The Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic! - Page 610 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 414Likes

post #18271 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTekey View Post
the antenna is the exact one from Walmart and don't even get me started on Antenna I have one that cost $160 and is not worth a darn, but this one here from Walmart that I got at Kmart is the only one that works in my house unless I put up an outdoor Antenna and do a major install. Other wise this little antenna works in my Kitchen window (the only place stuck on my window in there).
I'm not sure which ClearTV antenna you have. Is it like No. 1 or No. 2?

Quote:
But on those maps the stations in the North are missing 3 of them are not showing up on the map, that has to be why I am out of reception. Those are out that little window. All those other station in the South of me are the other end of my home from my TV setup.

I don't see any channels from the north. You will have to put the right antenna in a south window or the attic to get the channels you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear TV Antenna1_1.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	2700936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear TV Antenna2_1.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2700938   Click image for larger version

Name:	LilTekeyAVSmap.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2700940   Click image for larger version

Name:	LilTekeyAVSreportRE2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	2700942  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-23-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18272 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
They needed a repack anyways. Too many open spots. Cellular is just as if not more important than OTA TV now a days in my opinion. I also think it forced the broadcast industry to update the equipment being used on the towers which is a good thing.

Cell towers have back up batteries, generators and are greatly utilized during natural disasters in 2 way communication not just broadcast which Cellular can do also.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Sometimes that's correct. On the other hand before Allison even made landfall sprint shut down all their cell towers accross the city to save the equipment. During Katrina cellphone coverage was non-existent, some shut down before landfall, some were wiped out. When the temporary cell towers went up, I often couldn't make a call even though I was just below the top of the priority list. During the Yarnell wildfires cellphone coverage was poor to non-existent. The larger the emergency, the less likely cell phone will work for you.
rabbit73 likes this.

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
post #18273 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5618 Post(s)
Liked: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchase View Post
Sometimes that's correct. On the other hand before Allison even made landfall sprint shut down all their cell towers accross the city to save the equipment. During Katrina cellphone coverage was non-existent, some shut down before landfall, some were wiped out. When the temporary cell towers went up, I often couldn't make a call even though I was just below the top of the priority list. During the Yarnell wildfires cellphone coverage was poor to non-existent. The larger the emergency, the less likely cell phone will work for you.
The TV towers are dealing with the same effects that cell towers are. Sometimes they co-exist on the same tower. You can have a tower go down and still have coverage to many areas..... Whereas one down TV tower can affect 7+ thousand square miles.
The carriers deploy mobile towers as well. There is many situations that could play out. Either way, I would rather have a cell tower online than a TV tower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18274 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
The TV towers are dealing with the same effects that cell towers are. Sometimes they co-exist on the same tower. You can have a tower go down and still have coverage to many areas..... Whereas one down TV tower can affect 7+ thousand square miles.
The carriers deploy mobile towers as well. There is many situations that could play out. Either way, I would rather have a cell tower online than a TV tower.

If there was an emergency where critical information needed to be distributed, radio and OTA tv would be two methods which would be utilized for that purpose and since those are free as well, there is no discrimination as to access. Cell phones are important for emergencies but not everyone has a smartphone so they may not get important updates. Also, 911 is not accurate with cell phones so landlines whether POTS or VOIP are still more accurate in an emergency if you are at home. So we need them all but I would not say that cell towers are more important than tv ones.
post #18275 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
If there was an emergency where critical information needed to be distributed, radio and OTA tv would be two methods which would be utilized for that purpose and since those are free as well, there is no discrimination as to access. Cell phones are important for emergencies but not everyone has a smartphone so they may not get important updates. Also, 911 is not accurate with cell phones so landlines whether POTS or VOIP are still more accurate in an emergency if you are at home. So we need them all but I would not say that cell towers are more important than tv ones.
And you can think that. My opinion they are.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #18276 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I'm not sure which ClearTV antenna you have. Is it like No. 1 or No. 2?

I don't see any channels from the north. You will have to put the right antenna in a south window or the attic to get the channels you want.
Those ClearTV antennas are known to be poor performers. Maybe the OP got lucky using it in the window. I would like to know the antenna that cost $160.00 that didn't work.
post #18277 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And you can think that. My opinion they are.

