DirecTV H20 (non-DVR) Official Thread - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3811 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato_ma View Post

Well now I'm confused. I have an H20, is there a HD20 and if so what is the difference? I presume the HR20 is a recordable receiver. If it would solve my H20 issues I think it is appropriate here.

On another note, there seems to be quite a few people much more knowledgeable about this technology than me and I was hoping to change the subject to my question. I get some kind of interference on D* HD CBS Local Station. It is the worst of my locals with interference of some kind on average of once per minute. The last service call I was assured I didn't have a line of sight problem and that there wasn't anything that could be done to fix the problem by technicians here. He said it was an issue with the H20. Now my question if it is the H20 in my house why does the same channel CBS go through the H20 receiver to my TV from my UHF antenna with preamp, that has nothing to do with D*, separate wiring etc. and give a perfect picture? Signal strength as measured by the H20 is in the 80's. I don't understand why they both wouldn't have the same interference problems if it was the H20 causing the problems. It would seem more logical to my muddled brain that it would be the transponder on the satellite.

I'm glad we can get back on topic.
I have seen the same problem with CBS in the Sacramento area. After contacting the manager of the engineering department, it was explained as a local problem.
Why you don't see it on both OTA & SAT is if you have a -600 unit there are two receiver [sections] in the unit. In my case my OTA works better than the same feed sent to D* which is then converted & uplinked by D* [in Sacramento] to the SAT and then down to your rec.

The -100 doesn't have the two receiver sections.

A.K.A. VOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On my old "Pre HD" setup, I had a Toshiba CRT with the Hughes HBH-SA box. A nice feature was the closed captioning popping up whenever I muted the TV. I now have the H20 receiver with the Sony KDS-50A2000 TV.

Question: Does anyone know of ANY way to enable the CC only when muting the set? It's terrific if the phone rings so you can keep up with what is going on while the TV is muted. I've had no luck so far.

Thanks,
Chris
post #3813 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryoldschool View Post

I'm glad we can get back on topic.
I have seen the same problem with CBS in the Sacramento area. After contacting the manager of the engineering department, it was explained as a local problem.
Why you don't see it on both OTA & SAT is if you have a -600 unit there are two receiver [sections] in the unit. In my case my OTA works better than the same feed sent to D* which is then converted & uplinked by D* [in Sacramento] to the SAT and then down to your rec.

The -100 doesn't have the two receiver sections.

I have the -100 so that doesn't seem to answer my question. I am in the Boston area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris83 View Post

On my old "Pre HD" setup, I had a Toshiba CRT with the Hughes HBH-SA box. A nice feature was the closed captioning popping up whenever I muted the TV. I now have the H20 receiver with the Sony KDS-50A2000 TV.

Question: Does anyone know of ANY way to enable the CC only when muting the set? It's terrific if the phone rings so you can keep up with what is going on while the TV is muted. I've had no luck so far.

Check your TV menu.

My TV will auto CC if I enable the "CC on Mute" option in the TVs setup menu. Many TVs have this feature.
post #3815 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato_ma View Post

I have the -100 so that doesn't seem to answer my question. I am in the Boston area.

There are problems with the MPEG4 feeds on some channels in some cities. They involve getting the signal from the station and then getting it to the satellite. The number of stations with such problems is dropping but it's still a work in progress. It's doesn't matter whether the receiver is an H20-100, H20-600 or HR20-700. It's a source problem, not a receiver problem.

Pat

While I may link to and mention products as examples, I don't recommend specific products.
post #3816 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post

There are problems with the MPEG4 feeds on some channels in some cities. They involve getting the signal from the station and then getting it to the satellite. The number of stations with such problems is dropping but it's still a work in progress. It's doesn't matter whether the receiver is an H20-100, H20-600 or HR20-700. It's a source problem, not a receiver problem.

