Comcast Technology Topic - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes

post #2071 of 2093 Old 09-24-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post
themselves to forces both known and unknown.

I wonder if the 10 year old Comcast pre-X1 Legacy boxes have spying capabilities?
Hopefully not. I have two of those for local HDTV only (1080) so if they want to see how often I watch MeTV for Westerns, that's fine with me Streaming for us is via the ATV4k so I'm sure there's some data mining there as well, even though I haven't seen any indication of it yet.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2093 Old 09-24-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-O View Post
@wco81 .... Thanks. I saw same link to the Washington Post over at the CNBC Business site and bookmarked it along with it's 4 other related privacy/spying articles from the same author. Good stuff, although not surprising. Sadly from personal experience, most (but not all) my younger descendants aged 13-35 believe strongly that it's a very good thing to share everything about themselves to forces both known and unknown.

I wonder if the 10 year old Comcast pre-X1 Legacy boxes have spying capabilities?

Anyway, at 67 I'm starting to get concerned that I might actually see the "full" fury of that brave new AI world a-coming down the tracks over the next few decades
Nearly all cable boxes have remote access capability mainly intended to allow remote diagnosis of signal issues when a customer reports a problem - but it does show the channel the box is tuned to, and probably if an HDMI-connected TV is on or off. The info could be used to gather ratings info or build a customer profile, if desired. A web-connected TV would theoretically have access to far more data though - web browsing, streaming, accounts and passwords, possibly DVD's played, and also what else is on the home network.
post #2073 of 2093 Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryeye View Post
I really hate the 720p signal Comcast delivers for its own pay tv. It should be a high crime to call 720p HD in 2019. In 2009? Yeah sure ok. But no way in hells is that acceptable in todays 4k environment. So sad
720p is absolutely HD, as is 1080i. The problem with Comcast is not the resolution, it's the bitrate and compression. Look at a good Fox station that isn't sharing with other channels. They broadcast in 720p, and it can look spectacular. Same for ESPN on cable providers that don't over-compress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
So the X1 box doesn't even connect to your own local network? That's different.
The first few generations of X1 don't connect to your network at all. My parents have an XG1 and Xi3 that are their own little self-contained world from their eMTA, which feeds phone and their router. The newer generations can cross-connect if you have an XB6 and a wireless X1 box, and the latest setups are all-IP, which use the XB6 and wireless boxes entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
Nearly all cable boxes have remote access capability mainly intended to allow remote diagnosis of signal issues when a customer reports a problem - but it does show the channel the box is tuned to, and probably if an HDMI-connected TV is on or off. The info could be used to gather ratings info or build a customer profile, if desired. A web-connected TV would theoretically have access to far more data though - web browsing, streaming, accounts and passwords, possibly DVD's played, and also what else is on the home network.
X1 reports a LOT more data than the legacy Motorola/Sci Atlanta boxes. X1 reportedly uploads every button press to the cloud, so they know exactly what you're watching and when. With the legacy boxes, I'd be surprised if they could gather bulk data of even what channel you're on or what you're recording, as they were never really designed for that. Obviously they can track QAM VOD, since that's logged on the server end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2093 Old 09-30-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
... With the legacy boxes, I'd be surprised if they could gather bulk data of even what channel you're on or what you're recording, as they were never really designed for that. Obviously they can track QAM VOD, since that's logged on the server end.

I haven't looked lately, but a few years ago through the Comcast website I could see what recordings I had and what recordings I had scheduled on my RNG200N (legacy) DVR using the program guide, but not any recordings or scheduled recordings where I manually scheduled a specific channel and time.
BiggAW likes this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #2075 of 2093 Old 09-30-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
I assume all the voice commands are logged too.
post #2076 of 2093 Old 09-30-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I assume all the voice commands are logged too.
Hmm. What if you speak nasty thoughts or criticisms into the mike, i.e. "F**k you, Comcast!" Not that I ever would.
post #2077 of 2093 Old 09-30-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
Hmm. What if you speak nasty thoughts or criticisms into the mike, i.e. "F**k you, Comcast!" Not that I ever would.
I did that when I first got X1. The box scolded me. 😉

