal [let the HDTV/UDTV do the deinterleaving/upconversion, which is Integrated into it's Adaptive Motion Extrapolation Algorithm].....and DO NOT force Tuner to upconvert everything to 1080p.

Inexpensive, but effective choice is fol. latest version from Mediasonic, which includes Audio/Video/Photo File Player and USB I/F for External USB HDD of your choice to turn it into a DVR [roughly 5 MB per Hour, so 500 GB HDD is about 100-hour total]....but biggest shortcoming is the mediocre Channel Guide Grid, since it relies on OTA PSIP for Info:
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Ho...c55topdeals-20

OTOH the TiVo OTA ONLY DVR is the Best of Breed, populating Channel Guide Grid via Internet [which requires monthly or lifetime Subscription], includes I-N Streaming from several suppliers [individual Subscriptions....NOT "4K" and maybe Duplicate to SMART TV] and has FOUR Tuners for simultaneous Recording:
https://www.tivo.com/shop/ota-detail

Additional alternatives in fol. Comparison Article:
https://www.makehardware.com/ota-dvr-for-cordcutters
BiggAW likes this.

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
... and USB I/F for External USB HDD of your choice to turn it into a DVR [roughly 5 MB per Hour, so 500 MB HDD is about 100-hour total]....but biggest shortcoming is the mediocre Channel Guide Grid, since it relies on OTA PSIP for Info...
Possible typo there? I suspect you meant GB not MB? (the number of hours still works out the same)
I grabbed a similar one and a 2T portable HDD as an emergency backup after a computer failure. Since I do manual recording and use TitanTV to find programming, the lack of a guide doesn't bother me.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #6 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Yup....I fixed the hypo....err....typo.....

BTW: There may or may NOT be a 1.5 TB limit to how much of a BIG HDD the OTA Tuner can actually USE....depending on which OS is used in the Tuner [e.g Linux, Microsoft, whatever]....if you care, check other user's experience to verify.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-09-2018 at 06:04 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 87
2TB was the limit for the tuner I have. (Homeworx clone) Vista has a 2TB limit per volume and my Win2k computers will read a 2TB volume also. Larger drives could be partitioned into smaller volumes. The size is important since you might want to connect the HDD to your PC for storing, editing, converting, or burning to disk.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #8 of 30 Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 4448
Thread title edited to make more specific.

You might want to browse our HDTV Recorders area for the latest on standalone OTA/HDMI solutions.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ov10mech View Post
I did see some of those. I was confused because they said convert digital to analog and my TV is digital, but then it says 1080P output which indicates HD. So any converter box should work as long as it has HDMI out? I see a few of them out there.
Yes, they will work. They have both HDMI for digital TVs like yours and composite video for older analog-only TVs. The HDMI output can be set to 1080p60, but that's an upconversion from whatever the station is broadcasting (480i, 720p, or 1080i). The only way you'd get true 1080p is via the media player function.

Attached HDDs are limited to 2 TiB (they only support MBR and 512-byte sectors) but they can become quite slow with even 1 TB HDDs. For media playback and/or DVRing, I usually try to use 500GB or smaller HDDs with these.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 252
You can go to Walmart and get a cheap HD digital converter box with HDMI output. They have Ematic brand and RCA, and perhaps others. Or several as mentioned on Amazon such as Mediasonic, ViewTv, and others.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Total Noob - Please help!

I cut the cord, returned my cable box, and I installed an attic antenna with appropriate RG6 coaxial. The problem is that I don't want to attach the antenna coaxial directly to my tv. I want to somehow purchase something that would take the place of my cable box. I want to connect the antenna coaxial through my Onkyo tx-nr686 AV receiver.

This has been very frustrating!

My TV is around 50 feet of cable length from my receiver and it would be very difficult to run any new cables. I had a uni-directional HDMI cable run from my receiver to my TV fail this summer. To future proof I did run four cat 6a cables though. My TV is a little older and does not have Audio Return Channel and it would be very very difficult to run an optical cable from my TV to my receiver.

I purchased an inexpensive digital TV tuner to replace what I THOUGHT my cable box did in my setup.

