Own my Cable Wireless Gateway (modem) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By videobruce

post #1 of 20 Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Own my Cable Wireless Gateway (modem)

Comcast has just hit us with price increases after removing a key Channel in October (TCM). Insult upon injury. Now $14/mo to rent the Gateway/Modem (Arris TG 1682G). I am thinking time to own my own equipment. Anyone gone through the changeover with Comcast? There are horror stories about buying the so called "retail approved equipment" and then Comcast rejecting for one reason or another.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-04-2020, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Wrong forum. Try DSLReports.
Tschmidt likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3 of 20 Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I have Comcast and have used my own modem and router for years without a problem. I think at the time Comcast offered a list of devices that worked with their system.
I just went to BB and bought reasonably priced devices which the salesperson said would work fine and he was correct. I've never had a problem and have saved a fortune...now if I could do that with my cable box.

Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-04-2020, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I did just go to the Comcast website. Very cunning how they list only 1 approved device for my area which handles telephone and wifi and it is the one I rent from them, the Arris TG 1692. So i go to Amazon and try to buy that and they are all used versions that some reviews suggest are registered as ex rentals and will be denied registration if one tries to give their number to Comcast. Is it me or is this sneaky Comcast at its best?

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #5 of 20 Old 01-04-2020, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I did just go to the Comcast website. Very cunning how they list only 1 approved device for my area which handles telephone and wifi and it is the one I rent from them, the Arris TG 1692. So i go to Amazon and try to buy that and they are all used versions that some reviews suggest are registered as ex rentals and will be denied registration if one tries to give their number to Comcast. Is it me or is this sneaky Comcast at its best?

I've been using a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and the Orbi Mesh WiFi router system for a couple of years now with Comcast and no issues at all. The Motorola modem is "approved by Xfinity" and works just fine. The modem is not a telephony modem if you need that service as well. I'd check out the Motorola site for Xfinity approved devices. I installed Motorola gateway at my daughter's new house and when Comcast came to setup her new service, the technician commented that they were very good, and a bit smaller in footprint than the Comcast gateways.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Is it me or is this sneaky Comcast at its best?
In this case, you.

As noted, Xfinity does have a list of approved modems, modem routers, and gateways for internet and phone, for use with their services. It's an FCC rule. I've used my own equipment, for probably over 20 years.

If you need a gateway, you won't have a choice and it will most likely be the exact same model they want to rent to you. In that case you can disable the gateway router and still use your choice of WiFi hardware to improve your performance.

Just don't buy Xfinity/Comcast or other cable company (e.g. Cox, WOW), branded equipment off ebay or from other sources.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...d-cable-modems

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Last edited by Ken H; 01-04-2020 at 11:24 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-04-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
...now if I could do that with my cable box.
TiVo.

post #8 of 20 Old 01-05-2020, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
In this case, you.

As noted, Xfinity does have a list of approved modems, modem routers, and gateways for internet and phone, for use with their services. It's an FCC rule. I've used my own equipment, for probably over 20 years.

If you need a gateway, you won't have a choice and it will most likely be the exact same model they want to rent to you. In that case you can disable the gateway router and still use your choice of WiFi hardware to improve your performance.

Just don't buy Xfinity/Comcast or other cable company (e.g. Cox, WOW), branded equipment off ebay or from other sources.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...d-cable-modems
Thanks for the tips, Ken. As I noted there was only 1 wifi/phone enabled unit listed on their site and only available used, but your comments make me think I did not go to the right place and so I started over agian again just now. Found 3 choices to replace what my unit now does, one Netgear, one Motorola, and one Arris, so I guess I am in business. Purchase, unplug old unit, plug in new, call Comcast and give numbers, return old unit to their office in person. That correct and complete?

post #9 of 20 Old 01-05-2020, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
TiVo.
Oh yes. Before I cut the cord, I had the greatest DVR of all time, the Sony HDD 250, and then, when they died at the end of Sony and Rovi support, Tivo.

All in, I've literally saved thousands over time, and the cablecards usually work. The Scientific Atlanta DVR was probably built to a $25 price point....and the cable company remotes are nightmares.

