LG 3200A / Sony HD-300 / Hughes HTL-HD - 2.0 Upgrade - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 843 Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: outside of Denver CO - between Parker and Elizabeth (wayyyyy SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can always keep calling D* until you get a CSR that gives you the answer you like. I'm not being facetious -- there is an incredible difference in knowledge and ability between D* CSRs. The vast majority only know how to walk you through the receiver reset procedure and that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 843 Old 09-09-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAuger View Post

You can always keep calling D* until you get a CSR that gives you the answer you like. I'm not being facetious -- there is an incredible difference in knowledge and ability between D* CSRs. The vast majority only know how to walk you through the receiver reset procedure and that's it.

While I agree with your statement... the proof is IN the pudding -- as long as my LG does NOT receive the upgrade, their position is accurately stated -- reguardless of what ANY CSR says, how they dress it up or WHAT they promise.

What pot are you trying to stir? What would you like me to believe?
post #813 of 843 Old 09-10-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as OTA-only, if I tell it No Dish it does a good job even with the 1.06 firmware. Given I've NOT tried it for D* reception I don't know just what I may BE missing. The GUI of the LG is way far different than the Sammy and the RCA is essentially that of the Sammy as well. I got my antenna reaimed but THINK it was or IS a suspect UHF amplifier located in my attic, within a few feet of the antenna. Something about the FM-Trap switch creams the reception of RF-49.

BTW, was your 'repair' related at all to the Network Reconfiguration banner I was telling you about or another issue, entirely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 843 Old 09-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Is there a known issue with the HDMI output from the HTL-HD? I have this hooked up to my Sony 50E2000 via an HDMI->DVI cable and I am noticing the every 5 minutes or so the picture flickers as though the TV has temporarily lost the signal and then quickly regained it. This seems to happen on both HD and SD channels. The output is set to native.

David M.
post #815 of 843 Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Is there a known issue with the HDMI output from the HTL-HD? I have this hooked up to my Sony 50E2000 via an HDMI->DVI cable and I am noticing the every 5 minutes or so the picture flickers as though the TV has temporarily lost the signal and then quickly regained it. This seems to happen on both HD and SD channels. The output is set to native.

My LG3200a does that once in a while. Look at the bright side, it's better than it freezing up like an H20!

Oops! I meant to say that it does this through the component outputs. No HDMI on the 3200a.

Chip
post #816 of 843 Old 09-29-2006, 08:04 AM

dminches:

The HTL-HD does not have HDMI output, only DVI.

I had problems with my Sony HD300/Panny 50PHD8UK using the DVI-HDMI cable like you. I had much better luck with the component outputs. When the picture was stable using the DVI output, it wasn't NEARLY as crisp and clear as the component outputs.
post #817 of 843 Old 09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Right. I always seem to confuse DVI with HDMI. My Sony has HDMI inputs and the HTL-HD has the DVI output. I'll try the component outs.

David M.
post #818 of 843 Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 PM

My HD-300 is currently running software version 1.06, and I'm getting the "Network Reconfiguration" message constantly. I called D*... and they said they had no updates available for this receiver.

I would like to keep this receiver, having paid so much for it. Does anyone know how to acquire the uploads? D*... they can't do it?

Are there any other fixes for this??

Thanks,

era470
post #819 of 843 Old 10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have version 2.01 that was updated via satellite September 2004.

Some on this Forum have mentioned that Direct is no longer providing the update and therefore, the only option was to send their unit back to Sony to get the new software.

I suggest that you contact Sony.

I wish you well, it's a wonderful receiver.
post #820 of 843 Old 10-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I called directv a few weeks ago. They are no longer downloading the software upgrade.

You will need to send it to sony...unless there is a repair center somewhere that can upgrade the version for you.

if you do, make sure they do no exchange your unit with a referb.

that is a great tuner...have 2 of them and will not part with it.
post #821 of 843 Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by era470 View Post

My HD-300 is currently running software version 1.06....

