New HD-300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a replacement HD -300 from Sony after a 6week wait. After 3 days I have had no audio dropouts,no re-booting and no pixellation !! Everything else works fine and hope it continues-I will report here if the magic gets broken.:) :) :)

exlimey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What about the channel guide, once set will it stay that way?
Firmware revision number is?
-Jerry
post #3 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Jerry,
Version # is 1.10.00 . I don't use 'favorite channels' if that is what you are interested in. From memory,is the problem that this guide,or others,disappear when HD is re-booted ? I can do an experiment if you let me know what the 'current' problem is. I can also try looking at the mother board if that has data you might want.

exlimey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Firmware version is 1.10! Awsome! Heye, looks like the rest of us 1.06 firmware guys can look forward to an update soon maybe...

-Evangelo2
post #5 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Evangelo2
Firmware version is 1.10! Awsome! Heye, looks like the rest of us 1.06 firmware guys can look forward to an update soon maybe...

-Evangelo2
I was thinking the same thing! How long is appropriate to wait before we start bitching to D*?

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet?":D

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."
post #6 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by panoral
Jerry,
Version # is 1.10.00 . I don't use 'favorite channels' if that is what you are interested in. From memory,is the problem that this guide,or others,disappear when HD is re-booted ? I can do an experiment if you let me know what the 'current' problem is. I can also try looking at the mother board if that has data you might want.
Yes please share the number on the motherboard that you can read from the top vent holes.
This is good news, I purchased two of these just two weeks ago and I think maybe if the board is an updated board its time for me to give Sony a call back for replacement.
-Jerry
post #7 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Jerry,
Here are the data on the mother board-hope it makes sense !
PF-LP
P/N 6870R 4521HC
2003.08.19 (MP)
LSS-3200A
LSS-3210S

exlimey
post #8 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by panoral
Jerry,
Here are the data on the mother board-hope it makes sense !
PF-LP
P/N 6870R 4521HC
2003.08.19 (MP)
LSS-3200A
LSS-3210S
Yes this makes sense; you have the latest board revision #3 just as I do.
So this is a good sign to the users that these issues can be resolved via software.
Enlighten me about that 1.10.00 firmware, did you acquire this firmware from any other sources or was it pre-loaded from Sony on the replacement?
I just did get off the phone with a Sony representative that was very helpful and cordial.
She "name withheld intentionally" plans to fax myself a copy of an email as to the problems that we are experiencing.
This email was from DirectTV and does place a time-line on software updates to address the AGP guide issues and the audio drop issues.
If my memory serves me correct, one update will come by the end of this month of April and the other update at this time is scheduled for release in June 2004.
If and when I receive this fax, the content language will be shared with the forum, I asked for prior approval for a public posting.
I did also invite Sony to release a news update here at AVS or maybe even on their own web site to help keep their customers updated to known issues.
At this time I would like to personally thank this Sony representative for her time, and
I shall also make the AVS community aware that she spends a great deal of time within
the AVS forum. She is even following this thread ;)
Thank you.
-Jerry
post #9 of 115 Old 04-08-2004, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Jerry,
The firmware was pre-loaded on the unit. Sounds like you got a Sony rep worth cultivating.

exlimey
post #10 of 115 Old 04-12-2004, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This all seems like good news. Lets just hope that the guide will default to custom as opposed to all.

Keep us updated.

Thanks.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #11 of 115 Old 04-12-2004, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not yet received the fax, although I did receive an email back
showing that Sony now has publicly recognized the problems with
the HD300
Here IQ Knowledge Base Article - 350696
Symptom:
Intermittent audio loss when viewing television programs through the satellite receiver.
Resolution:
This information applies to high definition satellite receivers experiencing intermittent audio loss on all channels which are not caused by weak or fluctuating signal strength.
IMPORTANT: Sony is aware of an intermittent audio loss when viewing channels through the high definition satellite receiver and is working with DirecTV to resolve this issue. This issue will be resolved through the DirecTV satellite signal in the near future.

The guide issue will also most likely be address in a IQ Knowledge Base Article.
-Jerry
post #12 of 115 Old 04-12-2004, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the beginning I really didn't notice any audio drop outs.

So far I only needed to reset the box once in a 5 week period. I also noticed that I thought the sound dropped out on CBS HD but it was coming in on other HD channels. Is this a problem with the CBS broadcast dropping or the box dropping the audio? Thanks guys.

-Evangelo2
post #13 of 115 Old 04-12-2004, 06:19 PM

hey, i want my 1.10

i am getting tired of the guide and the pixelization junk.
post #14 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Evangelo2
... I also noticed that I thought the sound dropped out on CBS HD but it was coming in on other HD channels. Is this a problem with the CBS broadcast dropping or the box dropping the audio?
I've periodically had problems with the audio on CBS DT - and not just with the LG-made boxes. Last Friday night, about 1/3 through Joan of Arcadia, the audio (analog output) went distorto. It stayed that way for about 20 minutes and then returned to normal for rest of the evening. This HAD to be CBS or DirecTV (I'm betting more on CBS.). Audio on all other channels I checked was perfectly normal through this period. I've got the "other" LG HD box prone to audio dropouts (Hughes HTL-HD). In the three weeks I've had it, no audio dropouts at all. Firmware revision 1.07.