Mediasonic ATSC Digital Converter Box with Recording / Media Player / TV Tuner Function (HW130STB)

Digital tuners take the antenna coaxial and have an HDMI output to the receiver. The digital TV tuner didn't work for me as my TV didn't get any antenna signal.

I could hook up the antenna coaxial directly to my tv, but I'm concerned as to how I can get the audio back to the receiver via my ethernet cable. I believe that HDMI are bi-directional, but I don't have an HDMI connection. I run my HDMI over ethernet now with converter boxes. I don't know if those are bi-directional. Would they return the audio back to my receiver? My setup is a little complicated now as I even have an HDMI splitter to another TV so my brain is just mush at this point!

Is there a box or device I can purchase that would "take the place" of my cable box? Something that I could connect the antenna coaxial to and then run an HDMI cable straight to my receiver? I would love some help! Thank you very much for any assistance!

Last edited by DrDon; 10-22-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added details from cross-post
post #12 of 30 Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermutt View Post
I cut the cord, returned my cable box, and I installed an attic antenna with appropriate RG6 coaxial. The problem is that I don't want to attach the antenna coaxial directly to my tv. I want to somehow purchase something that would take the place of my cable box. I want to connect the antenna coaxial through my Onkyo tx-nr686 AV receiver.

Digital tuners take the antenna coaxial and have an HDMI output to the receiver. The digital TV tuner didn't work for me as my TV didn't get any antenna signal. Am I doing something wrong?!
Hello, rogermutt

Maybe you are doing something wrong or maybe you have an equipment problem.

You will need to make a few tests to find out where the bottle neck is.

What happens if you connect the antenna to the antenna input connector of the TV?

What happens if you connect the antenna to the input of the HW130STB and connect the output of the HW130STB to the HDMI input of the TV?

If you can't get that to work, there is no point in going any further to the AVR.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 10-21-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Seems like the use-case for HDHomeRun and TiVo. Have you looked at them?
BiggAW likes this.

My Room 7.3:
LG OLED65B7A; Sony UBP-X700; Sony Playstation 4 Pro; Apple TV 4K; SONOS Connect
Denon AVR-X3400H; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), RP-240D (RL/RR); PSA V1510 (x3 SW)
post #14 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 401
For anyone who wants to help rogermutt, he has a previous post with a little more detail:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58713194

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #15 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
For anyone who wants to help rogermutt, he has a previous post with a little more detail:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58713194
Edited in the details, above, and deleted the post in Receivers.

post #16 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The digital TV tuner didn't work for me as my TV didn't get any antenna signal.
I take it you were able to view the Mediasonic's setup menus on your television using the TV's HDMI port, correct? If so, the connection from the Mediasonic to your television works fine, but the antenna's not picking up anything. If that's the case, see this sticky thread at the top of the forum.

If you were not able to see the setup screens or anything else from the Mediasonic on your television, then that's likely another issue. If you have a second display you could connect directly (via HDMI) to the Mediasonic (bypassing your receiver), try that.

post #17 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Dr. Don, Rabbit73, and Scars - thank you for responding! This has been very frustrating!

I will investigate further. FWIW, Mediasonic asked me to set up the converter box DIRECTLY to the TV first. (I never got to see the setup menu before as I couldn't get anything to work through the receiver.) Once set up, Mediasonic then asked me to then hook up the converter box to the receiver. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but I can try.

I will investigate all the set up options that Rabbit73 is suggesting using another mobile TV.

Dr Don might have answered my question as to which receiver HDMI input to use. He is suggesting TV HDMI. (There's cable/satellite as well. TV makes more sense...)

Btw, the Mediasonic converter box offers Full HD 1080P/Dolby Audio and an HDMI out. You would think that my new receiver could process that.

I did briefly look into the HomeRun and Tivo, but they were far more expensive and had far more features than I wanted or needed.

You would think this issue is quite common with so many cutting the cord, but trying to use their AVR for sound. Not all TVs have ARC and my set up doesn't have a 2 way HDMI cable that could potentially replace the optical cable that I don't have as well!

