"Pop" sound sometimes when changing channels? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question "Pop" sound sometimes when changing channels?

Hey guys,

I have Xfinity in Massachusetts and wondering if others experience a small popping or clicking sound sometimes when changing channels?

My setup:

Onkyo txnr 656
KEF Q100s
Polk Tl150s
Polk PSW10

Everything works great just making sure that won't cause any problems, I have a second Sony receiver and it also does the same pop sometimes.

Last edited by djdel002; 01-11-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I had that happen on an older tv set. I fixed it by lowering the BASS setting slightly. Popping then went away. Perhaps that will also work for you?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I had that happen on an older tv set. I fixed it by lowering the BASS setting slightly. Popping then went away. Perhaps that will also work for you?
Thanks Primestar,
I don't run bass too high really but I'll try that for sure.

My neighbor also has a theater setup and theirs also does it so I think it's just something we'll have
to deal with.

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a 1 year old DirecTV receiver connected via HDMI directly to a 1080P input on my Sony 65x930E. It's been very stable. Yesterday, the TV started making a clicking sound for about 1 second when I change channels on the direcTV receiver. I have multiple source devices and everything else is and has been rock solid. I haven't made any changes and everything was working fine till this. Ugg, I hate to start tearing thing apart. Will let you know if I find the bug.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ28462 View Post
I have a 1 year old DirecTV receiver connected via HDMI directly to a 1080P input on my Sony 65x930E. It's been very stable. Yesterday, the TV started making a clicking sound for about 1 second when I change channels on the direcTV receiver. I have multiple source devices and everything else is and has been rock solid. I haven't made any changes and everything was working fine till this. Ugg, I hate to start tearing thing apart. Will let you know if I find the bug.
OK I figured it out. It was relatively painless.
My DTV Receiver is model H25/100.
It has a setting for outputting Dolby Digital: On/Off
If I turn it off, then the clicking sound goes away.

Looks like the receiver did a software update on or after 1/22. My best guess is that the update is somehow related. Don't know for sure.
Wife said the clicking started a few days ago but I just noticed it yesterday.
I'll leave the Dolby Digital output off for now. I rarely watch movies on DTV.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Dolby Digital Still Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ28462 View Post
OK I figured it out. It was relatively painless.
My DTV Receiver is model H25/100.
It has a setting for outputting Dolby Digital: On/Off
If I turn it off, then the clicking sound goes away.

Looks like the receiver did a software update on or after 1/22. My best guess is that the update is somehow related. Don't know for sure.
Wife said the clicking started a few days ago but I just noticed it yesterday.
I'll leave the Dolby Digital output off for now. I rarely watch movies on DTV.
This is still a problem it seems. More and more channels are in 5.1, but if you turn on the Dolby Digital you get some awful pops sometimes. It is especially bad when rewinding for FF or the DVR. It seems awful to turn the Dolby signal into stereo because DirecTV can process the sound w/o pops.

====
JS9500, MRX1120, Oppo 103D, XboneS, DirecTV, Harmony Hubs
post #7 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2695
Not a new problem, pops have been happening with Dolby Digital devices for years. Tivo had thread about in 2007 on a forum, U-Verse in 2011. It's usually a software problem and eventually goes away. For now report it to your service provider, you don't how many people are having the problem that aren't on AVS.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 489
When you change from a Station using 720p to one using 1080i (or 480i), there will usually be an Audio/Video GLITCH as the TV (or AVR) re-synchronizes to the changed format. You can eliminate this by configuring Cable Box to ALWAYS output the SAME Resolution (such as EITHER 1080i for highest resolution OR 720p for highest refresh rate), irrespective of the program resolution. I configured my SPECTRUM box so that 720p is displayed as 720p and all others are displayed or upconverted to 1080i....so I ONLY have a GLITCH when changing to/fm a small number of 720p stations (e.g. ABC, ESPN and other Sports Channels).

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-16-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
When you change from a Station using 720p to one using 1080i (or 480i), there will usually be an Audio/Video GLITCH as the TV (or AVR) re-synchronizes to the changed format. You can eliminate this by configuring Cable Box to ALWAYS output the SAME Resolution (such as EITHER 1080i for highest resolution OR 720p for highest refresh rate), irrespective of the program resolution. I configured my SPECTRUM box so that 720p is displayed as 720p and all others are displayed or upconverted to 1080i....so I ONLY have a GLITCH when changing to/fm a small number of 720p stations (e.g. ABC, ESPN and other Sports Channels).
Since I love to pass on semi-useless information, I'll mention that the pop at channel change has always been a problem with external tuners vs the internal tuner. When a TV changes its own tuner, the first thing the microprocessor does is mute the sound, then changes channel, then un-mutes the sound. At high volume levels that pop is pretty hard on audio amps. (try explaining that to a customer)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page