The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 588 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 236Likes

post #17611 of 17678 Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
I don't suppose you have a line on a reasonably-priced replacement for the old Pico and Pico-clone UVSJs?
Radio Shack 15-2586/1502586
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...itter-combiner

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17612 of 17678 Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Shorting Stubs Used as a UVSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
And a bit more of a general antenna theory question here, but can anyone point to something that explains how the 1/4 wave stubs on the ANT751 work to knock out the UHF signals from the VHF elements? I like to think I understand antenna stuff better than the average Joe, but that part is just FM to me, especially how it gets rid of the UHF signal from the VHF elements, but apparently has no effect on the UHF signal from the UHF element. I understand enough to know that being 1/4 wavelength (for two different wavelengths) is important, but beyond that it's just .

Winegard UHF Tetrapole Stub Function

from Winegard Patent US3,518,693

The dipole 12 differs from the conventional folded dipole in that the upper dipole arms 12a are not continuous but split to form separate inboard ends. However, with the feeder stubs 20 mounted at the inboard ends of the upper dipole arms 12a as previously described, a low impedance, or R-F short, is presented across these ends at frequencies within the UHF frequency band. As a result, driven element 12 serves as a folded dipole in the conventional sense for this frequency range with signals being fed across the gap at the inboard ends of dipole arms 12a without any substantial effect.

At frequencies below the UHF range, however, the R-F short between dipole arms 12a is no longer present and a high impedance (open circuit) is effected. With this result it will be understood that the antenna constructed in accordance with the present invention will operate effectively on frequencies within the UHF band and at the same time permit signals within the VHF band or other frequencies from a separate antenna structure to be coupled to the inboard ends of dipole arms 12a, and therethrough to the terminal connection points 12d to the down lead T.

No adverse effect is encountered for either the signals in the VHF or UHF bands and signals in both bands are coupled to but one down line without an intervening coupling apparatus being required.

End of Patent Description

Shorting stubs are used in place of a UVSJ in a combo antenna for convenience and low cost. They are not quite as effective as a real UVSJ filter, because a stub is only a short for one frequency. Two pairs of wide stubs cover UHF fairly well.

The GE 34792 contains a real UVSJ filter:

The GE 29884 is the outdoor version:

Attachment 2 shows what happens to the UHF Polar Pattern if you do not use some kind of isolation network like a UVSJ or shorting stubs to remove the UHF signals received by the VHF section of a combo antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA ANT751stubsRev2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	2567980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolation Networks-Salvati.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2568078  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 05-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #17613 of 17678 Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Here is a review of a Winegard antenna which I read about in the Cleveland PD but here is the original article:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ous-tv-antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17614 of 17678 Old 05-28-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Here is a review of a Winegard antenna which I read about in the Cleveland PD but here is the original article:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ous-tv-antenna
Good antenna with built in amp but plastic build quality may be a concern outdoors. Great for attic. Currently on sale Amazon for $119 with $17.90 discount coupon.
post #17615 of 17678 Old 05-28-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Good antenna with built in amp but plastic build quality may be a concern outdoors. Great for attic. Currently on sale Amazon for $119 with $17.90 discount coupon.
Also Winegard Flatwave Air on sale Amazon for $67.98. Good outdoor flat panel antenna also perform very good with built in amp. But maybe not quite as good a Elite model for VHF because it lack VHF dipole.
post #17616 of 17678 Old 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

But I still like Antop 400BV flat panel antenna with VHF dipole. Come with inline amp but excels if you add external preamp instead. Has indoor stand or can be used attic or outdoors.
post #17617 of 17678 Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Winegard Elite 7550 appears to be a 4-Bay Dipole Antenna (similar to W-G HD-4400)...PLUS a pair of (apparently Unconnected) UHF Resonator Rods at Top and Bottom....PLUS a Hi-VHF Dipole (likely 0 dBd = 2.2 dBi, give or take some Combining Loss????):
http://www.winegard.com/help/images/c/cd/2452393.pdf
http://www.winegard.com/elite

"We're the NEW Winegard....we no longer NEED to provide any Stinking SPECS!!!!" However, Azimuthal Pattern Chart indicates either 8-10 dBi OR 8-10 dBd = 10.2-12.2 dBi in UHF Band....they didn't stipulate, but I suspect it's the latter, higher numbers.