It's amazingly difficult to get any competent technical support, so I'm very grateful for your assistance.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dr Don might have answered my question as to which receiver HDMI input to use. He is suggesting TV HDMI. (There's cable/satellite as well. TV makes more sense...)
Hold the phone, Rog. The labeling of the input you're using doesn't matter. HDMI is HDMI. What I wanted to make sure of was that you didn't flip the TV to "TV" or "ANT." Connect the box to an HDMI input on the TV, select that input, and look for the setup menus. Scan for channels using the Mediasonic's controls. Once the scan is done, try to tune to some of those channels using the Mediasonic... without changing any connections.

Antenna -> Mediasonic -> HDMI input on television.

If you get THAT working, we can troubleshoot why things don't work through your AVR.

If you don't get anything after running the scan, we can troubleshoot your signal issues.

post #19 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Hold the phone, Rog. The labeling of the input you're using doesn't matter. HDMI is HDMI. What I wanted to make sure of was that you didn't flip the TV to "TV" or "ANT." Connect the box to an HDMI input on the TV, select that input, and look for the setup menus. Scan for channels using the Mediasonic's controls. Once the scan is done, try to tune to some of those channels using the Mediasonic... without changing any connections.

Antenna -> Mediasonic -> HDMI input on television.

If you get THAT working, we can troubleshoot why things don't work through your AVR.

If you don't get anything after running the scan, we can troubleshoot your signal issues.
Thanks for your prompt reply. What do you mean by "try to tune some of the channels using the Mediasonic"? Change the channel?
post #20 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply. What do you mean by "try to tune some of the channels using the Mediasonic"? Change the channel?

Yes, since some channels (like many NBC affiliates) may be broadcasting 1080i and some channels (like many ABC affiliates) may be broadcasting 720p, and some subchannels may even be 480i (in my area, Comet, GetTV, Laff appear to be 480i).

You would want to make sure the Mediasonic works fine with the TV before putting the AVR between the Mediasonic and the TV.
DrDon likes this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #21 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the Mediasonic box is now your tuner. You scan for channels with it and tune them with the Mediasonic controls. Your TV's "channel" buttons are useless as you're not using its tuner.

post #22 of 30 Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:

This has been very frustrating!

My TV is around 50 feet of cable length from my receiver and it would be very difficult to run any new cables. I had a uni-directional HDMI cable run from my receiver to my TV fail this summer. To future proof I did run four cat 6a cables though. My TV is a little older and does not have Audio Return Channel and it would be very very difficult to run an optical cable from my TV to my receiver.

I purchased an inexpensive digital TV tuner to replace what I THOUGHT my cable box did in my setup.

Mediasonic ATSC Digital Converter Box with Recording / Media Player / TV Tuner Function (HW130STB)

Digital tuners take the antenna coaxial and have an HDMI output to the receiver. The digital TV tuner didn't work for me as my TV didn't get any antenna signal.

I could hook up the antenna coaxial directly to my tv, but I'm concerned as to how I can get the audio back to the receiver via my ethernet cable. I believe that HDMI are bi-directional, but I don't have an HDMI connection. I run my HDMI over ethernet now with converter boxes. I don't know if those are bi-directional. Would they return the audio back to my receiver? My setup is a little complicated now as I even have an HDMI splitter to another TV so my brain is just mush at this point!

Is there a box or device I can purchase that would "take the place" of my cable box? Something that I could connect the antenna coaxial to and then run an HDMI cable straight to my receiver? I would love some help! Thank you very much for any assistance!
OK, so AIUI, you have a TV and an AVR about 50 feet apart. You have an HW130STB near the AVR, and HDMI-to-Ethernet converters at the TV and at the HW130STB/AVR end.

OK, let's start with something simple: is the HDMI connection working? Temporarily connect the HW130STB to the HDMI-to-Ethernet converter and turn on the HW130STB. You should see something on the TV: if nothing else, a gray box with the words "No Signal." You should also be able to point the remote control at the HW130STB and bring up its menu.

If you don't even get that, try pressing the HDMI button on the remote. That switches the HW130STB's HDMI output to five different resolutions, all the way from 480i (SD) to 1080p (FHD). Perhaps it's set to a resolution that's not compatible with your TV set.

If that doesn't work, temporarily move the HW130STB to your TV set. - it's small, and for this you don't even need to connect an antenna - and try an HDMI cable. If that works, there's something wrong with the HDMI-to-Ethernet converters or with the Ethernet cable.

