AVS Forum banner

Comcast Technology Topic

367K views 2K replies 212 participants last post by  BIslander 
#1 ·
Comcast picks Calaveras to try new technology

By Vanessa Turner

Sunday, May 22, 2005 5:55 PM CDT

Calaveras County Comcast Cable customers will soon be the first group in the country to experience the cable company's new all-digital technology.

Comcast will be contacting its "expanded basic" and "digital service" customers in Wallace, San Andreas, Valley Springs and Mokelumne Hill to schedule a visit to come out and install a new box, which houses the new technology.

Basic cable customers will not be affected.

The new box is about the size of a cigar box and brings new services, which include Comcast On Demand, a video on demand service with a new children's network and improved parental controls, according to Comcast representative Susan Gonzales. Eighty percent of the content is free.

Gonzales is working on getting the word out about the trial. There are 7,100 customers in the county, of which 2,000 will be affected.

But also, Comcast digital customers in Calaveras County that are outside the trial area will be given Comcast On Demand by the end of summer.

"Every customer is getting some new service," Farrell Moseley, Comcast Central Valley manager, said.

Trial implementation is set to begin on or after July 5 and will be complete by fall 2005.

Calaveras County was selected by the company for a test run because of its demographics, according to Moseley.

"Calaveras beat out Half Moon Bay," Moseley said. "Calaveras has a good cross section of the nation. Also, there's a large interest in advanced services."

Moseley also said that Calaveras has strong leadership in its county supervisors and citizens.

Comcast laid the groundwork for carrying the new technology back in 2003 after taking over AT&T's cable operations in 2002. It upgraded the cable system to a larger bandwidth to accommodate the additional services it wanted to bring into the area.

Those services, aside from Comcast on Demand, are high definition television (HDTV) and digital video recording, which will be available for customers in the trial area for $9.95.

What this means for customers in the affected areas, is they need the new technology to continue receiving Comcast Cable, Gonzales said. There's no additional charge but customers need to convert or they will be watching "snow."

"Expanded basic" and "digital service" customers in the affected areas will receive up to three boxes for free. Beyond that, there would be a $1.99 per month charge.

Once the new technology is installed, Comcast will conduct customer surveys to rate their satisfaction. The company will then determine the best way to offer its expanded services to other customers in Calaveras.

A demonstration van will be touring Valley Springs June 2 displaying the Comcast on Demand service.

See less See more
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/0

Comcast laid the groundwork for carrying the new technology back in 2003 after taking over AT&T's cable operations in 2002. It upgraded the cable system to a larger bandwidth to accommodate the additional services it wanted to bring into the area.

I'm sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but does this mean that Comcast took over AT&T's service in this county, or did Comcast take over ALL of AT&T's cable operation?!

~Alan

#7 ·
Keenan - thanks for the information on the DCT700. It looks like a great device that will allow cable to reclaim the bandwidth it needs to display many more HD channels.

Allan Gordon - I believe Time Warner and Comcast divided up the AT&T service.

#8 ·
Seems to be a case of a local reporter over-hyping a fairly common cable development: duplicating analog cable channels in the digital format and adding services such as video on demand. Some call it digital simulcast, which fuzzes up the concept IMO. Time Warner in NYC did this several years ago, and other systems have also. Vaguely recall a West Coast Comcast system doing this a while back. At 8-10 channels per 6-MHz slot, normally used for one analog channel, the 'simulcast' conversion doesn't require much bandwidth, although VOD and other services do.

A really remarkable new service, switched broadcasting , which could theoretically deliver all the TV channels in the world, is apparently slated for introduction soon. -- John

#9 ·
From what I read in your references to switched broadcasting is like VOD and will require two way cable communication. The new sets that are cable ready only have one way communication. You will still need a cheap box like the DCT700 to allow a switched network for everyone (also you would need a box such as this for all the analog TVs). Another plus if cable gives everyone a "free" box is they could go to a higher compression technology such as mpeg4.

