ChannelPlus DA-550BID or DA-550HHR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2019, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ChannelPlus DA-550BID or DA-550HHR

Will a DA-550BID work for a non Catv system? What will the problems be? I have a ChannelPlus DA-550BID, ChannelPlus 5435 modulator, Dish network receiver, and OTA antenna. The OTA antenna input would go in the Catv input of the DA-550BID. The 5435 and Dish receiver input would be the modulator inputs. I plan to use the ac adapter to power the DA-550BID. Will this work? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko59 View Post
Will a DA-550BID work for a non Catv system? What will the problems be? I have a ChannelPlus DA-550BID, ChannelPlus 5435 modulator, Dish network receiver, and OTA antenna. The OTA antenna input would go in the Catv input of the DA-550BID. The 5435 and Dish receiver input would be the modulator inputs. I plan to use the ac adapter to power the DA-550BID. Will this work? Thanks in advance for your help.
You would probably want the DA-550HHR which is specified for OTA, but try the DA-550BID since you already have it. It looks like it should work, but according to Amazon reviews there are design flaws and a high failure rate. You might want to consider a different distribution system.

Manual:
https://manuals.solidsignal.com/DA-550BID.pdf

Reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/ChannelPlus-5.../dp/B00006JPEI

https://www.amazon.com/550BID-Channe.../dp/B00006JPEH

There is one thing you must keep in mind with your type of distribution system. You are combining three signal sources and then splitting them for distribution. One of your signal sources is a modulator and one is an antenna. If the output of the modulator is set too high, its output will reach the antenna through the port to port isolation of the combiner. Your OTA antenna will then become a transmitting antenna for the modulator signals; the FCC might not like that.

If you are using a preamp for the OTA antenna, that will attenuate the modulator signals before they reach the antenna.

What channels will you be using for the output of the ChannelPlus 5435 modulator?
https://manuals.solidsignal.com/5445.pdf

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-14-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-18-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your quick response. I live in a rural area, my closest neighbor is a quarter mile away. I am hoping that the signal does not effect neighbors. I also have a preamp amplifier for the antenna.

The channels I have chosen to be modulated are Dish Network ch. 25 and 64. The ChannelPlus ch. 50, 54, and 62. Every so often the channels 25, 62, and/or 64 get a little snowy. There are no stations using those channels. Have not figured out why yet. Maybe, someone can help me with that.

What would be a better way to distribute the three inputs I have to my house of 6 TVs and recorder?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-18-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko59 View Post
The channels I have chosen to be modulated are Dish Network ch. 25 and 64. The ChannelPlus ch. 50, 54, and 62. Every so often the channels 25, 62, and/or 64 get a little snowy. There are no stations using those channels. Have not figured out why yet.
Are the channels snowy before the modulator or after? The signals coming out of the modulator shouldn't be snowy unless the signals coming in are snowy. The modulator outputs on 50, 54, and 62 are RF OTA UHF channels. Are the TV tuners set to AIR and not CABLE?

The signals coming out of the modulator are +35 dBmV without any attenuation. You should be using an attenuator to make them weaker. Analog signals shouldn't show any snow above -10 dBmV; snow begins to be obvious at -15 dBmV.
https://manuals.solidsignal.com/5445.pdf

see the Drop Level column on the right:

You probably don't have a signal level meter (SLM), but this is what a -10 dBmV (-59 dBm) signal looks like on the meter:

You need to have signals without snow as they come out of the modulator so that you will know if the problem is with the modulator, the signal, or the distribution system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThorCH3AntSNR15SS2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2655638  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 12-18-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page