That makes sense however why would this be a chronic problem from only some stations in some cities? In the DFW DMA all 5 MPEG4 streams are solid and flawless. I have never seen an audio sync or pixelization problem since my conversion to MPEG4 in December of last year. I guess that is why some on this forum get upset when they hear good things about MPEG4 and the H20.

bill
post #3817 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Liked: 11
I hate to go off-topic and ask stupid questions...but I should be allowed a pass on one every so often :P

When is this box going to go interactive???

The NFLST features are great, but I can't see any of it in HD
post #3818 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM
rad
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldmaga View Post

I hate to go off-topic and ask stupid questions...but I should be allowed a pass on one every so often :P

When is this box going to go interactive???

The NFLST features are great, but I can't see any of it in HD

Not off topic.

I called D* retention about this a few weeks ago and they got advanced tech support on the line. At that time all their system said was mid summer (they're late) and the tech didn't have any update about it. Earl over at DBSTalk says that it's coming but he also hasn't heard when.

If you have the NFL-ST SuperFan upgrade I'd recommend that you call retention and make a stink about it. Who knows, you might get a credit or a free upgrade to the HR20 which does have active enabled now.
post #3819 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

Not off topic.

I called D* retention about this a few weeks ago and they got advanced tech support on the line. At that time all their system said was mid summer (they're late) and the tech didn't have any update about it. Earl over at DBSTalk says that it's coming but he also hasn't heard when.

If you have the NFL-ST SuperFan upgrade I'd recommend that you call retention and make a stink about it. Who knows, you might get a credit or a free upgrade to the HR20 which does have active enabled now.

I have the H20 and the HR20, along with ST and SF. I am not aware of any interactive components on the HR20 for SF. Which one in particular are you talking about?

By the way, an upgrade from the H20 to the HR20 is free. You just have to be aware that the HR20 is only a month old and some boxes experience a few "quirks". Mine has been solid however, so far.

bill
post #3820 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt1111 View Post

I have the H20 and the HR20, along with ST and SF. I am not aware of any interactive components on the HR20 for SF. Which one in particular are you talking about?

By the way, an upgrade from the H20 to the HR20 is free. You just have to be aware that the HR20 is only a month old and some boxes experience a few "quirks". Mine has been solid however, so far.

First, the Gamemixes are interactive, and I wanted the player tracker most of all...

and Second, if I were to just call regular old 1-800-D*, I could easily set up an upgrade from H20 to HR20? What about my lease?
post #3821 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM

My neighbor's H20-100 interactive works but I was not impressed with it. It slowed his box down to a crawl and wouldn't remember the zip codes for the local weather. Too buggy.

He says he enabled interactive by forcing an "02468" update. I tried that, but I don't have an H20-100 any more (mine died and has been replaced with an H20-600). This is my 4th H20 receiver. I've had -100s (RCA) and -600s (LG) go belly up.
post #3822 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can finally agree with those that have posted that D* will replace an H20 with an HR20 for free. It is on a "case by case" basis & took several attempts.
The only "stopper" now is the activation. I was told [earlier] by D* that if it was de-activated within 7 days that the two year commitment would be cancelled.
I haven't seen any H series unit work well [yet] & want/need to work with it before I agree to a 2 year commitment.
D* now claims once you've activated it you're committed & what the supervisor told me was in error [false].
With their track record, I'm not about to blindly enter into any commitment.

Anybody know which is correct? Do we have 7 days or not?

A.K.A. VOS
post #3823 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First, the Gamemixes are interactive, and I wanted the player tracker most of all...

I didn't realize that was what you meant by interactive. I used the "score update" to surround the HD game I was watching with scores from other games. What I was hoping for was that I could interchange the game I was viewing and keep the scores there. No such luck. Every time I changed channels I had to re-request the scores. Takes too long and I change games too much for that feature to be of value. They need an HD Red Zone channel with that feature. That would be cool.

Quote:

and Second, if I were to just call regular old 1-800-D*, I could easily set up an upgrade from H20 to HR20? What about my lease?