Fair enough. But there are a lot of metro areas that are having issues due to the repack. Maybe where you live that is not the case. So far in the Cleveland area, reception has not been affected negatively and in many cases improved due to increased coverage.
post #18278 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fair enough. But there are a lot of metro areas that are having issues due to the repack. Maybe where you live that is not the case. So far in the Cleveland area, reception has not been affected negatively and in many cases improved due to increased coverage.
The repack has been good for me. Multiple antennas have moved locations so they are closer is distance and narrower in spread for me.

post #18279 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The repack has been good for me. Multiple antennas have moved locations so they are closer is distance and narrower in spread for me.

Most towers here have not changed but some frequencies did. One station out of Sandusky which is somewhat west of Cleveland is ending up on RF3 from RF 42 not that I could get it before anyway.
post #18280 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most towers here have not changed but some frequencies did. One station out of Sandusky which is somewhat west of Cleveland is ending up on RF3 from RF 42 not that I could get it before anyway.
Yea we had many change in RF channels as well, all in UHF though. Again, the new co-locations helped as well.

post #18281 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Just noticed a large drum (like a musical drum but on its side) looking object mounted on the side of the cell tower that's about a mile from me.
Some trees had just been cleared from the view from the road so it may had been there but I'm really leaning on it was recently added. This drum object is just off pointed towards my home.

Any ideas of this object?

Nvida Shield-purchased Dec2018
My normal tv channels 2s,7s,9s,12s,14s,19s,25s,38s, Often 5s,50s,51,(22?)
Rare 3s,4s,10s,11s,13s,17s,21s,26s,28s,30s,35s,36s,49s
Outside yaga style antenna. 28-30ft off the ground. Pointed west. Preamp RCA-TVRAMP1Z/No balun, 60ft R6 cable
post #18282 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Those ClearTV antennas are known to be poor performers. Maybe the OP got lucky using it in the window. I would like to know the antenna that cost $160.00 that didn't work.
it is the second one the square flat one and nothing has worked in my location except that one trust me I have been through it. As far as I am concerned that antenna is God! Lol Sorry but it is true I have tried several I am under cable wires and cable connector boxes and electrical boxes right out my front door maybe 30 feet from me. so there has to be interference. If I use one of those little signal finders with an antenna on it goes off the chart when I point it over there. So the field of electricity is really high. And when I connected the $160 antenna by that little window it could not get reception there either, but it could at the south end of the house but that is a major install and it has to be outside because that antenna is a big block and to big to be in the house with the probes etc. It will get knocked over and broken or will break a window. but that Clear Tv antenna fits stuck to the glass in my little kitchen window and with the pandemic all of a sudden all the major stations went dark or of the grid as far as reception goes. Right now. Right now I am not getting any reception. I just scanned my Vizio and nothing no channels. I keep adjusting the cable line and I may get 1 or two but every time I try and adjust it to see if the channels are back on I lose the two that I have been able to get. That why technology is for the rich and famous IF YOUR POOR YOUR OUT!
post #18283 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyNC View Post
Just noticed a large drum (like a musical drum but on its side) looking object mounted on the side of the cell tower that's about a mile from me.
Some trees had just been cleared from the view from the road so it may had been there but I'm really leaning on it was recently added. This drum object is just off pointed towards my home.

those are common and used a lot here on top of the buildings downtown like at hospitals or big company buildings. But definitely the hospitals have them on top of the buildings.
DeweyNC likes this.
post #18284 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyNC View Post
Just noticed a large drum

Microwave antenna?
DeweyNC likes this.

N5GGG
post #18285 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
it is the second one the square flat one and nothing has worked in my location except that one trust me I have been through it. As far as I am concerned that antenna is God! Lol Sorry but it is true I have tried several I am under cable wires and cable connector boxes and electrical boxes right out my front door maybe 30 feet from me. so there has to be interference. If I use one of those little signal finders with an antenna on it goes off the chart when I point it over there. So the field of electricity is really high. And when I connected the $160 antenna by that little window it could not get reception there either, but it could at the south end of the house but that is a major install and it has to be outside because that antenna is a big block and to big to be in the house with the probes etc. It will get knocked over and broken or will break a window. but that Clear Tv antenna fits stuck to the glass in my little kitchen window and with the pandemic all of a sudden all the major stations went dark or of the grid as far as reception goes. Right now. Right now I am not getting any reception. I just scanned my Vizio and nothing no channels. I keep adjusting the cable line and I may get 1 or two but every time I try and adjust it to see if the channels are back on I lose the two that I have been able to get. That why technology is for the rich and famous IF YOUR POOR YOUR OUT!
If it worked before, it might work again. Those flat antennas are similar to the Mohu ones which do work if your signals are strong enough but in general, they are not great performers unless you are pretty close to the towers. I would try moving the actual antenna on the window an inch or two and then rescan. In my location, there was one station which would only work in a very specific spot and it took some time to find it. Maybe something is blocking your signals now. As for the outside cables, unless you have a lot of VHF channels, those should not be an issue. UHF ones operate at a much higher frequency and are not affected as much. If you look at the report Rabbit generated, there are five stations in yellow that are VHF so those might be affected. The flat antennas are usually not VHF antennas although they will pick up those stations if you're close enough.

