Antenna cable routing: what sealant to use? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2020, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Antenna cable routing: what sealant to use?

MY plan is to install an antenna in the ground on a 4x4 post, about 3' from the side of my house. The coax would enter a PVC conduit 90 degree elbow at the bottom of the post, then go 3' underground thru PVC conduit, before going straight thru the concrete block foundation. I will use one of those small plastic coax bushings where it enters the block wall. My questions:

1) The top of elbow will probably be above ground. What should I use to seal around the coax cable in the conduit to keep out rain, etc. ?

2) And the same question for the other end of the underground coax before it enters the block wall. Where the coax exits the conduit underground, I assume I should seal the gap between the coax and conduit ?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2020, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
MY plan is to install an antenna in the ground on a 4x4 post, about 3' from the side of my house. The coax would enter a PVC conduit 90 degree elbow at the bottom of the post, then go 3' underground thru PVC conduit, before going straight thru the concrete block foundation. I will use one of those small plastic coax bushings where it enters the block wall. My questions:

1) The top of elbow will probably be above ground. What should I use to seal around the coax cable in the conduit to keep out rain, etc. ?

2) And the same question for the other end of the underground coax before it enters the block wall. Where the coax exits the conduit underground, I assume I should seal the gap between the coax and conduit ?

Thanks for any advice.

This will work. It is a very sticky putty-like material that can be pushed in place around the cable and will stay flexible:

https://www.summitsource.com/Bishop-...32-P10086.aspx
post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2020, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Does anyone have advice on finding the wood framing behind my soffit's fascia board ? My stud finder is not working properly, apparently because the fascia is covered by aluminum trim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Thanks. Does anyone have advice on finding the wood framing behind my soffit's fascia board ? My stud finder is not working properly, apparently because the fascia is covered by aluminum trim.
I don't know how thick your fascia is, but I've had pretty good luck with a small coin-shaped magnet on a string. Once you find 2 or 3, you can determine the spacing and do pretty well.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
I don't know how thick your fascia is, but I've had pretty good luck with a small coin-shaped magnet on a string. Once you find 2 or 3, you can determine the spacing and do pretty well.
Thanks. So you're method is to find the nails thru the fascia board into the framing members behind it ? The fascia board is 3/4" thick. My house is a ranch built in 1975. Would the framing behind the fascia more likely be 16" or 24" apart ?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Thanks. So you're method is to find the nails thru the fascia board into the framing members behind it ? The fascia board is 3/4" thick. My house is a ranch built in 1975. Would the framing behind the fascia more likely be 16" or 24" apart ?
Yes, find the nails. As to 16" or 24", yes https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.

As to which, no way to know. Here in the southeast, 16" 2x4 was almost all of individual home construction then. The only place I saw (from the street, I'm not a builder) 24" anything was ceiling joists and rafters. Today is different with 2x6 used for thicker insulation sometimes ... but spray foam gets those insulation levels in 2x4 construction.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-19-2020, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I will see what I can figure out. If I have to, I can remove one of the aluminum trim pieces and reinstall it. The problem I see is only one of the 12" standoff bracket holes will be able to be screwed into the framing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page