Closed Thread

post #1 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my LG 3200A

Overall appears exactly like the Sony - I like the remote though (no flip cover which I believe some said the Sony has).

The custom menu thing is annoying but I actually like the Surf Guide for changing around stations. The guide does drop audio when it puts the screen in the upper left corner. That is a little annoying as well - but for general surfing I am using the custom Surf Guide and it does not drop audio (and I like just the logos).

I posted in the other thread concerning OTA performance on the Sony. 2 of my digital stations are performing worse with the 3200A vs. my older Samsung T150. I still have to check my antenna and connections but this could be a problem.

Also - no audio dropouts all evening (running digital toslink cable to receiver).

Overall - I am very pleased. If I can just get my OTA HD ABC to clear up I do not believe I am going to have any other real issues (the custom guide thing I can overcome with my Pronto).

I'd say the LG is exactly like the Sony as has been previously indicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
According to the manual, the LSS-2300A ATSC Tuner uses LG's 4th generation VSB technology for improved over-the-air digital reception. It is possible the improvements are in solving multipath problems at the expense of receiver sensitivity for weak stations.

From Northern Virginia, I can receive all of the Baltimore stations with the Zenith 1080 & Zenith 520 with "normal" readings. The LG LSS-3200A detects the Baltimore stations, but only gets a "bad" reading ~ not enough to display. Of course, all of the Washington area stations are perfect.

The simultaneous HDTV & 480i works great, which facilitates DirecTV recording. Tom

P.S. I edited the above post from "good" to "normal" readings for the Zenith 1080 & Zenith 520. When I wrote it, I was thinking that "good" was the middle range. From my experience, "normal" readings are sufficient for viewing.
post #3 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On my Samsung T-150 my CBS was at about 60% and all of the rest were around 35-40% on the strenght meter. All locked in just fine.

On the LG my CBS is at about 80% (perfect reception), NBC is about 50% (perfect reception), ABC is about 40% (get some sporatic blocks), and by Fox/WB are about 35% still and are unwatchable (luckily these are only SD and I don't care if I get or not). Actually, CBS is the only station broadcasting at full power - so once the other go full power I would not expect any problems from my location (when ever that may actually happen).

It does appear the LG is slightly more sensitive in its reception of signals but requires at least 40% strength before given any reliable output. My Samsung was reliable at very low signal strenghts.

The other strange thing is that in original setup these stations were not picked up - like they didn't show available for my area or something. I had to manually add them. During manual add it searched and found them fine? Is it something strange with the channel not being verified with DirecTV or something.

Hopefully, JFerg can look into this a little (now that he has LG owners to discuss this with) and find out more information about the ATSC Tuner and how it behaves. Also - how about a firmware fix to get that default custom guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does the signal strength meter give you an actual number ot is it bad/normal/good like the Sony. Also is the remote able to controld other components, like volume on an amp etc.
post #5 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

The Zenith 1080, Zenith 520, and the LSS-2300A use the same meter to measure/display signal strength. Using the same antenna lead the 2300A shows less signal strength for the distant Baltimore stations. Tom
post #6 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It doesn't give a number just a bar rising from bad/normal/good. As with my Samsung, I am just estimating a % up from the bottom.
post #7 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Does the guide default to "All" as in the Sony?
post #8 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Stupid question, but are we talking about a 3200 or 2300? I thought the STB was the 3200 but all these 2300 references, if not just typos, are confusing me.

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #9 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes - it does default to All. It also has a brief sound delay as with the Sony when switching from full screen video to the video box in the guide (I don't really have a problem with that).

It does, as with the Sony, have the surf menu. The surf menu brings up the channel logo's for all your favorite channels. The surf menu is an overlay over top of the full screen video - so it does not interupt the sound. What would have been nice is if the surf menu had a way you could press info on each of the icons and get the current program description.

As I am going to setup my Pronto to automatically go to the custom guide, and I also like the surf menu, each of these issues is not a problem for me.

I would also like to put a plug in for www.********************* (since they are a sponsor I would assume that is ok). Robert (and Graham) did an excellent job getting me all of my new DirecTV equipment. They actually sent me 2 overnight shipments at no charge so I would have everything yesterday (including the the 3200A). Robert at **************** even followed up calling me at home last night to make sure everything arrived properly and that my install went smoothly. Robert is also a frequent poster here on the forum (DTV Tivo Dealer).
post #10 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

3200A
post #11 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks, there are too many model numbers to remember as it is!

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #12 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 01:22 PM

Do you have low noise preamp on your antenna for the test between the Samsung SIR-T150 and the LG?
post #13 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My antenna does have an amplifier connected between the antenna and which ever receiver I hook up.
post #14 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

I called LG Customer Support this morning. They sent an email to the engineers (probably Korea) and promised me a reply tomorrow. For me, the LSS-3200A is a nice DirecTV/OTA receiver. We need more field reports regarding possible weak/long distance signal reception. Tom
post #15 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 02:30 PM

But are you using a low noise preamp (like the Channel Master 7777) not a noisy distribution amplifier?
post #16 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using a Channel Master 7 ft. Parascope (4251) with a Titan 7775 UHF antenna pre-amp ~ slpit to two receivers. I also have a Winegard UHF 9095/UHF 4700 antenna pre-amp/with rotor ~ split to four receivers. I have the LG LSS-3200A, Zenith 520, Zenith 1080, Toshiba DST-3000, Samsung SIR-T150, Panny 50 & 51, AccessDTV card, & MyHD card. I've been doing this for well over four years. I'm tellling you that the LSS-3200A can not receive the Baltimore stations. Please don't talk about too much signal, since all the nearby Washington stations are perfect. Hope this helps. To properly evaluate the new LG box, we need some more field reports regarding weak signal strength reception. Tom
post #17 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tom Harms I am impressed and envious. I will bet anyone on this thread that Mr Harms knows of which he speaks.LOL
post #18 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a Winegard Sensar II amplified antenna. The amplifier is built into the antenna with the power box downstairs.
post #19 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Worked on getting my Pronto setup with the LG this evening. None of the built in database codes would work so I had to learn the buttons from the original remote. Now have the Guide so it goes to the custom automatically.

