LG 3200A / Sony HD-300 / Hughes HTL-HD - 2.0 Upgrade - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolala View Post

thanks for your comments !!
quite willing to try this just curious about a couple things though (I'm coordinating this from 100mi away for my dad so don't confuse some of my issues with laziness as I try to sort out some things along the way)

Gotcha....

1) Short answer - yes. The zip in the local setup tells your receiver which channels to get program guide information for from DirecTv and then tries to bring you every freakin' one of them. The SD Local 5 channel being sent by satellite has program guide information that is independent of the OTA/Local guide information.

2) Clutter, clutter, clutter! However, the H20 I had for a few miserable days was able to pick up HD 11.1 (NBC 11) which is really channel 12. Surprising, since I have a UHF-only antenna. The Sony simply refused anything associated to channel 12. I'm within a mile of Sutro Tower in SF so I'm overwhelmed with signals to choose from. HD 11.1 is on Sutro Mountain 12 or so miles and several hills and valleys away. If NBC has any HD content worth watching I still have the NBC feed out of LA by way of waivers. Let's hope they let us keep the waivers in light of all the new local HD service being offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFPegasus View Post

Gotcha....

1) Short answer - yes. The zip in the local setup tells your receiver which channels to get program guide information for from DirecTv and then tries to bring you every freakin' one of them. The SD Local 5 channel being sent by satellite has program guide information that is independent of the OTA/Local guide information.

I had him go through the Initial Setup again and replied NO to the local network channels part...BUT...upon completion, the guide is still flooded with a sea of channels eg 4D, 4A, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc, etc....do I need to do some kind of hard reset to the receiver to flush settings first ?? Is there a combination of buttoons that can execute this is that is the case or do I have to unplug for hours ?

thx...moo
post #783 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I had him go through the Initial Setup again and replied NO to the local network channels part...BUT...upon completion, the guide is still flooded with a sea of channels eg 4D, 4A, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, etc, etc....do I need to do some kind of hard reset to the receiver to flush settings first ?? Is there a combination of buttoons that can execute this is that is the case or do I have to unplug for hours ?

thx...moo

Oops... forgot to tell you about that. You need a NVRAM reset.

Press the "info" and the "right arrow" button (on the receiver, not the remote) at the same time with the HD300 powered on, you will be able to get into the Special Diagnostic Menu. On the first page of the menu, at the bottom you will see: NVRAM reset. By resetting the NVRAM it will return the receiver to right out of the box settings. Be aware that you will also lose any custom channel menus you may have created
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:

thx...moo

Remember - you will have to "exit" the channel searching stuff after it finds all the SATELLITE stations. You'll hear a "click" when it changes to the antenna tuner. Mine was really touchy because we have a channel "2" here and I didn't want the tuner picking it up - you have to be quick with the "exit".

Don't be surprised if you have to do a NVRAM reset a few time to get the sequencing down. I think I must have done it 20 times before I finally got it where I wanted it.
post #785 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Oops... forgot to tell you about that. You need a NVRAM reset.

Press the "info" and the "right arrow" button (on the receiver, not the remote) at the same time with the HD300 powered on, you will be able to get into the Special Diagnostic Menu. On the first page of the menu, at the bottom you will see: NVRAM reset. By resetting the NVRAM it will return the receiver to right out of the box settings. Be aware that you will also lose any custom channel menus you may have created

hey...no prob !

that went fine....then it got interesting (I suspect you knew this and maybe I didn't pick up on it in your earlier post)...I added a nearby channel that was OK originally so I knew I was doing it correctly....it is channel.43 which until the reset had been remapping in the guide to ch.17 which is indeed it's analog equivalent......upon the manual addition though, there was no mapping effort done and the channel instead appears in the guide as 43-1,2,3 (with no program info as expected)....I wasn't expecting this as I thought the channel mapping info is in the broadcast of the digital channel, when now it seems to suggest that it is xrefing against info DirecTV loaded ?!?! Anyhow, I thought maybe this was encouraging news for my attemp to add the Canadian channels, but alas, it finds nothing (it does however hang on the digital channel search phase for 5-7 seconds before failing when rotor is pointed correctly, so I don't know if that means i might have found a signal but couldn't lock it in or if it maybe failed some other check it was attempting before formally adding it to he guide...dunno)

