Comcast Technology Topic - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 237Likes

post #1951 of 2087 Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

You recorded them and they show up on your local DVR but not Cloud DVR?

Correct. Comcast does not have the ability to put every show and every season into the cloud for on demand streaming in every market. If they did they’d be unstoppable. Contracts, regulations and technical limitations all make it impossible. Fortunately we can record on our DVR’s though, but we can’t even set recordings over the Internet anymore because of TiVo patents Comcast won’t pay and play with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2087 Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Correct. Comcast does not have the ability to put every show and every season into the cloud for on demand streaming in every market. If they did they’d be unstoppable. Contracts, regulations and technical limitations all make it impossible. Fortunately we can record on our DVR’s though, but we can’t even set recordings over the Internet anymore because of TiVo patents Comcast won’t pay and play with.
That's... bizarre. They must be using single copies of the shows replicated to each user who wants it, not individual cloud storage, as then they could do it with all channels. It makes sense I guess, as it significantly reduces the amount of storage needed.

Yeah, I'm conflicted about the TiVo patents. I don't like either side. Comcast did a crappy job ripping off TiVo to make a far inferior DVR service, but TiVo has a history of borderline patent trolling behavior, so I'm not a fan of either in this situation.
post #1953 of 2087 Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I just received a notice with my Comcast bill: "Effective May 15th you will be able to view your digital preferred channels ... with a digital adapter at no additional charge". No premium channels (I assume like HBO) or on demand.

The notice about the addition of the digital preferred channels was implemented. I now have these channels on my DTA's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2087 Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
TNT not working for warriors and rockets game tonight. Channel won’t come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1955 of 2087 Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarcy View Post
TNT not working for warriors and rockets game tonight. Channel won’t come on.

If you are a Warriors fan, like I, you aren't missing anything. Watching on TNT in temp. home in Miami on Comcast.
post #1956 of 2087 Old 05-17-2018, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
If you are a Warriors fan, like I, you aren't missing anything. Watching on TNT in temp. home in Miami on Comcast.

I’m a celtics fan lol.

tveli likes this.
post #1957 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
All Comcast markets that have been converted to MPEG-4 have sub-DVD picture quality. If you haven't been converted yet, you will be, and you will suffer too.

Ugh. The idea of having cell phone and phone bundled in too is just too much.
free verizon cellphone service is a nice bonus of comcast internet.
the idea of actual free stuff is a bit unusual alright. it's ok to voluntarily pay extra.
my math tells me that we should all be paid approximately $4.19 per month by the cellphone carriers rather than us paying them or getting free service. (the carriers should pay us a cut of the take they get by selling our marketing/advertising/etc/etc/etc info.)

as for mpeg4 quality issues, they do not apply to locals/OTA channels via comcast - those remain mpeg2/full-quality 1080i or 720p so far.

also i don't see mpeg4 issues on the various cable channels on HBO+internet plan, because moxi can't transcode accordingly. It's no worry because it turns out that 2160p vs. 1080i vs 480i doesn't change the gross-out factor for our favorite show, _Extremely Botched Extreme Hoarders_ . i'd actually like to down-res it to 240i sometimes, or maybe just 4 pixels total. Hmm, maybe i should just listen to it as a podcast instead. :|
fvbounty likes this.
post #1958 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
free verizon cellphone service is a nice bonus of comcast internet.
the idea of actual free stuff is a bit unusual alright. it's ok to voluntarily pay extra.
my math tells me that we should all be paid approximately $4.19 per month by the cellphone carriers rather than us paying them or getting free service. (the carriers should pay us a cut of the take they get by selling our marketing/advertising/etc/etc/etc info.)
Yes, if you have Comcast internet, you can get xfinitymobile. It can be a pretty good deal depending on what your other internet options are, if any.

Quote:
as for mpeg4 quality issues, they do not apply to locals/OTA channels via comcast - those remain mpeg2/full-quality 1080i or 720p so far.
But then you may as well put an antenna up and be on your way.

Quote:
also i don't see mpeg4 issues on the various cable channels on HBO+internet plan, because moxi can't transcode accordingly. It's no worry because it turns out that 2160p vs. 1080i vs 480i doesn't change the gross-out factor for our favorite show, _Extremely Botched Extreme Hoarders_ . i'd actually like to down-res it to 240i sometimes, or maybe just 4 pixels total. Hmm, maybe i should just listen to it as a podcast instead. :|
At that point, you might want to watch SD haha. Actually, I find SD on Comcast easier to watch than their HD, as it's consistent, unlike the HD, which is great one second (still scene) and a disaster the next (movement).
tveli likes this.
post #1959 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked: 944
What free Verizon cell phone service?

