Lag Watching Football with Tuner - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Lag Watching Football with Tuner

I have a Vizio E70-E3. If I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know. I cut the cord a few weeks ago, added an over the air antenna outside and added the DTV-103 ASTC HD Digital TV Tuner. For the last two weeks, when I've watched local channels no problems. The image looks great, but watching the Super Bowl, I noticed the lag during action. During huddles and other things, image was fine. It shouldn't be the antenna or signal. My son was watching it in his room and he didn't have an issue. His tv is a little older but it's an LCD with a tuner. Then in the fourth quarter when the wife got tired of my screaming at the tv, she went to our bedroom and finished watching it there and she too said no issues. Something, tv is an older LCD but it has a built in tuner. So I think the issue is between the tuner and my tv. I do have an A/V. Pioneer elite SC-75. I didn't have the issue watching football when I had Directv. I plugged the tuner into the same HDMI spot the Directv receiver was in to keep it simple for everyone else. All motion enhancements on the tv are off. Any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Take the Vizio back and buy an actual TV set that has a built-in tuner. That "home theater display" has forced you into a Rube Goldberg-like arrangement with poor results due to integration issues with the external tuner and the receiver.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 268
We use a Tivo OTA(purchased during Cyber Monday sale) for our tuner, connected to a Panasonic Plasma.It works very well and offers the added benefit of having a DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
Try bypassing the Pioneer and connect the tuner directly to the TV.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The Vizio is not a television set, it's only a display. We run into this all the time from folks who just got home from Walmart or Best Buy with their new Vizio and one of our antennas. They call us because they can't figure out how to connect the antenna to their new "TV". Unfortunately, they didn't notice that really small disclaimer on the side panel of the box that, in small print, explains that you can't use an antenna with the display. We usually advise them to return the Vizio and buy something else that explicitly says "HDTV", "TV", or "Televison" on the outside of the box. IIRC, it's a long-standing US Federal regulation or rule that anything labeled as a TV set is required to have a tuner. That's why Vizio calls them a "Home Theater Display", a distinction that isn't apparent to the casual customer.

As to the OP's dilemma, there's probably some sort of timing issue between the converter box and the rest of the system. It's hard to say if there's any adjustment possible anywhere in the system to correct the audio/video sync problem. You'd have to poke around and see what options are available.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
I have the same issue with my RCA tuner. Not always, but sometimes the voice is out of sync. When this happens on 1 channel it might be fine on another. I've kinda learned to live with it because I rarely watch live TV on that one. Same thing, TVs using built in tuners are fine. In my case I had to use a tuner because the Audio gear is in another room from the TV and I wanted to use the 1 existing hdmi cable for all sources. So the tuner goes through the receiver and then to the tv. The fire tv however is always fine going through the same setup.

If anyone know of a bullet proof tv tuner let me know and I may buy it and try it.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smsoto0055 View Post
I cut the cord a few weeks ago, added an over the air antenna outside and added the DTV-103 ATSC HD Digital TV Tuner. For the last two weeks, when I've watched local channels no problems. The image looks great, but watching the Super Bowl, I noticed the lag during action.... All motion enhancements on the tv are off. Any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I have the same issue with my RCA tuner. Not always, but sometimes the voice is out of sync.
Would that RCA tuner be a DTA880? Both that model and the DTV-103 are MStar-based tuners. I've heard a few other complaints; apparently A/V-sync issues are common with several of these.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
If anyone know of a bullet proof tv tuner let me know and I may buy it and try it.
Still working on that one....
post #8 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 PM

DTA880, thats the one! It was cheap if I recall. Like I said, its not a huge deal for me because the living room TV is 99% streaming so we rarely use the 880 and its not all the time that it has problems, but at some point I should try swapping the thing for something else.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just learned of this tuner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamajestic View Post
NS-DXA3

I do not recall this box being discussed previously. It looks like it has been available for a year. The first reviews on Best Buy are from February 2017.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5449400
Don't know much about it at this point, except that it isn't yet another MStar clone, and it costs $80. Doesn't record, BTW (no USB).

One reviewer did say it had delayed sound with a Vizio, however. Makes me wonder if A/V-sync issues are common using HDMI with Vizio displays

Edit: The Vizio has component inputs and the DTV-103 has component outputs; using them might fix the issue.

Other things you can try: change the tuner's digital audio output from PCM to RAW (or vice versa), or even try changing the resolution (the MStar tuners support 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and even 480p and 480i). There may be a particular setting that works better.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-06-2018 at 01:18 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Bookmarked! Thanks, I'll have to follow it for a bit and see what people are saying.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 PM

My TV is not a vizio. Funny but I cant remember what it is right now. But I know its not a vizio because I have one of those in the bedroom. Might be a panasonic.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My TV is not a vizio. Funny but I cant remember what it is right now. But I know its not a vizio because I have one of those in the bedroom. Might be a panasonic.
Oh, OK. The OP's TV was a Vizio, as was the reviewer who complained about the Insignia's audio delay.

Since yours isn't, hopefully a different tuner will fix your A/V issues. If the Insignia works (or you find something else that works) post back and let us know!
post #13 of 13 Old 02-06-2018, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Try bypassing the Pioneer and connect the tuner directly to the TV.
I'll give that a shot. I'm going to have to find some fast action on tv or put some on a USB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page