Clearly someone chose to use a "Pretty"....but WAY TOO SMALL Reflector System....which explains why HD-4400 4-Bay Dipole with 4 Reflector Rods has significantly higher Gain = 12.7 to 15.1 dBi:
https://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mul...winegardhd4400

================================================== ============
HDB-4X is a REAL 4-Bay Bowtie Antenna from Solid Signal at 1/3 the cost:
https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Signal.../dp/B00CX6QBIO
Also CM4221HD at 1/3 the cost:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B000FVTPX2
Or A-D DB-4e Re-Optimized for current 470-698 MHz Band:
https://www.amazon.com/Element-Bowti.../dp/B0074H3IU6

Plus your CHOICE of a VHF Antenna, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire.../dp/B00LHFRCMG [Universal VHF Dipole Kit incl VHF/UHF Combiner, $25 with Prime S/H]

Or, if you need more than a simple Dipole for Ch7-13, either of the fol. Hi-VHF Antennas:
https://www.amazon.com/30-2475-Fring.../dp/B014M0XXES
https://www.amazon.com/30-2476-Fring.../dp/B07R69QJ3Q
Where VHF/UHF Combiner is extra:
https://www.amazon.com/Masthead-Ante.../dp/B015ZSVDAW [DC PASS on UHF Port]

Last edited by holl_ands; 05-29-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #17618 of 17678 Old 05-29-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately Winegard no longer makes their 4400 and 8800 UHF antennas. 4bay and 8bay versions. They were good antennas. But I guess they are now going for cosmetic and aesthetic appeal.
post #17619 of 17678 Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have had an 8800 since before the digital transition. It still works well. I am thinking of replacing it since the last time I checked it, it had some rust on it, and one of the whiskers seem to be loose. Birds keep landing on them.

The 8800 has to be aimed very tightly on the station you want too. Turning it just an inch can mean no signal or a good signal for weaker stations. I have been very pleased with it over the years. I think it is much better than the 4400.
post #17620 of 17678 Old 06-01-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
I have...an 8800... and one of the whiskers seem to be loose. Birds keep landing on them.

I used to service the cut-to-channel VHF antennas on a highrise building where the elements kept breaking off. The manager told me that it was because of the birds and I thought, "Yeah, sure", but what I didn't realize until I saw it was that they'd have a dozen birds light on the elements, and when the wind would blow, they would act like sails and develop enough force to bend and eventually break off the elements.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 06-01-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #17621 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
I used to service the cut-to-channel VHF antennas on a highrise building where the elements kept breaking off. The manager told me that it was because of the birds and I thought, "Yeah, sure", but what I didn't realize until I saw it was that they'd have a dozen birds light on the elements, and when the wind would blow, they would act like sails and develop enough force to bend and eventually break off the elements.
I have a tv antenna hooked to six boxes in my house and a channel master (ota) dvr. Things are working good in that department. I am wondering about setting up a cellular antenna. I called ATT, and they told me to use wifi for cell calls in my house. They were not very helpful in giving information about cellular antennas. I see some antennas online that say they will manage 5g when it completely rolls out. I am not sure about what is needed besides the antenna.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Alanlee

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #17622 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I am wondering about setting up a cellular antenna. I called ATT, and they told me to use wifi for cell calls in my house. They were not very helpful in giving information about cellular antennas. I see some antennas online that say they will manage 5g when it completely rolls out. I am not sure about what is needed besides the antenna.

Any thoughts?
Regards
Alanlee
Exactly what are you trying to do? You can't just plug an outside antenna into a cell phone. There is a such thing as a cell phone booster that can work quite well if set up properly.
post #17623 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Exactly what are you trying to do? You can't just plug an outside antenna into a cell phone. There is a such thing as a cell phone booster that can work quite well if set up properly.
I saw this on Amazon. It looks interesting.

https://boltontechnical.com/bolton-t...ional-antenna/

The cellular signal in my house is weak. A couple of miles from my house I get a 5g lte signal on my iPhone XS. I started thinking "what about a cellular antenna" and whatever else goes with it. I have seen people using cellular antennas in remote areas when I am camping. Those antennas seem to work with varying degrees of effectiveness.

I saw that antenna on Amazon; that seems like a good start. However I am a bit stymied by the cell phone boosters I have looked at online. It seems too early to look for a 5g booster, but 4g might be cost effective. I would like not to spend $500 on a booster, especially when I know that 5g is coming. I was wondering if someone on this thread has experience with the antennas and the boosters, and might head me in the right direction.

The advice I got from ATT was to use the internet for cellular calling. Ok - that works, but I would like to experiment with OTA cellular at my house, and maybe end up putting something on my RV, car and/or boat. It's really just a bit of fun.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.