By the way, some newer windows have coatings that can block tv signals so try moving it near the window but not on it if that is the case. Experimentation can be frustrating but you just might find a better spot.
LilTekey likes this.
post #18286 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it is the second one the square flat one and nothing has worked in my location except that one trust me I have been through it. As far as I am concerned that antenna is God!..... but it could at the south end of the house..... but that Clear Tv antenna fits stuck to the glass Right now I am not getting any reception. I just scanned my Vizio and nothing no channels.!
Can you put the Vizio TV and the antenna at the south end of the house?

The reason why the big antenna didn't work at the north end of the house is probably because big antennas have more gain but are are more directional, like a searchlight or spotlight. They must be aimed at the transmitter. What big antenna did you try?

You must put the antenna where the signals are; the signals are not always going to come to where you want the antenna.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-23-2020 at 04:12 PM.
post #18287 of 18323 Old 03-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
those are common and used a lot here on top of the buildings downtown like at hospitals or big company buildings. But definitely the hospitals have them on top of the buildings.
Andrews high gain microwave antennas look like a drum. They connect a cell site back to a hub or central site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Andrew Antenna.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2701098  
shoman94 and DeweyNC like this.

We are experiencing some Technical Difficulties.
Please standby while we reboot our TV station...
post #18288 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
They would never work where i live 40+ miles from most towers southeast of the Tampa area.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #18289 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchase View Post
Andrews high gain microwave antennas look like a drum. They connect a cell site back to a hub or central site.
yes those are them although The ones here are twice the width of those pictured.
post #18290 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Angry

Still, no reception it's causing a pandemic!
post #18291 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the 17% off at Newark (MCM) I purchased...

Stellar Labs 30-2475

Stellar Labs 30-2476

The 2476 arrived with the box ripped open, several elements bent, one broken and half an element missing.

After pestering Newark customer service on the phone, they agreed to refund the 2476.

I generally like the bolt together construction though I may replace all the wingnuts with locknuts and washers. I wish other companies did not use the "snap together" construction as it makes it really hard to get the antenna back into the box for storage if it doesn't work out.

Anyway, I was able to "borrow" some parts that were close in size from the 2475 to get a workable 2476. I'm tempted to order another 2476 so I can restore the 2475 and store it in case I need it.
post #18292 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype3a View Post
With the 17% off at Newark (MCM) I purchased...

Stellar Labs 30-2475

Stellar Labs 30-2476

The 2476 arrived with the box ripped open, several elements bent, one broken and half an element missing.

After pestering Newark customer service on the phone, they agreed to refund the 2476.

I generally like the bolt together construction though I may replace all the wingnuts with locknuts and washers. I wish other companies did not use the "snap together" construction as it makes it really hard to get the antenna back into the box for storage if it doesn't work out.

Anyway, I was able to "borrow" some parts that were close in size from the 2475 to get a workable 2476. I'm tempted to order another 2476 so I can restore the 2475 and store it in case I need it.
I was thinking of ordering an antenna from them a few weeks ago but the way their system works, you can't see the shipping charges unless you enter your credit card information as opposed to before that point. So I was wondering what did they charge you for shipping? I even called them and they couldn't give me an exact cost. It's amazing that most retailers can give you that information and they cannot.
post #18293 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I've received many antennas that were damaged in shipping. Antennas need to be double-boxed, but most suppliers aren't willing to do that.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #18294 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I was thinking of ordering an antenna from them a few weeks ago but the way their system works, you can't see the shipping charges unless you enter your credit card information as opposed to before that point. So I was wondering what did they charge you for shipping? I even called them and they couldn't give me an exact cost. It's amazing that most retailers can give you that information and they cannot.
I thought the shipping was fairly reasonable. I think it was about $10 for two antennas and a smaller box of electronics parts.

BTW, when I said the box was ripped open, I mean that I didn't actually have to do anything to remove the antenna from the box. About 1ft worth of the box was just kind of hanging there.

Last edited by Prototype3a; 03-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.
post #18295 of 18323 Old 03-24-2020, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought the shipping was fairly reasonable. I think it was about $10 for two antennas and a smaller box of electronics parts.