Around here Comcast mobile charges per GB while everyone else has "unlimited" plans.
post #1960 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
What free Verizon cell phone service?

Around here Comcast mobile charges per GB while everyone else has "unlimited" plans.
Xfinity Moblie uses the Verizon network. Not surprising since there used to be a Verizon/Comcast bundle. So Comcast simple became a reseller of Verizon service and due to their volume, they probably got a good rate.

I guess the $45 unlimited is only available in certain areas. Where I'm at it's available, but my girlfriend switched to by the GB because she used no more than 3 GB a month. If you're using Wi-Fi most of the time, by the GB may be better. We looked at her usage for 6 months, and it was cheaper to switch.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #1961 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked: 944
But it's not free is it?

Unless somehow the bundle price with Comcast Mobile is no different than the bundle price without it?

They were advertising it a lot as well as sending mailers constantly. Didn't seem like it was something they were tossing in as part of TV/Internet bundle.
post #1962 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Well I have a Nexus 6P on Google Fi and my average bill is $27 a month including taxes, I heard that Xfinity is going to let other android phones to get on there cell service sometime this summer (I hope), I'll jump in, I don't ever use over a gig a month, most of the time about 2 thirds of a gig, so I would be saving about $12 a month and being on the Verizon network is a big plus compared to T-Mobil or Sprint, for me its a no brainier! If you use a lot of data then its not that good of a deal!

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
Xfinity 4K XG1v4 DVR
post #1963 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
But it's not free is it?

Unless somehow the bundle price with Comcast Mobile is no different than the bundle price without it?

They were advertising it a lot as well as sending mailers constantly. Didn't seem like it was something they were tossing in as part of TV/Internet bundle.
The cell phone service is "free." The data isn't free. But in order to get the "free" cell service, you have to sign up for one of the data plans.
post #1964 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Gotta check out this cell phone thing.

Also I see on Comcast Labs, they added Smart Resume for Recordings. Didn’t try it yet. Maybe it’s like the Dish Hopper. But they still didn’t add what I want back most, HDMI/CEC.
cydeweyz likes this.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #1965 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Also I see on Comcast Labs, they added Smart Resume for Recordings. Didn’t try it yet. Maybe it’s like the Dish Hopper. But they still didn’t add what I want back most, HDMI/CEC.

Agree, but this works well. I’m guessing this will get popular and get pulled from us as well.
post #1966 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I found this and turned it on, but how does it work? With the X1, I usually just press the voice button and say "skip forward three minutes" and that just about does it for network TV. Is this feature somehow better or easier at eliminating all commercials.
post #1967 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
I found this and turned it on, but how does it work? With the X1, I usually just press the voice button and say "skip forward three minutes" and that just about does it for network TV. Is this feature somehow better or easier at eliminating all commercials.
If you are watching a show that has yellow in the timeline, those are the commercials. Once you get to a commercial break, just fast forward as fast as you want. It will automatically start the show at the end of the break-
crossbeaux and Skytrooper like this.
post #1968 of 2087 Old 05-20-2018, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The cell phone service is "free." The data isn't free. But in order to get the "free" cell service, you have to sign up for one of the data plans.
You get 100MB of free shared data. "Free" as in included with your absurdly overpriced home internet from Comcast. After that it's $12/GB. Calls and texts are "free". I think there are some regulatory fees you have to pay, totally a couple bucks a month, depending on the state.
post #1969 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

my comcast home internet is not overpriced absurdly or non-absurdly, although I'd prefer half the data-rate for half the price.

currently it's $77 for 80Mbits/sec download data-rate, plus digital-economy TV channels plus HBO, plus free cellphone service. i almost never use cellular data, i leave it turned off so my better-half can use the 200M free cellular data.

we do watch/record SD channels from comcast...
HBO app still provides HD via ROKU even though i pay comcast no HD-tech fee.

as for putting up an antenna, i did that 17 years ago and have used a variety of tuners/DTVs/HD-DVRs since then. the antenna setup is nice but it doesn't work in all weather for me.
post #1970 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So it sounds like I may have gotten some of this wrong about Comcast cell service. I assumed you had to purchase a particular smart phone to use the service. Is there any way to use an el-cheapo non-smart phone with this service, just to have an emergency backup phone in the car?
post #1971 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
You get 100MB of free shared data. "Free" as in included with your absurdly overpriced home internet from Comcast. After that it's $12/GB. Calls and texts are "free". I think there are some regulatory fees you have to pay, totally a couple bucks a month, depending on the state.
Actually, you can get Comcast mobile phone service for free. Simply do not use their data plan. Instead shut off the data portion and use WiFi exclusively. This will provide unlimited text and unlimited phone calls and, with WiFi, unlimited data. The 100mb of free data is quite sufficient if you only use it for system upgrades and nothing else.

