LG 3200A / Sony HD-300 / Hughes HTL-HD - 2.0 Upgrade - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 843 Old 01-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by rkhobbit

2. Does any or all 3 units simultaneously output SD signal out composite or S-Video outputs?

If Yes.. Does it do this even though I'm watching an HD SAT channel such as HBOHD or DiscoveryHD? Does it downconvert the HD SAT signal to SD for simultaneous output via S-video or composite?

Partial answer:

the HD300 (if you are using component out, NOT DVI) can output SD to both the S-video and Composite. Yes, even when watching HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 843 Old 01-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a quick question about the remote that comes with the Hughes HTL-HD, specifically the 'Input' button (which I know is used to change from Video 1 to Video 2 to Video 3 and so on). Is there any way I can program it so that I don't have to hit the "TV" button at the top of the remote first. Because right now, if I hit the "SAT" up top and then try the 'Input' button, nothing happens. What I want is to hit the "SAT" button, and have the "Input" button work and not have to back to the top of the remote again. Any ideas?
post #753 of 843 Old 01-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Does anyone know how to get the channel banner to come up when you change the channel? I am having to push "info" to see what im watching. Only the channel Logo shows when i change channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 843 Old 01-29-2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kicker147
Does anyone know how to get the channel banner to come up when you change the channel? I am having to push "info" to see what im watching. Only the channel Logo shows when i change channels.

In the setup menu go to:

PREFERENCE->ADVANCED->BANNER STYLE and change it from "Small" to either "Medium" or "Large"
post #755 of 843 Old 02-03-2005, 04:43 PM

If I connect a new htl-hd will it update automatically to 2.0?
post #756 of 843 Old 02-03-2005, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by abarsami
If I connect a new htl-hd will it update automatically to 2.0?

It might take a day but yes it will upgrade to 2.0.

I'm on a Vegas Permanent Vacation!
post #757 of 843 Old 02-05-2005, 03:43 AM

I have been having OTA problems with the HD300 for the past several months. I always blamed the local stations for the problem . Live 40 miles from the ant. Last night I swapped outthe HD 300 and replacedit with an HD 200 unit.. All the OTA problems were resolved. Some stations that I only got the 4.1 now has 4.2 4.3 etc. All signal strengths were very high. On the HD 300 were in the BAD range. Did more testing and swaping and discovered that the HD 300 is the problem. It appears that the HD 300 has a problem with the OTA tuners. I have looled over this thread for the last year, and many people reported the same problems. We have another 300 installed in another city ( son's house ) and similar problems show up. All the HD 300's are the C version.

We wil call D tv and Sony on this one. The units are covered by D tv repair plans. We will see what they replace them with..
post #758 of 843 Old 02-05-2005, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally posted by SBCMike
I have been having OTA problems with the HD300 for the past several months....It appears that the HD 300 has a problem with the OTA tuners...... All the HD 300's are the C version.

We will see what they replace them with..

What's the "C" version? The replacement they sent me recently for the LG LSS 3200a was the RCA DTC 210.
post #759 of 843 Old 02-06-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Guys! I am planning to connect LG LSS-3200A to my dish. How do I check the current firmware version? If it is not current then would it update itself automatically or do I need to call D*? Thanks.

Vinod
post #760 of 843 Old 02-06-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Vinod -

I have the Sony DD-300 which is made by LG and is basically the same model.

To check to see the current firmware:

Menu
System
System Info
System Upgrade

This will show you the Current Version of the firmware.
The latest version, which was made available Sept. 2004,
is Version 2.01.00.

Someone else will have to help you about whether Direct continues to send the update, and if you have to call Direct. If you have to call Direct, just be aware that too many of the Customer Reps may very well not have any idea what you're talking about - don't give up. You have one of the best STBs currenly available. Enjoy!!!

Gary
post #761 of 843 Old 02-06-2005, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks Gary. Appreciate your help.

Vinod
post #762 of 843 Old 01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anybody know if DirecTV is still sending the updates for the HD300? I had one idle while my addition was being built and now I have old firmware that says its updating every couple minutes. Very annoying! I just turned it on today with DirecTV and hopefully will see an update soon. Is there a way to force an update?

Thanks,

Ron
post #763 of 843 Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 PM

Ronomy:

You probably saw my post in the other thread, but for the benefit of the others......

DirecTV apparently is no longer updating receivers via software updates in the data stream. They much prefer to support a single unit (H20) and let everybody think that the older units MUST be replaced, regardless how much you paid for them and prefer them to the H20. After a very long discussion with a level 3 CSR (we've all been there......) I gave up and decided to go another route.

I have two brand new Sony HD300's - never updated, never activated. I sent one off to Sony Service in Pennsylvania and got it back in a week all updated. $84 including return shipping. The other is being shipped out tomorrow.

Start here: http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do
post #764 of 843 Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM

SFPegasus:

What version of the software do you have now? I have the version 2.01 satellite update for the HD300 and there are still a few "issues." For example: When setting a manual timer program the day indicator changes to the following day at 4:00 PM instead of at midnight.
post #765 of 843 Old 01-18-2006, 08:17 AM

Well, that 2.01.00 *is* the current version and no more updates are planned.