Are there any other fixes for this??

Sony has an online service request procedure that you simply fill in the blanks requesting a software upgrade.

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

It costs about $84 and you send the unit off to Pennsylvania somewhere. Do NOT expect D* to help you and hang on to that receiver at ANY cost.

I went through this same procedure for two HD300s and I haven't had a problem since. Check my posts back in January or so. I detailed the procedure extensively.
post #822 of 843 Old 11-27-2006, 06:44 AM

Hi,

Anyone who has the Zenith SAT-HD520 (equivalent to the Hughes HTL-HD) knows if the program guide and information comes through PSIP? Or does it receive the guide and information through the satelite portion like the Hughes receiver?

I am thinking of picking up a used Zenith and replace my Hughes just so I can get the guide.
post #823 of 843 Old 11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiepp0 View Post

Hi,

Anyone who has the Zenith SAT-HD520 (equivalent to the Hughes HTL-HD) knows if the program guide and information comes through PSIP? Or does it receive the guide and information through the satelite portion like the Hughes receiver?

the 520 uses DirecTv's APG, so no, it will NOT read OTA PSIP.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #824 of 843 Old 12-17-2006, 01:08 PM

I'm in the Dayton, OH area. My HD-300 (firmware 2.01) keeps reseting while watching the OTA HD channel WKEF 22-1. It just started doing this within the last couple of weeks. I don't have this problem with any of the HD OTA channels or and of the D* HD channels.

Any ideas?
post #825 of 843 Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws115 View Post

I'm in the Dayton, OH area. My HD-300 (firmware 2.01) keeps reseting while watching the OTA HD channel WKEF 22-1. It just started doing this within the last couple of weeks. I don't have this problem with any of the HD OTA channels or and of the D* HD channels.

Any ideas?

My first thought is something in the data stream for that particular channel is upsetting the receiver, especially since it works fine for other channels. I would try a "hard reset" and reconfigure the receiver.

Press the "info" and the "right arrow" button (on the receiver, not the remote) at the same time with the HD300 powered on, you will be able to get into the Special Diagnostic Menu. On the first page of the menu, at the bottom you will see: NVRAM reset. By resetting the NVRAM it will return the receiver to right out of the box settings. Be aware that you will also lose any custom channel menus you may have created.
post #826 of 843 Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM

Sometimes for no reason at all, the Directv goes into a creating channel list, which interrupts my movie for several minutes. After it does this, I lose the full description of the shows. Also the search is all messed up. It does not find what it did before it created channel list. Example, if I searched on Law, I would get all of the Law & Order Shows. After this stupid unasked for creating channel list runs, I only get a few in search and no details.

Does this happen to anyone else? It is quite annoying. It just happens all of a sudden. Is it Directv or my Sony HD300?

The next morning it is back to normal.
post #827 of 843 Old 12-17-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I've had this happen a few times on my HD300 but not very often. It seems to be the unit purging it's memory and starting over from scratch.

The reason you lose the program description and the search gets messed up for a while, is because the unit has completely dumped the program guide, and is reloading it, which can take a few hours. I suspect this is the unit, and not DirecTV although I have no way of knowing for sure.
post #828 of 843 Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 AM

The NVRAM reset didn't fix the problem with my receiver resting while watching OTH 22.1 WKEF. How can I tell if it is in the data stream?
post #829 of 843 Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought I'd expressed I can not use my LG in D* mode because it will seek the channels/guide or some message about every 3 minutes or so. However I CAN place it in NO SATELITE mode where it functions only as an OTA tuner. This works fine! I have an older firmware version... not the 2.xx
post #830 of 843 Old 12-25-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws115 View Post

The NVRAM reset didn't fix the problem with my receiver resting while watching OTH 22.1 WKEF. How can I tell if it is in the data stream?