That's all I did.

Step 1 - call customer retention. The number is posted in dozens of places in this forum.

Step 2 - Tell them nicely that since you are a "Great" D* customer, and a ST and SF subscriber, you would like to upgrade your H20 to a HR-20.

Step 3 - They may want to charge you a discount price. If that happens, politely refuse and say you are willing to pay the shipping charge of $19.99. If that doesn't work, hang up, call back and talk to another rep. I would be surprised if it doesn't work the first time. They want as many HR20s out there as possible. Of course this depends on the availability of HR20s in the hands of the install crews, in your particular market. They CANNOT guarantee an HR20. They can only guarantee a HD DVR. It is highly likely that it will be an HR20.

Step 4 - When the installer shows up to install the HR20, you can deactivate any one of your receivers. It does not have to be the H20. In my case I deactivated one of my older SD receivers and put the activated H20 in that room. The installers, and D* could care less. They are not required to carry any box away.

bill
post #3824 of 6205 Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I didn't realize that was what you meant by interactive. I used the "score update" to surround the HD game I was watching with scores from other games. What I was hoping for was that I could interchange the game I was viewing and keep the scores there. No such luck. Every time I changed channels I had to re-request the scores. Takes too long and I change games too much for that feature to be of value. They need an HD Red Zone channel with that feature. That would be cool.

Well, that score wrap that goes around the screen is also an interactive feature not available on the H20. And yes, an HD Red Zone channel would be the only channel I watch on Sundays.

Quote:

That's all I did.

Step 1 - call customer retention. The number is posted in dozens of places in this forum.

Step 2 - Tell them nicely that since you are a "Great" D* customer, and a ST and SF subscriber, you would like to upgrade your H20 to a HR-20.

Step 3 - They may want to charge you a discount price. If that happens, politely refuse and say you are willing to pay the shipping charge of $19.99. If that doesn't work, hang up, call back and talk to another rep. I would be surprised if it doesn't work the first time. They want as many HR20s out there as possible. Of course this depends on the availability of HR20s in the hands of the install crews, in your particular market. They CANNOT guarantee an HR20. They can only guarantee a HD DVR. It is highly likely that it will be an HR20.

Step 4 - When the installer shows up to install the HR20, you can deactivate any one of your receivers. It does not have to be the H20. In my case I deactivated one of my older SD receivers and put the activated H20 in that room. The installers, and D* could care less. They are not required to carry any box away.

If I were to use my H20 on a SDTV, would the SD channels show up funny? And if I were to replace my H20, would that violate the 2 year lease?
post #3825 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:

...If I were to use my H20 on a SDTV, would the SD channels show up funny? And if I were to replace my H20, would that violate the 2 year lease?

Connect the H20 to an SDTV via the S-video or composite (RCA) Video & Audio jacks.
Change the TV type to "4x3" in the setup menu.
I the picture looks "weird" (it shouldn't), hit the format button until the picture looks the way you want it.

Replacing the H20 with a newer type HD receiver or DVR will restart your 2 year programming commitment beginning on the day you activate a new receiver.
post #3826 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I know the units are now 'leased' and folks are not likely to hack them, but has anyone tried improving cooling to improve reliability? Ideas that come to mind include adding a fan or running the unit 'naked', at least for testing.
I plan on buying one of these: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...monitor_review
to check power draw.
post #3827 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

I know the units are now 'leased' and folks are not likely to hack them, but has anyone tried improving cooling to improve reliability? Ideas that come to mind include adding a fan or running the unit 'naked', at least for testing.
I plan on buying one of these: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...monitor_review
to check power draw.

There are dozens of posts featuring various USB fan options and ideas in this thread. You may want to do a search in this thread for "USB" and you find a few of them.

