Comcast Technology Topic - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #2011 of 2038 Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
So you're going to pay for Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, CBS All Access, Disney+, FX plus, HBO Go, Showtime to Go, DC Universe, and who knows what else, and end up with a streaming bill that's now more than it was when you just had cable. Plus if you only option for Internet IS Comcast, then you'll get a Double or Triple play package and still be cheaper. It's already happened for some people who thought they'd save a buck and cut the cord. Yes, you can probably decide that on certain months you'll subscribe to group of services, but then you're busy managing 15 subscriptions instead of 1. Cable TV is going to be around for a while. I have no problems with my quality, or maybe my eyes are failing me. Netflix just raised their prices, Amazon Prime just went from $99 to $119 a year, and once the other streamers get a large number of shows and eyeballs, watch them raise their prices. Hulu is the outlier having dropped their price, but don't be surprised that once they get several more big hits on their hands and have a captive audience they'll raise their price again.
Deezul -
your logic fails me!
We paid for Amazon for years before cutting the cord two years ago. We only need to subscribe to one streaming service, not all of them. (YTTV)
$35 a month. We pay extra for HBOGo. The channels we get via Roku are free like Comedy Central etc.. Internet is from Google-$25 a month because all the units in our building are subscribed. We get Netflix for free via T-Mobile offer.
We were obtained Comcast about $85 a month for a fairly basic tier.
Of course many people are stuck with Comcast, at least for Internet, because they are the only provider in many areas. Many people are hoping that 5G will be a real option for home Internet. We should know about that by the end of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2038 Old 02-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Deezul -
your logic fails me!
We paid for Amazon for years before cutting the cord two years ago. We only need to subscribe to one streaming service, not all of them. (YTTV)
$35 a month. We pay extra for HBOGo. The channels we get via Roku are free like Comedy Central etc.. Internet is from Google-$25 a month because all the units in our building are subscribed. We get Netflix for free via T-Mobile offer.
We were obtained Comcast about $85 a month for a fairly basic tier.
Of course many people are stuck with Comcast, at least for Internet, because they are the only provider in many areas. Many people are hoping that 5G will be a real option for home Internet. We should know about that by the end of the year.
YOU don't need to subscribe to multiple streaming services, but plenty of people want to watch Stranger Things, The Handmaid's Tale, Jack Ryan, and Game of Thrones, That's 4 services right there. And since PQ is a big deal, let's assume it is for this other subscriber. UHD for Netflix - $16, Amazon Prime - $10, Hulu with no ads & HBO - $27. That's $53. And Google has stopped their fiber role out, so maybe AT&T or Comcast is available with fiber in your area, but if not you're going the Cable route for Internet. A decent speed for me is $50 a month, and that's for the first year, with a data cap. $25 more to remove the cap. Now I'm at $128 a month for four services and Internet. But I have someone who wants to watch sports. I can either go up to a $50 a month Hulu plan that includes live TV, and hope I don't want regional sports channels, or Go for the two year plan from Comcast that's $70 a year for TV and Internet. But I still keep those streaming services. So again, I'm at $123 for the first 2 years with a double play, or $151 for just Internet and those streaming services with live TV from Hulu.

