The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 599 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 306Likes

post #17941 of 17947 Old 11-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Your signals are quite strong. I consider mounting outside a last resort, and suggest you try different antenna locations inside with the antenna aimed at 65 degrees True. A strict interpretation of the NEC would require that an outdoor antenna be grounded, which would add a complication. The local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), who is usually the electrical inspector, has the final say. His interpretation becomes the law that is binding on you and the local electricians.

My signals are about the same strength, and I have satisfactory reception indoors, on the ground floor, without a preamp. Try the easy way first. If you find that satisfactory reception is not possible, even with an antenna with more gain (Winegard HD7694P is a step up) and a preamp in the attic, then you have a good case if the FCC has to make a final decision in the event of a dispute.

A preamp or a distribution amp can compensate for long coax runs or multiple TVs as SFischer1 stated above. What counts is how strong the signal is coming out of the antenna terminals which is determined by the antenna location and antenna gain. Try downstairs first. Then try an upper floor and finally the attic with a temporary run of coax. Don't drill any holes yet. Then you will know where the antenna needs to be located. A preamp shouldn't be necessary; a distribution amp might be needed if there are many splits. Either can be powered remotely through the coax with a power inserter.

Thanks. So you’d recommend one of the indoor solutions SFischer1 recommended as well for a starting point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17942 of 17947 Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Thanks. So you’d recommend one of the indoor solutions SFischer1 recommended as well for a starting point?
SFischer1 didn't recommend an indoor solution as a starting point; he recommended starting outside. I recommended starting inside; starting the easy way first gives you information and experience to go further if necessary to play the role of David (as in David vs Goliath).

Reference his quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Are you saying you are under the control of a HOA (Home Owners Association).

I am but as the FCC allows you one outdoor antenna I suggest you talk to your board of governors. They likely are aware of the law and have a method for you to have an outdoor antenna. Mine is in a good position and is attached to part of the building that I do not own.

https://www.avsforum.com/photopost/s...hp?cat=2165469

The attachment was made to the fascia so that no roof damage (Water leaks from my A/C will cost me $200,000.00) can happen.

The main concern will be the number of splitters, that can be overcome by an amp or a distribution amplifier, mine is a eight way.

SHF

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 11-25-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #17943 of 17947 Old 11-26-2019, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Start first with an indoor or attic antenna. Perhaps Clearstream 4V or 4MAX UHF loop antenna with VHF dipole. Add a Winegard LNA200 preamp at the antenna. If you have a long cable run or multiple splits, then perhaps a Channel Master distribution amp further down the line. The DC signals are strong and should be no issue. If you want to pull in Baltimore, it may require a separate higher gain antenna, such as Winegard 7694.

Also one other choice for compact flat panel UHF antenna with VHF dipole and indoor stand, consider Antop 800SBS specific model with built in preamp. Works very well. Best price may be HSN with NEW20 promo code, but also on Amazon. The Antop 800SBS is the better version, as the 400BV does not have a built in preamp but rather an inline amp instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17944 of 17947 Old 11-27-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Start first with an indoor...
I have a FM antenna pinned to the east west wall.

Depending on where I am in the room, the music is clear or distorted from a transmitter to the east. I listen only to one station. (KDFC)

-----------------------------------

Beware that any indoor antenna may be affected by items in the room including you.

Some stations may not be affected, but you can bet that the one you wish to receive will be.

Attic antennas may be problematic depending on the metal up there and the placement of the antenna.

I had a four bay bow tie antenna with an amp on a rotor.

Before the NTSC transmitters were turned off and the ATSC transmitters were much lower on Sutro tower, in the winter I could rotate the antenna 365 degrees and not get a acceptable signal from the station I wished the most. The best direction was 180 degrees away from the transmitter.

That and the VHF-Hi/Lo antenna still are in my attic, silenced by the new metal roof.

My outdoor antenna is preforming just fine for all the stations I wish to receive, well until the repack started.

My desktop antenna is now in a room that I seldom am in and is receiving the problematic station's translator just fine.

If you are not going to watch much TV and are willing to move the indoor antenna around to find a sweet spot then go with an indoor antenna.

SHF
rabbit73 likes this.
post #17945 of 17947 Old 11-28-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Three Different Indoor Antenna Locations for the Same Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Beware that any indoor antenna may be affected by items in the room including you.

Some stations may not be affected, but you can bet that the one you wish to receive will be.

If you are not going to watch much TV and are willing to move the indoor antenna around to find a sweet spot then go with an indoor antenna.

SHF
I agree; the location of an indoor antenna is critical.

If you look at my avatar to the left you will see a scan with my signal level meter for channel 13. I had put the antenna in the most convenient location, but I wasn't able to receive that channel because of indoor multipath reflections. This is what the TV Diagnostics Screen looked like; the picture is frozen, with many errors:

The best location was in the middle of the room in a high traffic area (of course it was), but I couldn't leave it there:

The second best was in the corner, where it is now.

Happy Thanksgiving to the AVS Forum members!
MSZ 007 likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 11-28-2019 at 12:43 PM.
post #17946 of 17947 Old 11-28-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I agree; the location of an indoor antenna is critical.

Happy Thanksgiving to the AVS Forum members!
I thought my Kodak DC260 camera (199x Purchase) was dead, but it just was discharged Ni-Mh batteries.

The antenna placement picture is not the most important picture.

The tuner is a Silicon Dust HDHR4-2US and it is connected to my router using the 110V AC Power Line.

In the room with my Ethernet Router there is a matching 110V AC Power Line adapter.

That was how I went from 3 Mbs DSL to 12 Mbs cable which was then upped to 25 Mbs then 65 Mbs and finally 75 Mbs with increases in cost of course.

The change from 25 Mbs to 65 Mbs broke the 110V AC Power Line adapter. The internet would just disappear for five minutes ever so often. Cable technician keep saying get rid of the 110V AC Power Line adapter. But the internet comes in front downstairs while my router is rear upstairs.

I finally got the TV cable that I installed ~ 46 years ago to carry the internet up to my router / HDTV room.

Bottom line, with an Ethernet network connected to your HTPC you can put a remote antenna anywhere there is 110 V AC.

SHF

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0004588.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	2646974   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0004589.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	2646976  
post #17947 of 17947 Old Today, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If anyone is still using or looking for the RCA UHF/VHF input antenna amplifier, I noticed in that thread the other day that there is a new RCA model with only one input. So I would assume if you need the older one, you might want to check now. Here is my posting as I purchased one around four months ago which is still the old model with a very similar product number:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...l#post58928248
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page