AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   Want to beta test DivX 7 with h.264, AAC and MKV? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1082649-want-beta-test-divx-7-h-264-aac-mkv.html)

smokey 11-07-2008 01:36 PM

While we are still a little while away from the public release of DivX 7 software, we are looking for users interested in trying out a beta version of the player software. Building upon past beta releases, DivX Player 7.0 Beta 1 now features support for MKV files containing high-definition H.264 video and surround-sound AAC audio.

If that sounds interesting to you, drop by DivX Labs, sign up for an account, and download the preview. We would love to get any feedback you might have.

Thanks!

el Filou 11-08-2008 06:00 AM

Does it support DXVA bitstreaming?
If not, is it faster or as fast as CoreAVC?

chadamir 11-08-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

Does it support DXVA bitstreaming?
If not, is it faster or as fast as CoreAVC?

If you follow the link you'll see that it does not support dxva.

I'm unsure why divx is reinventing the wheel. Why build a new mkv splitter and why a new h264 codec? What features are there that are better than the other codecs out there? Why do we want to help test it?

leeperry 11-08-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamir View Post

I'm unsure why divx is reinventing the wheel. Why build a new mkv splitter and why a new h264 codec? What features are there that are better than the other codecs out there? Why do we want to help test it?

well simply put, they wanna cash in on the MKV piracy.

they did the same with divx3(which Gej "created" by changing the FOURCC code of a stolen beta asf dll from m$), then he sold divx4 licences to everyone.

this time divx will cash in on the mkv/h264 piracy, by selling licences so ppl can play them on standalone players.

Gej oughta be a very smart guy!

JustABDFan 11-08-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

well simply put, they wanna cash in on the MKV piracy.

they did the same with divx3(which Gej "created" by changing the FOURCC code of a stolen beta asf dll from m$), then he sold divx4 licences to everyone.

this time divx will cash in on the mkv/h264 piracy, by selling licences so ppl can play them on standalone players.

Gej oughta be a very smart guy!

Theres a hole in your theory... since when do pirates PAY for anything?

leeperry 11-08-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABDFan View Post

Theres a hole in your theory... since when do pirates PAY for anything?

well they pay to get standalone players genius

and manufacturers pay to offer divx3 playback on standalone players at this point.

why do you think divx hardware support got so huge ? even samsung/philips/pioneer provide it now on their standalone dvd players..

coz ppl encode their vacation movies to divx maybe ?

JustABDFan 11-08-2008 11:13 AM

You're right. And i'll bet the WD TV Media Player sells well to people who like to encode their vacation movies in 1080p.

leeperry 11-08-2008 12:38 PM

...so at this point they need pirate betatesters to make sure that pirate MKV's work fine with their splitters/decoders, so they can sell their technology to hardware manufacturers.

that's a great business scheme, I'm truly impressed

smokey 11-09-2008 09:26 PM

Woah, I turn my back on this thread and you all go and get cynical on me!

I will say, FWIW, that what we do does go beyond pirated content. Ultimately, and especially when it comes to h.264, what DivX is trying to do is get open standards accepted and implemented in a way that actually works for users and hardware manufacturers. No walled gardens in other words. But sometimes that does mean doing things differently on devices than PCs.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

chadamir 11-10-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post

I will say, FWIW, that what we do does go beyond pirated content. Ultimately, and especially when it comes to h.264, what DivX is trying to do is get open standards accepted and implemented in a way that actually works for users and hardware manufacturers. No walled gardens in other words. But sometimes that does mean doing things differently on devices than PCs.

How are you trying to get open standards accepted and by whom? The content industry will not accept standards that aren't made for DRM. It's hard to trust you guys or want to do stuff for you when you've done stuff like pack gator into your installers. Also why should we beta test for you? What do we get out of it?

JustABDFan 11-10-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post

Is there a chance it will support flac or some other lossless codec for audio?

Defcon 11-11-2008 04:10 AM

I really don't care what the reasons (piracy or not) are. The fact is having a commercial company behind an open standard (such as mpeg4/h264) helps in producing better products (both CE and software) and that can only help consumers.

e.g. I bought a $65 Philips player that supports Divx Ultra, and TMPGEnc DvdAuthor. With these I was able to rip and organize my videos and burn them to dvd with nice menu's and effects and they play just like a dvd. The Divx HD codec is not too bad too.

Are there free programs that can do that? I'm sure. Will they work so easily? Doubt it. But as a company I like Divx, they ran the excellent Stage6 site (and yes it was used for a lot of pirated content, probably why it got shut down) which AFAIK was the firts video host with proper HD video and real content.

I just want to see an easy solution to this whole HD mess that I can actually recommend to friends and family. Sounds like with Divx7 we might get 1 click rip, encode and burn.

I don't work for Divx. If you don't want to support them don't buy it.

smokey 11-11-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamir View Post

How are you trying to get open standards accepted and by whom? The content industry will not accept standards that aren't made for DRM. It's hard to trust you guys or want to do stuff for you when you've done stuff like pack gator into your installers. Also why should we beta test for you? What do we get out of it?

I certainly understand your scepticism, and frankly, Gator was a bad, bad move that we regret and learned from, as hopefully demonstrated by our policies in the 4+ years since we got rid of it.

Our push with h.264 and MKV is to get adoption by the CE manufacturers, as we did with MPEG-4 ASP and AVI way back when. The hardware guys have a much different perspective on this kind of stuff than the content people, even when they are both in the same organization, like Sony for instance. CE companies want features that will attract consumers and that they can integrate relatively cheaply. That is what we are working with them to create.

As to beta testing, it's just an opportunity to be involved in the process. We take the feedback we get very, very seriously, and that can actually affect what happens both in terms of software and ultimately hardware. It is not for everybody, but it can be interesting to see how these things develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABDFan View Post

Is there a chance it will support flac or some other lossless codec for audio?

The flac question is a good one. I don't think it is in the plans at the moment, but that could change. Right now the focus is on AAC.

chadamir 11-11-2008 11:22 AM

I'm not saying you guys are an evil company. I think you have done a lot since then and have made some moves to better things. Other things that annoy me though were that your hiring robux meant the end of dvdmenuxtractor which would have been a great tool for those of us who wanted to use mkv to backup menus easily and compress to another video format. Instead we now have your menu creation system which must be built by hand and are a pain in the ass to make. I don't know if divx forced Robux to discontinue work on it, but they certainly didn't see his continued development of it to be a priority. If you're interested in something that will attract consumers, that's it. I'd definitely pay for software to do it.