I at least know I am keying correctly now, so maybe there is need for preamp or maybe close rpoximity to the 3-4 channels broadcasting only 1,2-3 miles away is already impacting effort to lock in these others....damn frustrating that it's at least not more black and white what the need/problem is....is there any reason at all I should suspect the sensitivity of the HTL-HD ?? the local installer of the 4228 antenna had recommended Zenith 520, but of course had no stock at the time.

much to consider again it seems.
moo
post #786 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:

upon the manual addition though, there was no mapping effort done and the channel instead appears in the guide as 43-1,2,3

You're getting the hang of it.....

Yep.... it seems that I had that problem and then all of a sudden it figured out the correct information and mapped correctly. Seems like it took a couple of days.

We have some oddball stuff here, too.....

Our PBS affiliate, which has some really cool stuff sometimes has:

9.1 evenings 8pm on
9.2 evenings 8pm on
9.3 daily until 8pm
9.4 daily until 8pm
9.5 daily until 8pm

These stations come and go on and off the guide at will. It seems to update when you tune to one of the channels. Other times it is on the guide and when you tune to it, it goes away if not broadcasting.

I have this antenna, pointed directly at Sutro Tower: All but one of our stations are UHF so I went with

http://www.antennasdirect.com/SR15_hdtv_antenna.html

These tuners are NOT as sensitive as the some of the newer tuners, and often fail to lock on a relatively strong signal. Remember, OTA digital is line of sight, so weather and obstacles will present a problem.
post #787 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I wasn't expecting this as I thought the channel mapping info is in the broadcast of the digital channel, when now it seems to suggest that it is xrefing against info DirecTV loaded ?!?!

The channel mapping that turns "29" into "5.1" has nothing to do with DirecTv. It will occur as some sort of "translation" inside the receiver. This receiver can be used as a HD receiver without DirecTv service.
post #788 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:

it does however hang on the digital channel search phase for 5-7 seconds before failing when rotor is pointed correctly.....

There is a way, somewhere in the setup antenna stuff, to see the strength of a OTA digital channel, even if it is not in the guide. I'm at work, so I can't try it, but if memory serves correctly, you can put in or point to a number, like "29" in my example and it will give you the channel strength. If the signal bar is really eraratic, it may indicate that it cannot get a lock.
post #789 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I added a nearby channel that was OK originally so I knew I was doing it correctly....it is channel.43 which until the reset had been remapping in the guide to ch.17 which is indeed it's analog equivalent......upon the manual addition though, there was no mapping effort done and the channel instead appears in the guide as 43-1,2,3 (with no program info as expected)....I wasn't expecting this as I thought the channel mapping info is in the broadcast of the digital channel, when now it seems to suggest that it is xrefing against info DirecTV loaded ?!?!

Actually, both of your conjectures are correct. The tuner will remap to the analog channel number (with -1 etc. appended) if it receives a PSIP data block from the broadcast station (in the ATSC data stream) OR if it receives "PSIP equivalent" remapping info from the DirecTV Advanced Programming Guide (APG). Since you have decided to "configure out" the OTA local channel info in the DirecTV APG (you did this by omitting the zip code in the "local network" option), your only source for remapping is the PSIP.

In the early days of HDTV broadcasting (late 1990s) very few stations sent the PSIP remapping info. Some of the early OTA HDTV tuners handled the remapping badly when it was sent (and early on, the format of the PSIP varied somewhat, depending on the brand of digital encoder being used by the broadcaster). Some early HDTV tuners actually crashed when they received what they considered to be a badly-formatted PSIP!