No easy way. The process of elimination sorta points to WKEF as the culprit. They may be sending something of newer technology in their stream that the HD300 isn't built for which is causing the disruptions. You'll probably have to live with it.

We all have to remember these machines were cutting edge at the time they were built and technology marches on........
post #831 of 843 Old 12-25-2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I thought I'd expressed I can not use my LG in D* mode because it will seek the channels/guide or some message about every 3 minutes or so. However I CAN place it in NO SATELITE mode where it functions only as an OTA tuner. This works fine! I have an older firmware version... not the 2.xx

That's precisely what the new firmware fixes, Andrew. Quite annoying, eh? You'll have to get it from Sony. See my earlier posts.
post #832 of 843 Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm thinking of ordering a HTL-HD from ebay for OTA HD only usage. Does the firmware version matter for what I want I just need and for a grandparents-usable experience? I don't really want to have to routinely tech-support a simple tuner. Thanks!
post #833 of 843 Old 06-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post

I'm thinking of ordering a HTL-HD from ebay for OTA HD only usage. Does the firmware version matter for what I want I just need and for a grandparents-usable experience? I don't really want to have to routinely tech-support a simple tuner. Thanks!

I really don't think so, badbob. The problems most of us experienced had to do with the unit trying to update the satellite channels incessantly, making it nearly impossible to watch anything.

I would think if you never set it up to go look for satellites, it would know that there's nothing to update.

Now if you really want to have some fun, I've got a HTL-HD downstairs in unknown working condition you're welcome to - just pay for shipping and it's yours. email me [email protected] if interested.

(someone tried to scam me on ebay - they said it was an HD-300 - I've never tested it but it's been downstairs for a year or so.)
post #834 of 843 Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Which one is the best for fringe or deep fringe OTA? No satellite service.

The Hughes unit has gotten some raves that seem almost too good to believe.
post #835 of 843 Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Will doing a NVRAM reset on a HD300 lose all the 2.01 firmware? I've got a phone prefix I can't get rid of on a unit I bought to replace my Hd200 that took a lighting strike.

I thought that doing the reset would get rid of the phone prefix but I don't want to do it if I'd have to send the set off to Sony for the latest firmware.

Thanks,

Motleyfan
post #836 of 843 Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motleyfan View Post

Will doing a NVRAM reset on a HD300 lose all the 2.01 firmware? I've got a phone prefix I can't get rid of on a unit I bought to replace my Hd200 that took a lighting strike.

I thought that doing the reset would get rid of the phone prefix but I don't want to do it if I'd have to send the set off to Sony for the latest firmware.

Thanks,

Motleyfan

Nope, a reset simply clears everything. Whatever firmware is current will stay.
post #837 of 843 Old 08-11-2007, 02:54 PM

I had one other issue crop up with one of my HD300's. When the phone line is plugged in the modem opens the phone line within 20 seconds. We had some intermittent dialing (which I think was from the HD300) when we were using the phone for conversations. After a storm hit this week this particular 300 unit keeps the phone line in use whenver the phone cord is plugged into it. Would the NVRAM reset help with this?

Thanks also for the informational update on the previous post with the NVRAM reset. I didn't want to reset it and then have to send it back to Sony for the 2.01 update.

Motleyfan
post #838 of 843 Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Maybe, Motleyfan. Sounds more like the modem is fried, though.

However, when a modem gets fried, it doesn't usually put the line "in use".

Try this: Plug the phone line into the receiver and then unplug the POWER from the receiver. Theoretically, the line should get disconnected.

The 20 seconds thing puzzles me, though. It's like it's trying to phone home.

Bottom line: NVRAM reset certainly will not hurt the situation.

Funny, a ways back I had some quirky dialing while I was on the phone, too, but I never even thought it could be the HD300.
post #839 of 843 Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post

I have 3... 2 currently being used and I am very satisfied with the quality of the picture... I only use them for HD OTA.
post #840 of 843 Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

As I said...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page