Comcast Technology Topic - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 2035 Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
...Yes and just have a look at their almost 20 page "user agreement". Stuff you and I never agreed to for sure. This is what they have agreed to and it will take one a day to read and digest if one can at all. Must be a beautiful world to have no competitors...............
Exactly, that's another example of something made artificially over-complicated so that no one can understand it. Yeah, must be nice. It's weird though, as they have fierce competition in some markets, and spotty or none in others.
BiggAW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 2035 Old 02-22-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Here Comcast and all the other providers appear to have agreed to carve up market areas, and stay out of the others areas. There is competition with the dish type services but in reality they aren't that much different in price and usually their internet offerings if they have them are slower. Supposedly Google was going to enter the market with fiber and now they seem to be going in another direction. I was so hoping I could get Google fiber with everything way cheaper and faster but nothing has changed so far.
Dartman is offline  
post #1893 of 2035 Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Now 5G is suppose to bring competition to home Internet.

I'll reserve my judgement.
rcman2 and Keenan like this.
wco81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1894 of 2035 Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Deezul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Now 5G is suppose to bring competition to home Internet.

I'll reserve my judgement.
4G was supposed to mean HD streaming for everyone, and rates would drop. We see how that worked out.

One of the minor inconveniences of newer subdivisions burying all their cables is if they were built in the 90s, they laid coax, and so the cable company either has to decide it's worth the investment to dig everything up and put down fiber, or just do what they can with coax. My mother's house was built in the late 60s, so about 6 or 7 years ago, Verizon dug up the old lines and put down fiber. But she's happy with her Cox cable, and it's fast enough for her. I don't think my subdivision, laid out in the mid 90s, was done with fiber. So I'm on coax until either AT&T decides it's worth it, or Comcast gets in front of AT&T and does it. I will say that since all my cables are buried, I don't have power outages, and I can't remember the last time the cable went out.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
Deezul is offline  
post #1895 of 2035 Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
4G was supposed to mean HD streaming for everyone, and rates would drop. We see how that worked out.

One of the minor inconveniences of newer subdivisions burying all their cables is if they were built in the 90s, they laid coax, and so the cable company either has to decide it's worth the investment to dig everything up and put down fiber, or just do what they can with coax. My mother's house was built in the late 60s, so about 6 or 7 years ago, Verizon dug up the old lines and put down fiber. But she's happy with her Cox cable, and it's fast enough for her. I don't think my subdivision, laid out in the mid 90s, was done with fiber. So I'm on coax until either AT&T decides it's worth it, or Comcast gets in front of AT&T and does it. I will say that since all my cables are buried, I don't have power outages, and I can't remember the last time the cable went out.
If it was done right, it's all in conduit, but who knows what condition the conduit is in. We have a lot of underground, but it's a dozen houses here, two dozen there, and an occasional several dozen houses, and everything else is reliant on the main roads that are overhead.
BiggAW is offline  
post #1896 of 2035 Old 02-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
fvbounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alameda, Ca
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Got the Comcast XG1v4 DVR yesterday and after a short setup very happy with it, the 4K HDR Olympics on Demand is awesome, Netflix and YouTube in 4K is very good also, nice to have it all in one unit, my roku, fire TV, and Sony 4K Blu-ray player isn't going to get much use, now if Comcast can get a Amazon Prime video app, I'd be set! I know it sounds like I drank the kool aid but I'm actually happy with Comcast!

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
Xfinity 4K XG1v4 DVR
fvbounty is offline  
post #1897 of 2035 Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Got the Comcast XG1v4 DVR yesterday and after a short setup very happy with it, the 4K HDR Olympics on Demand is awesome, Netflix and YouTube in 4K is very good also, nice to have it all in one unit, my roku, fire TV, and Sony 4K Blu-ray player isn't going to get much use, now if Comcast can get a Amazon Prime video app, I'd be set! I know it sounds like I drank the kool aid but I'm actually happy with Comcast!
Either you haven't been switched to MPEG-4, you're blind, or you drank so much kool-aid spiked with Vodka that you can't tell how bad the VQ is.
fvbounty and Manisfive like this.
BiggAW is offline  
post #1898 of 2035 Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
fvbounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Alameda, Ca
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Either you haven't been switched to MPEG-4, you're blind, or you drank so much kool-aid spiked with Vodka that you can't tell how bad the VQ is.
Thank you for the kind words!
BiggAW and cydeweyz like this.