Nachos 'n Suds - Breakfast of Champions!
post #15 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 01:30 PM

I have the hd300 with the original board. I have only occassional audio dropouts for only a split second, but have had some pixelation and even a couple of screen freezes. Is the new firmware expected to cure all of these ills with the older boards as well, or only the newer ones ending in C? Thanks!
post #16 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 07:14 PM

Oh! OHHH! This is such good news. I can't wait. I've been calling DIrecTV and frustrating myself with the lack of support - or even acknowledgement of the problems - for months now. 1.10 on your new unit with the same board revision as us 1.06 people is a nice surprise, and a very good sign.

If anyone hears any updated news on when Direc"Who Me?" is going to release the updates, please let us know!

Thanks,
Norm
post #17 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do not notice the audio drop-outs or pixelation that much but the APG always reading "Regular Schedule" for all my OTA channels is getting old. My Sony HD200, which is connected to my game room HD set downstairs, has the correct OTA information in the guide so it could not be that difficult to fix in the HD300.

Also, I agree that defaulting to "all" instead of "custom" in the guide pretty much renders the favorites-hide/show feature useless. It actually should "remember" what your preferred setting is and always come up that way like the HD200 does.

Finally, something else that doesn't get much press, but that is also very frustrating about this unit (and that the HD200 does not do) is that it resets the display format mode if powered off to 480i/p. I like to keep mine set at 1080i and the only way to ensure it stays there instead of going back to 480p is to not power it down at night. My HD200 keeps my preferred format mode even if powered off.

If the Sony lady is following this thread, please fix the program guide!!!
post #18 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hornmdt
I do not notice the audio drop-outs or pixelation that much but the APG always reading "Regular Schedule" for all my OTA channels is getting old. My Sony HD200, which is connected to my game room HD set downstairs, has the correct OTA information in the guide so it could not be that difficult to fix in the HD300.
If the Sony lady is following this thread, please fix the program guide!!!
My understanding is that this is not a problem with the unit but how you set it up when you first got it. There are numerous posts on here about this but if I can remember correctly if you did not say that you had an antenna or did not give your zipcode information during setup then it will always show "regular schedule". This can also happen if you chose to add the channels manually. Again, I don't have all the particulars but there are other discussions about his here on AVS.
post #19 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 09:54 PM

Thank you. Just done the initial setup for myself and I do indeed get guide data for my locals. Should not have put all my faith in Tweeter I don't guess. I bought my HD200 off Ebay and did the setup myself and hence have always had a good program guide with OTA locals. I lpurchased and let Tweeter install this one and never have had a OTA program guide until now.

For some reason I still have duplicates (i.e. 3.1, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2, 3.3, 9.1, 9.2...).
Doesn't do it for all but does for most.
post #20 of 115 Old 04-13-2004, 10:47 PM

Hmm, again I cannot recall exactly what the steps are but you *may* need to remove you locals first by running the setup with a bogus zip (i.e. 00000). Then when all the locals have been removed, run the setup again with your real zipcode.

On the other hand it may be the PSIP information from your local OTA stations causing this duplication.

I'll see if I can find the thread with info related to this band post back later.

EDIT: I found it. I guess its takes a few steps but the key seems to be removing the OTA connection first to remove the channels, run setup with bogus zip, and then hook everything backup and run it again.

Take a look here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...39#post2785639
post #21 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 09:22 AM
R11
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I haven't been following the HD300 threads for some time now since my 300 has been basically flawless since I bought it back in Nov. Of course the APG default to "All" is ridiculous and needs to be addressed, but the other thing that bothers me to no end and is related is the continual inclusion of "new" channels into my custom list :mad:. Is this something that is hopefully being looked at as well? It doesn't do much good to set up a custom list where you have deleted all the channels you have absolutely no interest in, only to have GOBS of additional new/totally unwanted channels keep appearing in it. If I see one more shopping channel I think I may have to cause someone bodily harm... Sony Lady, if you are reading this, PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS IS ADDRESSED AS IT IS A MAJOR SOURCE OF FRUSTRATION AND WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE ME RECOMMEND AGAINST ALL SONY PRODUCTS TO ALL FRIENDS, FAMILY MEMBERS AND CASUAL ACQUAINTANCES UNTIL IT'S RESOLVED!!!. Thank you :D.

ron
post #22 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ron,
Yes we also spoke about this problem.
She Had me go into the service menu to reset the AGP
This only help the problem for a day or two and those unwanted channels did reappear.
This is part of the June fix if I remember correct.
btw: still no fax received.
-Jerry
post #23 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 09:48 AM
R11
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
This is part of the June fix if I remember correct.
That would be outstanding. The cynic in me has often wondered if D* just "reinitiates" the shopping channels every day or so just to make them reappear in the guide. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed then!

ron
post #24 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 10:01 AM

It had been rumored a couple months back that D* passed on the V1.10 firmware and is now testing V1.11. If thats the case, I'm thinking that D* might never send the V1.10 upgrade over the air and might wait until they are good and ready to send the V1.11 or later.