#10 ·

Quote:

From what I read in your references to switched broadcasting is like VOD and will require two way cable communication. The new sets that are cable ready only have one way communication. You will still need a cheap box like the DCT700 to allow a switched network for everyone (also you would need a box such as this for all the analog TVs). Another plus if cable gives everyone a "free" box is they could go to a higher compression technology such as mpeg4.

The references on switched broadcasting (SB) point out that it can be used on smaller-capacity cable system (750-MHz etc.). Current cable delivery could continue, so those not wanting to rent a cable box for SB needn't, and analog cable, which really hogs cable bandwidth, could continue, too. Many analog subscribers use a direct set input without an analog cable box. BTW, I'd be surprised if some of the new/upcoming digital cable specifications didn't allow for two-way subscriber/head-end communications via something like a cable-card setup. Notice this small telco system is introducing all-MPEG-4 delivery. -- John

#12 ·
The reason we have Comcast Cable instead of Satellite is because of the simplicity of connecting the analog cable to all of our TV's, VCR's, and the DVD/HDD Recorder in the house (we receive our HD OTA).

If Comcast eliminates analog on their cable system, we will probably leave Comcast (who seems to be constantly raising their prices), and switch to satellite. We may also leave Comcast as our internet provider, and switch to DSL since our internet reliability has been intermittent.

Bottom line: Comcast drops analog. We probably drop Comcast.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjw /forum/post/0

The reason we have Comcast Cable instead of Satellite is because of the simplicity of connecting the analog cable to all of our TV's, VCR's, and the DVD/HDD Recorder in the house (we receive our HD OTA).

If Comcast eliminates analog on their cable system, we will probably leave Comcast (who seems to be constantly raising their prices), and switch to satellite. We may also leave Comcast as our internet provider, and switch to DSL since our internet reliability has been intermittent.

Comcast is not going to drop analog for a long time, it's roughly 65-70% of their subscriber base. If they do implement all-digital systems, they will most likely provide digital-to-analog converter boxes. There's an FCC mandate that all local channels are to be provided in the clear, so if that means a converter box at every navigation device, or a box that down-converts before the cable comes into your residence, then that's what they'll do.

Besides, if you go satellite, you'll need an STB at every TV, VCR, whatever, anyway since it's 100% digital already.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/0

Seems to be a case of a local reporter over-hyping a fairly common cable development: duplicating analog cable channels in the digital format and adding services such as video on demand. Some call it digital simulcast, which fuzzes up the concept IMO. Time Warner in NYC did this several years ago, and other systems have also. Vaguely recall a West Coast Comcast system doing this a while back. At 8-10 channels per 6-MHz slot, normally used for one analog channel, the 'simulcast' conversion doesn't require much bandwidth, although VOD and other services do.

A really remarkable new service, switched broadcasting , which could theoretically deliver all the TV channels in the world, is apparently slated for introduction soon. -- John

Based on the article, all analogs in the "Expanded Basic" tier will be shut off, which is why Comcast said without the new device, the Expanded Basic subs will be watching "snow."

That will free up a lot of bandwidth. The early poster mentioned dropping Comcast if the analogs are shut off. Apparently the basic analogs will not be shut off for a long time, and the convenience of simple VCR hookup will remain, just not for the expanded analog channels. But if you switch to DBS you don't gain any such VCR hookup convenience anyway.

As far as pricing, Comcast is trying to use VOD to justify the higher cost. I don't think it will work too well. But the fact is DBS are on pace with cable in price increase so obviously if Comcast begin to lose subs due to higher cost they can make their pricing competitive. They have already done so for many subs who are defecting from DBS, by giving them $25/month off for 16 months.

The bandwidth saved from shutting off 70 or so expanded basic analog channels will give Comcast a hugh bandwidth boost that can allow them to add many new HDs.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung /forum/post/0

The bandwidth saved from shutting off 70 or so expanded basic analog channels will give Comcast a hugh bandwidth boost that can allow them to add many new HDs.