There are only two drawbacks:

1. You won't be able to use apps like Google Maps while on the road, but you can use offline maps as a substitute.

2. You have to buy their phone to use the service.

The requirement to buy a Comcast phone means that the service is not truly free. Your price of admission is their phone.
I toyed with the idea of getting a second phone for free, but the cost of the phones turned me off.
post #1972 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post
my comcast home internet is not overpriced absurdly or non-absurdly, although I'd prefer half the data-rate for half the price.

currently it's $77 for 80Mbits/sec download data-rate, plus digital-economy TV channels plus HBO, plus free cellphone service. i almost never use cellular data, i leave it turned off so my better-half can use the 200M free cellular data.
Around here, Comcast is absurdly overpriced for internet. It's $75/mo for broadband, and $93/mo for Blast! Lack of competition is how you end up with prices that are double what they should be.

Quote:
So it sounds like I may have gotten some of this wrong about Comcast cell service. I assumed you had to purchase a particular smart phone to use the service. Is there any way to use an el-cheapo non-smart phone with this service, just to have an emergency backup phone in the car?
The LG X Charge (or X Power, I can't remember which is the Verizon one and which is the GSM one) is $150. That would serve as a backup phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey David View Post
Actually, you can get Comcast mobile phone service for free. Simply do not use their data plan. Instead shut off the data portion and use WiFi exclusively. This will provide unlimited text and unlimited phone calls and, with WiFi, unlimited data. The 100mb of free data is quite sufficient if you only use it for system upgrades and nothing else.

There are only two drawbacks:

1. You won't be able to use apps like Google Maps while on the road, but you can use offline maps as a substitute.

2. You have to buy their phone to use the service.

The requirement to buy a Comcast phone means that the service is not truly free. Your price of admission is their phone.
I toyed with the idea of getting a second phone for free, but the cost of the phones turned me off.
There are still some taxes and regulatory fees I believe. System upgrades can be done over Wi-Fi. I'm thinking about getting a line with the 100MB for travel, so if my regular 20GB postpaid AT&T line doesn't have service, I can user Verizon, virtually guaranteeing my service anywhere there is service. I might get a Tracfone SIM, but Xfinity Mobile would likely be a lot cheaper, even if I use a gig or two once or twice a year when in some middle of nowhere place.

Right now, you can BYOD iPhones but not Android phones. I don't think you can BYOD an AT&T iPhone 8, even though they work on Verizon. I want BYOD Android. I should have gotten the $1 phone when they were offering them, but I missed the boat on that deal. The LG X Charge is kind of crappy phone, but it's got a giant battery. Instead, I'll get an unlocked roamer phone for international use with local SIMs, as well as Xfinity Mobile when traveling in the US.

Xfinity Mobile is an interesting service, but it seems like they're still working the bugs out in some ways.
post #1973 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The LG X Charge (or X Power, I can't remember which is the Verizon one and which is the GSM one) is $150. That would serve as a backup phone.
I just chatted with Comcast and they claimed the only phones they currently support are iPhones. Even though I found this LG page that describes an LG X Charge phone specifically for Xfinity wireless. So now I'm even more confused.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-...xfinity-mobile
post #1974 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just chatted with Comcast and they claimed the only phones they currently support are iPhones. Even though I found this LG page that describes an LG X Charge phone specifically for Xfinity wireless. So now I'm even more confused.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-...xfinity-mobile
Both statements are true. They only support iPhones for BYOD. They sell their own LG X Charge and some other Android phones, including Galaxy S8/9 that work on Xfinity Mobile.

EDIT: A bunch of people have also bought the LG X Charge just to get a SIM, and have swapped into other Android phones. The LG X Charge will work on Verizon prepaid, so they probably sold it or gave it away or something.
crossbeaux likes this.
post #1975 of 2087 Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually, you can get Comcast mobile phone service for free. Simply do not use their data plan. Instead shut off the data portion and use WiFi exclusively. This will provide unlimited text
I'm only 99% certain, but text messages with pictures or other attachments, or with more than 1 party in the session, requires MMS which requires a data plan and that it be active. Not always MUCH data, but data none-the-less.