A contact I had (no longer there) in the D* product testing department previously told me that D* has strict guidelines about sending firmware upgrades out over the network (via satellite). They push the vendor to fix all issues before they send out the upgrade, as opposed to fixing them one at a time. Obviously this does not happen all the time and in some cases where the box has serious issues, D* is forced to react more quickly.

Obviously those of us dealing with the audio drop issue (90%+) would consdier the poblem to be serious enough that D* needs to react NOW. Unfortunately, their lack of a reaction up to this point clearly indicates they don't see the audio problem the same way us users do.

When will we see our upgrade? Don't hold your breath!
post #25 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sonofjay
Hmm, again I cannot recall exactly what the steps are but you *may* need to remove you locals first by running the setup with a bogus zip (i.e. 00000). Then when all the locals have been removed, run the setup again with your real zipcode.

On the other hand it may be the PSIP information from your local OTA stations causing this duplication.

I'll see if I can find the thread with info related to this band post back later.

EDIT: I found it. I guess its takes a few steps but the key seems to be removing the OTA connection first to remove the channels, run setup with bogus zip, and then hook everything backup and run it again.

Take a look here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...39#post2785639
Ok, I did what you suggested and yes, all I end up with is my OTA Digitals with no duplicates in the Program Guide. However, I'm back to having "Regular Schedule" in the program guide for these channels. If I then go add the zip code via the Initial setup process, I end right back where I started - OTA analog locals with duplicate digitals, but the Program Guide info is there.

Is there no way to get the Program Guide Info for just my OTA digitals without getting the analogs and duplicate digitals?
post #26 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 07:51 PM

That is strange.

Following step #5 from the link included in my post should have keep the analog OTA channels from showing up.

But, as to why you are seeing duplicate digital channels, I don't know. When you ran the steps to eliminate all the OTAs where you able to confirm that no local digital or analog OTA were showing up in your guide before you added then back in again?

It is normal to have two channels if one is OTA analog and one a DirecTv local but I have never seen duplicate digital subchannels show up. In other words channel 6 could be on your guide twice but you shouldn't see two 6.1's
post #27 of 115 Old 04-14-2004, 08:42 PM

I did verify that I had no OTA info in the guide before adding them back. Also, after step 5 I did not have any OTA analog or duplicate digitals in the guide. However, I also did not have any program information for the OTA digital channels. I was back to "Regular Schedule" in the guide, which was my original problem.

Then in an attempt to get guide info I then did the initial setup thing after step 5. I entered my zip with the OTA coax connected and I got the guide data, but also I'm back to having some channels I dont receive, local analogs and duplicate local digitals (3.1, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2, 9.1, 9.1.... etc).

So it seems if I want program guide data for my OTA digitals I'll have to live with having the OTA analogs and duplicate digitals in the guide.

I thought about going straight to Initial setup instead of doing step 5. I might not get the duplicate digitals that way but I will get the analogs as well as some channels I don't receive.

Any ideas?
post #28 of 115 Old 04-15-2004, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

After a week of using the new HD 300 1.10.0 version,still no problems !!! Regarding EPG with locals,I just followed the installation instructions on page 71 with only my local Zip code and everything fell into place with no duplicates or disappearing acts. Maybe the new firmware has fixed EPG problems also ! Haven't tried custom guides yet.

exlimey
post #29 of 115 Old 04-15-2004, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hornmdt
So it seems if I want program guide data for my OTA digitals I'll have to live with having the OTA analogs and duplicate digitals in the guide.
Any ideas?
I have only OTA digitals and my DirecTV channels, I did have duplicates
and I removed them, I also had some ota analog channels that I set it not to show.
Maybe you should try to flush the AGP via service menu and start over.
On the front of the Sony press both right & left arrows and press the info button, hold for about 5 seconds, release and the menu should come up.
You will see the AGP option near the bottom.
I did not need to do this to rid any unwanted analog's, So I'm not sure what it is with your setup but maybe this will help you with a fresh start.
-Jerry
post #30 of 115 Old 04-15-2004, 07:36 AM

I have duplicate digitals of the WB. One at the 69.1 and one at 75.1. I use the silver sensor indoors and am in a high location. The antenna seems to be quite sensitive and picks up a signal from all the stations (analog and digital). There is no way to tell this box to only place the digitals in guide when scanning that I can see. This is what the custom guide setup (hidden chanels) is for.

If the new firmware makes it so the custom guide setting sticks then this will be a good solution. Otherwise you will always have to do the two menu selections.

Also, when the box reboots from a lockup the some hidden channels come back to view and you will have to hide them again. Maybe the firmware fixes that also ?!?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page