By now, most of these kinks have been worked out, and most digital stations are sending PSIP remapping info. Apparently, your local channel 43 is one of the few that still do not. (DirecTV tends to send their own remapping info whether or not the local station is doing so itself.)

This all gets even more interesting on occasions when the local channel makes changes in their digital "subchannel" configuration (adding more subchannels or dropping some). DirecTV tends to lag behind it often takes them several weeks to update the APG to match changes in local configurations. In that case, if you have the APG "local networks" option turned on, you sometimes see strange things, such as duplicate subchannels or subchannels that do not exist.

(You cannot turn off the broadcasters' PSIP remapping. Either they send it, or they don't.)

Most likely your father's tuner can receive the Canadian HDTV channels but it has been designed to ignore them (they may be "local" but they are definitely "out-of-market"). To receive them, he will probably have to cross the border and bring home a Canadian model of a terrestrial (OTA) HDTV tuner.

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #790 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:

You're getting the hang of it.....

Yep.... it seems that I had that problem and then all of a sudden it figured out the correct information and mapped correctly. Seems like it took a couple of days.

We have some oddball stuff here, too.....

Our PBS affiliate, which has some really cool stuff sometimes has:

9.1 evenings 8pm on
9.2 evenings 8pm on
9.3 daily until 8pm
9.4 daily until 8pm
9.5 daily until 8pm

These stations come and go on and off the guide at will. It seems to update when you tune to one of the channels. Other times it is on the guide and when you tune to it, it goes away if not broadcasting.

I have this antenna, pointed directly at Sutro Tower: All but one of our stations are UHF so I went with

http://www.antennasdirect.com/SR15_hdtv_antenna.html

These tuners are NOT as sensitive as the some of the newer tuners, and often fail to lock on a relatively strong signal. Remember, OTA digital is line of sight, so weather and obstacles will present a problem.

hmmm...that's interesting about it eventually mapping back to the analog...odd too...do you get station call letters in the guide once it does that too ?

stations coming and going: I was afraid to mention earlier due to my already long list of descriptions, but same occurs...duplicates of digital HD in guide, only to tune in channel and exit and then guide has dropped several...and then all the sorts of things you described as well...
post #791 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmccain View Post

Actually, both of your conjectures are correct. The tuner will remap to the analog channel number (with -1 etc. appended) if it receives a PSIP data block from the broadcast station (in the ATSC data stream) OR if it receives "PSIP equivalent" remapping info from the DirecTV Advanced Programming Guide (APG). Since you have decided to "configure out" the OTA local channel info in the DirecTV APG (you did this by omitting the zip code in the "local network" option), your only source for remapping is the PSIP.

In the early days of HDTV broadcasting (late 1990s) very few stations sent the PSIP remapping info. Some of the early OTA HDTV tuners handled the remapping badly when it was sent (and early on, the format of the PSIP varied somewhat, depending on the brand of digital encoder being used by the broadcaster). Some early HDTV tuners actually crashed when they received what they considered to be a badly-formatted PSIP!

By now, most of these kinks have been worked out, and most digital stations are sending PSIP remapping info. Apparently, your local channel 43 is one of the few that still do not. (DirecTV tends to send their own remapping info whether or not the local station is doing so itself.)

This all gets even more interesting on occasions when the local channel makes changes in their digital "subchannel" configuration (adding more subchannels or dropping some). DirecTV tends to lag behind it often takes them several weeks to update the APG to match changes in local configurations. In that case, if you have the APG "local networks" option turned on, you sometimes see strange things, such as duplicate subchannels or subchannels that do not exist.

(You cannot turn off the broadcasters' PSIP remapping. Either they send it, or they don't.)

Most likely your father's tuner can receive the Canadian HDTV channels but it has been designed to ignore them (they may be "local" but they are definitely "out-of-market"). To receive them, he will probably have to cross the border and bring home a Canadian model of a terrestrial (OTA) HDTV tuner.

good reading...thanks (lots of help from California today !!) I feel like I've pirated the forum, but some interesting points bubbling up along the way.