We would all be interested to know exactly what the current draw of the H20 is. What model do you have, the 100 or the 600? Do you have any other D* receivers you can compare it to?

bill
post #3828 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We would all be interested to know exactly what the current draw of the H20 is. What model do you have, the 100 or the 600? Do you have any other D* receivers you can compare it to?

a 600.
I can compare it to my ts160.

edit: I checked some of those posts. They mention the fans but no real info on whether improving cooling gained anything stability-wise.
post #3829 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

a 600.

edit: I checked some of those posts. They mention the fans but no real info on whether improving cooling gained anything stability-wise.

I think the premise is that a cooler receiver is a better performing receiver, but you would have to judge that for yourself in your particular scenario and environment. I installed this one from Targus for $20 on ebay I think.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...R_ID=!ORDERID!

It lowered the temperature on the top of my 600 from 107 to 100 degrees. But I never had any problems with my 600 before or after so I don't know if it would fix a percieved problem that you have.

If you are sure your H20 is failing regularly or defective a fan probably won't bring it back. Just call D* level 2 tech support (8887137772) and tell them nicely that your H20 is locking up all the time and request another one be sent overnight. Do not negotiate and do not troubleshoot. Just be firm that it is dead and you need another one. It will arrive overnight. In all likelihood you will get a refurbed 600 that runs cooler.

EDIT: Some markets have problems with their MPEG4 streams, some do not. Don't confuse MPEG4 audio sync problems and pixelization with a bad H20. Replacing it will just result in the same problem.

bill
post #3830 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not currently having issues...I actually just got through activating it. I would like to be pre-emptive rather than wasting my time repeatedly RMAing a poorly designed unit....especially if the 'new/refurbished' unit is the same exact design. The time wasted on hold with D* just to get the new card married was bad enough.
The comments in this thread are not confidence inspiring. If minor cooling mods can save me that time/trouble down the line, it will be worth it.
post #3831 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:

I think the premise is that a cooler receiver is a better performing receiver, but you would have to judge that for yourself in your particular scenario and environment. Some markets have problems with their MPEG4 streams, some do not. Don't confuse MPEG4 audio sync problems and pixelization with a bad H20. Replacing it will just result in the same problem.

Had the opportunity to do an interesting comparison the past week.

I checked my H20-600 (which recently got moved into another room), as well as an older TS-160 and my newer HR20-700 HD DVR.

All ran for at least 3 hours non-stop - and I used the same expensive digital thermometer for sampling:

H20 receiver - about 102 degrees
Samsung TS-160 - about 106 degrees
HR20 - 700 DVR - about 100 degrees

The H20 is a year old, the Samsung 2 1/2 years old, and the H20-700 less than 2 weeks old. Temps were all within 6 degree range, and IMHO, not that hot at all. MY old VCR is almost the same temp after 3 hours.

Of the 2 dozen or so H20 owners I know of personnally (and seen their equipment in action), only 1 had a heat issue, and he got a quick replacement from D* - no problems since (and they gave him a refurb H20-600, not a 100 model). MPEG 4 locals on the H20 and HR20 are both solid.

Three units, 3 technologies, 3 manufacturers - no heat problems. The Sammy TS-160 even works as well as the day it was bought.

It is unfortunate that some have experienced heat issues, but I suspect that since we tend to hear only from those with problems, and mostly not from those of us who have no problems, the perception is somewhat misrepresentative of the tens and hundreds of thousands of OK units in the field.

FIOS = Forget It Operating (anytime in most areas) Soon
post #3832 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satmeister View Post

H20 receiver - about 102 degrees
Samsung TS-160 - about 106 degrees
HR20 - 700 DVR - about 100 degrees

It is unfortunate that some have experienced heat issues, but I suspect that since we tend to hear only from those with problems, and mostly not from those of us who have no problems, the perception is somewhat misrepresentative of the tens and hundreds of thousands of OK units in the field.

I agree. My H20-600 is unmodified. It runs at 107 degrees as measured on the top with a digital thermocouple, and it is hot to the touch. I have had it for 4 months. Never had a single problem, lockup, or reset. It is on 24x7 and always runs great with great PQ. My HR20 runs at 102 degrees and is hot to the touch as well. I have not heard one person complain that it is too hot, despite the usual plethora of bugs with new hardware platforms. What a difference 4 degrees makes!