Rent your modem (Optimum did this a few years ago, got the right box at a Big Box store, paid back 3x now, even if the box pukes somehow, still way ahead)

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, Ken. As I noted there was only 1 wifi/phone enabled unit listed on their site and only available used, but your comments make me think I did not go to the right place and so I started over agian again just now. Found 3 choices to replace what my unit now does, one Netgear, one Motorola, and one Arris, so I guess I am in business. Purchase, unplug old unit, plug in new, call Comcast and give numbers, return old unit to their office in person. That correct and complete?
Pretty much. They may want to get the numbers first before powering the unit up.

Sometimes the retail packaging will say the device will work with Xfinity or other cablecos.

Good luck.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-06-2020, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, guys. Read the reviews on the 3 devices and the results trying to get them tied into Comcast, etc. Mostly ok, but here and there some nasty stories of folks having issues, some of which resulted in no service at all for days. Reports of neither the device manufacturer nor Comcast folks (of course not) either being not knowledgeable or not competent/helpful.
Got the thinking I am betting my communications "ranch" (telephone, TV and Internet) on this going right. If I were alone, I would take the risk but with wife not so sure. Would be no hero if all our stuff went down for days. Years ago a Comcast owned modem went down and it was 3 days before Comcast would even get someone out, so now I have to really think about this. I would eventually save money, yes, but................................

post #12 of 20 Old 01-08-2020, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I will say one thing; Paying $14/mo to rent a gateway that costs $150-200 retail (far less would be Comcast's cost) would be like paying $100/day to rent a $30K car from Hertz. In any competitive environment, no one would be looking at $14, that's for sure.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-08-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I will say one thing; Paying $14/mo to rent a gateway that costs $150-200 retail (far less would be Comcast's cost) would be like paying $100/day to rent a $30K car from Hertz. In any competitive environment, no one would be looking at $14, that's for sure.

As I mentioned above, I've had zero issues with the Motorola modem/Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi system on Comcast. The only downside is if you have issues with the equipment Comcast typically won't support it because it's not theirs. As far as telephone service goes, we just use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) and that works very well.

post #14 of 20 Old 01-08-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Many thanks, Otto!

post #15 of 20 Old 01-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Many thanks, Otto!

I should add that WiFi-C is phone dependent. IOW, your phone has to be able to support it and does your service provider (most do now). WiFi-C just uses your own WiFi system to connect to and pass along your cellular calls.

post #16 of 20 Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I should add that WiFi-C is phone dependent. IOW, your phone has to be able to support it and does your service provider (most do now). WiFi-C just uses your own WiFi system to connect to and pass along your cellular calls.
Guess I am behind the times. Know about VOIP in general but not Wifi-C. Many thanks!

post #17 of 20 Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Guess I am behind the times. Know about VOIP in general but not Wifi-C. Many thanks!
For example, any iPhone from the 6 up is WiFi-C capable. All you need to do is select WiFi Calling on the phone, put in your address for E911 purposes and that's it (or should be). You might want to check with your ISP first to see if they do in fact support WiFi-C. There is no cost because it uses your WiFi connection and any charges would be billed as normal under your phone plan.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-09-2020, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For example, any iPhone from the 6 up is WiFi-C capable. All you need to do is select WiFi Calling on the phone, put in your address for E911 purposes and that's it (or should be). You might want to check with your ISP first to see if they do in fact support WiFi-C. There is no cost because it uses your WiFi connection and any charges would be billed as normal under your phone plan.
Very helpful, Otto. May want to explore that....Thanks!

post #19 of 20 Old 01-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Very helpful, Otto. May want to explore that....Thanks!

Forgot to add but if you do look at getting your own equipment, Motorola does offer an xfininty approved gateway as well as a separate modem only. My daughter uses the Motorola gateway with her Comcast and it works just fine.

post #20 of 20 Old 01-13-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Forgot to add but if you do look at getting your own equipment, Motorola does offer an xfininty approved gateway as well as a separate modem only. My daughter uses the Motorola gateway with her Comcast and it works just fine.
Great. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page