Occasional 2 to 4 second glitches - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-22-2020, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Occasional 2 to 4 second glitches

Back in October 2019 just after the repack 6 was completed, I was getting occasional "hiccups" or "glitches" where the full or nearly full strength signal would drop to nothing, the screen would go black for a few seconds, then the signal would return and a second later everything was normal again (while waiting a few seconds for the channel information to disappear from the bottom of the screen.

I decided there were three possible things that were causing the problem:

1. The Televes pre-amplifier/combiner at my antennas
2. The power injector for the Televes pre-amplifier/combiner
3. The TCL 55R617 television itself (or possibly something highly unusual in the cable feeding that TV).

Since I also have in the basement an infrequently used newer TCL 43S515 television which gets its coaxial feed from the same source (Televes pre-amp to it's power injector to the television) and recently purchased two inexpensive Wyze Wi-Fi cameras, I had the two televisions tuned to the same station with a camera recording both TVs. I recorded the times of four different hiccups on the regular upstairs TCL 55R617, then checked the camera recording of the basement television. Not once did a hiccup happen on that basement television.

That makes it look like the Televes equipment is not responsible and it is the TCL 55R617 television itself (or cable input to that television) that is the problem.

This hiccup only happens when using antenna television. I've never seen it happen when streaming any other service via the internet. Also, I don't remember it happening except when watching a regular major network station (WBBM 2 CBS RF12 in Chicago or WNDU 16 RF27 or WSBT-TV 22 RF29 in South Bend.

It also started becoming very annoying after the Service Pack 6 completed this past October, but I believe it might have happened once before that.

One other thing for those that think there might have been a brief period where the signal was TOO strong. While watching Chicago channel WMAQ 5 NBC RF33 I had only 4 out of 5 bars and it still happened, so I doubt it is a signal overload issue.

So the evidence so far is the television itself (or the small chance of a problem between the power injector and the television).

Anyone else see something strange similar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 4786
You already posted this in the South Bend thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...l#post58932738

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page