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #2078 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 09:32 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Signal Quality through xfinity stream app?

is the signal coming to my display through the Xfinity streaming beta app on my new LG TV the exact same 4k signal coming through the comcast 4k set top box? not going through Roku, using the LG App. Looks like a clean signal but to my eyes doesn't seem to pop as much when compared to the set top box signal.
post #2079 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

X1 4k box - HDMI handshake

Having recurring issues with the handshake between the X1 4k Xi4 box and my new LG OLED 77 C9. Sometimes, instead of connecting, i get a computer blue screen of death. This can be corrected (so far) by restarting the STB through the Xfinity my account app. But it recurs, even after switching the box, hdmi cable, and hdmi connection on TV.

Xfinity tech support is stymied and blames it on the LG display. I have started using the LG xfinity stream beta app as a work-around when the STB won't complete the handshake.

Am i the only one seeing this behavior?
post #2080 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post
Having recurring issues with the handshake between the X1 4k Xi4 box and my new LG OLED 77 C9. Sometimes, instead of connecting, i get a computer blue screen of death. This can be corrected (so far) by restarting the STB through the Xfinity my account app. But it recurs, even after switching the box, hdmi cable, and hdmi connection on TV.

Xfinity tech support is stymied and blames it on the LG display. I have started using the LG xfinity stream beta app as a work-around when the STB won't complete the handshake.

I had a similar issue with my legacy X1 (1080 only) and my LG 65 C8, only the screen was pink or highly distorted. The Comcast box was connected directly to the C8 so I had to disable Deep Color on that specific HDMI input. You have the 4k box so that might not be an option. I think it's the way the Comcast STB communicates with the C8 and not the other way around.

post #2081 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

Thanks. There is a robust thread in the comcast customer forums on 4k STB forced restart issues. No known universal fix for those affected. some folks have been manually restarting every day for months. i'll try disabling various settings but really don't expect this to be resolved until/unless comcast sorts out a software fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I had a similar issue with my legacy X1 (1080 only) and my LG 65 C8, only the screen was pink or highly distorted. The Comcast box was connected directly to the C8 so I had to disable Deep Color on that specific HDMI input. You have the 4k box so that might not be an option. I think it's the way the Comcast STB communicates with the C8 and not the other way around.
post #2082 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks. There is a robust thread in the comcast customer forums on 4k STB forced restart issues. No known universal fix for those affected. some folks have been manually restarting every day for months. i'll try disabling various settings but really don't expect this to be resolved until/unless comcast sorts out a software fix.
Fortunately for us we only use Comcast for local HDTV only, no streaming, so it's not that big of a deal. However, that may change once Comcrap decides to stop support of the legacy boxes altogether and forces everyone to the newer 4k STB's. We'll see.

post #2083 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Comcast could put their Stream or even an X1 app. on better boxes like Apple TV and so on.

They don't want to, they want to keep making their own boxes because they want to monetize the eyeballs by harvesting data.

Well of course they can also charge some ridiculous box rental fees, though in their promo deals, they usually throw in the X1 boxes don't they?
post #2084 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

I have experienced this many times. The shortcut is to pull the HDMI cable from the box, then plug it back in, and the picture will be back
post #2085 of 2093 Old 10-02-2019, 02:09 PM
GC3
Advanced Member

This fix only worked the first time for me. Its easier for me just to restart the box from the my xfinity app...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
I have experienced this many times. The shortcut is to pull the HDMI cable from the box, then plug it back in, and the picture will be back
post #2086 of 2093 Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This fix only worked the first time for me. Its easier for me just to restart the box from the my xfinity app...

Ok, I’m now experiencing the same thing. Required a restart every day, then every time the TV was turned on, then it was just blue after the restart welcome screen. Exchanging it after work today.
post #2087 of 2093 Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Ok, I’m now experiencing the same thing. Required a restart every day, then every time the TV was turned on, then it was just blue after the restart welcome screen. Exchanging it after work today.