BTW, when I said the box was ripped open, I mean that I didn't actually have to do anything to remove the antenna from the box. About 1ft worth of the box was just kind of hanging there.
Thanks for that information. I have also read about others receiving damaged boxes so that is definitely an issue. Like Rabbit said, they should double box the shipment.
post #18296 of 18323 Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
If it worked before, it might work again. Those flat antennas are similar to the Mohu ones which do work if your signals are strong enough but in general, they are not great performers unless you are pretty close to the towers. I would try moving the actual antenna on the window an inch or two and then rescan. In my location, there was one station which would only work in a very specific spot and it took some time to find it. Maybe something is blocking your signals now. As for the outside cables, unless you have a lot of VHF channels, those should not be an issue. UHF ones operate at a much higher frequency and are not affected as much. If you look at the report Rabbit generated, there are five stations in yellow that are VHF so those might be affected. The flat antennas are usually not VHF antennas although they will pick up those stations if you're close enough.

By the way, some newer windows have coatings that can block tv signals so try moving it near the window but not on it if that is the case. Experimentation can be frustrating but you just might find a better spot.
Well I disconnected the Magnavox DVR and modulator and the Clear Antenna from the back of the TV.
I installed another boxed antenna similar to the Clear TV call One something to the TV only, and scanned that and got 97 channels. Unbelievable, I am just glad to have reception; and I don't want to work on finding out (which one)of the modulator, or the DVR, or the clear antenna has decided not to work. At least I know the TV Tuner and the spare antenna works that didn't work the last time I tried using it when I had reception problems like this before. So for now I am not using the DVR to record anything and just watching my shows live until I recover from the stress of not having reception for 5 days.
post #18297 of 18323 Old 03-25-2020, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I installed another boxed antenna similar to the Clear TV call One something to the TV only, and scanned that and got 97 channels. Unbelievable, I am just glad to have reception; and I don't want to work on finding out (which one)of the modulator, or the DVR, or the clear antenna has decided not to work. At least I know the TV Tuner and the spare antenna works.....
Good job, LilTekey!

Please tell us the name of the antenna that worked. If you still have the box, maybe it's on it. Otherwise, maybe a link to the antenna.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-25-2020 at 05:45 PM.
post #18298 of 18323 Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I disconnected the Magnavox DVR and modulator and the Clear Antenna from the back of the TV.
I installed another boxed antenna similar to the Clear TV call One something to the TV only, and scanned that and got 97 channels. Unbelievable, I am just glad to have reception; and I don't want to work on finding out (which one)of the modulator, or the DVR, or the clear antenna has decided not to work. At least I know the TV Tuner and the spare antenna works that didn't work the last time I tried using it when I had reception problems like this before. So for now I am not using the DVR to record anything and just watching my shows live until I recover from the stress of not having reception for 5 days.
Good to hear. As I mentioned before, I don't think you need a modulator if it's what I think it is. Do you know what that part is for in your setup? If it is running through the RF inputs/outputs, that could be your problem if is is not working. You can just connect the DVR directly into one of the HDMI inputs which will give you the best quality picture.
post #18299 of 18323 Old 03-27-2020, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Thank you for the report from Maine. Keep working on it.

When I was a kid, my parents took me to Orr's Island where I learned to love blueberry pie.

After I was married, I took my wife to Bar Harbor and then to Montreal for the Expo '67 World's Fair.

Not much activity on this forum. Understandably, people are concerned about other problems now.
Yea I'm in Southern Maine about 15 min south of Portland but I grew up in the northern tip of Maine. Blueberries are big here.

Before moving to the southwest Michigan and South Bend IN area almost 20 years ago, I lived my entire life in Maine, in or near Augusta, the state capitol.
shoman94 likes this.
post #18300 of 18323 Old 03-27-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LTE Pulse Pixelation

Tyler The Antenna Man has posted a video about testing the Channel Master CM-3201 LTE Filter. In the video, he shows an example of LTE interference which he calls LTE Pulse Pixelation; 1:43 to 1:49 and 2:17 to 2:23 in the video.

Here are two frame captures of the LTE Pulse Pixelation:

The pixelation is very brief, not like the usual pixelation we are used to seeing that he shows 2:59 to 3:06.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LTE Pulse Pixelation-snip6_1.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	2702562   Click image for larger version

Name:	LTE Pulse Pixelation-snip7_1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2702564  
shoman94 likes this.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 03-27-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Tags
Channel Master Cm 4228 8 Bay Hdtv Uhf Antenna Cm4228hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page