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
Xfinity 4K XG1v4 DVR
fvbounty is offline  
post #1899 of 2035 Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Member
 
MisterEd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
Well I called retentions, now customer loyalty, yesterday and for once they couldn't do anything about my bill unless I wanted to downgrade something or return gear. Apparently I'm still getting the promotion on the digital preferred triple play but between taxes and having 2 cable card devices plus a leftover bottom the line hd box it's jacking up my price. Guess I have to decide if it's cheaper to keep the old Samsung 530 cable card media player or return the card and keep the extra HD box.
I did ask what the XG1v4 would cost me to upgrade to and he said 9.95 a month. He did not know when or if a non DVR version would be released.
Guess I should load everything up and go to a service center and swap around everything for the best price to me. I don't need the DVR but if they give it to me for a much better locked in price I'd do it just for the eventual 4k support for my TV. My X1 non DVR box is locked in for free now and I own my modem so it's the cable card stuff and taxes that are killing my price.
I have the "HD PREFERRED XF BUNDLE" (non-X1 triple play) package that has been steadily going up the last couple years. I called the retention department to work out a new deal for a X1 package. I asked if I could still use my CableCARD tuner (Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650) I have for my PC. They said it would not work with the X1 service. They said I could still take advantage of the new X1 package but could keep all my old hardware. That means I will still have a non-X1 service even though the package is called "X1 PREFERRED TRIPLE PLAY". After this my bill is supposed to go down about $35-$40. I will see for sure when I get the actual bill about April 1st.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 03-02-2018 at 01:02 AM.
MisterEd51 is offline  
post #1900 of 2035 Old 03-04-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I have the "HD PREFERRED XF BUNDLE" (non-X1 triple play) package that has been steadily going up the last couple years. I called the retention department to work out a new deal for a X1 package. I asked if I could still use my CableCARD tuner (Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650) I have for my PC. They said it would not work with the X1 service. They said I could still take advantage of the new X1 package but could keep all my old hardware. That means I will still have a non-X1 service even though the package is called "X1 PREFERRED TRIPLE PLAY". After this my bill is supposed to go down about $35-$40. I will see for sure when I get the actual bill about April 1st.
They are quite simply lying to you. They told me the same thing about 2013 so like I said way up in this thread they told me it wouldn't work and refused to give me a X1 box and gave me a very basic HD box much worse then the big box I had before. I remembered the postcard they sent me saying fill this out online and use this code and we'll send you a X1 box free so did it that way, ordering a non DVR version. To this day it works just fine with all my Cable card devices, my HD HomeRun Prime and my Samsung 530 cable card media player box. Now I know they must be saying this crap just to get more folks renting their DVR boxes to make even more money.
Either order it online or go in and request a X1 box that you like and don't mention having any cable card stuff, IT DOES WORK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	2370432  
VideoGrabber likes this.
Dartman is offline  
post #1901 of 2035 Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Member
 
MisterEd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
They are quite simply lying to you. They told me the same thing about 2013 so like I said way up in this thread they told me it wouldn't work and refused to give me a X1 box and gave me a very basic HD box much worse then the big box I had before. I remembered the postcard they sent me saying fill this out online and use this code and we'll send you a X1 box free so did it that way, ordering a non DVR version. To this day it works just fine with all my Cable card devices, my HD HomeRun Prime and my Samsung 530 cable card media player box. Now I know they must be saying this crap just to get more folks renting their DVR boxes to make even more money.
Either order it online or go in and request a X1 box that you like and don't mention having any cable card stuff, IT DOES WORK.
By next year Google Fiber should be available to me. They told me that they don't allow customer owned equipment at all. That probably because they use IPTV where all services are on the Internet including TV. Is it possible that Comcast with its X1 platform is slowly transitioning to IPTV also? If they did they eventually would stop all support for the old non-X1 equipment including all CableCARD equipped devices.

Of course this is speculation on my part. The conspiracy theory part of me says that if it is true then they are quietly doing this to avoid notice by the public at large and government oversight. They might think that if they move fast and quietly enough that by the time Congress notices it will be a moot point. In other words by that time TV as we know it as distributed by cable will be gone. The mandate for the use of CableCARDs will be for a system that no longer exists.

