Review - Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switch (no sparkles @ 1080p 60Hz & 50ft HDMI cable) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 596 Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have the 5x1 monoprice switch and it worked until I got the new Panasonic BD-55. The player will not play through the switch. I just received the 4x1 1.3b certified switch. Hopefully that will work.

Rudy81
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 596 Old 12-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

I have the 5x1 monoprice switch and it worked until I got the new Panasonic BD-55. The player will not play through the switch. I just received the 4x1 1.3b certified switch. Hopefully that will work.

Well, that didn't work for me when it tried to hook up my BD55 to my Panny TH50PZ77U HDTV. It passed 1080i but not 1080p. I was hoping that the 5X1 would work.

Can anyone help me and others select a switch that will work with the new Blu-ray players? I would certainly like to eliminate the "trial-and-error" procedures and the associated costs for shipping every time you have to return a switch.

What are the things to look for in the specs that will assure that a switch will work?

Which switches have worked consistently with the new Blu-ray players?

Is cable selection for the inputs critical?

Is there a problem with the handshake with some Blu-ray players or HDTVs?

I would really appreciate answers to these questions by some of the experts that participate. Thanks!
post #573 of 596 Old 12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Sorry for your trouble, I don't have a 1080p capable projector, so I had not tried that resolution....only 1080i and less. Have you tried varying the start sequence of your monitor vs. the player vs. the switch? HDMI is a very problematic standard and has caused the users a ton of consternation.

Rudy81
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 596 Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Well I have isses as well!!! Darn it!
I have all Bluejean HDMI cabinets had no issues and finally set up to install the switcher.I purchased the 4 to 1 switcher well as a fact i ordered 2 of them.

So today i set out to install the switcher so we can add in the Wii to the mix. Only to find out nothing works out of the switchers.Yes I swapped out the first switcher with the second one I purchased!! Still no pictures at all.

I am using my
Epson 6100
Panasonic BD35
Toshiba HD
Motorola HD cable box.

The only thing I can get for a few seconds of HD cable used in position 1 then 2 and 3 I used for the BR and the HD.

I pulled the switcher out and no issues at all.

Guess I will be returning them both

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #575 of 596 Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to bump this topic but I recently (yesterday) got this switch and am having problems.

The issue I'm having is that any time I turn the TV (Sharp Aquos 52") off, or switch channels, the switch stops broadcasting a signal the led in front goes red (which is normal, I guess, since the hdmi port on the TV powers down)... however, turning the TV back on, or going back to the hdmi input (input 4 in my case) does not bring the picture back.

The led in front stays red and I have to unplug everything from the switch, plug it back in and then do a power cycle to get a signal.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
post #576 of 596 Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 PM

I also had issues and now have the 2 switchers sitting in the boxes ready to return them. Both did not work period.

I was trying to use them for
room one
Panasonic plasma
Motorola HD cable box
Sony Blue Ray

No luck at all I tried all diferent locations 1-5 no luck at all

second room
Epson 6100
Panasonic BR
Motorola HD cable box

Same thing but got audio no picture at all.

So sending them back
post #577 of 596 Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The whole HDMI standard set up is a mess. I have a Monoprice 4 X 1 and I Could not get my Toshiba XE DVD player to work at all. Finally figured out how to get the "handshake" by turning the Toshiba on last, then it works. It shouldn't be this way but every company's HDMI standard is a little different.
post #578 of 596 Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I've had the Monoprice 4 x 1 switch for about eight months. The switch worked fine for 1080i and 720p with my old RPTV, but it won't pass 1080p/60 from my Xbox 360 and my Oppo 980 to my Epson 1080 projector. I understand at least one other recent Epson 1080 purchaser had the same experience.

I ended up buying the 3 x 1 HDMI switch from Oppo. The Oppo switch works rock solid. Kind of a shame to have to pay three times as much and give up an HDMI port, but I'll take reliable performance over being limited to 1080i bandwidth.

Monoprice normally makes excellent products. I've had nothing but good experiences with their cables and several other products. It looks like the HDX-401E HDMI switch just doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to 1080p at 60 Hz.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #579 of 596 Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It's not a bandwidth problem, but has everything to do with handshaking. I pass [email protected] from my HTPC (DVI) and TViX M-4100SH (HDMI) through a 401 to my Samsung LCDTV (HDMI) all the time with no problems. But with the various interpretations from different manufacturers of the HDMI specs it's a crap shoot as to whether or not a specific combination will work.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #580 of 596 Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any consensus on if the current 4x1 or 5x1 (rev 3.0) would be a better bet from Monoprice? I am in the market since the Satechi model I am using now does not play well with my Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray player or Motorola DCT-3412 cable box. Thanks for any advice.
post #581 of 596 Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a similar question. I have an OPPO 983H DVD player and recently purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray DVD player. SInce I have an old Panasonic 42PX20 plasma TV with only one HDMI inlet, I am looking for an HDMI switch.

