OrbyTV and other new satellite services - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-23-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Cool OrbyTV and other new satellite services

OrbyTV is a new satellite service competing with Dish and DirectTV satellite TV services.

For the present, they don't meet my needs - they don't cover local broadcast networks at all (they suggest you use an antenna), nor do they have SyFy, my favorite non-OTA network. But maybe they meet some people's needs, at a fairly competitive price.

Their biggest plus may be that BestBuy is now selling their hardware, instead of Dish or DirectTV.

Another possibility is that the availability of small satellites, launched simultaneously by a single rocket, similar in principle to those used in SpaceX's StarLink network (an attempt to use such satellites to take over a significant fraction of the Internet market), could create a plethora of new satellite TV businesses, which could compete with the current satellite TV businesses, lowering consumer prices. That could be very interesting. Especially since both Dish and DirectTV themselves sometimes seem to be emphasizing their Internet streaming TV services (Sling and the Internet versions of DirectTV) over their satellite based services.

I think consumers should welcome the affect of such potential new competition on the TV content distribution market.

(Yes, I know that the launch of large numbers of such satellites could significantly affect the amount of space junk that could impact other satellites, and that astronomy buffs will hate what it might do to night sky viewing.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page