BTW, SiliconDust has announced the HDHomeRun PRIME6 for a mid-2018 release. It has 6 tuners and will support all channels (even premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime) that you subscribe to. The only exception are the ones like On-Demand and Pay-For-View.

I would like to get the HDHomeRun PRIME6. I would be quite upset if I did and Comcast would not allow me to use it.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 03-04-2018 at 12:58 PM.
MisterEd51 is offline  
post #1902 of 2035 Old 03-04-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Google WAS coming here then it sorta just went away. I heard they had decided to go another route like wireless but I was so disappointed because it sounded like it would be way faster and cheaper to boot. Frontier here if your in the right area is offering fiber internet, friend has it with TV and is getting a gig up and down as soon as they fix his setup and has all the pay channels for a bit over 100 a month, no phone. I'm paying 180 for triple play with all the extra taxes and cable cards and things so might look into them and see if they offer service here as we could just drop phones and use our cells. They do support cable card and only charge 2 bucks a month extra for one.
Dartman is offline  
post #1903 of 2035 Old 03-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Member
 
MisterEd51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
Google WAS coming here then it sorta just went away. I heard they had decided to go another route like wireless but I was so disappointed because it sounded like it would be way faster and cheaper to boot. Frontier here if your in the right area is offering fiber internet, friend has it with TV and is getting a gig up and down as soon as they fix his setup and has all the pay channels for a bit over 100 a month, no phone. I'm paying 180 for triple play with all the extra taxes and cable cards and things so might look into them and see if they offer service here as we could just drop phones and use our cells. They do support cable card and only charge 2 bucks a month extra for one.
I live in Huntsville, AL (pop. 200,000). It appeared that Google Fiber was only going into cities with professional sports teams. Since our utility company was laying fiber citywide anyways Huntsville asked Google Fiber come and just lease our fiber infrastructure. They said yes and has started offering service last year. It will take several years for the fiber to be laid citywide and allow everyone to have access to Google Fiber.

BTW, we can thank Comcast for this because of their attempt a few years ago to merge with Time Warner Cable. Part of the process was to transfer their service in Huntsville to another small company. Huntsville became upset by this and scrambled for an alternative to Comcast with a desire to bring gigabit internet to our city. After they asked for bids from outside companies to build the fiber infrastructure our own utility company Huntsville Utilities stepped up and offered to do so.

Comcast needs to start treating customers better in Huntsville because they have competition here. We also can get TV and Internet from WOW, AT&T and now Google Fiber. In the next few years they will all have gigabit internet to offer.
MisterEd51 is offline  
post #1904 of 2035 Old 03-04-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
Google WAS coming here then it sorta just went away. I heard they had decided to go another route like wireless but I was so disappointed because it sounded like it would be way faster and cheaper to boot. Frontier here if your in the right area is offering fiber internet, friend has it with TV and is getting a gig up and down as soon as they fix his setup and has all the pay channels for a bit over 100 a month, no phone. I'm paying 180 for triple play with all the extra taxes and cable cards and things so might look into them and see if they offer service here as we could just drop phones and use our cells. They do support cable card and only charge 2 bucks a month extra for one.
Yeah not only are they bailing on the fiber, the Webpass wireless thing is only for apartment buildings, not single homes. Not even condos or townhouses in a lot of cases.

I think now, some people have higher hopes for 5G becoming alternatives to the cable monopolies.
wco81 is offline  
post #1905 of 2035 Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was wondering if someone can help me out. I just built a new home theater and was finally sent the XG1v4 box. When completed the HT will be setup for UHD and 4k, however this room is not our main location for watching TV.

Our modem and current X1 DVR box is located in our family room. I have two other bedrooms rooms hooked up to the X1 via wireless boxes. So my question:

Do I need to move the main box (XG1v4) to the HT to watch 4k content via netflix or can I use a wireless box in the HT and leave the main setup in my family room? Do I need to move the modem to the HT also if the XG1v4 needs to be setup there?



Thanks in advance for the assistance.
jpbb2003 is offline  
post #1906 of 2035 Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbb2003 View Post
I was wondering if someone can help me out. I just built a new home theater and was finally sent the XG1v4 box. When completed the HT will be setup for UHD and 4k, however this room is not our main location for watching TV.