So...PSIP data broadcast by the channel: I guess we're saying then that if it DOESN"T map initially , but does later on, that transmission of that data by the station is not a constant maybe? what about program details, is this also PSIP data that similarly may or may not be present depending on the network ?

Can you elaborate a little on what you suspect about the tuner re Canadian stations...if we bypassed local network in setup and it has ability to add channels manually, we would you expect this ? (other than the fact, it has thus far been unable to)

fyi...just starting a little lurking on the Buffalo, NY OTA reception forum here on AVS and many people capable of getting Canadian...I should maybe see which assortment of direcTV tuners are being used where applicable.

Again thanks to all for sharing their thoughts and knowledge !!
moo
post #792 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:

hmmm...that's interesting about it eventually mapping back to the analog...odd too...do you get station call letters in the guide once it does that too ?

"Eventually" should be understood as meaning "if and when the broadcast station actually sends a PSIP". Although your local 43 apparently was not sending a PSIP when you located it, that could be either a temporary or "permanent" condition. A few stations have not implemented the PSIP at all yet. However, I have seen cases in which a station stops sending the PSIP for a few hours, then suddenly "turns it on" again. (Their engineers are still "fiddling" with digital broadcasting, although for the most part this has stabilized greatly compared to the "early days".)

The good news is that you don't have to re-run the "local channel search". Once the station has been identified, then its PSIP (if any) will be processed any time in the future that you tune that station. (This includes when you select the station in the "show/hide channels" array.)

As to your question about call letters, unfortunately the answer is "no". The PSIP does contain the call letters, and sometimes a short description of the channel, but DirecTV has chosen to ignore this info. The combo DirecTV/OTA tuners respect the remapping data in the actual PSIP, but they ignore everything else (which I find aggravating). These tuners will display call letters and descriptions ONLY if you have enabled the "local networks" APG option, and only if that data is included in the DirecTV APG. Even worse, the call letters found in the DirecTV APG sometimes differ from the ones being broadcast in the PSIP. The differences are usually minor, involving "suffixes". For instance, 7-1 and 7-2 might have PSIP call letters of KGO-HD and KGO-SD, but DirecTV may have them listed as KGO-DT1 and KGO-DT2.

The only way that I know of to see the "real" PSIP data, in full, is to use a terrestrial-only (OTA-only) ATSC (digital) tuner. Or one of the newer TV sets that has a built-in ATSC tuner.

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #793 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:

What about program details, is this also PSIP data that similarly may or may not be present depending on the network ?

The ATSC data stream does provide for transmitting the station's program guide (their schedule, including program names and descriptions). The last time I checked (using a terrestrial-only ATSC tuner) most stations had NOT implemented this feature. This data is separate from the PSIP (or perhaps it is an extension to the "basic PSIP" but in any case, it has seldom been seen). No matter, because the DirecTV "combo" tuners ignore the broadcasters' own guide info, just as they ignore the call letters in the PSIP. If it's a DirecTV tuner, you get the DirecTV program guide period. To see the broadcasters' own program guide (for the very few that have implemented it), you need to use a terrestrial-only tuner.

Quote:

Can you elaborate a little on what you suspect about the tuner re Canadian stations...if we bypassed local network in setup and it has ability to add channels manually, we would you expect this ? (other than the fact, it has thus far been unable to)

Your evidence suggests that the Canadian channels can be seen (the noticeable "pause" that you mentioned when you try the "real channel"). But it would be very typical of DirecTV to have insisted that their tuners reject non-US stations. Note that DirecTV itself is officially unavailable in the Canadian market (except to the thousands of people in Canada who imported DirecTV tuners from the US and have directed their bills to a US zip code.)

Quote:

fyi...just starting a little lurking on the Buffalo, NY OTA reception forum here on AVS and many people capable of getting Canadian...I should maybe see which assortment of direcTV tuners are being used where applicable.