Last edited by Alanlee; 06-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #17624 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was wondering if someone on this thread has experience with the antennas and the boosters, and might head me in the right direction.

I had a cell phone booster (WeBoost) at my previous location and it worked great. That antenna is only an antenna. You still need the booster. The booster is a little tricky to get working right. The indoor and outdoor antennas need to be far enough apart and not pointing at each other so there's no interference.

I wouldn't be buying anything in anticipation of 5G at this point. If you have poor cell coverage now I wouldn't expect 5G to be better... probably worse.

Attached is a picture of the pair of 850MHz yagis pointed at my best cell site 13 miles away. The 2nd picture is a 5' dish and LPDA feed pointed at a backup site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cell Phone Yagis.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	873.0 KB
ID:	2580426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish-LPDA_feed-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2580428  
mattdp and Alanlee like this.
post #17625 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've yet to install one, but I've done a decent amount of research on cell boosters. Like others have said, you want to ensure that the antennas are far enough apart so the system doesn't start "ringing."

I'd go with WeBoost or Wilson products - they both make products that cover most all of the band currently used for 4G/LTE. Directional yagis, pairs of directional yagis and proper aim are important. https://www.cellmapper.net/ can help you out, although a spectrum analyzer would also be invaluable.
Alanlee likes this.
post #17626 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had a cell phone booster (WeBoost) at my previous location and it worked great. That antenna is only an antenna. You still need the booster. The booster is a little tricky to get working right. The indoor and outdoor antennas need to be far enough apart and not pointing at each other so there's no interference.

I wouldn't be buying anything in anticipation of 5G at this point. If you have poor cell coverage now I wouldn't expect 5G to be better... probably worse.

Attached is a picture of the pair of 850MHz yagis pointed at my best cell site 13 miles away. The 2nd picture is a 5' dish and LPDA feed pointed at a backup site.
Ok - now I have some ideas. Thanks

mattdp - I will check out WeBoost and Wilson products. thanks

post #17627 of 17678 Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Re 5G: Keep in mind it will operate at much higher frequencies and will thus require different (luckily smaller) antennas. Also keep in mind there will likely be more 5G cell sites than 4G cell towers, with each 5G site covering a smaller area. 5G transceivers may be placed on street lamps or something similar; the 5G frequencies are much more "line-of-sight" than 4G and less able to diffract around small obstacles.
post #17628 of 17678 Old 06-21-2019, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI: Each Carrier has exclusive channels assigned within particular Frequency Bands used for 4G/LTE (voice & medium speed Data = 10 to 25 Mbps)....but some might not be supported in any given location....and some Bands might not be supported in older phones...and new Bands [with wider Bandwidths as well as higher 5G Data Rates] are expected to come on-line "soonish":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T...quency_summary

Note that Band Numbers correspond to different assignments within each Band. 700 MHz Band has longest Range, but usually lowest data rate due to narrower Bandwidth.

FYI: Thus far, prototype 5G [oftentimes it's not quite "real" 5G] are inner city micro/nano-cells for trial runs. In suburbs many microcells would need to be installed on [many/most/all???] lamp posts....IF that ever happens (5G via LEO SAT is coming....soonish).

So a 4G/LTE Booster is specific to a particular Carrier....and SOME support multiple Carriers, just in case you might want to change Carriers.

You should talk to local suppliers of Boosters [in addition to AT&T] to make SURE that a particular model will do what you WANT....and they will also know which way to point the outdoor antenna when they install it. For DIY/Amazon, it's risky, cuz you're on your own......

Just a few examples so you know what sort of AT&T Boosters are available...and one company's evaluations:
https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/...ignal-boosters

https://www.amazon.com/Booster-Ampli.../dp/B07NWDDMDT [Only AT&T, 700 MHz in Bands 12/17]
https://www.amazon.com/Phone-Signal-.../dp/B07GZ8FN79 [Only AT&T + Verizon, 700 MHz in Bands 13 (Verizon), 12/17]
https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Ampl.../dp/B07RS26SRL [Only AT&T + T-Mobile, 700 MHz in Bands 12/17]

All Multiple Carriers, Multi-Band:
https://www.amazon.com/Cell-Phone-Si.../dp/B07RY4L3LW
https://www.amazon.com/SureCall-Fusi.../dp/B01AWGY4TE
https://www.amazon.com/5-Band-Phone-.../dp/B07NTZKCN3
https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-47041.../dp/B01N705CF3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWFYWNN/ref=emc_b_5_t

Last edited by holl_ands; 06-21-2019 at 03:09 AM.
post #17629 of 17678 Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pictured is a Directv dish which I did not take down when I stopped using their service. Two questions: can the dish be converted to a cell phone antenna? Can I Use the RG6 coaxial cable that is attached to it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2584396  

post #17630 of 17678 Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Pictured is a Directv dish which I did not take down when I stopped using their service. Two questions: can the dish be converted to a cell phone antenna? Can I Use the RG6 coaxial cable that is attached to it?

