Roku Ultra affects my OTA antenna signal!! Why?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Davenlr
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 7 Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Roku Ultra affects my OTA antenna signal!! Why?!

Hey Guys,

I am really baffled at something I just discovered and am hoping you can help me understand what is going on.

First off, I use a Mohu Antenna to watch live OTA TV and a Roku Ultra for internet TV/movies via ethernet cable. I do not use any of my TV's (LG OLED B8) built-in internet capabilities - in other words, no wi-fi and no ethernet directly to the TV. The only cables I have plugged into the TV are the coaxial for the antenna, an HDMI for the Roku Ultra, and an HMDI for my dvd player.

What I have discovered is that while I am in Antenna/Coax mode watching OTA TV, if I unplug the Roku's ethernet cable from the Roku unit, the antenna signal for certain channels becomes instantly weak and or, for most channels (all of which normally have very strong signals), completely gone. Same thing happens if I unplug the HDMI cable from the Roku unit. As long as both of those cables are plugged into the Roku unit, my OTA antenna signal is nice and strong for all channels. In fact, if I unplug the HDMI cable and then just lightly touch the cable to the Roku unit's HDMI port (but not actually plug it into the port), the antenna signal suddenly gets stronger.

If I unplug the power cable from the Roku unit, that makes no difference for the antenna signal. However, even with the Roku unit's power cable unplugged, the same issue still exists. In other words, even without power going to the Roku unit, both the ethernet and HDMI cables still need to be plugged into the Roku unit or else the OTA antenna signals are really bad.

What in the world is going on here?? Why would unplugging the Roku unit's ethernet cable or HDMI cable affect my OTA antenna signal??

Thanks!

Last edited by mraya77; 03-11-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It may be using the HDMI cable ground as part of your antenna. By adding more "ground cable" you are in effect, adding more antenna.
To verify, just run a ground wire from your TV antenna connectors ground and connect it to the ground terminal on your 120V outlet (assuming the TV only has a 2 prong plug to begin with). That should eliminate any changes from using the HDMI cable, if that is the cause.
ncshawng likes this.

N5GGG
post #3 of 7 Old 03-12-2020, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Hard to say for sure but there could be interference coming from the cables when they're not terminated by the Roku. How far away is the antenna from the cables? Try moving the antenna much farther away from the cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Hard to say for sure but there could be interference coming from the cables when they're not terminated by the Roku. How far away is the antenna from the cables? Try moving the antenna much farther away from the cables.
Thank you. The Roku and antenna are about 8.5 feet away from each other. To be clear, the Roku makes the OTA signals better. Without the Roku, I only get 6 OTA channels but with the Roku as long both the HDMI and ethernet cable is plugged into the Roku), I get 51 OTA channels. And that is the case, whether or not the Roku's power cord is plugged in or not.

Last edited by mraya77; 03-12-2020 at 04:27 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2020, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraya77 View Post
The Roku and antenna are about 8.5 feet away from each other.
I'd move the antenna as far away as possible, at least into another room and see if that works. If it does then the problem is interference. You also could disconnect the other end of the HDMI and ethernet cables to see if that eliminates the problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-13-2020, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraya77 View Post
Thank you. The Roku and antenna are about 8.5 feet away from each other. To be clear, the Roku makes the OTA signals better. Without the Roku, I only get 6 OTA channels but with the Roku as long both the HDMI and ethernet cable is plugged into the Roku), I get 51 OTA channels. And that is the case, whether or not the Roku's power cord is plugged in or not.
I understand your curiosity, but why worry about it?
Just leave the cables connected to Roku and enjoy your OTA. You're lucky it improves reception as opposed to interfering.

Maybe you found and great method for others that can't get good/stable reception using an indoor antenna!
Primestar31 likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post59366542

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page