Remember when 3G was supposed to be the fastest available phone Internet, and everyone had unlimited bandwidth? Don't expect unlimited bandwidth to be available on 5G, or if it is, it's going to cost. I would suspect that no 5G provider is going to offer unlimited at all - they don't want to get bit in the ass again. Or if they do offer "unlimited" it will be throttled at some point, and it will be clear from day one that you agree to throttling when you reach your caps. The radio waves only have so much bandwidth before you start having interference or saturation.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #2013 of 2038 Old 02-14-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
So you're going to pay for Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, CBS All Access, Disney+, FX plus, HBO Go, Showtime to Go, DC Universe, and who knows what else, and end up with a streaming bill that's now more than it was when you just had cable. Plus if you only option for Internet IS Comcast, then you'll get a Double or Triple play package and still be cheaper. It's already happened for some people who thought they'd save a buck and cut the cord. Yes, you can probably decide that on certain months you'll subscribe to group of services, but then you're busy managing 15 subscriptions instead of 1. Cable TV is going to be around for a while. I have no problems with my quality, or maybe my eyes are failing me. Netflix just raised their prices, Amazon Prime just went from $99 to $119 a year, and once the other streamers get a large number of shows and eyeballs, watch them raise their prices. Hulu is the outlier having dropped their price, but don't be surprised that once they get several more big hits on their hands and have a captive audience they'll raise their price again.
You sound like the MSOs with that load of bull. You are making a series of logical errors, the same ones that some MSOs, like Cox, use in their propaganda hit jobs against cord cutting. Others, like Verizon, are much more honest, and advertise their internet service. There are a number of problems with your not-logic. For one, Netflix is pretty essential to have anyway, since they have a lot of original content that isn't on cable in the first place, hence why Comcast boxes have Netflix and Amazon Prime apps on them. Secondly, Amazon Prime probably wouldn't be worthwhile as a video streaming service, but it's a freebie that virtually everyone has so that they can get stuff shipped to them in 2 days. Hulu, while it doesn't have nearly as many original shows, is in the same category as Netflix, but most people don't need to keep a subscription continuously to it. I have it for the next year, as I got the BF special for $.99/mo, but after that I'll cancel. Few people are going to have all of those streaming services, and you can't add HBO and Showtime to the mix, since they are Premium channels that you have to pay extra for through Comcast or any other MVPD anyway.

Once you get past the dishonesty and not-logic in your post, you get down to cost. In terms of the total cost, cord cutting usually cuts out around $70-$120/mo, but it can depend on the person and providers available. Yes, Comcast bundles aggressively, and there isn't a huge cost advantage if you're going to go and replace the cord with a service like YTTV or DTVN, but if you actually cut the cord fully and only subscribe to OTT SVOD services, you will come out way ahead by cutting the cord. Comcast's video quality is objectively terrible, not just the fact that more than half of the channels are downrezzed by more than half by going from 1080i to 720, but also by the fact that Comcast uses bit-starved CBR encoding that results in sports and movies losing a huge amount of clarity and fidelity.

With streaming services, you can jump around, you can binge from one service for a while and then drop it and go to another, you can re-adjust whenever, and if something gets too expensive, people will drop it. With all the apps available, it creates a near perfect market for competition, which will either keep prices down, create much better and more content, or some combination of the two.

I boiled down cord cutting in this Reddit post, which lays out what cord cutting is, and what the types of content are with great clarity. Once you break them down this way, you have to realize that as other people realize this, cable will continue dying. It's not dead yet just because of inertia, but the business model has become fundamentally unsustainable, and now that there are a ton of other options of where to get content, people are moving their eyeball-hours elsewhere. That's the one thing I would add to my post about the "in-between" channels. People are not necessarily watching the exact same content on streaming. People have a certain number of eyeball-hours for TV, and some people are moving to alternate source of entertainment, like YouTube, or even gaming. With a finite amount of eyeball-hours, gains for Netflix and Amazon, but also YouTube and gaming mean less for traditional TV.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters...ween_channels/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2038 Old 02-14-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Deezul -
your logic fails me!
It's not that Deezul's logic fails you, it's that Deezul's "logic" isn't logic at all. It's dishonest nonsense that sounds like it came from an MSO.

Quote:
Even if you're paying Comcast $75/mo, you still come out ahead cutting the cord, since their Triple Play bundle might be $150/mo, but then there's another ~$30/mo in various fees tacked on that aren't there with internet-only.

Deezul, I should also add to your previous post that the management and discovery problems don't go away, even with the biggest mondo-bundle of cable. Even if you have HBO, Showtime, and Netflix in your mondo-bundle that's $250/mo or whatever it is, you've still got Hulu and Amazon out there, and Netflix and Amazon are still living in balkanized, siloed worlds from a content and management perspective. Even on X1, you still don't know when a new show is available on one of those services, so it only partially fixes the management issue, and X1 doesn't support some other apps, so you still end up with the X1 box and another box.

Quote:
YOU don't need to subscribe to multiple streaming services, but plenty of people want to watch Stranger Things, The Handmaid's Tale, Jack Ryan, and Game of Thrones, That's 4 services right there.
That's completely nonsensical logic to use against cord cutting, as if you have Comcast and want to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and HBO, you still have to subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and HBO. Sure, you can bill HBO through Comcast, but it's still $15/mo extra unless you have the mondo-bundle, in which case you're pay way more than any cord cutter ever would in the first place, and still don't have Hulu and Amazon.