LOL, no you can't use it for cellular.
Alanlee likes this.

Lifespeed

91XG Yagi for San Francisco, DB4e bowtie for Fremont
SiliconDust HDHR4-2US network tuners, one per antenna
Media server PC running Emby
TV Fool report
post #17631 of 17678 Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No. Even if you were to use a proper feed it is too small to provide much gain. A yagi is better.
post #17632 of 17678 Old 06-25-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
I assume you mean, "can the dish be converted into a reflector for a cell phone antenna?"

A: Today's cell service frequencies are too low for such a small dish to do you any good. But once 5G becomes a thing, it might work as a reflector for a 5G antenna.

As for your second question, RG 6 cable works up to around 2 GHz, so it should work with most current cell service frequencies. But 5G will require something different.

So: use the cable now; save the dish for later.
post #17633 of 17678 Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question Cary, NC - High House & Maynard - Get Rid of Rotor?

I currently have an ancient Winegard 8200 on the roof and cheap (at the time) Chanel Master rotor. I have grown tired of having to twist the rotor for every different channel. It gets out of calibration easily and is balky in cold weather. I have been using a compromise fixed location but now that the repack is happening this is no longer working. Most of my desired stations are either ESE or WNW.

I was considering a Clearstream 4Max but it is kind of spendy at $150+ for a 4 bay bowtie sans reflector and a single high VHF dipole. The nice thing about the 4max and this location is that it is bi-directional at the cost of gain, which it looks like I probably don't need.

The repack is removing 11 and adding 8 & 9 on high VHF. which may be an issue for the 4max and its reduced gain.

What are your thoughts? Any alternatives?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pending Digital Only Radar-Digital2.png
Views:	18
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2586592  
post #17634 of 17678 Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve347 View Post
I currently have an ancient Winegard 8200 on the roof and cheap (at the time) Chanel Master rotor. I have grown tired of having to twist the rotor for every different channel. It gets out of calibration easily and is balky in cold weather. I have been using a compromise fixed location but now that the repack is happening this is no longer working. Most of my desired stations are either ESE or WNW.

I was considering a Clearstream 4Max but it is kind of spendy at $150+ for a 4 bay bowtie sans reflector and a single high VHF dipole. The nice thing about the 4max and this location is that it is bi-directional at the cost of gain, which it looks like I probably don't need.

The repack is removing 11 and adding 8 & 9 on high VHF. which may be an issue for the 4max and its reduced gain.

So, what are your 'must have' stations? What are your 'would like to have' stations?
post #17635 of 17678 Old 07-02-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, TVFool isn't being updated with latest info, i.e. strong WRAZ (PBS on Ch40) and WRDC (MYN on Ch28) are flat out MIA...and the UHF Channel Assignments for 6 UHF Stations have changed.

After determining your approx Street Address (to 0.1-mi accuracy of your TVFool Report), I ran fol. Current TVStudy Report:
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...pe=dBm&height=

Currently, [non-rotating] Hi-VHF Dipole Antenna pointed towards middle of 99-125 deg (rel True North), "should" receive WTVD (ABC on Ch11) and WAUG (??? on Ch8).

And in the "near" future [must complete Re-Pack Phase 9 by 1May2010], WNCN (CBS on Ch17) will move to Ch8 (towards 123-deg), WTVD (ABC on Ch11) will move to Ch9 (also 123-deg). And in the "opposite" directions, WTNC (Univision on Ch19) will move to Ch11 (330-deg) and WIRP (??? on Ch22) will move to Ch11 (280-deg)....although for the last, a simple Dipole may or may NOT be inadequate, depending on Man Made Noise Level, trees/terrain and other factors....

FYI: Post Re-Pack assignment changes are very extensive, but fortunately they all stay in the New Ch14-36 UHF Band, except for WNCN, WTNC and WIRP mentioned above, see fol:
https://www.rabbitears.info/search.p...pe=dBm&height=

Note that fol. stations will either shut down or sign Channel sharing agreements with other stations: WRTD (IND on Ch49), WRAY (REL on Ch25), WLXI (IND on Ch25) and WRAL (TeST) on Ch39. Also note that WAUG (??? on Ch8) moves to Lo-VHF Ch4...so fergitabout it unless you keep HD8200 permanently pointed towards 99-deg (more or less).