That's a great move by Comcast if they're dropping that much analog. It sure makes sense, and I wish NYC's Time Warner would do the same. A year or so back they dropped about 10 analogs here and added new HD/VOD etc. Minimal HD though.

Last time I checked about 70% of the analogs here were scrambled, requiring a converter. If the scrambled analog channels were dropped, that would leave ~30 available for direct set hookups and analog requirements. Several years back NYC TWC duplicated all its analog as digital. And since expanded analog basic requires a descrambling converter anyway, there's no logical reason subscribers couldn't use a digital converter instead to view channels beyond analog-only. Result: lots of freed-up bandwidth for new HD and other services. -- John

#16 ·

Quote:

Allan Gordon - I believe Time Warner and Comcast divided up the AT&T service.

Yeah, after I asked that question, I looked up some more information regarding AT&T's service.

The reason I asked was that several years ago, some people were laying down cable across the highway from me, and they hit a water line causing us to lose our water service. Though the man in charge came and spoke to us informing us of what happened, and when they got the water back up, he came back to flush rocks out... but not all of the rocks got out and it caused some of our indoor faucets to get messed up, which was aggravating, not only because of the fact that the faucets got messed up, but because even after they were finished laying the cable, we still couldn't receive the service, even though the cable was layed just across the street.

I spoke to the guy when he was over here and found out that he was laying cable for AT&T Digital Cable, and I remember when they had an advertisement in the paper advertising their digital cable service... then next thing I knew, MediaCom was the local provider for the area. I guess Comcast and Time Warner didn't care enough about servicing the area, and so MediaCom came in...

~Alan

#17 ·

Quote:

Based on the article, all analogs in the "Expanded Basic" tier will be shut off, which is why Comcast said without the new device, the Expanded Basic subs will be watching "snow."

I think this is impressive. Three boxes for free will get most subscribers taken care of, and $1.99 fee for any additional boxes is certainly reasonable.

I'm on satellite, but all of the cable subscribers I know doesn't want to switch to satellite because of either LIL (of which Dish Network offers some, but not all), and the $4.99 fee per box. These same people would hold off on digital cable until they had no choice, and then they'd probably switch to satellite... but with three free boxes, and $1.99 fee for each additional box, cable could easily get rid of the analog channels...

~Alan

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/0

That's a great move by Comcast if they're dropping that much analog. It sure makes sense, and I wish NYC's Time Warner would do the same. A year or so back they dropped about 10 analogs here and added new HD/VOD etc. Minimal HD though.

Last time I checked about 70% of the analogs here were scrambled, requiring a converter. If the scrambled analog channels were dropped, that would leave ~30 available for direct set hookups and analog requirements. Several years back NYC TWC duplicated all its analog as digital. And since expanded analog basic requires a descrambling converter anyway, there's no logical reason subscribers couldn't use a digital converter instead to view channels beyond analog-only. Result: lots of freed-up bandwidth for new HD and other services. -- John

Thanks for the link on the "switched broadcasting". I hope the combination of the analog shut off and this new technology will solve the bandwidth issue for cable for a long time to come. It also means cable does not have to go MEPG4 or something similar like DBS is doing. By continue to use MPEGII our firewire recording capability will be safe.

#19 ·
Along the lines of Comcast going to VOD instead of linear programming - from an interview with Shirley Brady Comcast's VP of video on demand programming investments. (A result of this policy will be that all the current cable ready TVs with one way cable cards will become obsolete and require a cable box).

Full interview can be found at:

http://cableworld.com/cgi/cw/show_ma...e=comcasts.htm

Brady: So in your view the smart digital network today is thinking VOD first, and not as an afterthought or as a grudging adjunct to its real dream of launching a linear channel?

