Did my Gefen 4x1 switch fail? Problem with SA8300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first experience with a HDMI switch was 2 months ago when I purchased the 4x1 Monoprice switch. I used it to switch the following:

Input 1 - SA 8300HD Cable Box
Input 2 - Panasonic S97 DVD Player

Output to Sharp LC32DA5U LCD TV

After setting everything up I found that the Monoprice switch would not "hot switch" back to the SA 8300HD. I would get static and would have to turn the TV off and on to get the picture back. It was then that I decided to shell out the extra cash for a Gefen 4x1 switch.

So I got the Gefen about a month ago and it worked perfectly. I was able to "hot switch" between all the devices with everything staying on. :D

But then earlier tonight I was watching a movie, switched to the cable box and I got the same static problem that I had with my Monoprice switch :( . Just out of the blue.

I know that this is obviously a HDCP handshake issue between the TV and the SA8300 HD. But why would the switch work perfectly for over a month and then just stop?

I am going call Gefen tomorrow and pray that they are reasonable about fixing this (I heard horror stories). In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions (other than smashing both the switch and my stupid cable box with a hammer)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I called gefen with a problem with one of their switches. they had me send it back to them, put all new innards in it and sent it back to me like new at n/c. I was not even the original owner.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMax15
I know that this is obviously a HDCP handshake issue between the TV and the SA8300 HD. But why would the switch work perfectly for over a month and then just stop?
Have you tried pulling the power cord on the SA8300, selecting SA8300 as active input, and plugging the power cord back in?

I've noticed many cable boxes like to be the active input (connected to a physical display) when they are first plugged in. If you do that, then later on they hot switch fine, but if they are not the active input when the power cord is first plugged in, they have problems with hot switch later.

As to why it happened a month later, sometimes the cable company sends firmware updates or pings your box to reset it. That might have happened overnight.

I think if it is under warranty you'll have no problems getting Gefen to repair something, but it is best to verify it is really broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
sfhub:

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I tried it and it worked to a T. Everything works normally again. I now despise my cable box even more, but that's another story.

Again, thanks for all your help. You saved me at least a week in sending the switch back and forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page