Help buying a new HDTV for gaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-23-2020, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help buying a new HDTV for gaming?

I suppose I should narrow the field a bit in hope of nailing-down something concrete for my use-case. If I were to get a HDTV as of right now, I'd realistically be limited to what is available on these two results pages, as I could do BNP 12 Months Later, then make the last 200 payment on credit card to effectively give me 13 months to pay TV off. I'd like to stick somewhere inside -15,000 range, as I could probably pay that off in the due time.

61" - 70" :
very.co.uk/61quot-to-70quot/e/b/21967,4294845493/promo/tv-cta.end?sort=brand,1&numProducts=73

71+":
very.co.uk/71quot-above/e/b/120156,4294845493/promo/tv-cta.end?numProducts=73

Some factors:
  • Hearing problems, so I'd like a TV that doesn't have a low volume coming from it (low volume has been levvied at the 75" Samsung RU7020 I had my eye on by some reviews, others say it's got great sound). I'm also open to purchasing a soundbar down the line if a TV can be got for a good enough deal and 'boosted' later-on, but soundbars and surround sound systems would be another area I'm clueless on, and is a research battle for another day.
  • Eyesight issues. In 2010ish, I found Plasma and LCD screens to be too dim, as if someone had turned the contrast setting down. Whites appeared as grey or yellow depending on the TV etc. I generally liked white to look white, and I found that the more back-light a TV had the better, so I always went for LED screens. This preference for well-lit screen and whites looking white carries-forward, but I'm lost in all the LED, OLED, QLED these days.
  • I'd like to sit across the living room like normal-eyesighted people do. This is why 65-70+ screen size is the focus, as hopefully in-game subtitles and mini-map icons will be blown-up and readable from further away at those screen sizes.
  • When it comes to future-proofing features - like 8K, various HDR options, HDMI 2.1 etc. there's a certain degree of thinking to myself "Not bothered, had a 2009 TV for the past 9 years and was happy. 'Any' new TV is going to be exponentially better than what I had (Bravia KDL-40ex403)".
    But of course then there's Fear Of Missing Out. I do know that I'll be using TV mostly to play games on PS5 - so I guess I really should try to get a TV with features that lean-into that, but I don't really know HDR from HDR+10 or whatever else nonsence marketing words are getting thrown around, I think I saw PurColor or something the other night, wtf? I think having good HDR, and good backlight/whites looking white as described above would work hand-in-hand to make the viewing experience better for my eyesight issues.
Is there anything from the Very pages linked-above that really suits my needs scenario outlined in this message? Or at least covers enough of the bases adequettely?

Many thanks for any help, everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 4785
You're in the wrong section as outlined in the sticky threads at the top:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...-not-here.html

It's generally a good idea to read posts that say "Read Before Posting" ...BEFORE posting.

I'd move you, but you have two choices.. create a new post in the Displays section of the technology you're interested in or place a reply in the "Help Me Choose" thread at the top of the LCD section.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page