Quote:
And since PQ is a big deal, let's assume it is for this other subscriber. UHD for Netflix - $16, Amazon Prime - $10, Hulu with no ads & HBO - $27. That's $53.
You don't need the UHD plan to get HD, and Netflix's HD is far, far better than Comcast's "HD" that looks barely DVD-quality. That being said, it doesn't really matter, since Netflix is only included in the Comcast mondo-bundle, so for the vast majority of customers, it's still extra above and beyond Comcast. So let's be honest with the calculations here. If your Triple Play bundle is $180/mo after all the crap fees they tack on, and internet-only is $75/mo with no crap fees, you're still adding $53/mo to either one, so your logic is not logic, it's a lie.

Quote:
And Google has stopped their fiber role out, so maybe AT&T or Comcast is available with fiber in your area, but if not you're going the Cable route for Internet. A decent speed for me is $50 a month, and that's for the first year, with a data cap. $25 more to remove the cap. Now I'm at $128 a month for four services and Internet. But I have someone who wants to watch sports. I can either go up to a $50 a month Hulu plan that includes live TV, and hope I don't want regional sports channels, or Go for the two year plan from Comcast that's $70 a year for TV and Internet. But I still keep those streaming services. So again, I'm at $123 for the first 2 years with a double play, or $151 for just Internet and those streaming services with live TV from Hulu.
If you're going to insist on replacing the cord, you end up at about a wash for a single TV, and a slight savings for multiple TVs. But that's not the discussion. The discussion was actually cutting the cord and just using OTA and OTT SVOD services. However, even if you replace the cord, you can cancel and re-subscribe at any time, so you can cancel in the off season of whatever sports you watch and re-subscribe the next season, potentially saving a LOT of money. $70/mo is a teaser rate, and it's not going to last. The regular rate is something around $150/mo for the mid-range Double or Triple Play. And don't forget $12/mo or whatever Hulu is these days on top of the Comcast bill to get their OTT SVOD library if Hulu is your thing.

Quote:
Remember when 3G was supposed to be the fastest available phone Internet, and everyone had unlimited bandwidth? Don't expect unlimited bandwidth to be available on 5G, or if it is, it's going to cost. I would suspect that no 5G provider is going to offer unlimited at all - they don't want to get bit in the ass again. Or if they do offer "unlimited" it will be throttled at some point, and it will be clear from day one that you agree to throttling when you reach your caps. The radio waves only have so much bandwidth before you start having interference or saturation.
Verizon already did do Unlimited 5G. Whether it will last remains to be seen. Since they're trying to draw customers away from cable, I'd say they will at least have larger caps and a more lenient capping policy than cable to compete.
post #2015 of 2038 Old 02-20-2019, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 4203
Enough sniping. Stick to a professional discussion of the topic, please.
Steff3, cydeweyz, rabbit73 and 1 others like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2016 of 2038 Old 02-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

More bickering, profanity and off-topic posts removed.

Not going to warn anymore. READ THE TOPIC TITLE. This isn't the thread to discuss pricing policies or bash the company. Or each other, for that matter.
tveli, Mikef5, PaulGo and 5 others like this.

post #2017 of 2038 Old 03-12-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Comcast says X1 video platform could show up on less expensive hardware

Comcast’s X1 video platform today is typically associated with the cable provider’s premium and pricey cable bundles and high-end customer premises equipment. But Comcast may be looking at ways to expand X1 to other devices.

Comcast Cable CEO Dave Watson, speaking today at a Deutsche Bank investor conference, said X1 is extendable and called it a platform that can go “deeper into other profitable segments.”

“We’ll look for ways to extend X1 into more broadband-focused segments over time,” Watson said. That means the X1 platform experience could be run on less expensive hardware solutions that may have an easier time reaching other video segments.

Watson also wanted to make it clear that the entire video category is very competitive in a couple of different ways. But he said that X1 is positioned well in the market as a platform for aggregating a lot of disparate video services.