D* installed somewhere between 750,000 and 1 million of these boxes in a year. H20 owners did not come to this forum to say it was working great. They only post problems and frustrations. Hence there is a skewed perception that the H20 is LIKELY to fail or have problems. Nothing you said could convince some readers otherwise because all they read about were the problems that supported their point of view. The same thing is going on with the HR20 now. It is fascinating to watch.

bill
post #3833 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm not currently having issues...I actually just got through activating it. I would like to be pre-emptive rather than wasting my time repeatedly RMAing a poorly designed unit....especially if the 'new/refurbished' unit is the same exact design. The time wasted on hold with D* just to get the new card married was bad enough.
The comments in this thread are not confidence inspiring. If minor cooling mods can save me that time/trouble down the line, it will be worth it.

Somewhere in the posting was a recommendation to raise the unit [-600] off the shelf to improve air flow.
I used some "2x4" to raise it & saw a drop in temp.
A Cheap way to see.

A.K.A. VOS
post #3834 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:

a 600.

Check my post on page 119

Stability has been rock solid
post #3835 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM

Well ,my refurbished H20-600 arrived yesterday. I had it on for 5 minutes and the top was burning HOT. I believe that this unit came back to DTV and they just put a refurbished unit label on it. It is on its way back to DTV. Supposed to send out another one;we will see what happens
It even had the prior owner's zip code left in it for local channels.
It is a shame what has happened to DTV quality equipment.
I had many Sony units in the past and never had issues.
Why did DTV discontinue the practice of various manufacturers making there equipment.
post #3836 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

D* installed somewhere between 750,000 and 1 million of these boxes in a year. H20 owners did not come to this forum to say it was working great. here is a skewed perception that the H20 is LIKELY to fail or have problems. Nothing you said could convinThey only post problems and frustrations. Hence tce some readers otherwise because all they read about were the problems that supported their point of view. The same thing is going on with the HR20 now. It is fascinating to watch.

I for one will disagree with that as I am 2 for 2 bad units in less than 6-months. LG POC!!!

Acts 17:27
"His purpose in all of this was that the nations would seek after GOD and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him-though he is not far from any of us"
Yamaha Drum kit....
post #3837 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlockshin View Post

... It is a shame what has happened to DTV quality equipment.
I had many Sony units in the past and never had issues.
Why did DTV discontinue the practice of various manufacturers making there equipment.

Actually they never had that many manufacturers, although there have been a lot of brands over the years. Most newer branded boxes have been clones of another manufacturer's brand (including many Sonys, made by LG/Zenith). The bulk of receivers have been mfg'd by RCA. Also, LG, Hughes, and Samsung.

D* decided to standardize receivers, remotes and GUIs to make customer support easier, and have more control over the subscriber. It also makes leasing and refurb of returned boxes simpler. That makes good business sense, but their cost cutting in STB manufacturing is coming back to bite them, as is apparent with the H20s.

AFAIK, most current boxes are made by RCA (-100s), LG(-600s) and Pace(-700s), with the DirecTV logo on the box, instead of the actual manufacturer name.
post #3838 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks. But, i still prefer my Samsung TS 160 over the H20
It works better,has better menus and options
I hate to give it up,but MPEG4 dictates the facts
post #3839 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 05:33 PM

I just got the HD20 receiver my question is got 3 LNB dish can i get any hd channels from the dish got now thanx for the help
robert
post #3840 of 6205 Old 09-22-2006, 06:36 PM
rad
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rloper View Post

I just got the HD20 receiver my question is got 3 LNB dish can i get any hd channels from the dish got now thanx for the help
robert

You should be able to get all the HD channels except for any local into local HD channels and maybe your HD RSN if D* is carrying it in your area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page