Quote:
sorta accurate. Google maps, IF YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'LL BE, can be downloaded on WiFi and used without a cellular data plan. I did so with an Android tablet and iPad. I believe they "go stale" 30 days after downloading, but haven't used mine in a while. And you mention offline maps; I'm pretty sure there are some that, while they may also "go stale", notify you that's happening and suggest freshening while you are on WiFi.
post #1976 of 2087 Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
I'm only 99% certain, but text messages with pictures or other attachments, or with more than 1 party in the session, requires MMS which requires a data plan and that it be active. Not always MUCH data, but data none-the-less.

sorta accurate. Google maps, IF YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'LL BE, can be downloaded on WiFi and used without a cellular data plan. I did so with an Android tablet and iPad. I believe they "go stale" 30 days after downloading, but haven't used mine in a while. And you mention offline maps; I'm pretty sure there are some that, while they may also "go stale", notify you that's happening and suggest freshening while you are on WiFi.
Xfinity has hotspots all over--they use private modems set to allow public use. In fact, the reason you must use their phones is that they the phones prioritize web calling over network calling. That said, I was only discussing using their phone service as a second phone or emergency backup and not as a primary phone. Also, it will serve quite well as a substitute home phone as it will never use any data so long as you are near your home modem.

As to texts: 100mb equals 1000 texts. For a second emergency phone that should be quite adequate.

I don't know what the fees are, but I'm sure that they would be less than a service plan from any other carrier.

Again, I must emphasize that I was not discussing the merits of making this your primary phone--that is for another discussion. I was only pointing out a way to "game" the system in order to get free (well, almost given the fees) phone service.
post #1977 of 2087 Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Xfinity has hotspots all over--they use private modems set to allow public use. In fact, the reason you must use their phones is that they the phones prioritize web calling over network calling. That said, I was only discussing using their phone service as a second phone or emergency backup and not as a primary phone. Also, it will serve quite well as a substitute home phone as it will never use any data so long as you are near your home modem.

As to texts: 100mb equals 1000 texts. For a second emergency phone that should be quite adequate.

I don't know what the fees are, but I'm sure that they would be less than a service plan from any other carrier.

Again, I must emphasize that I was not discussing the merits of making this your primary phone--that is for another discussion. I was only pointing out a way to "game" the system in order to get free (well, almost given the fees) phone service.
Yeah, that's the situation I'm in, trying to get the best deal on a secondary phone. Currently I am grandfathered into an old TMobile pre-paid plan that lets me rollover all my minutes if I pay at least $10 a year for more minutes. Since I hardly ever use the phone, $10 a year is a great price for cell service. However, TMobile coverage is sparse in my neighborhood, and I don't have a signal at my house with that old phone (emergencies usually happen away from home, so not the biggest problem). But to get coverage at home, I could upgrade to a 4G LTE non-smart phone, which I think (they swear) will work at my house, for about $80. Or I could switch over to Xfinity, buy the least expensive phone they support (an LG X Charge for $150) and at least have some smart phone capabilities too.
post #1978 of 2087 Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are working on BYOD, their provisioning is still in beta-ish. They're working the bugs out. They'll get there eventually.

Quote:
SMS is transmitted as data, but not billed as data unless you're using VoWiFi on a home internet connection in which case, with no overhead, you could send over 6 billion pages worth of texts a month on a 1TB data cap, assuming no overhead, but the IMS overhead is probably well in excess of the actual SMS data.

Quote:
Although your technical understanding of how data is billed is out of whack, your point remains valid. At $12/GB, having a Verizon backup phone for a main AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint line is a great deal. If you only use <1.1GB/mo, and use it as your main phone it's still a great deal, as you're basically paying about $15/mo after taxes and fees for Verizon coverage with BYOD iPhone. The only big downside I see, other than lack of BYOD Android or VoWiFi on Android, is that their international roaming rates suck, so if that's a big deal, this probably isn't the service for you.

Last edited by BiggAW; 05-23-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Quotes
post #1979 of 2087 Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Audio/Video Enthusiast

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

I swear I'm going to use my X14K blah blah blah box as a frisbee if they don't put that back. With Comcast Labs "HDMI Link" I had achieved the perfect one remote solution (for the wife) so the TV Input Button on the XR15 remote was switching the sound bar inputs rather than the TV inputs!

Now we're back to two remotes and a call from the other room "The TV is broken" every time she turns on the system to watch whatever junk that is on cable she watches :-)
post #1980 of 2087 Old 05-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

SMS are not "data" in the cellular-data lingo; SMS do not require a cellular data connection whatsoever.

xfinity-vereyezon-mobile MMS are free/unlimited and use cellular data without billing for it. Billing for data and actual data use are two independent things controllable by your phone's software.

No xfinity-vereyezon MMS over wifi yet as far as I know. MMS over wifi remains a nifty TBD thing. I haven't tested for it lately or seen anyone mention it.

Here's a nice feature which already happened: S8 interoperable HD-volce.

Last edited by tveli; 05-28-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page