“If I’m a direct-to-consumer video provider, I’d want to be on X1,” said Watson. “We’ll think about those applications over time. But at the same time, because of all this consumer choice, we’re just not going to chase video. We’ll stay very centered on broadband, package video where it makes sense and do that properly.”

When asked about trends in video net adds in the near-term, Watson didn’t give specific guidance but did warn that the video marketplace will remain tough and competitive.
“We’re simply not going to chase unprofitable video segments,” Watson said.

During the most recent quarter, Comcast brought down its net video subscriber losses to 29,000, a small improvement over the 33,000 it lost one year ago. But after factoring in the fourth quarter, Comcast lost a total of 370,000 video subscribers during 2018, more than double the 151,000 video subscribers it lost in 2017.

According to Leichtman Research Group, Comcast ended 2018 with nearly 22 million video subscribers.

As Comcast navigates some disruptions in its traditional video distribution business, the company’s NBCUniversal business segment is preparing to launch a hybrid ad-supported and subscription video streaming service in 2020.

The service will draw on NBCUniversal’s content library along with licensed content and original programming. It will run on top of Comcast and Sky’s technology platforms and will be made available at no cost to NBCUniversal’s pay TV subscribers in the U.S. and international markets. Comcast Cable and Sky will provide the service to their combined 52 million subscribers.

NBCU said it will also sell an ad-free version of the service, but it did not disclose how much that option will cost. The company also plans to sell subscription access to the service for non-pay TV customers.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/co...nsive-hardware
post #2018 of 2038 Old 05-25-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.buildinglink.com/V2/Tenan...aspx?id=554245

If you click on the above link, you will see the contract our HOA entered into with Comcast a couple years ago. They installed complete new fiber wiring. The system went live this past March. It seems to be working perfectly - with the latest X-1 equipment. As you can see, we get virtually every channel available. Internet speeds are about 175Mbps down, 12up. All for about $77/unit! Our complex has about 250 units. The project included several other HOAs that adjoin our complex around 1/2 mile long waterway. Probably over 2000 units altogether. I cannot understand how they do this!
post #2019 of 2038 Old 05-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143
congratulations!

Quote:

If you click on the above link, you will see the contract our HOA entered into with Comcast a couple years ago. They installed complete new fiber wiring. The system went live this past March. It seems to be working perfectly - with the latest X-1 equipment. As you can see, we get virtually every channel available. Internet speeds are about 175Mbps down, 12up. All for about $77/unit! Our complex has about 250 units. The project included several other HOAs that adjoin our complex around 1/2 mile long waterway. Probably over 2000 units altogether. I cannot understand how they do this!

Good for you!
Your current deal is about a third of what I pay for slower speeds and fewer channels.

I just hope when your HOA/Xfinity negotiation time comes around (whenever that takes place) you don't get a rude awakening!
In the meantime, congratulations.
post #2020 of 2038 Old 05-25-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathill View Post
Good for you!
Your current deal is about a third of what I pay for slower speeds and fewer channels.

I just hope when your HOA/Xfinity negotiation time comes around (whenever that takes place) you don't get a rude awakening!
In the meantime, congratulations.
It's a multi-year contract. 5? 7? They can raise rates 4%/yr.
post #2021 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's above inflation, but still, lower than most pay TV has been going up. That's really an incredible deal, we pay almost that around here just for internet. Comcast seems desperate to keep subscriber numbers up, I've always thought it was due to Wall Street liking the subscriber numbers, but now I'm wondering if they have some media/advertising tricks up their sleeves to generate additional revenue, as that doesn't sound sustainable otherwise. If Comcast backed away from all their bulk and forced-bundling deals as they expired or rolled out of contract, they would lose the pay TV industry several million more subscribers.
post #2022 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 929
I'm sure it's cheaper to wire up 50 apartments or condos at one location than single family homes.

I wonder though if people in that building refuse Comcast, do they have other options for Internet? No prewiring for say Uverse or DSL of any kind?
post #2023 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The link cannot be accessed without a user name and password. I congratulate your HOA for getting such a great deal. I assume the Premium channels (HBO, Starz etc.) are excluded.
post #2024 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
The link cannot be accessed without a user name and password. I congratulate your HOA for getting such a great deal. I assume the Premium channels (HBO, Starz etc.) are excluded.
How long a message can I post? The basics are in first 2 or 3 pages
post #2025 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I've been on AVS for years. How do I upload a jpg, doc, or pdf file?