If you do get the signal from the HW130STB to your TV, then you can troubleshoot the antenna connection. You should be able to hook up the antenna, set the HW130STB to "Air," and do an Auto Scan from the menu. You should get at least one channel. If you don't get any, try connecting the antenna directly to the TV without moving it. (You'll need 50' of coaxial cable to do this test, of course.) You may not have any signal where your antenna is located.

If your TV's tuner gets channels but the HW130STB gets none, the HW130STB is probably bad. It happens occasionally.

(BTW, if you need to replace it, consider the slightly more expensive HW150PVR or an iView 3500STBII instead of another HW130STB. These two have a coaxial digital audio output that will make it easier to connect your AVR.)

If you get any channels but not all the channels, then we're in familiar "optimizing your antenna" territory on this forum.

Lastly, try adding the AVR into the mix. You should be able to go from the HW130STB to the AVR with an HDMI cable and from there to the TV with the Ethernet cable and converters.

At this point you may discover that the HW130STB's digital audio output is problematic. If you get weird "echo-y" audio, it's a bug in the HW130STB firmware. You can usually stop it by changing channels and changing back. But if you find it intolerable, once again you may have to replace it with an HW150PVR or iView 3500STBII and use the coaxial digital audio vs. HDMI.
rabbit73 likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-23-2019, 07:16 AM

Thank you all for your fantastic suggestions and support. I am very grateful for the help!

It worked! Mediasonic suggested that I attach the digital converter box directly to the TV first. I did this with another TV as my plasma is too far away from my antenna coaxial. The converter box scanned and maybe programmed the antenna signals/channels? I then connected the box to my AVR and it now works great. I really wanted to share this information with all other cord cutters out there as I found this solution to be very difficult to discover.

For the record, for those who want to replace their cable box in their HT setup (I wanted the antenna to go directly to AVR without ARC/a bi-directional HDMI/ or an optical cable) you can buy a 1080p digital converter box with an HDMI output and directly attach that to your AVR.

The only trick I found is that you have to attach it directly to a TV to 'program the box or something' THEN connect it to your AVR. This solution was very inexpensive and didn't require me to run new cords or have me take my TVs off the wall mounts, etc. and I get the surround sound!

I sincerely want to thank those who provided suggestions. This forum is the BEST!
post #24 of 30 Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it all works!!

post #25 of 30 Old 11-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Liked: 0
Tv tunner problem

I want to know how can i watch air broadcast tv in my vizio 50x-e1 .. it doesnt have coaxial
post #26 of 30 Old 11-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Not as easy as it used to be

To save money, many TV makers no longer include the TV Tuner circuitry in their TVs, figuring it's only used by a fraction of their customers.

You'll have to use a dedicated TV tuner (or, a more versatile over-the-air DVR) and feed its HDMI output to one of the HDMI inputs of your TV.

There are many such devices on the market - you can see the threads about them in the HDTV / HDTV Recorders section.

It won't be cheap, however - it's probably cheaper to buy a used TV that has a tuner!

EDIT: I stand corrected - the "Digital Convertor TV Box" on eBay mentioned 2 posts below, is under $30!

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Samsung UN60J6200 LED, Yamaha HTR-5860 & RX-V595 AV Receivers, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" & Polk 10" SubWoofs, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's, Polk RTi8's

Last edited by LensClock; 11-08-2019 at 10:44 PM.
post #27 of 30 Old 11-05-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcs0088 View Post
I want to know how can i watch air broadcast tv in my vizio 50x-e1 .. it doesnt have coaxial
That's because the Vizio is sold as a display device, not a television. Televisions have ATSC tuners. Displays don't. As mentioned, you'll need an external ATSC STB to capture OTA signals and then send to your Vizio via HDMI.
BiggAW likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #28 of 30 Old 11-05-2019, 02:35 PM
g4s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcs0088 View Post
I've got one of these hooked up to my Optoma P1 projector. It works great and was so cheap I bought two. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-Digit...53.m2749.l2649
post #29 of 30 Old 11-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Merged

Last edited by DrDon; 11-08-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #30 of 30 Old 11-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
if any of you want a tuner box with no frills, I have on you can have for free (pay shipping). I was going to toss it. It works fine. It is either an RCA or a channel master. It has hdmi output.

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page