I haven't had time to check out that particular issue, but I'm sure you'll hear from me when I do. I think I remember reading somewhere on the web (tivo community?) that there was a workaround or fix. Try some searches on google to start.

That's how I figured out this software issue. It only took me a month (!) to figure it out The program timer issue might take more time.
post #766 of 843 Old 04-01-2006, 05:27 PM

pretty quiet around here...aren't we at least going to have a pool to see if D* blesses us with any games ?!?!

Last year seemed like everybody had an inside line on what to expect...doesn't look promising thus far.

hoping...moo
post #767 of 843 Old 04-01-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i think a lot like me have probably gone on to hd tivo, although there is this ****ing bug where i can't change the screen mode on my kv xbr 34 910, but once you have tivo you just can't go back to realtime tv watching, or i can't, anyway.

My sincere thanks to everyone who makes AVSforum such an awesome resource.
post #768 of 843 Old 04-01-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolala View Post

pretty quiet around here...aren't we at least going to have a pool to see if D* blesses us with any games ?!?!

Last year seemed like everybody had an inside line on what to expect...doesn't look promising thus far.

hoping...moo

>>> sorry, my mistake, wrong forum !!
post #769 of 843 Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Anybody know if DirecTV is still sending the updates for the HD300? I had one idle while my addition was being built and now I have old firmware that says its updating every couple minutes. Very annoying! I just turned it on today with DirecTV and hopefully will see an update soon. Is there a way to force an update?

Thanks,

Ron

What is being updated? Is there a reason to have your stb updated?
post #770 of 843 Old 04-02-2006, 04:53 PM

hi...TV is 16:9 SONY rear LCD

I have set the Hughes to 720p format and the TV didsplay mode is full (normal)
but if we hit guide it appears on the screen as if it's letterboxed within a 4:3 on the 16:9 TV...ie bars on all 4 sides.

Anybody have any experience with this...haven't tried all the variables re Hughes display formats, but 720p really is the one I want...tried native but Hughes won't allow me to use panaramic in those instances and that is the preferred stretch mode (at the moment)

thanks in advance...moo
post #771 of 843 Old 04-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:

hi...TV is 16:9 SONY rear LCD

I have set the Hughes to 720p format and the TV didsplay mode is full (normal)
but if we hit guide it appears on the screen as if it's letterboxed within a 4:3 on the 16:9 TV...ie bars on all 4 sides.

Anybody have any experience with this...haven't tried all the variables re Hughes display formats, but 720p really is the one I want...tried native but Hughes won't allow me to use panaramic in those instances and that is the preferred stretch mode (at the moment)

thanks in advance...moo

well, found some comments in this forum from 2004, so will try changing from 720p to 1080i (long distance troubleshooting for my dad...). I had searched the forum before asking initially but got no relevant hits...then funnily enough I found ref through backdoor with google search....anyhow sounds like it should resolve.
post #772 of 843 Old 04-04-2006, 02:44 PM

I could really use some help from existing owners that are familiar with how best to do this with these particular receivers...I'm at a bit of a loss at present trying to determine wheher I am specifying the desired channels incorrectly or whether there are signal/pointing issues....the sea of channels that receiver/DirecTV has loaded based on ZIP is not helping me obtain any definitive answer either.

Setup is in Niagara Falls NY...trying to add Canadian HD using 4228 antenna. The local HD channels added automatically and successfully by Zip Code and reception is fine depending on rotor direction, etc...I see that the receiver has mapped them from the actual HD channel numbers to their respective analog equivalent...all that I get, but now I'm not certain what the receiver expects to have keyed re channel numbers when I do it manually.

for example if I have CFTO which is analog ch.9 (vhf) and their HD broadcasting is 40-1, then what will it expect of me when keying in manual channel ?

a) do I specify 40 and then (if found) the receiver will check for 40-1, 40-2, 40-3 and then map it back to ch.9 based on any PSIP info it reads ?

or...

b) do I specify 9 which will somehow locate the HD channels for 40 ?

c) or what ????

So far...it found the ANALOG channel 9 (with uhf antenna no less...even though VHF)...yet nothing found for digital.

similarly CBC (channel 5 analog and 20 HD), I find neither analog nor digital pointing in the same direction even though it is reported to be far stronger signal and broadcast from the same place (CN tower).

Just don't know where to focus my troubleshooting without having been able to add ANY thus far.