Last edited by snidely; 05-26-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #2026 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3834 Post(s)
Liked: 3540
Quote:
I've been on AVS for years. How do I upload a jpg, doc, or pdf file?
When you're in the post box scroll down a bit and you'll see a blue Manage Attachments button. There you can select the file from your computer and upload it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-26 12_47_37-.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	2572118  
post #2027 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Can you send your negotiator to my house!??
post #2028 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just wondering what the HOA paid into this. Being on an HOA board, I know you can't get a provider interested in a buildout such as this without some sort of guarantee. Here, we need 80% of the units to agree to a one-year minimum just to get the lines run. If anyone backs out, the HOA is on the hook for the lost profits. Which means, we're basically stuck with fiber stopping at the entrance to the community. Only two owners are bellyaching. Everyone else is fine with 10/100 over copper.

post #2029 of 2038 Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...f-8d8065384787

I tried to attach file to AVS message. No go.
The above link takes you to the bulk of the contract - 13 pages. At least it took me to the contract which I uploaded to adobe.

1. The HOA, itself, pays for 100% of the units. The cost is factored into everyone's monthly dues.
2. About 1000-2000+ units in multiple bldgs joined in on the project. Each HOA signed its own contract.
3. Our small 45 unit condo HOA in Okld. signed a contract w. Google's Webpass internet subsidiary a few years ago -$25/unit. No price increase.
4. The HOA here in Miami was paying about $90 a month to deliver cable to each unit. Individuals had to pay for their own internet.
post #2030 of 2038 Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Comcast 'Hitz' Movie VoD Service to Hit Cinemax

Comcast is about to put on the "Hitz" -- and perhaps land a significant hit on Cinemax's customer base.
The MSO is inching toward the launch of Hitz, a commercial-free VoD movie service with more than 200 titles, that will be included in many of Comcast's pay-TV packages at no added cost while also replacing Cinemax and the premium programmer's associated channels (in addition to the primary channel, Cinemax also offers separate genre-focused channels such as More Max, Action Max and Thriller Max). Comcast said it will still sell Cinemax as a standalone for an additional $12 per month

https://www.lightreading.com/video/video-services/comcast-hitz-movie-vod-service-to-hit-cinemax-/d/d-id/751756?

Last edited by PaulGo; 05-29-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #2031 of 2038 Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Comcast Sunsetting VoD Support on TiVo Retail Boxes

It's the end of an era… or maybe just the beginning of the end. In a decision that conjures up the ghosts of a US regulatory era that banned set-top boxes with integrated security, Comcast and TiVo issued a warning last week that the cable operator's video-on-demand app will no longer be supported on all TiVo retail boxes effective June 25, 2019.

While that decision coincidentally pops up as TiVo and Comcast continue to battle at the International Trade Commission and in various US civil court cases, both sides attributed it to technologies that have reached end-of-life.

Per an alert delivered to Comcast customers using TiVo boxes, as first reported by the ZatzNotFunny gadget blog, the "current platform connecting your TiVo to Xfinity On Demand runs an out-of-date technology that cannot be upgraded or updated."

Ted Malone, TiVo's VP of consumer products and services, echoed that and expanded on it in this post on the TiVo customer forum.

"The reason behind this," he wrote, "is that the servers which are supporting this VOD application are running on an older operating system which has passed end-of-support."

https://www.lightreading.com/video/v...a/d-id/751739?
post #2032 of 2038 Old 05-30-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Already 15 pages of discussion about the future of XOD on Tivo here https://www.tivocommunity.com/commun...od-app.571397/
The thread was started by a Comcast rep. He keeps teasing plans for a future app for Tivos that will bring this functionality back, but even if that does come true, he acknowledges there is going to be a period of time while Tivo users just won't have access.
PaulGo likes this.
post #2033 of 2038 Old 06-10-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast Takes First Shot at Live 4K TV

After cutting its teeth on 4K with VoD fare, Comcast is now ready to bite into its first live TV offering in the pixel-packed format. Comcast said it would use its X1 platform to offer live 4K coverage in both English and Spanish for the FIFA Women's World Cup from Fox and Telemundo of all 52 tournament matches. The 2019 Women's World Cup gets underway today as tourney host France takes on South Korea.
Comcast won't charge extra for the 4K coverage, though customers will need a 4K display as well a 4K-capable X1 device. Comcast currently offers two X1 devices capable of 4K -- the Xi6 IP video client and the XG1v4, a newer Arris-made box that integrates a DVR and also supports High Dynamic Range (HDR).