I'll betcha those are all terrestrial-only, NON-DirecTV tuners. (Or possibly some very early "combo" tuners such as the RCA DTC-100.) Earlier, I suggested that you might need to import an OTA tuner from Canada. In fact, it is likely that most US models of terrestrial-only tuners can get Canadian digital OTA with no restrictions. After all, the makers of those sets didn't have DirecTV telling them what they can do and cannot do!

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #794 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Actually, some OTA receivers give the option of disregarding the PSIP info, and all of it's features and pitfalls.

Quote:

Huh?

There is no such thing as a Canadian model of OTA tuner that would be any different than an American one. They use ATSC just like we do. The DirecTV versions of these OTA tuners are probably screwed up for use in this application, due to using the DirecTV guide info.

The solution may be to use an OTA tuner that is not also for DirecTV, or get a used RCA DTC-100, which does not use the DirecTV IPG info and can be switched between using PSIP or not.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #795 of 843 Old 04-05-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Actually, some OTA receivers give the option of disregarding the PSIP info, and all of it's features and pitfalls.

This I did not know, nice to learn. All my OTA-only ATSC tuners were Panasonics and a Samsung (and a very early RCA DTC-100, which I returned to the store the next day in disgust.) However, my statement that "You cannot turn off the broadcasters' PSIP remapping" was intended to be specific to the 3200A/HD-300/HTL-HD (of which I own two).

Quote:

There is no such thing as a Canadian model of OTA tuner that would be any different than an American one. They use ATSC just like we do. The DirecTV versions of these OTA tuners are probably screwed up for use in this application, due to using the DirecTV guide info.

In a later post (which probably "crossed in the mail" with yours) I amended my earlier statement to hypothesize that a US OTA-only tuner would probably work with Canadian stations. In fact, it is probably a mandate unique to DirecTV that the "combo" tuners (apparently) ignore Canadian OTA stations. I did know that Canada uses the same ATSC data streams as the US, my musing about Canada-specific OTA tuner models was just a conjecture which I now know to be incorrect, thanks again to your input. (Of course, satellite tuners are specific to each country.)

Quote:

The solution may be to use an OTA tuner that is not also for DirecTV, or get a used RCA DTC-100, which does not use the DirecTV IPG info and can be switched between using PSIP or not.

The very early DTC-100 that I tested did use the DirectTV IPG for satellite channels. For terrestrial channels, it had no guide info to speak of (since the broadcasters weren't providing it). And it was one of the early models that had difficulty processing certain versions of the PSIP. Most likely, that was fixed in a later firmware update which I suspect was when they added an option to process the PSIP or not (I don't recollect the early ones having that feature).

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #796 of 843 Old 04-06-2006, 08:53 AM

Wow. You guys are awsome. Amazing the education you can get on here.
post #797 of 843 Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

good reading...thanks (lots of help from California today !!) I feel like I've pirated the forum, but some interesting points bubbling up along the way.

Not the Forum, just this thread.
post #798 of 843 Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:

...In a later post (which probably "crossed in the mail" with yours) I amended my earlier statement to hypothesize that a US OTA-only tuner would probably work with Canadian stations. In fact, it is probably a mandate unique to DirecTV that the "combo" tuners (apparently) ignore Canadian OTA stations. I did know that Canada uses the same ATSC data streams as the US, my musing about Canada-specific OTA tuner models was just a conjecture which I now know to be incorrect, thanks again to your input. (Of course, satellite tuners are specific to each country.)

Well...nearly positive that Zenith 520 can add Canadian OTA (hearsay though)...so let's put the question out there for owners of any of these 3 LG, Sony, Hughes models (since it is HTL-HD I'm trying)...has anyone anywhere successfully been able to add Candian OTa to the direcTV receiver...whether you're east coast, west coast, residing in Canada (shame shame...lol)...whatever.

It would be nice to know for certain before I look at preamps, traps, attenuators or another tuners.