I very much like having my OTA HD integrated in with the remaining channels. The Pronto then gives me direct access to each of the different HD channels without using guide or anything.

Still getting a little pixelization on ABC - but haven't tried working with the antenna yet either. I'm going to also try it without the amplifier power hooked up to see if that is putting in some line noise the box doesn't like. Being I'm so close to no problems with ABC I'm hopefull just getting a tiny bit more signal with some antenna adjustment will clear everything up.

Note: LG box no wobbly legs and have not had a single audio dropout.

Summary of open issues (Hopefully JFerg can get some answers):
1. Performance with Weak OTA stations
2. Brief audio drop when switching to guide display
3. Lack of ability to set Custom Guide as default
post #20 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 07:34 PM

OK... Allow me to explain how a software update works. A manufacturer get one software update transmitted by DirecTV. Therefore, when a update is needed, "we" have to make sure it takes care of as many problems as possible. The concern about how the guide comes up (defaulting to "All") is noted.

The audio drop-out when switching to Guide is most likely due to the fact that there is twice as much guide info being accessed than on previous models (3.5 day APG vs. 7day APG). This however is being looked into for confirmation.

The weak signal recption... well, let's just say that Mr. Harms' file is actually on my desk.
post #21 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 08:13 PM

JFerg

After waiting through 3 upgrades on the 160, I'm not too impatient any more. Rather than rumor, I would rather wait for factual problems to be confirmed and then addressed.

Ken
post #22 of 173 Old 10-23-2003, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I definately understand that we are not going to see updates for individual fixes. Just as a new buyer it is nice to know the issues are being looked at and that there are fixes available.

Your direct feedback is one of the reasons I went with the LG box.

FYI - my wife was watching ER tonight on NBC HD OTA. She said she had to switch over to the standard channel half way through because it started breaking up. I never had NBC break up on the T150 box (I'd say the strength is about 40%). This is a concern as I'm not comfortable getting rid of my T150 box now?
post #23 of 173 Old 10-24-2003, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

bump
post #24 of 173 Old 10-24-2003, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Chris, Tom, I have the Sony hd300 and couldn't get my ABC station although I could on my hd100 and built in tv hd tuner. I was waiting for Sony to figure out the problem and thought why not split my OTA coax to the hd300 and the tv. I would use the hd300 for 4 of 5 digitals and the tv for the 5th. After hooking up a splitter, the signal strength increased on the ABC signal and now it comes in fine on the hd300! The other signals stayed the same. Try running your coax in to a splitter and then in to your 3200s and see if it works for you.
post #25 of 173 Old 10-24-2003, 08:08 PM

This points directly at something I mentioned either in this thread or another similar on... It might be possible that the signal is too strong and an anttenuator might help (technially that is what the above mentioned splitter is doing).
post #26 of 173 Old 10-24-2003, 10:50 PM

JFerg

You are right. Most of us think that if some signal is good, then amplified signal is better. That was the case in analog OTA. With digital you either have it or you don't. Amplifying digital signals can cause some real strange happenings, making you chase your tail.
Try dropping the amp if you have one, or as JFerg says, pads or db loss insertion devices can help if you are simply hitting the stb too hot.

Ken
post #27 of 173 Old 10-25-2003, 03:44 AM

I am having audio dropouts on one digital station here in Louisville, KY.
It is the NBC affil. and they occur on both my surround system fed by optical and on the TV fed by stereo out on the receiver. I am using the SONY HD-300. This has replaced a SONY HD-200 which did not have this problem. Also when I add Showtime HD and HDNET MOVIES to the favorite menu all I get is the channel number not the logo.

I just think it is great that you are on these forums and exchanging information. I know this is a LG thread but, wanted to get this info to you.
post #28 of 173 Old 10-25-2003, 12:17 PM

STEVENSHS

I know that your post was directed to JFerg, but there are two threads on the HD300. First Impressions and HD300 Questions. Check the main menu.
If you already know about them then consider this just friendly help.

Ken
post #29 of 173 Old 10-26-2003, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Playing around some with my box this morning and noticed a few items.

1 - the Dolby Digital logo never shows for any channel. Don't HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, HDNet, etc. broadcast 5.1. I haven't had anything show up with the logo lit - or is there just little programming broadcast 5.1.

2 - Playing around with the whole customer menu option, I noticed under the Locking section for parental control that you can't lock a channel if it is hidden in your custom channel selection. This led me to believe that if parental control was on that hidden channels would not be accessible. Not the case, when locked it doesn't do anything different with the guide. Therefore, if you hide a channel in the custom menu you can't put a parental lock on it - what if a parent wanted to hide a channel and lock it. This is not a problem for me (my kids are real young) but would think it would be an issue for others.

Just a couple little items thought I would pass along.

Also note: My firware says revision 8/20/03 (curious if this is different for the LG vs. Sony).
post #30 of 173 Old 10-26-2003, 08:49 AM

Firmware dates do not matter, version number does.

Have you tried to LOCK a channel and then HIDE it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page