• 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 9 Old 09-08-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Signal meter on Sammy tv

Got a new Samsung TV for another room that shows a signal meter every time you change the chan. Odd that it changes by the hour. One chan can be near 80% and a hour latter 20%, seems to happen with all the OTA- HD chans. Not sure what would cause the change from almost nothing to near 80%. Even with near nothing showing on the meter the chan does not break up.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-08-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Got a new Samsung TV for another room that shows a signal meter every time you change the chan. Odd that it changes by the hour. One chan can be near 80% and a hour latter 20%, seems to happen with all the OTA- HD chans. Not sure what would cause the change from almost nothing to near 80%. Even with near nothing showing on the meter the chan does not break up.
Signal meters on a lot of tv's are not very accurate. I rarely used mine, even when adjusting the antenna when we had OTA. You will see fluctuations depending on the time of day, your location, and weather.
videobruce likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

My smart Samsung TVs have a signal meter that reads in SNR as well as relative signal strength. I personally find SNR the best and easier to obtain measurement of signal quality I've got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Signal meters on a lot of tv's are not very accurate. I rarely used mine, even when adjusting the antenna when we had OTA. You will see fluctuations depending on the time of day, your location, and weather.

My smart Samsung TVs have a signal meter that reads in SNR as well as relative signal strength. I personally find SNR the best and easiest way to obtain a useful measurement of signal quality.

Last edited by nathill; 09-12-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
My smart Samsung TVs have a signal meter that reads in SNR as well as relative signal strength. I personally find SNR the best and easiest way to obtain a useful measurement of signal quality.
So do my little Samsung's and LG. The LG has Signal Quality as well as Signal Strength (SNR). Both are good guides but I found they weren't very accurate because pq didn't always coincide with readings. At times they would indicate that I should be pixelating or blocking when the pq in fact was pristine, unless the readings were really low or bouncing all over the place. They are good indicators to give one a good idea when searching but I never used them to fine tune my reception. I just tweaked the rotor until I got a clean, consistent picture once the direction was determined.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
So do my little Samsung's and LG. The LG has Signal Quality as well as Signal Strength (SNR). Both are good guides but I found they weren't very accurate because pq didn't always coincide with readings. At times they would indicate that I should be pixelating or blocking when the pq in fact was pristine, unless the readings were really low or bouncing all over the place. They are good indicators to give one a good idea when searching but I never used them to fine tune my reception. I just tweaked the rotor until I got a clean, consistent picture once the direction was determined.
Mine will show blank and i get a perfect pic and no break up.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Signal Quality and SNR are same thing. Signal Strength is a different parameter. It is not SNR. In most cases any SNR reading above 15 dB should produce a perfect picture. Many TVs incorrectly label SNR as Signal Strength and many TVs don't actually have a Signal Strength meter. If your Signal Strength and Signal Quality meters track each other then the Signal Strength meter is just a Signal Quality meter with a different scale.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM

Agreed. That’s why I said they are not accurate and are only good for giving you an idea.
videobruce likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Most (not all) border on useless, providing one can actually find some of them buried deep in their lame menu. AFA better then nothing, that maybe detectable with many.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page