Thanks all !!!

btw...Masters in HD today...nice surprise it was, since word on the street for months was that only weekend action on CBS would be telecast...looked awesome (HP md5880n)
post #799 of 843 Old 04-07-2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by wmccain
...In a later post (which probably "crossed in the mail" with yours) I amended my earlier statement to hypothesize that a US OTA-only tuner would probably work with Canadian stations. In fact, it is probably a mandate unique to DirecTV that the "combo" tuners (apparently) ignore Canadian OTA stations. I did know that Canada uses the same ATSC data streams as the US, my musing about Canada-specific OTA tuner models was just a conjecture which I now know to be incorrect, thanks again to your input. (Of course, satellite tuners are specific to each country.)

While I await comments from any other owners who have or haven't managed to do this, I got to thinking a little more about what you're suggesting here and was curious about what you might venture to guess is going on from a technical perspective that would allow the receiver to do this...

a) do you think there is something in the PSIP that identifies COUNTRY of origin and it might be blocking in the cases where stations are indeed sending out PSIP ?

b) or do you think it is referencing local stations database it's downloaded from satellite even though we have bypassed creation/usage of local network setup ?

it's not possible that it has a static table of OK station as it would have to be the whole of USA and it would have to be CURRENT.

doesn't seem very realistic that this is going on...although I guess I could buy into the idea of it blocking by PSIP country though.....might be interesting for me to specify NO DISH in the setup to see if the logic is influenced by the implication that the person wouldn't be a DirecTV customer (based on setup of that nature)...I'll report back (for anyone who cares) if I can manage to get my dad to do yet another experiment. (I'm sure he's missing the good old days right about now...LOL)

edited updt: I have since seen PSIP ref about ratings table that specifies program rating for a broadcast for each region's ratings system (country) so obviously this "region" origin must be imbedded in anojther table as well.
post #800 of 843 Old 04-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:

a) do you think there is something in the PSIP that identifies COUNTRY of origin and it might be blocking in the cases where stations are indeed sending out PSIP ?

Sure ... the station's call letters, if nothing else. US stations have call letters starting with 'K' or 'W', whereas Canadian stations have call letters starting with 'C'. It's also possible (fairly likely, even) that there is a "country code" field in the PSIP.

Quote:

b) or do you think it is referencing local stations database it's downloaded from satellite even though we have bypassed creation/usage of local network setup ?

Unlikely.

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #801 of 843 Old 04-07-2006, 10:15 AM

ok thx william....IF indeed there is any restrictions in place, I tend to agree that that is likely how it is managed.

I'll summarize and provide some closure once able.

moo
post #802 of 843 Old 04-08-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
it is interesting to read about the conjecture on country restrictions since i noticed
when i was searching for hd300's on ebay, quite a few were sourced from canada.
post #803 of 843 Old 04-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed View Post

it is interesting to read about the conjecture on country restrictions since i noticed
when i was searching for hd300's on ebay, quite a few were sourced from canada.

Most likely, they were imported to Canada for "grey-market" reception of DirecTV.

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #804 of 843 Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Most likely, they were imported to Canada for "grey-market" reception of DirecTV.

looks like they may have been imported in a big way.
one reseller has 10 at this moment.
post #805 of 843 Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed View Post

looks like they may have been imported in a big way.

What a surprise.

William C. McCain
Palo Alto, California
post #806 of 843 Old 09-08-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

DirecTV apparently is no longer updating receivers via software updates in the data stream. They much prefer to support a single unit (H20) and let everybody think that the older units MUST be replaced, regardless how much you paid for them and prefer them to the H20.

I've been a long time (10-years) D* customer, as such they sent me a LG-3200 a year ago and I just now opened it. It has the 1.06 version -- am I screwed?