Alongside its 4K coverage, Comcast will also use its X1 platform to aggregate access to live matches, replays, stats, news and other features and coverage tied to the FIFA 2019 Women's World Cup

Comcast will deliver the 4K streams into homes via its managed IP network (not OTT). A company official said those streams would be encoded in HEVC at a bit rate of 18 Mbit/s.
The 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup marks the first time Comcast will deliver live 4K TV, and will likely set the stage for more live coverage in the advanced format.
Comcast has been offering a mix of 4K content via VoD, including coverage from recent past Olympic games and World Cup tournaments, as well as from OTT-delivered apps such as Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video.
While this is a first for Comcast, it's not the only US pay-TV provider offering live coverage of the 2019 Women's World Cup. Dish Network and fuboTV are among others that have announced plans to provide 4K coverage of the tournament from France.
Update: According to Fox Sports, other MVPDs that are distributing Women's World Cup coverage in 4K include DirecTV and Altice USA. The network is also providing 4K streams from the tournament through the Fox Sports app and the Fox Now app.
Comcast said it would integrate some other bells and whistles on its X1 for the Women's World Cup:
  • English and Spanish support for the X1 voice remote.
  • A "Tournament Hub" that aggregates all live, VoD and streaming World Cup programming, as well as a scoreboard, team previews, player profiles, replays of matches and match highlights.
  • Dedicated "virtual channels" for elements such as impressive goals, tournament news and analysis.
  • An on-screen companion with live scores, schedules, standings, brackets and stats delivered by the X1 Sports App.
  • Instant restarts and replays of any match on FS1, FS1 and Universo, and on Fox and Telemundo in select markets.
https://www.lightreading.com/video/4...d/d-id/752045?

also

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...world-cup-2019

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/...up-france-2019
TeeJay1952, goke313 and Skytrooper like this.

Last edited by PaulGo; 06-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #2034 of 2038 Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Sure will be nice when American "football" is in 4K.
kevin j, BiggAW and nrs111 like this.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #2035 of 2038 Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Sure will be nice when American "football" is in 4K.
NFL is going to try to monetize it, maybe hope someone will pony up hundreds of millions for the rights.

Because a lot of people stay home, watch on big screens, with their better food, without overpriced parking, and access to all their FF stats.

So attendance, especially at the high ticket prices the league charges, is an issue and they increasingly see TV as a competitor, even though it's their main source of revenues.
post #2036 of 2038 Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

4K Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR) on Xfinity TV

Want to know more about viewing 4K Ultra HD (UHD) and 4K UHD/HDR with your Xfinity TV subscription? Check out our helpful information below. What is 4K UHD content?

4K UHD resolution is four times full HD, providing a clearer, more vivid picture. Current HDTV offers 1,920 pixels (tiny dots that make up the picture) across the width of the screen - the more pixels, the sharper the image. With 4K technology, the number of pixels across the picture is doubled to 3,840 (approximately four thousand or "4K"), and the vertical scanning lines are double as well, from 1080p to 2160p.

What is HDR (High Dynamic Range)?
"HDR" stands for High Dynamic Range and refers to color depth. HDR offers better contrast, greater brightness levels and a wider color palette. It's about making TV shows/movies look a bit more like real life. How To Get 4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR with Xfinity

4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR viewing is currently available to Xfinity X1 customers.

When your X1 TV Box is set up, it will automatically be set to the highest video output resolution possible for your TV, including 4K UHD. If you wish to manually change your video resolution after setup, you can do so via the Settings menu. Also, if you choose to view On Demand content (for free or purchase) that is available in 4K, playback will automatically default to the appropriate 4K color depth based on your TV’s capabilities.

Xfinity On Demand: 4K UHD/HDR content (for free, rentals or purchase) is available if you have an XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box set to 2160 resolution with a compatible 4K UHD/HDR TV. Please see more about using the X1 guide to adjust your video display to 2160.