Our modem and current X1 DVR box is located in our family room. I have two other bedrooms rooms hooked up to the X1 via wireless boxes. So my question:

Do I need to move the main box (XG1v4) to the HT to watch 4k content via netflix or can I use a wireless box in the HT and leave the main setup in my family room? Do I need to move the modem to the HT also if the XG1v4 needs to be setup there?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
1. You don't need the XG1v4 for Netflix. Roku, smart TV, FireTV, etc, will handle Netflix fine. If you want 4k Comcast content (what little there is) you'd need the XG1v4 in the HT.

2. The XG1v4 doesn't need to be with the gateway contraption. Since you have the wireless boxes, you need their crappy gateway contraption. If you can wire those boxes, you could use your own modem/router, but if not, the gateway should be somewhere centrally located for Wi-Fi, and close enough to the bedrooms to supply those boxes with a good wireless signal. If you can't do both, put the gateway near the bedrooms and either use Ethernet to put another AP or two for general Wi-Fi use, or get one of the good Netgear Wi-Fi extenders like the X4S or X6S.
gnk1 likes this.
BiggAW is offline  
post #1907 of 2035 Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
1. You don't need the XG1v4 for Netflix. Roku, smart TV, FireTV, etc, will handle Netflix fine. If you want 4k Comcast content (what little there is) you'd need the XG1v4 in the HT.

2. The XG1v4 doesn't need to be with the gateway contraption. Since you have the wireless boxes, you need their crappy gateway contraption. If you can wire those boxes, you could use your own modem/router, but if not, the gateway should be somewhere centrally located for Wi-Fi, and close enough to the bedrooms to supply those boxes with a good wireless signal. If you can't do both, put the gateway near the bedrooms and either use Ethernet to put another AP or two for general Wi-Fi use, or get one of the good Netgear Wi-Fi extenders like the X4S or X6S.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Very helpful.
BiggAW likes this.
jpbb2003 is offline  
post #1908 of 2035 Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 4,031
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I beleive this has already gone into effect. It has where I live in Maryland. Just power cycle your modem (off for about 30 seconds) to get the higher speed.

If you’re a Northeast Xfinity customer, your internet will soon be faster


If you’ve been complaining to everyone who will listen about the speed (or lack thereof) of your internet, it looks like someone important may have been listening. Comcast announced that it will be increasing download speeds for its customers in 14 states across the northeastern region of the United States, ranging from Maine to Virginia. If you’re an Xfinity internet user, you should soon be seeing an increase in internet speed, regardless of which of the four tiers of service you’re currently subscribed to. That said, there will be variations in just how muchfaster your internet gets depending on how much you’re paying. Folks who are subscribed to the premium plans, “Blast” and “Performance Pro,” can expect their download speeds to jump from 200 to 250 Mbps, and 150 to 200 Mbps, respectively. The more standard “Performance” tier will see its speed jump from 25 to 60 Mbps (which is technically the largest percent increase), while the most basic “Starter” tier will see a 50 percent increase from 10 to 15 Mbps.

Best of all, you won’t have to pay extra to get extra-fast internet. According to Comcast, as a result of this adjustment, 80 percent of Xfinity internet customers will soon be enjoying internet speeds of at least 150 Mbps. The speed increases are slated to begin rolling out over the course of April and in order to actually see the differences go into effect, you have to restart your modem.

If you’re not in the Northeast and wondering why you’ve been left out of this recent act of kindness, Comcast has the semblance of an answer for you. A spokesperson noted that it’s quite common for the company to implement changes first in a particular region before going national with a new plan. Folks in the Midwest actually received a speed increase in 2017, though the improvements were not exactly in line with these latest changes. In any case, we’re keeping our fingers crossed that the speed increases will soon roll out across the rest of the U.S., too.

As for the folks in the Northeast, keep in mind that while your download speeds will increase, there is no word on whether or not there will be any change in your upload speed.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ity-northeast/
PaulGo is offline  
post #1909 of 2035 Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I called them recently to see about dropping their internet and going with a new fiber company in my area. Its right outside my home and ready to install. 100 up and down for 50$ a month. I currently have a combo plan, TV and internet. The rep said I have to have their internet to use the X1 system. Was I fed a bunch of BS ?