Exchanged for an X1GV4 in-store. New one has a power supply. Works for now. Last one lasted 20 months.
post #2088 of 2093 Old 10-20-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Why don't other communities enter into a deal like this w. Comcast?

https://dochub.com/mikethaler/aggYjl...WuJvzyEWJQ94Hu

Our HOA (220 units) and other condo associations around us totalling 1000-2000 units - signed contracts like ours that is posted in the above link.
They installed new fiber to each unit in each bldg. (Took about 2 years from contract date to install.)
Includes virtually every channel, HBO, SHO, Starz AND 150mbps+ internet (down). 12 up. It appears we have the latest X1 system installed in LR and 2 bdrms. As you can see in the contract, the HOA is charged about $85/unit!!!
We no longer need Roku to access Netflix or Amazon Prime because the Comcast system even accepts verbal commands to access those services. We are in the extreme northern part of Miami (called Aventura).
PaulGo likes this.
post #2089 of 2093 Old 10-23-2019, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Good questions, Mr. Whiplash.

Comcast provides low-cost/good-value plans to any customer but your HOA pricing sure does look better than those available to solo customers. But what are the actual COSTS paid per resident, what are the monthly bills?
I bet they are similar to any average shlub customer who doesn't understand how to cost-reduce the monthly services.

Are there exorbitant disconnect fees for non-blind non-deaf folks who want to go OTA-only/cellphone-only? (yes?)

Will comcast opt to raise the prices 4% per year as allowed by agreement (yes!!)

ps - surprising fact of the day: Data and all signals travel more slowly in fiber than in coax cables. Always. No exceptions for those who pay more!
post #2090 of 2093 Old 10-23-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

Comcast provides low-cost/good-value plans to any customer but your HOA pricing sure does look better than those available to solo customers. But what are the actual COSTS paid per resident, what are the monthly bills?
I bet they are similar to any average shlub customer who doesn't understand how to cost-reduce the monthly services.

Are there exorbitant disconnect fees for non-blind non-deaf folks who want to go OTA-only/cellphone-only? (yes?)

Will comcast opt to raise the prices 4% per year as allowed by agreement (yes!!)

ps - surprising fact of the day: Data and all signals travel more slowly in fiber than in coax cables. Always. No exceptions for those who pay more!
But if you want to see really high speed, look at how fast Comcast sucks money out of your wallet. We are paying double what the Germans and Swedes pay under their truly regulated system.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #2091 of 2093 Old 10-24-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

The $85 per unit is paid by (included in dues) the HOA. Here is copy of bill each home owber gets:
====

xfinity

Your bill is ready to view

Amount Due:

$0.00
Due Date:

10/24/2019
Xfinity Account Number:

Ending in 6255
Service Address:

3801 NE 207TH ST APT 90
MIAMI,FL,33180-3794

Make a Payment

Want one less thing to worry about? Sign up for automatic payments today. Get started.

View information about your bill anywhere, on any device with My Account

Visit xfinity.com/
myaccount

Use the
My Account app

Press A or say
"help" to your
X1 Voice Remote

Pay Your Bill Store Locator Apps My Account
======================

I guess you would owe something if you subscribed to an extra sports pkg. or hooked up to a 4th TV. Technically, each owner has his/her own account. We can watch HBO GO, SHO, TCM et al via streaming at any location.
tveli likes this.
post #2092 of 2093 Old 10-25-2019, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Snidely that pricing is too awesome so tomorrow I will be moving into the unit next-door to you with my 400 inch TV and 47.1 Channel Thomas-Dolby Wall-Of-Sound, plus 4 of my loudest family (ICP).

Also just to give you a heads up, I work at home 2AM to 7AM while listening to heavy metal music and am hearing-impaired and have Garrett Morris on retainer to provide opera singing and/or TV soundtrack to help me hear.

See you in the club-house !
BiggAW likes this.
post #2093 of 2093 Old 10-25-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
.....and have Garrett Morris on retainer to provide opera singing and/or TV soundtrack to help me hear.

News for the hard of hearing.

"OUR TOP STORY TONIGHT.........."
tveli and Deezul like this.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page