English Premier League Live Matches: We'll be airing select English Premier League games in 4K SDR on NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) and NBC.
  • Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 11:30 AM ET: Manchester United V Chelsea (NBC Sports Network)
  • Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 12:30 PM ET: Manchester City V Tottenham Hotspur (NBC)
  • Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM ET: Liverpool V Arsenal (NBC)
  • Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM ET: Arsenal V Tottenham Hotspur (NBC Sports Network)
  • Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 7:30 AM ET: Liverpool V Newcastle United (NBC Sports Network)
  • Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 11:30 AM ET: Chelsea V Liverpool (NBC Sports Network)
  • Monday, September 30, 2019 at 3:00 PM ET: Manchester United V Arsenal (NBC Sports Network)
To find these games, you can say “4K” into your Voice Remote; go to Sports in the X1 menu and then select Soccer on the guide; or go to the X1 Sports app and find them under the Soccer tab.

College Football Live Games: We'll be airing select College Football games in 4K HDR / 4K SDR on Fox Sports 1 (FS1), and NBC.
  • Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 7:30 PM ET: Miami (OH) at Iowa (FS1) - 4K SDR
  • Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 10:30 PM ET: Cal at Washington (FS1) - 4K SDR / 4K HDR
  • Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 4:00 PM ET: Iowa at Iowa St (FS1) - 4K SDR / 4K HDR
  • Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM ET: New Mexico at Notre Dame (NBC) - 4K SDR / 4K HDR
  • Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 3:30 PM ET: Virginia at Notre Dame (NBC) - 4K SDR / 4K HDR
To find these games, you can say “4K” into your Voice Remote; go to Sports in the X1 menu and then select Football on the guide; or go to the X1 Sports app and find them under the Football tab.

Netflix: 4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR are available if you subscribe to the Netflix Premium plan and have an XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box, with a compatible 4K or 4K/HDR TV and/or AV receiver and/or soundbar. Learn more about watching Netflix programs on X1 or watching Netflix programs in 4K.

YouTube: 4K content on YouTube is available if you use the YouTube app on X1 and have an XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box with a compatible 4K TV. Learn more about watching YouTube on X1.

Amazon Prime Video: 4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR content is available if you use the Prime Video app on X1 and have an XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box with a compatible 4K or 4K/HDR TV and/or AV receiver and/or soundbar. Learn more about watching Prime Video on X1.

Use your Voice Remote to say "4K", or search "4K" to access 4K viewing options. Compatible TV Boxes

4K UHD and 4K UHD/HDR content viewing requires an Xfinity XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box. You can find the model number of your TV Box by accessing About in the X1 Settings menu. XG1v4 model numbers are AX014ANM or AX014ANC, and Xi6 model numbers are AX061AEI or TX061AEI, listed as STB Version. You can also check the sticker located on the bottom panel of the device.

XG1v4 TV Boxes and Xi6 TV Boxes aren’t available to order online. While they also aren’t available to be requested for a professional installation, your technician may install one during an X1 installation appointment based on an evaluation of your home network.

You can get an XG1v4 or an Xi6 by visiting us in a Xfinity Stores and requesting a Self-Install Kit from an agent. Please contact us to order. Compatible TVs

4K UHD and UHD/HDR streaming is only available on specific TV models and may not be supported on all TV/receiver HDMI ports. You should refer to your TV manual to see if you can receive 4K or 4K/HDR content.

Learn more about watching Netflix in 4K on Xfinity X1.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs
post #2037 of 2038 Old 08-14-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I hope this works better than it did with the women's world cup. I experienced numerous freeze-ups that required me to restart the stream. There was not one match that was without problems.
post #2038 of 2038 Old 08-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
I hope this works better than it did with the women's world cup. I experienced numerous freeze-ups that required me to restart the stream. There was not one match that was without problems.
I think a lot of the problems with the Women's World Cup were at the source. I have the FoxSports App on my Roku player and tried the 4K feed on the app as well as my Comcast Box.

I found that the Comcast Box worked pretty well for some matches, and not so well on the others. While the FoxSports App seemed to do a little better on average than my Comcast Box, on the days were the Comcast Box struggled, the app seemed to struggle as well. That suggested to me that a lot of the problem was at the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page