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
post #1910 of 2035 Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 4,031
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 161
There are features and apps the use the internet so you would not have a full X1 experience without the internet. I guess it is a policy decision on the part of Comcast.
PaulGo is offline  
post #1911 of 2035 Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
There are features and apps the use the internet so you would not have a full X1 experience without the internet. I guess it is a policy decision on the part of Comcast.
My intention was getting the new internet service and maybe keeping their X1 service. I couldn't get a straight answer on how much I was paying for just the internet. Looking at the bill is no help. Confusing. I would like to get the new fiber internet service and go back to my Dish Hopper. Haven't had Dish in a few years and wonder if their On Demand service is as good as Comcast.

Haven't been on the Satellite Guys Site for a while. Will go there and do some inquiring.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
post #1912 of 2035 Old 03-09-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I called them recently to see about dropping their internet and going with a new fiber company in my area. Its right outside my home and ready to install. 100 up and down for 50$ a month. I currently have a combo plan, TV and internet. The rep said I have to have their internet to use the X1 system. Was I fed a bunch of BS ?
1. If you can DirecTV, get DirecTV it's better anyway.

2. Technically speaking, there is ZERO reason why X1 requires internet. X1 uses it's own built-in DSG modem to access Comcast's internal network via IPv6 on DOCSIS, not the public internet. If you didn't subscribe to their internet, I would expect them to turn off YouTube and Netflix, since you would be paying for that connectivity, even though there's again no technical reason that they would need to. All that being said, I don't think it is actually Comcast's policy to require internet for X1, but it is possible that they have made that policy/business decision independently of how X1 actually works.
Skytrooper likes this.
BiggAW is offline  
post #1913 of 2035 Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Great explanation, BiggAW. Netflix app is built into my LG OLED, and YouTube is on my PS3. I also seen somewhere on this site that Comcast is also raising speeds in our area at no extra cost. But I don’t think they can ever match the upload speed of fiber. Or is a high upload speed really necessary? Especially for me who may not really need a high upload speed. Decisions, decisions.

I’ll disagree with you about Dish vs Direct TV. The Dish Hopper is is a awesome DVR. Don’t know if the Genie has all the connections that the Hopper has. Comcast X1 is very lacking in connection options. The audio and component outs of the Hopper make it easy for me to connect my TV on my patio thru one Cat 5e Cable using baluns.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
post #1914 of 2035 Old 03-10-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Deezul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
1. If you can DirecTV, get DirecTV it's better anyway.
Depends on your definition of "better". I had DirecTV for years and could always count on losing the signal during heavy rain, and during a particularly cold winter, I was outside throwing hot water on the dish to melt the ice and snow.

My Comcast line is buried, and the only time I've ever had a Comcast issue is when a splitter outside died. My Comcast Internet or TV service has never been a problem. I have teenage sons, so I need the unlimited plan that Comcast gives me. Can't get that on D*.
tveli and fvbounty like this.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
Deezul is offline  
post #1915 of 2035 Old 03-11-2018, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
tveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: southern NH
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
not sure anyone is lying re the dcr-2650 and comcast tv service with or without x1. depends on what are the desired functionalities.

maybe there was a misunderstanding on the phone call plus more misunderstanding/different-assumptions by those of us discussing here .

recently i discovered that one can get the 'internet plus hbo' service without getting any comcast-owned hardware except a cablecard. years ago with that service locally i could only get the cable card as a cost add-on to the mandatory/minimal comcast SD/no-DVR qam tuner box with its caged-cablecard.

cablecard hd-dvr/moxi cannot decode mp4 but comcast kindly keeps hd ota local channels in mp2 for now.
we can get HD via hbo/etc app or xfinity app, and redundant/mostly-better HD OTA very nicely via Tablo....
tveli is offline  
post #1916 of 2035 Old 03-11-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BiggAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Great explanation, BiggAW. Netflix app is built into my LG OLED, and YouTube is on my PS3. I also seen somewhere on this site that Comcast is also raising speeds in our area at no extra cost. But I don’t think they can ever match the upload speed of fiber. Or is a high upload speed really necessary? Especially for me who may not really need a high upload speed. Decisions, decisions.