I JUST opened it as my Sammy 160 is getting tempramental on a marginal OTA signal strength. Last night the Steelers were in HD, and the LG was able to tune it in where my Sammy couldn't. I've NOT been following the UPGRADE saga D* is spreading... as long as I can watch the programs I don't care if it's Mpeg-2, Mpeg-4, or if I have a DVR. Now, if they want me to TAKE a new unit, OK. But, I don't want to get into paying mirror subscriptions, or TivO rental. I DO have a triple LNB 'mini' dish hooked up for my Sammy.

I suppose if I contact D* they'll want to send me a bunch o' stuff... what's the real scoop? Do I need new equipment or is it all a bunch of hype?

TIA
post #807 of 843 Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Andrew:

You might be screwed unless:

1) LG will update the software (whodoyacall?)
2) Sony will update the software, which will probably take some serious explaining. Sometimes it's hard to get across to these guys that both the HD200 and HD300 receivers were really LG receivers in Sony drag. If it doesn't say "Sony" on it they may not want it on their bench.

You will NOT get an update via the satellite stream, ever. Period. DirecTv has no interest whatsoever in these receivers now that they have the H20.
post #808 of 843 Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The last upgrade on my Sony SAT-HD300 is version 2.01.00 this was automatically installed September 2004.

I really can't remember exactly what this upgrade accomplished. If no one answers this question, the only thing I can suggest vs calling the manufacturer or Direct, is to scan through this thread and more than likely you'll get the answers.

But beyond that, I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to upgrade at this late date. For that you definitely have to talk to Direct.

I wish you well.
post #809 of 843 Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

the current software version is 2.01 and is still being downloaded on the directv datastream if you are connected to a receiving dish. The download should occur within 24 hours. If not contact directv technical assistance and they will arrange the upgrade through the phone line.

I wish I had another one of those. Do not get rid of it!!

THANKS for the encouragement! But HOW do YOU know D* is still downloading firmware updates when there are others who say they've terminated the operation, entirely?

I did ALL that you suggested, but it's INFO that envokes the Factory menu. It's rebooted and now tuned to ch-201 with the power OFF. I'd been reading this thread all day and there's not any clear concensius on the power state, or what should be tuned last. I hope this works... the 1.06 version it came with is almost constantly doing a Network Reconfiguration function where it posts a satelite banner communicating with the dish... there is NO "Favorite" guide, ALL is the default, and it is constantly adding back (distant) local channels I can't receive. I hope 2.01 downloads and fixes these issues!

So D* CAN update it via the phone line? Again, I wonder how you're so smart on this unit... Hmmm....... Sometimes it's best NOT to question a man with the plan!

Thanks! (fingers crossed)

FWIW, I contacted D* today and they made me their offer for a HD-DVR, free installation, etc for $19.95, S&H -- Given I own a HTPC w/ATi HDTV-Wonder for my OTA PVR recording, I'm not sure I want to pay the $5.99/mo to record D* programs. If I can get my reception steady on my old Sammy, or this LG running smoothly I may just opt to KISS (keep it simple stupid).
post #810 of 843 Old 09-09-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

NO DICE.... Same 1.06 this morning. Although, that's not to say it won't d/l within the next month, or so -- depending on how frequently they're pushing the update. I wonder about the phone line option?

I know about hiding the channels I don't want to include, but this 1.06 version is poppimg that Network Reconfig banner about every 2-10 minutes! When it does so it stuffs additional copies of the hidden channels back into the lineup. It's being a real pain in the a$$.

I'm on the phone w/D* now... tech support is checking on how to get 2.01.00 into my LG-3200A

The tech says the update was pushed from 10/01/04 - 11/12/04 and no longer exists. This unit was shipped to me 11/18/04 -- after the update period!

After further research he says the update is NOT AVAILABLE from D*... PERIOD. If I need this update I'll need to search alternate providers/service centers. Another note: they believe the Nte Reconf banner is triggered by a combination of low OTA signal strength AND/OR bad/intermittent dish connection/signal strength. But, with No Dish configured it does not occur, and my dish has been operating on my Sammy for several years without issue... go figure :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page