Strauss: Yes. That's phenomenally expensive and the economics of launching and creating a linear channel today are more challenged than at any other time. If you believe that the future of television is going to be on demand, for a significantly lower investment you have this opportunity today to reach millions of digital subscribers on a platform that's quickly approaching a point where there's going to be more people watching on demand, and the ratings for on demand will be higher than some cable networks. So we're starting to see more of a migration where programmers are seeing on demand not as this place where you go if you can't get a linear deal, but as actually a place where you want to be. A lot of our enthusiasm about on demand, and about programming for on demand, isn't so much that there's bandwidth constraints on launching more linear channels, it's because we actually know and believe that on demand's a better viewing experience and platform, especially for new forms of content. So that's why we're putting so much effort and investment into on demand. There's nothing that ever really precludes an on-demand service from evolving into a linear channel. If you look at the bigger picture, at some point it's all just going to merge anyway. There's really nothing that will one day from a viewer's point of view they're thinking that they're watching a linear channel, but it very well might be a video-on-demand stream assigned a channel number. What's the difference? Ultimately, there's going to be that kind of merging. The opportunity now is to really embrace the on-demand platform and take advantage of it, especially now while it's still relatively young.

#21 ·

Quote:

While I still don't believe VOD will make Comcast more competitive (DBS can do VOD also), I was surprised how much time we spend on watching free VOD programming, and we don't even have HD VOD yet.

Well that's the wrench in this VOD machine that Comcast is creating, it cost money to view this material and I'm unconvinced that it's going to be the big thing that Comcast is banking on. Unless the cost is far lower than it is currently, IIRC, the cost for a HD-VOD movie is about $5-6, and I just don't see that flying.

I think a monthly rate would be more comfortable for most people than individual pricing per program.

But if what the Comcast rep talks about above is just a replacement for standard linear channels, at no additional cost, then it might just work. I often wonder in cable execs are really attuned to how aggravated people are with the high cost of their cable bills already...

#22 ·
Time Warner Advances Simulcasting

7/7/2005 5:20:00 PM

Time Warner Cable said Thursday that its system in Raleigh, N.C., is the first to digitally simulcast its analog-channel lineup throughout its full service area.

The MSO added that it expects to complete its digital-simulcast rollout in one-half of its 31 divisions by year-end.

The digital-simulcast networks are delivered to the same channel number as the analog networks but converted into a digital format, improving their image, sound and recordability, Time Warner said.

Our simulcast project provides consumers with the best of both worlds -- 100% digital, which means crystal-clear picture and sound, as well as continued delivery of our analog service to those customers who prefer not to use a cable set-top box, Time Warner Raleigh division president Tom Adams said in a prepared statement.

The MSO's senior vice president of strategy and development, Kevin Leddy, added, We have begun to aggressively deliver the digital simulcast of our analog channels, negating any perceived advantage of satellite-delivered video service.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjw /forum/post/0

I find it funny that people say that if there cable company drops analog and requires a cable box on every tv they will switch to SAT. Won't you still need a box for every tv? Unless you have a "magic box" on you other tv's I dont' see what the difference is if you are willing to spend the money for additional boxes satelitte. Sooner or later you going to have to put a box on all you analog tv's anywayif you want them to work for even OTA TV. In NYC we can't get anything above broadcast basic without a cablebox so I don't see what the big deal is.

#24 ·

Quote:

While I still don't believe VOD will make Comcast more competitive (DBS can do VOD also), I was surprised how much time we spend on watching free VOD programming, and we don't even have HD VOD yet.

We also watch a great deal of free VOD. Although we have limited HD-VOD, we've never tried it as we have enough live HD without paying a per-use charge for it.

Rich N.

#25 ·
Um, this whole PR stunt doesn't make much sense. This box has no HiDef video outputs, so how can it provide more HD? Also it has no digital audio out. The spec sheets says it does AC3 for 5.1 DD, well you can't get it to your receiver. You only get stereo audio out, which gets surround encoded, but it's still not discrete 5.1.

#26 ·
What VOD is free???