I’ll disagree with you about Dish vs Direct TV. The Dish Hopper is is a awesome DVR. Don’t know if the Genie has all the connections that the Hopper has. Comcast X1 is very lacking in connection options. The audio and component outs of the Hopper make it easy for me to connect my TV on my patio thru one Cat 5e Cable using baluns.
Thanks! They won't match the upload speed or low latency of fiber. Fiber is most likely a better internet connection, but it also comes down to the dollars and cents of it.

I was comparing Comcast to DirecTV, I don't even think about DISH, since I live in Connecticut, and they don't compete in our area (they will install but almost no one has them as they are missing a bunch of our sports channels). That being said, for people not in CT/NY, DISH is another option, but their video quality is widely regarded to be inferior to that of DirecTV, even though they are better than Comcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Depends on your definition of "better". I had DirecTV for years and could always count on losing the signal during heavy rain, and during a particularly cold winter, I was outside throwing hot water on the dish to melt the ice and snow.

My Comcast line is buried, and the only time I've ever had a Comcast issue is when a splitter outside died. My Comcast Internet or TV service has never been a problem. I have teenage sons, so I need the unlimited plan that Comcast gives me. Can't get that on D*.
DirecTV has objectively better video quality and number of HD channels. Of course there could be some neighboring locals or other local/regional content (like NECN in New England) that Comcast has and DirecTV doesn't, but otherwise DirecTV is the clear victor. If you're loosing signal during heavy rain more than a couple times a year, your dish isn't installed correctly. Yes, there are some bundling discounts, but I don't think that they discount the Unlimited data, which is a separate add-on you can get with internet only? I'm not really sure, as we don't have Comcast caps in the Northeast (thank you Verizon).
BiggAW is offline  
post #1917 of 2035 Old 03-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Member
 
gnk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Volume variations with XG1v4?

I have only had the XG1v4 DVR for about a week. Several times now the volume has either gone silent (not muted) or diminished. A couple of times it was during a commercial and then it resumed afterward (that would be a great feature), other times when changing a channel the newly tuned channel had no volume at all or was a lot softer. A restart from the menu helped for a while, but a day later it did it again a couple times

Has anyone else noticed this?
gnk1 is offline  
post #1918 of 2035 Old 03-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
SL600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnk1 View Post
I have only had the XG1v4 DVR for about a week. Several times now the volume has either gone silent (not muted) or diminished. A couple of times it was during a commercial and then it resumed afterward (that would be a great feature), other times when changing a channel the newly tuned channel had no volume at all or was a lot softer. A restart from the menu helped for a while, but a day later it did it again a couple times

Has anyone else noticed this?
No problems here. Had the XG1v4 for about 2-3 months. Unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable at both ends.

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820

Last edited by SL600; 03-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.
SL600 is offline  
post #1919 of 2035 Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
sonofsoren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnk1 View Post
I have only had the XG1v4 DVR for about a week. Several times now the volume has either gone silent (not muted) or diminished. A couple of times it was during a commercial and then it resumed afterward (that would be a great feature), other times when changing a channel the newly tuned channel had no volume at all or was a lot softer. A restart from the menu helped for a while, but a day later it did it again a couple times

Has anyone else noticed this?
No problems here. Had the XG1v4 for about 2-3 months. Unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable at both ends.
I have had mine for about 1 month and the only problem I encountered was that it was initially set to sleep after 4 hours and the lack of commands with the Logitech Harmony Elite remote that I have to turn it on after that and all I had was a blank screen. You can also try a hard reset by unplugging the unit for 2 minutes and then plugging it back in. Also, you may need to check your audio setting to make sure they match your equipment.


LG 75UH8500 Marantz AV8802A Monster Power PRO ATI AT543NC/AT528NC Oppo UDP-205 Rega RP-8 Xbox One X Xfinity X1V4 4K HDR DVR Slingbox 500 Sonos Connect Amp Apple TV4K Roku Ultra Amazon Fire TVII Nvidia Shield Mac Mini
Adcom GFS-3 Speaker Selector Golden Ear Triton Ref 11.2 SVS SB16x2
sonofsoren is offline  
post #1920 of 2035 Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Member
 
Manisfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have had the XG1v4 box for a while now. The 4k upscaling sucks. Seems like the color space is messed up. Reds are blown out and faces seem flush. Has anybody noticed this and if so found a fix?
Manisfive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off