With an outdoor C4Max, you "should" be able to receive all UHF Stations [towards Networks at about 123-deg] with "Signal Margin" greater than 20 dB....and perhaps down to at least 10 dB. And it would be worth trying it without the reflector if you want stations in "opposite" directions, bearing in mind that there are still NULLS to the sides.

You didn't say how many receiver drops you need, so we can discuss PreAmp/DistroAmp alternatives....acknowledging that you have Very Strong FM Stations, whose 2nd Harmonics can interfere with Hi-VHF Channels:

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-02-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #17636 of 17678 Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve347 View Post

The 4 max is not a 4 bay bowtie it is a 4 bay loop antenna.

The "ultimate antenna" Danny Hodges sells on Ebay
would be a excellent choice for your location.
Simply install it without the reflector and it should give excellent results for only $85 bucks.

Last edited by old tv guy; 07-02-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #17637 of 17678 Old 07-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
The only issue with that is FINDING a VHF only antenna now - I have one - bought a couple of years ago.
Newark electronics sells Stellar Labs Vhf 7-13 yagis.
mattdp and Primestar31 like this.
post #17638 of 17678 Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post
Looks eerily similar to the CM 4228 to me which can be had for half the price. Either would be an upgrade from the Stealth (not very good on UHF).
I can personally vouge for the 4228, a very good value. It has very similar gain specs (for what that's worth) to those claimed by the DB8.

Charles
Actually the 4228 is a superior design.
It doesn't suffer the added loss of coax jumpers,
an additional balun, and a combiner, it merely uses just one balun.
mattdp likes this.
post #17639 of 17678 Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
Winegard Elite 7550 appears to be a 4-Bay Dipole Antenna (similar to W-G HD-4400)...PLUS a pair of (apparently Unconnected) UHF Resonator Rods at Top and Bottom....PLUS a Hi-VHF Dipole (likely 0 dBd = 2.2 dBi, give or take some Combining Loss????):
http://www.winegard.com/help/images/c/cd/2452393.pdf
http://www.winegard.com/elite

"We're the NEW Winegard....we no longer NEED to provide any Stinking SPECS!!!!" However, Azimuthal Pattern Chart indicates either 8-10 dBi OR 8-10 dBd = 10.2-12.2 dBi in UHF Band....they didn't stipulate, but I suspect it's the latter, higher numbers.

Clearly someone chose to use a "Pretty"....but WAY TOO SMALL Reflector System....which explains why HD-4400 4-Bay Dipole with 4 Reflector Rods has significantly higher Gain = 12.7 to 15.1 dBi:
https://imageevent.com/holl_ands/mul...winegardhd4400

================================================== ============
HDB-4X is a REAL 4-Bay Bowtie Antenna from Solid Signal at 1/3 the cost:
https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Signal.../dp/B00CX6QBIO
Also CM4221HD at 1/3 the cost:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B000FVTPX2
Or A-D DB-4e Re-Optimized for current 470-698 MHz Band:
https://www.amazon.com/Element-Bowti.../dp/B0074H3IU6

Plus your CHOICE of a VHF Antenna, such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire.../dp/B00LHFRCMG [Universal VHF Dipole Kit incl VHF/UHF Combiner, $25 with Prime S/H]

Or, if you need more than a simple Dipole for Ch7-13, either of the fol. Hi-VHF Antennas:
https://www.amazon.com/30-2475-Fring.../dp/B014M0XXES
https://www.amazon.com/30-2476-Fring.../dp/B07R69QJ3Q
Where VHF/UHF Combiner is extra:
https://www.amazon.com/Masthead-Ante.../dp/B015ZSVDAW [DC PASS on UHF Port]
After trying a DB4E, 4221, and a Stellar Labs 4 bay bowtie, i went back to my Winegard 4400.
The John Winegard phased fat dipole design produced a wider beamwidth while still providing greater or equal gain on my desired channels.
If Winegard decided to bring a modern 14-36 version of the 4400 to market, they would dominate
the uhf antenna market.
mattdp likes this.
post #17640 of 17678 Old 07-02-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
Considering how much of a hassle it is to get a VHF signal in some places and that it's much easier for UHF, why don't TV stations just get off VHF and move over to UHF? Just Curious.
UHF signals are line of sight only and cover poorly in hilly and mountainous terrain so vhf signals will always be used in those areas.
VHF also travels much further and is not effected by trees nearly as much as UHF frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page