Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #4081 of 4087 Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The worst of the problems seem to be random. Last Spring there was a period of many weeks when a cable news station I watch would glitch frequently, but I've not seen it for at least 6 months.

Broadcast networks provide shows at about 15 Mbps. On Comcast, cable stations provide shows at 2-4 Mbps. The problem is that we are encoding bit-starved shows that are not very carefully being down-converted. NetFlix and other streaming providers are not only providing higher bit rates, they taking a lot more care in making sure you get a high quality presentation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4087 Old 12-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked: 4568
Don't forget, stuff moves around on cable. They can flip a network from a high-band RF channel to a midband channel in the blink of an eye. You might have had a strong signal on high-band, but not so much on midband. Or the rf channel they moved it to has in ingress issue, somewhere.

This is an even bigger issue for SDV and PPV channels as they may not wind up on the same RF frequency every time you select one.

The key is if you see the same issues watching live versus viewing the recording (assuming you're using the same cable box at the same location for both or watching via the loop-thru of the 1212).

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 12-11-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #4083 of 4087 Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4114
Maybe it isn't on my end. I just saw this on one of the TV shows I sometimes record:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20191213_180821.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	2653668  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4084 of 4087 Old 12-14-2019, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I bought my 1212 HD-PVR 9 years ago and I still have it, but haven't used it in ages. But I am wondering whether I should try to put it back to work again.

The DVR with my Dish box sucks and isn't all that great when it comes to recording shows, especially with time conflicts. Since the 1212 only has component I am wondering about possibly recording from it to my PC. I still run Windows 7 on a box so as to avoid Win10 issues. Don't need HDMI since broadcast shows are in 1080i anyway and I am not up to dealing with the annoying HDCP headaches.

Has the software for the 1212 improved any since 2010? Lol. Encoding in a compressed format, it may be a good way for me to record shows that may not make it to Bluray yet, since the networks are trying to go more to the streaming routes for TV shows but they still fail to understand that folks who live out in the middle of nowhere can't get reliable internet to stream everything, let alone the data caps and satellite internet blows with high latency.

I may have a new use for my 1212 after all.
post #4085 of 4087 Old 01-05-2020, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
When I first read Tanikaze and your description of the problem, it seemed really familiar. I just remembered why. I have a strong suspicion that it is a bad TV signal. I have a Tivo and record every football game and entire seasons of TV shows. My Tivo's HDD fills up so I need to make room by moving shows from the Tivo to my PC. This is a file copy so I am able to get an exact copy of the TV show on my computer.

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I got a new power and digital audio cord. I'm still missing about an average of 5 seconds out of every hour-long recording. There's no consistency to the glitches: I've noticed an average of 10-20 seconds out of a few two-hour recordings this week, all in different spots of a specific TS file.

I hooked up an old laserdisc and did an hour-long recording. I found NO seconds lost, so OK there's some weird cable signal crap being transmitted through my component cables. But I recorded again through LD for an hour and came out with a file only 59:44.

Is it possible that I got crappy software? Or could it be my box is just fried? I'm at the end of my leash. I do have a friend who has the same 1212 unit, unused for years. I will give his box a whirl soon.
post #4086 of 4087 Old 01-06-2020, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanikaze View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions.
I got a new power and digital audio cord. I'm still missing about an average of 5 seconds out of every hour-long recording. There's no consistency to the glitches: I've noticed an average of 10-20 seconds out of a few two-hour recordings this week, all in different spots of a specific TS file.
I hooked up an old laserdisc and did an hour-long recording. I found NO seconds lost, so OK there's some weird cable signal crap being transmitted through my component cables. But I recorded again through LD for an hour and came out with a file only 59:44.
Is it possible that I got crappy software? Or could it be my box is just fried? I'm at the end of my leash. I do have a friend who has the same 1212 unit, unused for years. I will give his box a whirl soon.
The file may have time code issues. Remux it with tsmuxer and see if it fixes anything.
https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR
Tanikaze likes this.
post #4087 of 4087 Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I bought my 1212 HD-PVR 9 years ago and I still have it, but haven't used it in ages. But I am wondering whether I should try to put it back to work again.
The DVR with my Dish box sucks and isn't all that great when it comes to recording shows, especially with time conflicts. Since the 1212 only has component I am wondering about possibly recording from it to my PC. I still run Windows 7 on a box so as to avoid Win10 issues. Don't need HDMI since broadcast shows are in 1080i anyway and I am not up to dealing with the annoying HDCP headaches.
Has the software for the 1212 improved any since 2010? Lol. Encoding in a compressed format, it may be a good way for me to record shows that may not make it to Bluray yet, since the networks are trying to go more to the streaming routes for TV shows but they still fail to understand that folks who live out in the middle of nowhere can't get reliable internet to stream everything, let alone the data caps and satellite internet blows with high latency.
I may have a new use for my 1212 after all.
HC Capture works well. You can try it.. https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/supp...rt_hdpvr2.html
I use an older version 1.1.36187. The newest version glitches when the resolution changes. (it wants you to confirm the resolution change)
Here's a link to download the older version.
https://mega.nz/#!cBhgFA5R!2kx5ZbP-b...SeXD43u0oriZFE
ClearToLand and Tanikaze like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Hauppauge 1212 Hd Pvr High Definition Personal Video Recorder

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page