Thanks in advance...moo
post #773 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Perhaps the software isn't programmed to integrate the Canadian channel scheme, even though the receiver is capable of picking up the OTA signal?
post #774 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Perhaps the software isn't programmed to integrate the Canadian channel scheme, even though the receiver is capable of picking up the OTA signal?

ok (maybe ?) ...but let's skip the specifics of it being Canadian...if the example were more hypothetical and the desired station was US...then what do I need to be keying in for manual addition in the example I illustrated ?

thanks...
I'm near to the point of removing zip code from antenna setup in effort to clear the OTA stations just to see if I can manually add ones that I know exist and are attainable.
post #775 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
You need to enter the actual broadcast channel when manually adding OTA stations, it should be 40 for CTFO. The receiver will then map it to whatever channel it should display as in the guide based on PSIP info.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #776 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, that ought to work, as long as the software interface used for the guide is not specifically geared to U.S. PSIP configurations.
post #777 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Yes, that ought to work, as long as the software interface used for the guide is not specifically geared to U.S. PSIP configurations.

WOW...nice curveball there !!

The channel mapping is in the signal for the station (this PSIP data you refer to I imagine)...what are you suggesting here, that maybe the standards are different and that the receiver's software can't interpret it's content (the Cdn stations PSIP data)?? or are you driving at somethng a little different.

I'm definitely listening !!
I'm used to this problem from a different angle, where DirecTV loads locals/OTA based on ZIP and by doing so it excludes the Canadian stations (the new H20 we have for example does this...as most do...BUT, it has no provision for adding channels manually, which is why we bought the Hughes)

thanks everyone for your comments...moo
post #778 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

You need to enter the actual broadcast channel when manually adding OTA stations, it should be 40 for CTFO. The receiver will then map it to whatever channel it should display as in the guide based on PSIP info.

btw...thx
post #779 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I could really use some help from existing owners that are familiar with how best to do this with these particular receivers.....

Ok, here's how I did it. First I told it NOT to use local program information for my zipcode. I "killed" (exit button) the LOCAL channel search - right after the SATELLITE channel search - before it could find any stations off the antenna (you can hear it switching) so all that was left was the satellite channels. Then I manually added ONLY the channels I really wanted - say, channel 29, which showed up on the guide as 5.1. If there was a 5.2, 5.3, etc., they would have been added at the same time. Then I added manually the others that I wanted so my guide isn't all cluttered up with junk. You'll have to know what the REAL broadcast channel is.

It was getting a bit too crowded with things like Satellite 9, Local 9, HD 9.1, HD 9.2, HD 9.3, HD 9.4 and HD 9.5 were taking up the whole screen.

The downside to all this is that is that program information does not display in the guide. Example: Satellite 5 will show "CSI: Miami" and Local 5.1 will show "Regular Programming". So I use the satellite 5 when they are broadcasting in SD and the Local 5.1 when they are broadcasting in HD.

Now ......if I could only keep the GEM channel and the CDUSA channel and a few others pathetic channels I never watch from reappearing every time I delete them from the custom guide.......grrrrrrrr.

Regarding the smaller appearance of the program guide when your display is in a higher (720) resolution...... This is because the guide is sized for 480i and does not change as you increase the resolution, therefore appearing smaller on the screen. It's kinda like on your personal computer when you change it to a higher resolution -- all the desktop icons appear to be smaller. Hope this helps.
post #780 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPegasus View Post

Ok, here's how I did it. First I told it NOT to use local program information for my zipcode. I "killed" (exit button) the LOCAL channel search - right after the SATELLITE channel search - before it could find any stations off the antenna (you can hear it switching) so all that was left was the satellite channels. Then I manually added ONLY the channels I really wanted - say, channel 29, which showed up on the guide as 5.1. If there was a 5.2, 5.3, etc., they would have been added at the same time. Then I added manually the others that I wanted so my guide isn't all cluttered up with junk. You'll have to know what the REAL broadcast channel is.

It was getting a bit too crowded with things like Satellite 9, Local 9, HD 9.1, HD 9.2, HD 9.3, HD 9.4 and HD 9.5 were taking up the whole screen.

The downside to all this is that is that program information does not display in the guide. Example: Satellite 5 will show "CSI: Miami" and Local 5.1 will show "Regular Programming". So I use the satellite 5 when they are broadcasting in SD and the Local 5.1 when they are broadcasting in HD.

Now ......if I could only keep the GEM channel and the CDUSA channel and a few others pathetic channels I never watch from reappearing every time I delete them from the custom guide.......grrrrrrrr.

Regarding the smaller appearance of the program guide when your display is in a higher (720) resolution...... This is because the guide is sized for 480i and does not change as you increase the resolution, therefore appearing smaller on the screen. It's kinda like on your personal computer when you change it to a higher resolution -- all the desktop icons appear to be smaller. Hope this helps.

thanks for your comments !!
quite willing to try this just curious about a couple things though (I'm coordinating this from 100mi away for my dad so don't confuse some of my issues with laziness as I try to sort out some things along the way)

1.) are you saying that by bypassing the addition of the local network in the setup ie no locals/OTA by zip, that any subsequent addition of channels manually results in them havingg no guide content...as a direct result of having bypassed the ZIP step ? what about the example you mention where you speak of the guide info for satellite ch.5 is that your direcTV local and it loads that as part of the regular guide process ??

2.) did you do this solely because of the clutter, or similar to myself, you had difficulties geting the receiver to add other channels ?

thx again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page