Will the Monprice 4x1 or the 5x1 HDMI switch work better in my case?
post #582 of 596 Old 07-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Well since I didn't get any further info I went ahead and ordered a 4x1 switch. Keep in mind I am also going through a Yamaha RX-V1700 (HDMI 1.2) receiver. The receiver only has 2 inputs so that is why I needed a switch as well. This is going into a Panasonic TC-P54G10 Plasma.

I had pretty mixed results depending on the cable I used and where in the chain I used it. This was VERY frustrating as I have all Monoprice cables. The different cables I used were their plain black 28awg (3 & 6'), 28awg colored (3') and 24awg net jacketed (6'). These are all HDMI 1.3 certified cables.

I have the following equipment which I tired on the switch:
1. Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray player
2. Motorola DCT3412 Dual Tuner HD PVR cable box (pretty old)
3. Xbox360 w/HDMI (about 1 year old)

4x1 -> Receiver -> TV

I ended using the cable box and Xbox360 through the switch.

The Panasonic BD player produced sparkles or errors depending on which combo of cables I used, and where. So, this ended up going direct into the receiver. I do not know if this would have been any better with no receiver in the chain (4x1 to TV). If anyone has gotten this to work through a similar setup please let us know here.

The Xbox360 had a blank screen depending on the cables. However, I was able to come up with a combo that worked ok through the 4x1

Surprisingly the Motorola cable box was the most trouble free. In the past I had problems with it on an older (non 1.3) HDMI switch and was thinking it would give me the most headaches. Settings would always be reset to defaults when powered on. In reality this worked fine with my setup going through the 4x1.

My anecdotal evaluation of the Monoprice cables leads me to believe the colored 3 foot lengths were troublesome in this type of application. the thicker 24awg net jacketed cables appeared better. I know everyone says all cables are the same but in this case they were most definitely NOT. All of my cables seemed to work fine with connection directly to my receiver and of course direct to the TV. This is just practical experience so take it for what it is...

I hope this helps, and good luck!
post #583 of 596 Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought Monoprice 4X1 about 8 months ago it worked fine for about 6 months. Then it would only work on D* HR 21 output. Blu-Ray, ROKU and HD-DVD was no go. Switched them around didn't make any difference. Even tried hitting input button several times.

I then bought 5X1 switch it worked for a month but then it didn't work right when I used the individual buttons 1, 2 etc (again HR21 worked) they didn't show up. But when I use the < > buttons it works. Thats where I am with it now.

PS You have to go to the INPUT then turn on device this goes for the Sony blu-ray. Roku is always on doesn't matter HD-DVD I think doesn"t matter.

mark
post #584 of 596 Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachris View Post

I have a similar question. I have an OPPO 983H DVD player and recently purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray DVD player. SInce I have an old Panasonic 42PX20 plasma TV with only one HDMI inlet, I am looking for an HDMI switch.

Will the Monprice 4x1 or the 5x1 HDMI switch work better in my case?

I have a 4X1 that works if I turn things on in the right order. Their 2X1 manual switch is cheap and rock solid.
post #585 of 596 Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got the 4 x 1 Monoprice switcher the other day. I needed it because my Onkyo receiver only has two inputs and I recently purchased a CinemaTube media player. I have my PS3 (port 1) and CinemaTube (port 2) and the Tube will not accept 1080p/60 in the resolution settings.

I can take the switcher out of the loop and it accepts it just fine. The PS3 appears to work just fine with the switcher however I have only turned the PS3 on...I haven't tried to play a blu-ray or game with it through the switcher. I am using the suggested 24-gauge monoprice hdmi cables so it sounds like I'm doing everything I could do...it's not me.

This would mark the first time I've ever had a problem with a monoprice product. It's been my experience in the past that their "cheap" products are often way better than stuff that costs a good deal more.
post #586 of 596 Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchan View Post

The Xbox360 had a blank screen depending on the cables. However, I was able to come up with a combo that worked ok through the 4x1

Update to my experience with the 4x1 switch. The Xbox360 has proved to be finicky. After getting Modern Warfare 2 I quickly fired up the machine and had to update all the software for the Xbox since I hadn't used it in a while. It appears after these updates I am now having random issues through the switch. It appears to flickr in and out and sound keeps changing back and forth from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital (as displayed on my receiver). I have to turn things on/off or plug/unplug cables to get it to work sometimes. Other times if I get lucky it will come up. Very frustrating. I thought HDMI was supposed to "just work". Wishful thinking...

I may be faced with switching either my Cocmast cable or Xbox back to component to avoid these issues.
post #587 of 596 Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'll be getting the Monoprice 5x1 probably tomorrow along with two of their three-foot HDMI cables. My Sony KD34XBR960 only has one HDMI input. Don't need five intputs (at this point only have a SA 8300 DVR and recently purchased Panasonic AE18 DVD recorder with 1080i upconversion) but saw the many complaints of the 4x1 unit with much more satisfaction posted for the 5.1.

Temporarily have the DVR hooked up via component but the picture has a bit more punch coming through HDMI, hence the decision for the switch box.

