Pioneer Elite Pro-730HDi needs a home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer Elite Pro-730HDi needs a home

I have a working Pioneer Elite Pro-730HDi that needs a home. I sent a note off to Bob to see if he wants to help rescue it, but haven't heard back yet. So I'm posting this here in hopes that it finds an interested party that will keep it alive. If there are no takers, this will eventually be a Sacramento Craigslist posting.

FREE to the right home!

After sixteen years of faithful performance, my family is moving on from our trusty Pioneer Elite PRO-730HDi 65" rear projection high definition television. This set was, and still is the best of this type of television technology. Even now, its color reproduction is only matched by the most expensive new OLED panels.

It has two HDMI inputs and all the older analog inputs of the time. It has 720p and 1080i display modes. It upscales 480i, 480p, 720p to 1080i. It works fine in both modes with my Sony Blu-Ray player and Roku Ultra (these devices can output 1080p content in 1080i mode). I did have to run it in 720p mode on an older Roku that could not output 1080i.

The good: 65 inches of beautiful HD display, contained within a luxurious lacquer piano black cabinet, in excellent shape. There are two remotes and they both work. I even have the user's manual. And it's all FREE.

The not-so-good: The power supply board has some cold solder joints on it, a known issue with these older sets which causes barely-perceptible "wiggles" most noticeable on thin, vertical, high-contrast lines. And the convergence needs a tune-up, which reduces the ultimate sharpness of the picture, and causes a bit of red and blue ghosting on white lines.

The ugly: it's big (60" tall by 56" wide by 30" deep) and heavy (300 pounds). And it's a little power-hungry, using about 250 watts.

This TV was in daily use until our recent room remodel. A number of years ago I had it professionally calibrated (Hi Bob), and the picture quality was astonishing. Projection TV settings wander with age so that calibration is long gone, but I can put you in touch with the person who did the work. He's still supporting these old sets, and also can fix the power supply if you want. Or you can just keep watching it as is, since it's working fine.

Ok, you're still reading. What's the catch? You have to transport it. You'll have to bring at least two fairly strong people to get it out the front door and down my front walk. And you'll need a trailer or a pickup bed (I will say that getting it up into a pickup bed will be difficult).

And... you have to convince me that you have the right home for this old behemoth. See, I really don't want it broken up and tossed in the garbage. It's too nice. So, e-mail me and explain why you should have this majestic lump of a television.

For more information from back in 2004, see www . soundandvision . com / content / pioneer-elite-pro-730hd-rear-projection-crt-tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page