How to Connect OTA Antenna in Cable-wired home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By DrDon
  • 1 Post By rabbit73

post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2020, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to Connect OTA Antenna in Cable-wired home

Hi.
I hope someone can help me understand what I need or if I can setup a OTA antenna like this. I currently have cable tv and internet, plan is to cut the cable tv part and use OTA broadcast instead. My main question is understanding how the antenna and cable tv frequencies would interact if both were connected. Here is a simple diagram of my proposed setup. My only way is to tap into an existing cable run on the second floor, can’t get any new cables past this point. I still need to use this cable jack so I would need a splitter in the wall. (splitter#2). Can I use a standard splitter or is there something else I should be doing? What would you do?

My biggest concern is say I leave this house some day and leave the splitter in the wall. If cable tv was reactivated again without anyone knowing about the splitter what would happen?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2705886  

Last edited by DrDon; 04-05-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 4914
You can't mix cable and OTA on the same line, period, even if you drop cable TV service but keep cable internet.

Your diagram makes it appear you're running a line of RG-6 from the attic antenna to the room with the lone television, correct? If true, get a double F-connector wall plate and connect the antenna to one and Cable to the other. That's for the next owner's benefit unless you decide, at some point, to get cable, again.

For a while, I had cable, DirecTV and OTA, which meant three separate RG-6 lines to each television location. Took some work with fishing cable and labeling things, but in the end, every TV in the house could access all three.

If you have multiple televisions in the house, an option would be to isolate the cable running to the modem so it's not split to go anywhere else. Depending on how your house is wired, that'd allow you to use the rest of the cable ports around the house for OTA.

We can help you make that work. See the "read before posting" threads at the top for the information we'll need and how/where to post it.

Doc

(Title edited for clarity)
rabbit73 and nathill like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewolf View Post
My main question is understanding how the antenna and cable tv frequencies would interact if both were connected.
Hello, spacewolf; welcome to the forum.

DrDon is correct; you must not mix antenna and cable TV frequencies because they overlap and will interfere with each other, and your antenna will radiate the cable TV signals coming through the inadequate port to port isolation of the combiner. This is called Cable Signal Egress, which is illegal.

Your diagram shows cable TV signals coming up from below, and antenna signals coming down from the antenna to the TV. Since you would have two sources of TV signals, you wouldn't be using the splitter as a splitter, you would be using it in reverse as a combiner.

The suggestion by DrDon, using a wall plate with two F-81 connectors, would allow you to choose how your system is wired and avoid having a splitter in the wall.

If you have cable and antenna signals at that dual wall plate, you can use an A/B switch to select which signals you want to use for the TV.

If you drop cable TV and want only antenna signals for all your TVs, then you can use a splitter to send the antenna signals to the TV shown and also down to other TVs. That splitter would be connected to the wall plate outside the wall.

Before you get too far into this project, you need to find out if the antenna will be able to provide the OTA signals you want.

Have you done that?

You also must not combine OTA signals with cable internet signals because your antenna will radiate the cable internet signals coming through the inadequate port to port isolation of the combiner.

cable modem operates on what frequency?
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r93...what-frequency
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spacewolfAVSdiagram2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2706128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Wall Plate3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	2706130  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 04-06-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everyone. That answered a lot of my questions, and correctly interpreted my poor explanations haha.

Looks like using the double wall plate is the way to go, with the easiest way to isolate the OTA antenna in the future if need be.

Thanks for explaining cable signal egress, I forget that an antenna isn’t just a receiver. The plan isn’t to have both OTA and cable tv active/connected at the same time but egress is something I would not have thought of. Because of this leaving a slitter in the wall and hoping it doesn’t mess anything up for the next guy is a real no go.

Glad I asked the experts
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Thank you for your response. Glad we were able to give you some useful information.
DrDon likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2020, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 4914
If you reach a point you want OTA distributed around the house, come back and ask. Two simple changes to your diagram would accomplish that without any mixing nor losing your internet.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page