Wish me luck. Will let you know in a day or two how it works.
post #588 of 596 Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namlas View Post

The issue I'm having is that any time I turn the TV (Sharp Aquos 52") off, or switch channels, the switch stops broadcasting a signal the led in front goes red (which is normal, I guess, since the hdmi port on the TV powers down)... however, turning the TV back on, or going back to the hdmi input (input 4 in my case) does not bring the picture back.

The led in front stays red and I have to unplug everything from the switch, plug it back in and then do a power cycle to get a signal.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I am experiencing the same problem as namlas. I have to unplug/plug the switch to activate the connections. Any solutions? I have a DYNEX HDTV-DX-LCD42HD-09, AppleTV, ATT U-verse box and a Samsung BD-P1500.
post #589 of 596 Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Got it today and so far so good. Picture quality as superb as before. Both inputs go on and no problem changing between them. Remote works perfectly although I had to tape up the lid for the remote's battery compartment for it wasn't holding on it's own (let that be the worst of my problems .

UPDATE: Nearly three weeks later and no problems. The switch is great.
post #590 of 596 Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
In my home theater setup, I need to add two more HDMI devices but my Sony A/V STR-DG810's three HDMI ports are already in use.

I configured the Monoprice HDX-501 switch to accept the two additional inputs and one of the input that had been going though my receiver and fed the output HDMI back into the receiver's input. The switch's input red lights worked great to indicate they were receiving signal, but the output (green light) did not work at all. I was not able to manually select an input to use via the push button on the switch or via the remote.

If I connect the switch output directly to my Vizio HDTV, it works great. Unfortunately, that won't work for me since I need the sound and switching to go through my HT setup.

Monoprice tech support had me try some different cables, but that didn't solve the problem. They are going to swap the unit out in case it is defective, but I think there is an incompatibility issue that I will have to solve perhaps with a different brand of HDMI switch.
post #591 of 596 Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM

My experience has been that perhaps one switch will work great by itself (either AVR or Monoproce) but when combining them there are issues. I gave up on mine after trying to do what you are with a Yamaha receiver with 2x1 HDMI (RX-V1700) and the 4x1 Monoprice switch. I have since upgraded to a new AVR with 5x1 HDMI and I even have issues sometimes with that alone. I think HDMI just didn't live up to the ease of use it was supposed to bring with the single cable solution...
post #592 of 596 Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 217
As everything veered from the original topic, I'll put my two cents in and mention that my 4x1 HDMI 1.3b switch works just fine. However, my display (Mits 57732) and receiver (HK AVR 247) are both HDMI 1.2. I do no deep color or high-res codec bitstreaming--only multichannel PCM, DTS and DD from my Dish Network vip 622 HD DVR, my LG BH200 Blu-ray/HD DVD player, my Tosh A20 HD DVD player and my Philips upconverting DVD recorder.
post #593 of 596 Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I own the 47pfl7403D/f7 tv, onkyo 605 receiver, rca vcr, panasonic 80 bluray player, toshbia bluray, ps3, roku, direct tv HD, and a philips upconversion dvd player. I have 2 meters HDMI cables from from my stuff to the tv and receiver. I have ordered the switcher and hope to get it on tuesday. I also have the harmony 720 remote. Iwas having problems setting it up. do I really need to leave everyone on with I use the switcher? I will have the toshiba, ps3, direct tv, roku, philips dvd player hooked up to the switcher.

thanks.
Jacob
post #594 of 596 Old 12-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I own the 47pfl7403D/f7 tv, onkyo 605 receiver, rca vcr, panasonic 80 bluray player, toshbia bluray, ps3, roku, direct tv HD, and a philips upconversion dvd player. I have 2 meters HDMI cables from from my stuff to the tv and receiver. I have ordered the switcher and hope to get it on tuesday. I also have the harmony 720 remote. Iwas having problems setting it up. do I really need to leave everyone on with I use the switcher? I will have the toshiba, ps3, direct tv, roku, philips dvd player hooked up to the switcher.

thanks.
Jacob

No you will not have to leave the non active sources powered on when using the switch.
post #595 of 596 Old 12-26-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
thanks.. how do I go about programing the harmony for it? I cannt get the ustily thing to work. where I list the 5 items.. then it wants me to list the channel that the direct tv will be on.. but does not give me an HDMI 1 option.
do I go into the toshiba and other stuff and tell it to be on dvd from the receiver and the HDMI 1 for the tv? the harmony remote set up.

I got the HDMI switcher today. I got it working for the most part with the harmony remote. hopefully get in touch with harmony and ask some questions.

Jacob
post #596 of 596 Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBafka View Post

I am experiencing the same problem as namlas. I have to unplug/plug the switch to activate the connections. Any solutions? I have a DYNEX HDTV-DX-LCD42HD-09, AppleTV, ATT U-verse box and a Samsung BD-P1500.

I am also having this problem. Very annoying to have unplug/plug-in switcher every time. Anyone know if there's a fix for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page